Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Actually, when we were delivering meals today I saw a little house I'd love to sim. I'll see how that works out.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Got the last of my fussing done, got (almost*) all the screenshots taken and uploaded! Will post the entry tomorrow or the day after, after I've sorted the pictures and done up the form! :mrgreen:

And as already noted, yep, it's a tree house! I am very happy with how it turned out except for not being able to wrap the bottom stair around the trunk of the tree. Apparently no other part of the tree causes foot stomping hissyfits except the very base, so I can have the upper stair wrap around the tree but not the lower stair. Grar!

here's a sneak peak

Screenshot-63_zps1oh4vk94.jpg

*almost meaning I thought I had them all and had already shut down when I realized I was missing pics of one of her outfits.
    Love it, @creativemetaphor! You used a real tree. I only used the illusion of one as the base. I used greenhouse pieces too. I love them. They are so perfect for this. You picked a great location. Love it by the water there.
    edited April 2017
    @ciane three trees! Had a lot of fun with this one, wish I had one of my own! lol

I'm so glad I got the greenhouse, even with the low cost aside, those windows are just so awesome! And the roof pieces, too!

And I *just* realized how I could have fixed the stair problem - put a foundation around the base and had the stairs climb from that. *facepalm* Ah well.

• Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited April 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #189- New Beginnings

NAME: JasonAnthonySterling (TonySterling on the Exchange)

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9073621

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/pg/MyWorldofSims/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1239463579502397

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20X15 Custom placed lot on the beach in Sunset Cost including lot: 16,499

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: SUNSET VALLEY BEACH! It isn't every day you find a lot as attractive as this one left in the Sunset Valley area- AND AT THIS PRICE! A charming one bedroom/ one bath beach front cottage done in warm natural materials and rustic landscaping. The exterior is done in polished, naturally harvested driftwood with white accents and a topical blue roof. The interior is done in rough hewn, white washed paneling in the main room with smooth, cool plaster in the bedroom and blue tiles, reflecting the sea outside in the bath room. Full wall windows look out toward the ocean while the front of the house has higher placed windows for privacy. Fully outfitted home includes stereo, television and computer for home officing! The roof overhangs the structure as guard against the strong summer sun and spring rains!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None

DhHhFrW.jpg

Tyvqsca.jpg

edited April 2017
    @BuildnShare Just noticed this challenge the number skipped from 187 (Journye) to 189, what happened to 188? Oh I see - thread title says 188, but challenge post says 189.
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    @JasonAnthonySterling That looks fabulous! (will have to wait to look at the rest of the pictures when I'm on my home computer). :)
    edited April 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #188 - New Beginnings

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not yet uploaded

Screenshot-1_zpsfmvlboh4.jpg

LINK TO MEDIA: The Fifth Element (still in progress)

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above slideshow

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 10x15 lot, near Pinochle Pond, cost 16,500

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

Earth

It was the perfect lot for Fern, a small grove of trees out near Pinochle Pond. Some low stone walls were all that was left of whatever had once been here.

Small lots were usually easy, but this time it came with two caveats: she wanted the house to have the smallest possible footprint on the ground to preserve the existing vegetation - especially the trees. She was adamant the trees not be cut down. Add to that, she wanted to be able to keep a good garden. That didn't leave much room for a house, but of course I had an idea up my sleeve.

The house itself needed to be as green as possible, as Fern was eco-friendly. I managed to get a good deal on a load of reclaimed lumber, while Fern had a box of old tile fragments discarded from other construction sites which went to line the shower.

Light and airy

The house is supported between two massive fir trees, with a little aspen growing up through the corner of the deck. The re-purposed windows create a nearly 360 degree openness, giving the sensation that the house is not even there, just the trees and floors beneath your feet.

The sleeping loft is open to below and gives access to the upper deck and water capture system. From here, Fern can paint, or just relax in bed and watch the rain fall or the moon and stars shine overhead.

The furniture is made either of reclaimed wood, wicker, or second-hand pieces, such as the old crab pot end table. Even the macrame hanging chair lends to the light airiness of the build, hanging from the branches of the tree and looking out across the meadow to the pond.

Water

Situated above the bathroom is the water-capture and filtration system for the shower and sinks, working on gravity-feed. Laundry? Hand washed and hung to dry.

There is also the unbeatable views of Pinochle Pond where she can get her feet wet and do some fishing.

Fire

Range? Her great-grandmother's wood stove, please. It had been passed down in her family for generations, and she was the latest to inherit the beautiful old piece. The lighting, too, was done with candles and oil lamps. Even the radio was a hand-crank - no electricity in this house! Self-sustaining was the order of the day.

The Fifth Element?

Then there was Fern herself! The word which seemed to sum up this wonderful little woman better than any other was 'elemental.' Fern was like her very own force of nature, a little powerhouse but in such a way you felt energized rather than overwhelmed in her presence.

She had several lengths of fabric she had woven and wanted to be used in the house. These became a hanging and canopy over her bed.

