Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Welcome! Project info, survey winners, & helpful links.

Comments

• BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I hope we find out how they all ranked at the end. It'd be interesting to see how a majority voted and in what order!

Yes I would also like to see that, it would be interesting for Me , :)
  • DanninicoleDanninicole Posts: 32 Member
    Anyone know if the winning pack will be announced sometime today(the 6th) or will voting continue until 12 am tonight?

Voting ends within the next couple of hours:

But we haven't been told, I think, when the winner of it will be announced.

Thank you!!
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Marley V wrote: »
    Are the themes/names and focus of the 5 options final or working titles that may it change in the future?

These are not the official names for the pack. These are just general themes that the pack will be built off of.

Later in the fall we will present you with different names to choose from to vote for the official title of the pack.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    Thanks to everyone who has replied and help fill this thread with some fun ideas! I wanted to be sure to answer some of the questions I saw crop along the way, so here goes...

IngeJones wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham while I understand you can't discuss the budget itself, I hope you will be able to communicate to us when something under discussion is vetoed due to that it would take the project over budget or beyond available resources, rather than not give a reason or make one up.

Part of what has us excited about this project is being more open and transparent with the community. I think we've shown in the past we can discuss a bit of the how/why of things (see my many comments about lounge chairs). You can expect more of those types of discussions as we chat about proposed features as this pack evolves.

@SimGuruGraham while I certainly can understand the limitations of what you can discuss due to your contract with Maxis/EA, can we get some general information along the way? Like how long does it normally take to plan and execute an Expansion Pack verses a Stuff Pack? Can and do you use previous animations from previous versions of the game as a basis for new animations? And maybe have some of the other Devs stop by and do like a question and answer thread or tell us what they do (like work on animations or design new clothes or hair, etc.) as it would be interesting to see the process along the way.

I don't think we'll do much to compare/contrast the development of Stuff Packs to other Sims packs during this project. It's fair to say that each project has its own challenges, and certainly as you scale the size of a project up, managing their development requires even more effort. A lot of what we discuss during this project is going to apply specifically to how Stuff Packs are developed - and I'll try to remember to call out when I'm explaining something about how we operate that doesn't apply to other packs.

As we go through, we'll talk a lot about day to day development, and how the features you play actually get built. We're definitely planning on introducing more members of the Stuff Pack team to the community and highlighting what their work involves.

Marley V wrote: »
    Are the themes/names and focus of the 5 options final or working titles that may it change in the future?

Think of the themes in the poll as a starting point to frame a discussion. We now know that eco living is the theme that won, but we've yet to brainstorm the features for it. Eco living can mean different things to different people... what does it mean to you? Before we get through the brainstorm phase we try not to flat out say no to certain features (unless we know they're beyond the scope of work that can be done in a stuff pack). Instead it's a time to pitch suggestions and consider how they can fit the theme, and what they may add to the overall game.

Actually naming a pack is something that happens once development is well under way. By that time we'll know our theme, our art style, our gameplay features, and the objects and clothing that we're making. That information helps us choose a name that best represents all of those things. On this pack, the community will be voting on what that final name is :)
  • RobynTylerRobynTyler Posts: 38 Member
    @SimGuruGraham

I'm not sure if my idea fits into the theme of Eco living entirely, but to me at least, I feel that Eco living means more than just solar energy & recycled furniture, but also about being self-sufficient too. With that in mind I had a couple of ideas for objects/features for the Eco living pack.
    The first one would be, Nectar making: We had this feature in both Sims 1 & 3 and I think the Sims 3 style of choosing your own ingredients to create new recipes was a great idea. As we already have so many harvest-able plants available in the game, adding something else to use their produce seems inevitable.
    Which leads me to my next idea: Recipe books.
    I've had this idea for a while (but I feel it may have been better suited to a pack like Dine out, or the Cool kitchen pack). Which works similar to the Sims 3 nectar making, in the sense that you could create your own recipes. These could be for cooking/baking, making custom drinks etc.. The book itself would work in the same way as the notebook feature to show you what the recipes need, and perhaps for custom items, for example, pies, you would have a preset of meshes to choose the shape (square, round, open top/lattice etc..) and preset of colours for them too?
    The best example I can think of to describe this with would be the Flower arranging station for Sims 2, which has this preset design and you can then choose the combination you like. Perhaps with the recipes themselves, Sims would have the ability to share them with or collect them from other Sims to add as unique interaction too.

