Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Do You Do With Your Elders?

Comments

• Options
    HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    I actually really enjoy playing elders! I always make them adults, get them a decent job and then age them up and have them retire! Elders are great for having a more relaxed game, my elders are always way more social and do way more than their younger counterparts, mostly because they have fewer worries and more time to just enjoy life.

However, when it comes to the end of their lives....
    I just can't. :'( I can never let them die. I had one couple I was very attached to, and the husband George was about to die. Him and his wife Lillian were beautiful together and I just couldn't let them go. So they live forever in one of my saves. I know that's probably a bad thing but I can just never let them go. I might recreate them and have them live their whole lives from teens to elders together! :)
  • Options
    lunabellelunabelle Posts: 175 Member
    I continued to play my legacy founder until she died. I felt that I had invested so much time, and emotion, into her that I couldn't just ship her off to a quiet cottage somewhere as I had planned to. I had her live in her home with her two youngest daughters (who were teens) and another daughter with her husband and 3 kids.
    When her teens aged up I moved the three of them out together so that the families could expland, generatio 2 could thrive and I could still keep an eye on her.
    When Tilly (my founder) died I actually cried. Her youngest daughter had just gotten home from the hospital after giving birth to her second daughter, they walked through the door, mum gave baby a snuggle and then I got a flash on my screen so Gisele (the daughter) ran into the basement pool area and there was an urn and the reaper disappearing.
    I'd kept her so long and then missed her final moments welcoming new life.
    Having elders around is quite fun though, I will deffo keep them around in the game from now on... Free childcare if nothing else!
    Working on #100BabyChallenge #TwiggsLegacy
    Now up to baby number 64!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @lunabelle what a sad tale. I haven't had many sims die in my games at all, but I do remember a couple of them reaching elders and finally passing away, it is hard not to just keep them forever.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My most recent sim to reach the elder stage was an alchemist. She died twice, though she's still alive and waiting for me to get back to her. She was a self-employed alchemist, and I had decided to finally try out the philosopher's stone. She three death flowers, so I made sure she had them on her. She was turned into a statue twice, but the reaper gave her back her life when her ghost handed him a flower. The statues were worth about $10,000 each.

Since she reached all of my goals for her, I gave her new ones. Now she's working on doing every handiness upgrade possible. Her husband, also an elder, is still working, because they married late in life and I changed his LTW at that time, as he wished to quit his job. He still has a few career levels to gain in order to make his LTW, but he's also doing other things in his spare time, such as training their teen son and other sims in athletic and martial arts skills. He also enjoys napping in the rocking chair now and then.

They still have a child age daughter, who is actually their only natural child together. Their two teens are former plant sims my sim grew right around the time they married.
  • Options
    lunabellelunabelle Posts: 175 Member
    @lunabelle what a sad tale. I haven't had many sims die in my games at all, but I do remember a couple of them reaching elders and finally passing away, it is hard not to just keep them forever.

It is hard but I've given my Sims lifespans of 800 days so really I've given them long happy lives so I should be better at lettimg them go! LOL. Tilly had the lucky trait as well as high athletic skill so she lived for 825ish days! Part of me thought she was never going to go!

Working on #100BabyChallenge #TwiggsLegacy
    Now up to baby number 64!
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    A pair of elder parents died in consecutive days. I was so sad. Like yeah I neglected them a little because I was busy with their kids but still I didn't expect them to go so early... and consecutively. My elders usually live way past their full life bars but these two just died so fast! I think the wife was fed up with her stupid kids and the husband was too sad and that's why he passed right after her :'( .
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    It breaks my heart when my elders pass but I let it happen because I need to move on with the next generation. My elders (all my sims, really) live charmed, happy lives, with as many of their wishes filled as I possibly can.
    33866501212_8ca63362f5_b.jpg
    I always keep their headstones on the lot because I feel less sad about their passing when I know they are not gone forever :)
    33228511604_3ec6370578_b.jpg

• Options
    AdelineRobbinsAdelineRobbins Posts: 140 Member
    I have a hard time letting go, so I only recently got my first Elder. Her husband ate the death jellybean, so he's been gone a while(minus the nights his ghost haunts, of course). I used to play with aging off. The founders of my first family are immortal. They're based off OCs, my favorite OC couple. I just...Couldn't. Forever Young Adult unless they make a mistake somewhere. Left them to the game to handle in this big house. If Story Progression breaks them up, though, I'm grabbing them back.

