Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Sims 4. Everytime I look at a Sims 3 picture it zaps any enthusiasm or interest I have in playing it. Maybe I would've appreciated it more at the time it came out but it doesn't appeal to me at all these days. That and I've heard too much about the issues with it to bother waiting 5-10 minutes for it to load, or needing mods, or busted routing/custom worlds, or deleting houseboats, or whatever else just to play it.

Having played Sims 1 for hours and hours, Sims 4 has everything I wanted and need from that experience. Sims 3 veers too far off for me to get into it. Might be interested in Sims 2 a bit but I don't have access to it.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Literally the only thing I like about Sims 3 is how alive it feels and how everyone and everything feels like it moves forward in time. You can see people live their lives and not just be mindless townies who for some reason came from a whole other town to follow a script. Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with the Sims 4.
  • DivineHysteriaDivineHysteria Posts: 732 Member
    TS4 all the way.
    xo0yscju
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    (puzzled look)
    I'm going to guess that a new thread on a different board just got merged into this much older one on the TS3 board.

But anyway, the answer is TS26. The 128-bit version. What all of you 21st century earthlings are still playing down here is so...let's see what's the best word to use...quaint. o:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Today it's Sims 3, since that's what I'm playing. Tomorrow it could be 4 or 2. :)
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    (puzzled look)
    I'm going to guess that a new thread on a different board just got merged into this much older one on the TS3 board.

But anyway, the answer is TS26. The 128-bit version. What all of you 21st century earthlings are still playing down here is so...let's see what's the best word to use...quaint. o:)

Yes, the original thread just merged was in ts4 gen.
  • HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    TS3 for me.

By a long-shot unfortunately.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Maybe next time, the author could put Sims 4 first, then we wouldn't end up with all the unwanted TS4 general threads down in here.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    mebagl15 wrote: »
    I never played TS2 or TS3. So I have to go with TS4.

Lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    (puzzled look)
    Lol, puzzled look indeed. I thought ts3 boards had suddenly been invaded by a hoard of sims 4 fans.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Lol! Die already topic, die. Or at least fall asleep the Aurora way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Maybe next time, the author could put Sims 4 first, then we wouldn't end up with all the unwanted TS4 general threads down in here.

This ^^ and what @igazor said.

At least what @JoAnne65 will happen because this is The TS3 board will threads come to die! :lol:
    aricarai wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »

This ^^ and what @igazor said.

At least what @JoAnne65 will happen because this is The TS3 board will threads come to die! :lol:
    Which is why they move it in the first place :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    mebagl15 wrote: »
    I never played TS2 or TS3. So I have to go with TS4.

Lol

Yeah I must say that's pretty silly. I prefer Sims 3 over Wow because I've never played Wow before. Totally unbiased and objective opinion coming from experience.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

OMG ... They made a Sims 4 ... Why ... :#

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Both games has their advantages and disadvantages, so I'm honestly kind of neutral about this subject now.

TS3 had its open world and entirely customizable everything (in appearance at least), but on the other hand it takes like thirty minutes for me to load up in the first place, and creating custom content for it is slightly more complicated. And as I have all the expansion packs, there's also a lot more for me to do there! Frankly it gets kinda overwhelming at times.

TS4, on the other hand, finally got the toddlers back (and they're so much more fleshed out this time?? i love them), and it handled vampires excellently, so honestly I've been warming up to this game a lot lately. Making CC for it is pretty easy too now, even if I can't do any of that in-game. On the other hand, dear lord there are way too many loading screens and they all last for at least a minute or two, god help me

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have only had time to extensively play Sims 3 in the last few days (on my niece's laptop), but now I'm getting used to everything. Formerly I only played Sims 4.

And I honestly have to say: I want Sims 3 for myself now :D Seriously, I love how:
    - when you call a Sim, you won't know if they don't actually come over as planned, and if they don't then that has an actual reason
    - you can intiate a first kiss while cuddling in the bed, and you CAN actually cuddle in bed
    - the reactions of Sims when their spouse in cheating look like something realistic
    - the husband of the woman that the husband of my Sim cheated with constantly calls my Sim for dates. It's becoming creepy by now. Seriously :joy:
    - Create A Style is the best tool ever. I can easily adjust furniture to fit together. VERY much appreciated! VERY much wanted to return!
    - the attraction system is cool, and so is romantic reputation. "Don Lothario impregnates all" plays out more logically here if he gets caught.
    - the open world really does make a difference; there is stuff happening everywhere, and that stuff makes sense (or would... if I knew the backstory) instead of being random filler material as in Sims 4
    - one of my Sims stole her neighbours' car. Yes, their CAR! Really, how cool is that? She just went there and stole their car! Haha!
    - I seem more tempted than in the other game to actually use community lots. I don't know, it just seems more rewarding to me.
    - I also feel more connected to my Sims, and actually think "hey, that guy I'm playing there is pretty much a ********" (in case of a "one person cheats on everybody, with everybody" playthrough which lasted until the very first victim; I'm actually playing the life of his ex-wife and son now 'cause I don't like him anymore)
    - it's much easier to just throw someone out of the house without having to give that Sim a certain house or something. And this will make it rather difficult to find the thrown out Sim again for a while.
    - teens are shorter than adults, so I can easily tell them apart and not accidentally choose a potential partner of the wrong age from afar
    - it doesn't lag at all, unlike Sims 4 which is sometimes outright unplayable in direct comparison (although I am playing Sims 3 and Sims 4 on two different computers, not sure about the specs right now)