I would very much appreciate any feedback on these ideas and how suitable they would be for this pack.
    And thanks for giving us this great opportunity to not only see how you guys work on these amazing games, but also influence what goes into them too!
  • RobynTylerRobynTyler Posts: 38 Member
    @SimGuruGraham

I'm not sure if my idea fits into the theme of Eco living entirely, but to me at least, I feel that Eco living means more than just solar energy & recycled furniture, but also about being self-sufficient too. With that in mind I had a couple of ideas for objects/features for the Eco living pack.
    The first one would be, Nectar making: We had this feature in both Sims 1 & 3 and I think the Sims 3 style of choosing your own ingredients to create new recipes was a great idea. As we already have so many harvest-able plants available in the game, adding something else to use their produce seems inevitable.
    Which leads me to my next idea: Recipe books.
    I've had this idea for a while (but I feel it may have been better suited to a pack like Dine out, or the Cool kitchen pack). Which works similar to the Sims 3 nectar making, in the sense that you could create your own recipes. These could be for cooking/baking, making custom drinks etc.. The book itself would work in the same way as the notebook feature to show you what the recipes need, and perhaps for custom items, for example, pies, you would have a preset of meshes to choose the shape (square, round, open top/lattice etc..) and preset of colours for them too?
    The best example I can think of to describe this with would be the Flower arranging station for Sims 2, which has this preset design and you can then choose the combination you like. Perhaps with the recipes themselves, Sims would have the ability to share them with or collect them from other Sims to add as unique interaction too.

I would very much appreciate any feedback on these ideas and how suitable they would be for this pack.
    And thanks for giving us this great opportunity to not only see how you guys work on these amazing games, but also influence what goes into them too!
  • nightlightornightlightor Posts: 6 New Member
    In Sims 3, we had the Toyota Prius as well as a solar panel. The more modern company to partner with should be Tesla... Would LOVE to have cars included in this, and the battery for the house as well as solar roof panels are all up Tesla's alley. Also as far as I know Tesla has not yet been involved in any video game components. This sounds like the perfect opportunity for Elon Musk.... just saying.. :smiley:
  • DamianovDamianov Posts: 1 New Member

Hello! I don't know if I am next to the plate but when I hear Eco Living, I imagine adding nature in the mixe in (green alternative) like:
    • having an indoor harvestable garden wall of the house. So when winter comes (in a future pack), the sims would be still able to eat their cultivation
    • adding some eel tanks that could produce electricity and later being able to eat those eels and, since they can produce electicity, the bill would be lower because the sims would be self sufficient (I would feel like a mad scientist with those in my sims house B) )
    • being able to breed fishes in tanks like in sims 3 so it would be fun too <3

This is what I am thinking that may be cool to have. Good night everyone !
    Like I said in the other thread, the only way I will back this pack is if items and chars are added that I use in the future, like Greenhouses, Compost Barrels, Clothes Lines, and Plant Sims themselves, other then that I wont bother with it, but if I know those things will be in it in the future, I just might try to be more excited bout this pack, if that stuff wont be added in the future, then for Me it will just be a boring pack that I wont bother with, Especially since I wanted the Dangerous pack.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Like I said in the other thread, the only way I will back this pack is if items and chars are added that I use in the future, like Greenhouses, Compost Barrels, Clothes Lines, and Plant Sims themselves, other then that I wont bother with it, but if I know those things will be in it in the future, I just might try to be more excited bout this pack, if that stuff wont be added in the future, then for Me it will just be a boring pack that I wont bother with, Especially since I wanted the Dangerous pack.