My one elder lives with her daughter, son-in-law, and two grandkids. She'd maxed her job a little while before aging, so I retired her the day after she became elder. She paints, writes, hangs out with the animals, and helps with her grandkids. Sometimes uses the time machine she made. Basically not much different, just without a job. I like to think my elders would want to stay around to help with the next generation and keeping the house in order. I don't let her do anything I think would be too difficult on her older body, like working out or inventing. I've had enough of her starting invention fires. Just relaxing hobbies. The male dog has taking a liking to her and is constantly going upstairs to lay on the sofa in her room or the bed. I think I'll do that from now on. It's nice having a Sim always around the house when you need them.

Since Isla Paradiso has all those islands, I'm debating sending grandparents over there as a nice little retirement, but still under my control because, again, I have a hard time letting go. I don't trust the game to handle my babies.
    "Fool," said my muse to me. "Look in thy heart and write."
    Kq8qeWk.png
    Wordpress
    Origin ID: Hoshicake
  • Options
    MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I've been keeping my elders with the family. I keep some of the kids in the house to take it over and raise their own families. I've got mods for an overstuffed house. The 'family' gets larger each generation and seems to have kids sooner (the first couple had two kids just before becoming elders). The first two generations have passed on now and the home 'belongs to the third generation, two kids from each of the previous two kids (4 plus their spouses). This third generation has the main bedrooms. The forth generation is still living in the kids rooms on the third floor, some are married with kids of their own, waiting for the elders to start dying off. I've got TWENTY sims living in the house now. I tried moving them out, but no matter what, there will be an overstuffed house and the program won't let me do it (I've just downloaded the 'mover' mod and hope that works). I came across this thread while looking into 'retirement homes' so I can buy a lot to move them into.

The elders are handy around the house with their high cooking, handy, etc. skills and helping out with the little kids. They do get in the way, putting the toddler that just woke up back in the crib that another sims was going to put the tired toddler before potty training the third. By the time the kids are switched, the third has messed their pants and potty training has to wait. Or, I'm trying to have an early birthday for the toddler that is ready to age up (fully educated, potty, pegbox etc). The toddler is, unfortunately a bit tired, hungry, full bladder. The plan was to age up, eat birthday cake to fill hunger, then toilet, shower, bed to fill all their other needs with no need of an adult to do it for them. These elders just wouldn't leave the kid alone to 'age up' and keep taking the kid away from the birthday party. I spend so much effort trying to have a birthday party, that the household falls into chaos. Too many adults about.

These elders (8 of them) just won't die (actually, one did, but had a Death Flower and stayed around as a newly minted elder [note: take death flowers away from elders and give them to infants]). I need that retirement home. NOW!!!!!!! Back to searching for one so I don't have to build, decorate, furnish and landscape my own (maybe I will someday).
  • Options
    PaleIntrovertPaleIntrovert Posts: 64 Member
    I let them live out their golden years in peace!
    Unless the family is broke or if they're close to obtaining their aspiration. Then I work them to the bone.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've been keeping my elders with the family. I keep some of the kids in the house to take it over and raise their own families. I've got mods for an overstuffed house. The 'family' gets larger each generation and seems to have kids sooner (the first couple had two kids just before becoming elders). The first two generations have passed on now and the home 'belongs to the third generation, two kids from each of the previous two kids (4 plus their spouses). This third generation has the main bedrooms. The forth generation is still living in the kids rooms on the third floor, some are married with kids of their own, waiting for the elders to start dying off. I've got TWENTY sims living in the house now. I tried moving them out, but no matter what, there will be an overstuffed house and the program won't let me do it (I've just downloaded the 'mover' mod and hope that works). I came across this thread while looking into 'retirement homes' so I can buy a lot to move them into.

The elders are handy around the house with their high cooking, handy, etc. skills and helping out with the little kids. They do get in the way, putting the toddler that just woke up back in the crib that another sims was going to put the tired toddler before potty training the third. By the time the kids are switched, the third has messed their pants and potty training has to wait. Or, I'm trying to have an early birthday for the toddler that is ready to age up (fully educated, potty, pegbox etc). The toddler is, unfortunately a bit tired, hungry, full bladder. The plan was to age up, eat birthday cake to fill hunger, then toilet, shower, bed to fill all their other needs with no need of an adult to do it for them. These elders just wouldn't leave the kid alone to 'age up' and keep taking the kid away from the birthday party. I spend so much effort trying to have a birthday party, that the household falls into chaos. Too many adults about.