But therefore I can also say that Sims 4 does a lot of things better:
    - toddlers are more fun
    - Sims can actually get all their needs up without having one or two of them at a low level again
    - they can also stay up late into the night without sleeping through the entire next day
    - if you visit a community lot there are much more people (which does cause lag though)
    - there are many many options for furniture in tons of categories
    - you can search for certain objects or categories in build/buy mode
    - the loading times are much shorter than in Sims 3. They're even so short I personally don't care for the amount of loading screens we've got.
    - world management is easier
    - the game tells you directly at which age each Sim you see is
    - you can travel between worlds very easily, which makes the usable surface quite big

All in all though I believe that Sims 3 is slightly better. Most of the features I listed that Sims 4 does better aren't needed at all for 4. Better toddlers, more buy mode options from the basegame, easier need increasing and some quality of life improvements (for the player, not the Sims ;) ) would be nice but absolutely unlikely additions to Sims 3, while I actually don't need 4's filled up community lots that much.
    @Pancakesandwich Nice to read this review from the perspective of someone who first played Sims 4 (I'm approaching Sims 2 the same way because I played Sims 3 first ;)). I share quite a few of your observations (including Sims 4's toddlers). A remarkable statement is this one: "when you call a Sim, you won't know if they don't actually come over as planned, and if they don't then that has an actual reason". Because I have seen this mentioned as something annoying, but like you I actually love that can happen, it feels real in a good way. I like how I don't just have to snip my fingers and things will go the way I want to, I like a bit of frustration. Because that's what life is about and it also brings surprises at times, which makes our sims' stories more interesting. I like how the game interacts with me that way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    @JoAnne65 I fully agree with you. In Sims 4, the game instantly tells you "yeah, he isn't gonna come, because there is no way this teenage Renegades member would not attend school today". Which I don't like. I'd like to simply stay in the unknown until that Sim actually arrives (or not).

The reason for my statement is that my teenage Sim invited Bella Bachelor to his home (literally two houses between their families), so they might finally get an official romantic relationship. He did so twice after realising she wasn't at home. Bella always assured him she would get there but never arrived in three hours of waiting and playing a bit of chess. I actually wonder what she's doing right now, and might switch to her household for a second just to see when I'm playing tomorrow.
    Or another time, where another Sim got invited to dates every two days by the same person, but that person always seemed to find an excuse for not even being there in the end. They weren't in a romantic relationship yet, but how could they be if he's too afraid to actually meet her? Unfortunately just a test save I deleted by now, but interesting nonetheless.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    Both games has their advantages and disadvantages, so I'm honestly kind of neutral about this subject now.

TS3 had its open world and entirely customizable everything (in appearance at least), but on the other hand it takes like thirty minutes for me to load up in the first place, and creating custom content for it is slightly more complicated. And as I have all the expansion packs, there's also a lot more for me to do there! Frankly it gets kinda overwhelming at times.

TS4, on the other hand, finally got the toddlers back (and they're so much more fleshed out this time?? i love them), and it handled vampires excellently, so honestly I've been warming up to this game a lot lately. Making CC for it is pretty easy too now, even if I can't do any of that in-game. On the other hand, dear lord there are way too many loading screens and they all last for at least a minute or two, god help me

Why were toddlers gone in the first place in a genre about life simulation that has been added since TS2? Are toddlers in TS4 more in-depth, I don't know.

TS3 Toddlers
    -2 Traits (Traits are shared with other life stage traits but some restricted.) 28 total traits
    Absent-Minded, Artistic, Athletic, Brave, Clumsy, Couch Potato, Disciplined, Easily Impressed, Eccentric, Evil, Excitable, Friendly, Genius, Good, Grumpy, Hates the Outdoors, Heavy Sleeper, Insane, Light Sleeper, Loner, Loves the Cold, Loves the Heat, Loves the Outdoors, Neurotic, Perceptive, Sailor, Slob, Virtuoso

-Toddler Skills
    Charisma, Logic, Guitar, Painting, Potty Training, Talking, Walking, Writing

-Can go on a stroll, play on spring ride, play in water, play with toy drum, use activity table, be bathed, have diaper changed, swing, use rocking chair, watch tv, use walker/playpen, baby monitor, etc (Some things depending on EP/SP or Store content.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9XGQqgCEs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n294UD2bFBk

TS4 Toddlers
    -1 Trait (Traits are new and separate from other life stage traits.) 8 total traits
    Angelic, Charmer, Clingy, Fussy, Independent, Inquisitive, Silly, Wild

-Adopt as care dependent

-Toddlers have a bed, can sleep on the couch

-Can play games on a tablet

-Toddler Skills
    Communication, Imagination, Movement, Thinking, Potty

-Can climb stairs, dance to music, splash in the toilet, be bathed in the bathtub, eat new meals in the high chair, have drinks, climb and sit on chairs, sofas.

My toddlers can't climb stairs once they learn how to walk or climb onto the chair or sofa, can't play games on tablets and whatever else in TS4 but what toddlers can do is really cool. Although, infants, toddlers, kids, teens and elders too could have been even more expanded. Any time I play TS2 I'm constantly wishing for some of those interactions like singing and teaching lullabies, jump rope, miss mary mack, etc. And I do miss the kids doing handstands from TS1 and my Sim stayed scolding his daughter. At least she was nothing like this daughter. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJsSO27DoY
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    The creative side of me likes the aspect of being able to modify things in Sims 3 a lot more than Sims 4. I played the demo version of S4 and wasn't impressed. The open world concept of Sims 3 is what appeals to me. CAW (once I get it downloaded) is also another aspect of Sims 3 that I appreciate...because I'd like to build my own world to play around in.

I'm not going to get into the appearance of the Sims in S4; I'll just say that I prefer the ability to modify Sims 3 faces to look more like real people than cartoonish figures.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    @JoAnne65 I fully agree with you. In Sims 4, the game instantly tells you "yeah, he isn't gonna come, because there is no way this teenage Renegades member would not attend school today". Which I don't like. I'd like to simply stay in the unknown until that Sim actually arrives (or not).

The reason for my statement is that my teenage Sim invited Bella Bachelor to his home (literally two houses between their families), so they might finally get an official romantic relationship. He did so twice after realising she wasn't at home. Bella always assured him she would get there but never arrived in three hours of waiting and playing a bit of chess. I actually wonder what she's doing right now, and might switch to her household for a second just to see when I'm playing tomorrow.
    Or another time, where another Sim got invited to dates every two days by the same person, but that person always seemed to find an excuse for not even being there in the end. They weren't in a romantic relationship yet, but how could they be if he's too afraid to actually meet her? Unfortunately just a test save I deleted by now, but interesting nonetheless.

I liked when my sims invited someone over and they made an excuse and then you send your sim out to the town and what do you know you see that sim you invited over and suddenly their all apologetic and come over and talk to your sim like it was no big deal they brushed you off. I was always like "Uh huh busy were you, sure you were." lol The call sim instantly over in 4 is VERY annoying.

I'm SO jealous of you guys who can switch between iterations because they all have their fun points. I loved 2,3 and 4. Though I truly do miss open world and CASt I can play until my computer gets too hot that is.

:o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I
    - the open world really does make a difference; there is stuff happening everywhere, and that stuff makes sense (or would... if I knew the backstory) instead of being random filler material as in Sims 4

- I also feel more connected to my Sims, and actually think "hey, that guy I'm playing there is pretty much a ********" (in case of a "one person cheats on everybody, with everybody" playthrough which lasted until the very first victim; I'm actually playing the life of his ex-wife and son now 'cause I don't like him anymore)

I just wanted to touch on these two points you made, because I see a LOT of people saying that "they hate TS3 worlds because they were always empty" or "everyone was always inside a rabbithole" or a myriad of other reasons to excuse the lack of an open world in TS4.
    I absolutely agree with you that there IS stuff happening everywhere in your TS3 world, and it does make sense.

I love that a TS4 player, who only started with TS4, can see this <3

Also, I believe one of the reasonings given for lack of an open world in TS4, and "emotions" and whatnot was so that people would feel connected more easily to their sims. I've always thought that was utter rubbish, and I am so glad again to see someone who started with the newest Sims iteration say that they feel connected to their TS3 sims after trying it.

For months in the beginning, when everyone seemed to be measuring TS4 against TS3 as if TS3 was some kind of Sims antichrist, some of the major excuses were that people could never be connected to their TS3 sims, or that TS3 sims were ugly and like wooden robots. Ugly, doesn't bother me, that's really quite subjective and it's personal taste, but TS3 sims are not robotic. I find them to be far more expressive than the Sims from TS4.

I'm glad that you're enjoying TS3 as well as 4. I hope you continue to do so :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I remember having so much fun with ts3 base game when it first came out. I played it for many months non stop. With ts4 base game, it was meh....

From ts2 to ts3 it was a huge upgrade with open world, more sophisticated skill system resulting in more gameplay, colour wheels, etc. From ts3 to ts4, it feels like a downgrade I am afraid...

If I had the machine to run ts3 I probbaly wouldn't be playing ts4 on and off, on and off....
    @Deshong04 The great thing about Sims 4 toddlers is mainly their behaviour. It's so realistic and recognizable. And they are very focused on the people surrounding them (more so than toddlers in 3, I think toddlers in 2 are better in that respect). And they may have 1 trait, but it's a trait that really matters (I'm in doubt if it really matters in 3, it is possible I give my toddlers the same traits too often). My only issue is that this game isn't all about toddlers, I have to be able to fully enjoy their parents as well. For me that's not really the case. Not for hours and hours that is.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top