She dreamed of having the perfect garden, hinted at by little plants she had here and there - herbs in jars above the sink, a beautiful orchid on the table, even a little terrarium in the bathroom.

On the porch is her potting table, a box of tools beneath and a jar of mushrooms growing nearby.

After it was all built, she invited me to take pictures. I noticed she preferred going without shoes, so I was glad that I managed to throw a few rugs into the budget!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A

Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    @creativemetaphor HURRY on your pics! LOL! Joking but no, hurry- I can't wait to see your tree house. I wish I had thought of that!
    @JasonAnthonySterling LOL! Oh thank you! Well the pictures of the house are up, I just need to add the last pics of Fern, but the house is ready to view :)

Just browsed through your house pictures and wow, very lovely beach house, and definitely open and airy feeling!
    edited April 2017
    @JasonAnthonySterling LOL! Oh thank you! Well the pictures of the house are up, I just need to add the last pics of Fern, but the house is ready to view :)

Just browsed through your house pictures and wow, very lovely beach house, and definitely open and airy feeling!

Thank-you!

I might have read on your entry where the lot wasn't uploaded as the pictures not being uploaded- lol! It's a GREAT build! You really got a lot of look in for the budget. I'm amazed. I love adult sized tree houses in RL and I've never done one in the sims- I've also not seen the stairs wrapped around the tree trunk! That's brilliant. It's really great- I think it'll be a tough beat!

BTW- I don't know if you were referencing the movie The Fifth Element but it's one of my favorites! Ruby Rhod! He fueled- like fire- that boy's not just hot he's hot Hot HOT! The right hair, right build, right on!

Okay, back to the sims!
    Tiny house @JasonAnthonySterling, but nicely laid out and I love the fun shape!

Oh, I see how you did the tree house supported by the trees... clever, @creativemetaphor!

I just finished my third house based on the one I saw while delivering meals. It's nothing stunning, but it's a nice little starter.

This was my tree house:
    screenshot-611.jpg
    screenshot-58.jpg

And this is the one I just finished:
    screenshot-173.jpg
    screenshot-164.jpg
    @ciane Ooh I love your tree house, too! Almost mushroomy <3 Your second house is super cute as well!

@JasonAnthonySterling Best. Movie. Ever. Super green. So yes. Yes it was a complete rip-off of the name :mrgreen:
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @creativemetaphor - Absolutely brilliant! I love your tree house! I love the idea of being able to watch the stars from inside! Brilliant, brilliant! <3
    @Ciane Thanks! I wanted the house stretch out long, like an american ranch style, for a feeling of space but also so every part of the house had this great view of the ocean. Your tree house is a really cool execution as well- I'd go that route! In the future at some point I really have to give it a try!
  • linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    I won't be able to compete in this challenge, my co ed softball season has just started, playing in 2 different leagues and I either have a game or practice everyday of the week. I like everyone's builds though!! Good luck and have fun, it's going to be a tough competition!
  • SimLover48702SimLover48702 Posts: 153 Member
    I haven't been on the forums for over a year. I need to get back to these challenges ASAP haha :D
    tumblr_mub46s5VJ51so0aeto1_500.gif
    I'm looking to give away some Sim Store points. Since I participate in this challenge and admire so many of the builders I thought I'd just post it here- If you have a wish list and would like for me to gift you something please message me your list or store name personally I'll pick something out. PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ON THIS TOPIC! MESSAGE ME! Anyone who posts here I will simply ignore, sorry but I don't want this topic hi-jacked (even temporally) by those posts. I just wanted to make an offer to people really using this stuff regularly like the builders on this challenge. Thanks! I'll give away til I run out of points- lol!
    That's really awesome, @JasonAnthonySterling!

I found another house to sim and really loved it. I had the price at 16,499 and was CASting when we lost power for a second. Then, while repowering my system back up, the power blinked out for another second... Just enough to mess up my computer! Now, it won't start up after running its internal restart program. It goes to the computer guy Monday to see if it's salvageable. So, for now, like the holiday, my computer is dead. Hopefully, it too can rise again. :)

I hope you all have a happy Easter.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    That really is so kind of you @JasonAnthonySterling!!!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION ADVANCED ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #187 THE SECOND SISTER

Apologies for the delay, your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
    @JasonAnthonySterling OMG thank you so much!! And thank you to whatever kind soul prompted it as well. I'm quite speechless!
    @creativemetaphor Glad you got it! I was just hoping I didn't have the wrong name and was sending it to someone who played the game for three weeks in 2009 and never touched The Sims again-lol!
    Attention Intermediate Entrants for #187 - The Second Sister

Your results have been posted!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Okay, I came up with something that I like okay for this on my mac laptop that has no EPs.

Here's the thread with pics:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/916785/sunlight-start-a-build-and-share-starter-lot

lot is here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9078161

I built it on the Bistro lot in SV.

The lot is 7 simoleans under budget. :mrgreen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top