These elders (8 of them) just won't die (actually, one did, but had a Death Flower and stayed around as a newly minted elder [note: take death flowers away from elders and give them to infants]). I need that retirement home. NOW!!!!!!! Back to searching for one so I don't have to build, decorate, furnish and landscape my own (maybe I will someday).
    The NRaas Mover mod is needed to move sims into or away from an already overstuffed household. But you could also use MasterController's Add Sim to add sims to a different household or give them one of their own without the moveout procedure.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Before I started playing my current family, I never really cared much for elders. But this particular save, I've found it hard to let go of my sims when they become elders. It makes me laugh to see grandpa Michael dancing on the kitchen counter while his granddaughter and her boyfriend are doing their homework and trying their best to ignore the weirdo lol. I try not to control the elders too much because I feel I've pretty much dominated their lives, so it's time to let them enjoy old age in peace without the SimGod waking them up at 3am just because she's bored watching them sleep :p
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    I am not really that much into playing elders, but I have a plan in my current vampire-household. Mark, the human, and husbond of the immortal vampire Mazakeen will stay human. Eventually, when I feel its time to replace the plasmadonor he is, I will let him grow old and perish naturally. How much I will micromanage him, is quite uncertain still.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    I do one of two things, I either keep them in my current household and play as them aiding in bread-winning and kid-raising or, I have them move out if the house is too full and have them live nice retired lives with their elder cousins and friends.
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~
  • Options
    alexa426alexa426 Posts: 54 Member
    i play sims 4 but i do the same thing just kind move on and visit every once in awhile. i think it might be fun to start a bakery with them or a store of some kind. @elanorbreton
  • Options
    Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    @PaleIntrovert
    Same
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    drinking-from-the-elderly.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

I find them very useful.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I have never actually played an elder in TS4 but this post is so cute, I might actually give it a go
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    drinking-from-the-elderly.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

I find them very useful.

That's just mean :D
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    @elanorbreton I´m a big meanie sometimes. However, they seem to enjoy themselves. :)
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    PatchouliNittPatchouliNitt Posts: 78 Member
    If the elder hasn't already achieved their lifetime want then I leave them alone to do whatever they want and just play with the heirs. It's kind of fun sometimes. I had one elder who did nothing but exercise on tv for the whole day.

It made me wish that there was some sort of mod that would give sims free will to visit community lots on their own like real people... is there?
    39edf25f4f3d48e6b489772a75136841.gif?ssl=1&w=450
    Check out my simlit here: Chronicles of Patchouli's Sims
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    If the elder hasn't already achieved their lifetime want then I leave them alone to do whatever they want and just play with the heirs. It's kind of fun sometimes. I had one elder who did nothing but exercise on tv for the whole day.

It made me wish that there was some sort of mod that would give sims free will to visit community lots on their own like real people... is there?
    NRaas StoryProgression has an option for this, although it's off by default (SP Extra add-on module required). I never use it as it's all actives getting pushes like that, according to a player-set percent chance, or none. I have enough trouble keeping track of my actives especially in large households when I think they are just in the next room, let alone constantly having to find that they've run away on me and are across town doing something else entirely. :)

Another option, or one to consider alongside of this, is to make such a sim non-selectable by using a command in MasterController or DebugEnabler (both commands do the same thing; MC Cheats add-on module required for the MC version). That keeps the sim in your active household, but you no longer have any control over them so they can do whatever and go wherever they want.

A third option is to evict/move the sim out of the household, then bring them back in again as a Roommate. Since Roommates are NPCs paying rent, not part of the household really, they have their own autonomy and are not controllable.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    PatchouliNittPatchouliNitt Posts: 78 Member
    @igazor Thanks for telling all these! I'll definitely consider doing either the Story Progression thing or the MasterController/DebugEnabler since I'm doing a challenge and I'm not sure if it's cheating if I add roommates.
    39edf25f4f3d48e6b489772a75136841.gif?ssl=1&w=450
    Check out my simlit here: Chronicles of Patchouli's Sims
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Is it bad that I'm sitting here feeling outraged at all the <seeming>callous disregard of our Elder Sims? Yeah, I think it's bad... lol
  • Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    I typically move the elders out and into their own home to enjoy whatever they wanna do. They get invited to the heirs house quite a bit, though. But if I plan on the next gen on not having many kids, I keep the elders in the house. They make great nannies and they enjoy spending all that time playing with the grandchild and going to the park and wherever else with it. It's pretty sweet and I wish I could do it more often than I do.
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif