Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• onehummingbirdonehummingbird Posts: 123 Member
    @glen1974, @Rostri-Jodu and @Wildling I'm in love with each of your designs for totally different reasons, so I guess I'll just download them all. :smile:

@glen1974 I can never say no to a good loft. :blush: I really like how you sized up the green sculpture in the upstairs landing - very playful. I also adore all of the bathrooms. Is that weird?

@Rostri-Jodu I enjoy how the easel punctuates the upstairs window above the entryway; it's almost like a window sign saying "artists live here." Very cute and creepy kids room. :smiley:

@Wildling you should be proud that you stuck with it! Fantastic build! :smiley: I, too, felt this particular family would have little use for a TV.

Seriously, the creativity coming out of this challenge is so great I might have to give the entire city of Windenburg an ultramodern makeover...
  • onehummingbirdonehummingbird Posts: 123 Member
    @popettypop2012 and @StSciurus I can see why you're the experts! What regal modern builds!
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Thank you so much, @onehummingbird it is very kind of you to say that:)
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Thank you so much, @onehummingbird ! Your entry is spectacular! And I have to agree, there is so much creativity going on in this thread. Of course, I love ultramodern design so I'm thrilled to see what everyone has come up with. :smiley:
  • glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    Thank you so much @onehummingbird , that's really kind of you. I love your design too, totally the style I love.
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited April 2017
    CHALLENGE #: 66 - Somewhere
    FORUM ID: faithofkaela
    ORIGIN ID: faithofkaela
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Authority in B&W
    LOT COST: N/A
    BUILD COST: $91,313
    TOTAL COST: $91,313 (lot not included in budget)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS: I made the Klose's a masterpiece in B&W. Plenty of pops of natural greenery help to break up the stark monotone interiors, along with some custom artwork designed by Fatih of Kaela herself. I'm sure they will want to replace these with their own artworks, but it gives them an idea of where the paintings would look best. The art area has on skylight to help let in as much natural light as possible, as does the playroom upstairs. The rooftop garden for the twins has high sided fencing to protect them from any slips or trips :O

SIM: N/A
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None used.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

S0pWiv2.jpg

bLbvikt.jpg
    Post edited by Simming_Spoonie on
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • e1990re1990r Posts: 86 Member
    I didn't see this challenge until today. I am still going to make the house but understand it will most likely not be voted on since it will probably take me a while to complete it.
    When is the next challenge going to happen so I can mark my calendar?
    I am new at building so I want to make sure I have plenty of time to work on it.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    e1990r wrote: »
    I didn't see this challenge until today. I am still going to make the house but understand it will most likely not be voted on since it will probably take me a while to complete it.
    When is the next challenge going to happen so I can mark my calendar?
    I am new at building so I want to make sure I have plenty of time to work on it.
    Welcome to Build n Share @e1990r, our challenges are usually two weeks long and close out on a Wednesday at midnight Eastern USA time. #BNS66 closes tomorrow. The new challenge is posted soon after this. You might make ther deadline, but if you don't, share it here anyway, we'd love to see what you come up with! Just don't use the entry form, or you'll confuse us poor old judges ;)

Have fun and Happy Simming.

GArBA5W.jpg
    Just a reminder folks, we close out the current challenge tomorrow night. Time to put the last minute touches on those builds and get them entered.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • WildlingWildling Posts: 92 Member
    @onehummingbird thank you!
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    OMG, @faithofKaela I love your house. It's so beautiful!
  • golden_glowgolden_glow Posts: 862 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: golden_glow
    ORIGIN ID: golden_glow
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: https://thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/670641241FCB11E78DB776614EDF5718
    BUILD COST: $93,956
    TOTAL COST: N/A
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: imgur.com/a/q9Klb
    ENTRY DETAILS: A sleek modern build featuring a piano nook, large kitchen-diner, double height living space, garage and an indoor garden on the ground floor. Upstairs has a balcony with painting area, luxury master suite, stylish bathrooms and room for the nanny. There is a sandpit and swimming pool in the garden. The lot is decorated with Rothko’s paintings which include portraits of his family. Note: The exterior is meant to be black, white and grey but I couldn't get the lighting to show this.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    Ztp7BOW.png
  • withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    edited April 2017
    FORUM ID: Withlovejulien
    ORIGIN ID: Withlovejulien

LEVEL: Established
    LOT: 3 Bed 95K Ultra Modern (builty on Mid-Nowhere, Windenburg) Gallery link

LOT COST: §1500
    BUILD COST: §94,289
    TOTAL COST: §95,789 (including the lot which was not part of the budget)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS: Minimalist Ultra Modern home where what is not included is just as important as what is included. We were able, we believe, to meet all of the Closes' expectations on the Mid-Nowhere lot they preferred on the island in Windenburg. We chose to orient the home differently than might be expected on the lot to help with our goal of presenting the Closes with an architectural "oasis" where the sides of the home are more secluded than the interior, front, and back. The home is a showplace for the Closes' art collection and talent.The design of the architecture and the décor is centered around the art and the views. Sculptures are incorporated both inside and outside of the home through sculpture gardens on both sides of the house and used as part of the interior design. The home also features accordion fold-away walls of windows on both ground floor wings of the home adjacent to the nearly-indoor pool to truly keep the structure minimized. The rectangular basis of the design is contrasted with curving shapes throughout. The cool, white, monochromatic color scheme is likewise warmed with tones of natural wood and contrasted with beats of dark colors throughout the first floor. Hard, reflective surfaces are balanced with softer textures. The upstairs includes a gallery space and work area for Mr. Close. The rooms upstairs are decorated and situated to be more intimate in feel and each room has doors to a balcony overlooking the backyard.

SIM: Link to Gallery Upload: N/a

ROOM: (Name where the Room can be found on The Gallery or N/A if not entering) Link to Room on Gallery: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Please and thank you!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

The front of the house:
    OQsE1xQ.png

The rear of the house:
    PHAqCyv.png
    Post edited by withlovejulien on
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited April 2017
    FORUM ID: gmcrozier
    ORIGIN ID: gmcrozier
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: 412 Vista Quarry
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/69E2093F1FF511E7837DFE2E14B8A408?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=gmcrozier&max=50&maxis=false

BUILD COST:
    TOTAL COST: 94,654
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/jbjtX
    ENTRY DETAILS: 3 Bedroom, 2.5 bath modern home with pool.

SIM: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    4fiAcxH.png

fK72udM.png

Post edited by gmcrozier on
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Good luck everyone:D Sadly I wont post my entry as it looks pretty much exactly how masajo did it and I don't wanna seem like I'm a copycat x) I'm looking forward too the next challenge that comes later today x)
    OMG, @faithofKaela I love your house. It's so beautiful!

Thank you @popettypop2012 *blushes*
    Challenge #BnS66 is now officially closed!
    We've had some really amazing entries in this time around, much luck to everyone.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited April 2017
    #BnS67 - Footprints In The Sand

“Karl, has my 10 o’clock arrived yet?” You ask through the intercom.

His gravelly voice comes back through the speaker. “No, not yet, I guess they are running late.”

“Hmm.” You think to yourself, “I wonder where they are?”

It’s not like this client to be late. You have known Kaye for a while now, having built their original home, a home for her husband’s parents and an extension to the home you created when she found out she was expecting twins. You haven’t seen the Johnson’s since Christmas and you chide yourself for not keeping in touch, you had become a feature at Sunday lunches, school plays and the such like, they even asked you to be “odd-parent” to one of the twins. But life has been hectic recently and also, since you found out that Kieran was the illegitimate heir to the Hawthorne Legacy you have found it very difficult to spend time with them and not spill the beans.

You step away from your desk and head into the reception just in time to see a harassed Kaye struggling up the steps with the twins in tow. Your mind goes back to the first time you met and you helped her up the steps with Kaiden’s buggy. He was so small back then, you just can't believe he’s well on his way to becoming a senior at school.

Enveloping you in a hug, her Chanel perfume wafts around you. Karl busies himself entertaining the twins so you head back through to the your office to talk business giving him a grateful look as you go.

“Oh my gosh, what a morning.” She says before you can even offer her a drink.

“Kieran sends his apologies, something came up at the lab and he just couldn’t get away, and the twins had a doctors appointment this morning, he was supposed to help out there, but you know Kieran, once he gets his head in his work.” She is smiles as she speaks, and the smile reaches her very green eyes, so you know not to worry too much about the state of their relationship.

“Now how are you?” She asks, those piercing green eyes boring into yours.

“It feels like we haven’t seen you in ages, Christmas, if I remember correctly. Kaiden is always asking after you, he’s nearly finished his bug collection, boy, do I hope he grows out of that one soon. I found one of his little critters out of its cage the other afternoon, boy does that child make a mess.”

“I’m good, really good. I’m sorry I haven’t been in touch more, but things have been so hectic here recently, it feels like I’m never even really at my own home!”

“Well, OK, but you must put the twins Easter play in your diary, they are both playing chickens!”

You smile, you can see how proud she is of the munchkins that are currently laughing hysterically next door.

“So, what can I do for you?” You ask, getting back to business.

“We would like a holiday home. We have an inkling of what we are considering, but it needs fleshing out.”

“That’s where I come in?” You ask with a smile.

“Exactly! We heard that you did a special commission not so long ago, with just a footprint of a building. That’s what we have. We have no idea as to what style etc we want to go with, but you know us so well…” She trails off.

“OK, let’s see what you have.”

She pulls a piece of folded paper from her purse, and shows you the footprint. It is fairly square, but with a couple of small oddities, perfect for this family.

“Ok, I have a couple of ideas. What needs to be inside?”

“Well, the usual. 3 bedrooms, one for Kieran and I, one for Kaiden and one for the twins. At least 1 and a half baths. A decently specced kitchen and a fairly large dining area, somewhere to sit and read and a space for a games table, you know the usual holiday accoutrements. We want to have some outdoor spaces as well, a play area for the children and somewhere that Kieran and I can relax after they’ve gone to bed. Oh, and can you make sure that there are no interruptions from the outside world, I don’t want Kaiden with his eyes glued to the TV or Kieran constantly checking his email.”

“I’m sure I can manage all that. What’s my budget this time around?”

“Well, we were hoping you could do it for $125,000.”

“That will be plenty I’m sure. Oh, where is this holiday home to be located?!”

“Oh my goodness, of course, well, we bought a lot over in Oasis Springs before the landslide and it looks like things are getting back to normal out there, the lot’s name is Slipshod Mesquite, it’s on the edge of town.”

“I know it, it’s where Johnny Zest used to live.”

“Yes, that’s the one. Now I’d better go and rescue my munchkins from your new assistant, it sounds like they are having way too much fun!”

“Yes, but hearing them laugh like that is gorgeous,”

“It’s better than the cries I get most of the time, that’s for sure!!”

She leaves the office and you can hear her giving the details of the Easter play to Karl. He assures her that he will put it in your diary and that you really have been busy lately. He always looks out for you, but you still miss Rose.

“Mustn’t grumble.” You say to yourself and you starting googling for design inspiration.

Brief

Download this footprint from the gallery and do your thing, the style and layout is completely up to you. It can be oriented any way you wish.

$125,000 budget
    A 3 Bed home
    One master bedroom
    One bedroom for a teenage boy
    One bedroom for twin toddlers of unknown gender
    At least 1.5 baths
    A well specced kitchen
    Large Dining area
    Well appointed Living Area (no TV or PC though)
    A place to read
    An outdoor play area for the children
    An outdoor area for the adults

Notes: You can not add to the footprint, however the use of the footprint is entirely up to you. You can designate part of the footprint to be outdoor space. You may add basements and/or storeys if you wish, but if they are part of the indoor area, they may not go outside of the footprint. We will need an Overhead shot of your build with Grid Lines on just so that we can ensure that the rules have been followed.

Sim challenge:
    You can find out more about the Johnsons’ here, here and here. This time around we want to see them exploring their holiday home and generally having a great time!

Room challenge:
    Please build a holiday reading nook for the Johnsons, you have 20 squares to play with, to layout however you wish, and a budget of $15k.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    I might have missed but do you need to use the whole footprint or a guideline where youre supposed to be in?
  • golden_glowgolden_glow Posts: 862 Member
    Is the footprint just for the house or does this include landscaping/pool, etc?
  • SyddyB206SyddyB206 Posts: 353 Member
    Can you add a porch? Can you add a foundation?
    0TSlsxY.jpg
    edited April 2017
    I might have missed but do you need to use the whole footprint or a guideline where youre supposed to be in?
    @WiggleyTuff - some of the footprint can be used for exterior space, you just can't put any indoor living space anywhere outside the footprint.
    Is the footprint just for the house or does this include landscaping/pool, etc?
    @golden_glow - we would ask that you landscape your lot please! You can of course landscape outside of the footprint, it's a lot of land to fill :P
    SyddyB206 wrote: »
    Can you add a porch? Can you add a foundation?
    @SyddyB206 - you can raise the existing foundation, but you can't add to the existing foundation.

Hope this helps, any more questions, shout!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    WOW! There's been a flood of great entries at the end! I hope I hit like on them all because there's parts of all of them that made me go "I wish I had done that" lol!
    WOW! There's been a flood of great entries at the end! I hope I hit like on them all because there's parts of all of them that made me go "I wish I had done that" lol!
    I know just how you feel @JasonAnthonySterling ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top