There won't be Plant Sims. They can't possibly add a new life state into an SP. and it's okay if you find it boring. No one is going to like every single pack. I probably wouldn't have bought Dangerous or Arcade. Everyone's different. I think they are trying to kick out content of varying styles so everybody has something they like. This just isn't for you.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

edited April 2017

There won't be Plant Sims. They can't possibly add a new life state into an SP. and it's okay if you find it boring. No one is going to like every single pack. I probably wouldn't have bought Dangerous or Arcade. Everyone's different. I think they are trying to kick out content of varying styles so everybody has something they like. This just isn't for you.

Again I did not say they would be added into the Stuff Pack, I said if they were added in the future sometime, sigh.
    I did not say it was just for Me, I am not the only one who feels this way, so stop acting like I am thanks.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member

Again I did not say they would be added into the Stuff Pack, I said if they were added in the future sometime, sigh.
    I did not say it was just for Me, I am not the only one who feels this way, so stop acting like I am thanks.

I agree with you. I don't mind the team making a stuff pack about laundry or household chores, as some simmers have been asking for this content. My issue is not that the ECO Friendly pack won, but rather how this "Project" was designed. IMO, I think that the stuff pack team (based on Graham's tweet) posted on the petition for laundry were already planning to make a stuff pack for this at some point. Everyone of these themes have been mentioned in multiple threads on this forum in some way or another for some time. I believe that the Laundry theme is probably one of the ideas that is the easiest for the team to fit into a stuff pack model (because stuff packs generally revolve around a small niche and need less resources and budget compared to game packs and expansion packs).

I honestly believe that it was already pre-determined to make this pack. I just wish they had presented the idea in a more honest way. I think that they intentionally worded the description to ensure that the people who have been asking for laundry felt like they had been "heard". They added in things like solar energy as a means to deflect that it was basically laundry and home decor items. Honestly, laundry and Eco Friendly are NOT the same thing. Most people associate laundry with family life and chores, whereas Eco Friendly with living off the land and saving the planet. Plus to be fair, some of the other themes would actually need to be a game pack or part of an expansion pack in order to really flesh them out because the concepts are too complex for a stuff pack.

I am happy for the people that wanted laundry back in the game, I just wish that they (EA) had presented this as a way to involve the community in the creative process. They could have said that they have been looking at different ideas and feedback from the community and decided to create a stuff pack that would allow simmers to participate in the process. "Through many suggestions, we would like to focus on the many simmers that have been asking for laundry in the game, and have also been trying to tie in some ways that your sims make be more environmentally friendly. Keep in mind that this is a stuff pack, but we would love to be able to create this stuff pack with direct community feedback. During this process, we will be getting feedback from you, the community regarding the Art Style, Objects and clothing, main features, pack icon, and pack title. This pack would be then released in early 2018."

I think that had they maybe used this approach, it would have caused less resentment on the forums.
  • LordDarthSimsLordDarthSims Posts: 1,306 Member
    we should have cars agreed but different pickups semis super sports etc cars
    In Sims 3, we had the Toyota Prius as well as a solar panel. The more modern company to partner with should be Tesla... Would LOVE to have cars included in this, and the battery for the house as well as solar roof panels are all up Tesla's alley. Also as far as I know Tesla has not yet been involved in any video game components. This sounds like the perfect opportunity for Elon Musk.... just saying.. :smiley:

I agree with you. I don't mind the team making a stuff pack about laundry or household chores, as some simmers have been asking for this content. My issue is not that the ECO Friendly pack won, but rather how this "Project" was designed. IMO, I think that the stuff pack team (based on Graham's tweet) posted on the petition for laundry were already planning to make a stuff pack for this at some point. Everyone of these themes have been mentioned in multiple threads on this forum in some way or another for some time. I believe that the Laundry theme is probably one of the ideas that is the easiest for the team to fit into a stuff pack model (because stuff packs generally revolve around a small niche and need less resources and budget compared to game packs and expansion packs).

I honestly believe that it was already pre-determined to make this pack. I just wish they had presented the idea in a more honest way. I think that they intentionally worded the description to ensure that the people who have been asking for laundry felt like they had been "heard". They added in things like solar energy as a means to deflect that it was basically laundry and home decor items. Honestly, laundry and Eco Friendly are NOT the same thing. Most people associate laundry with family life and chores, whereas Eco Friendly with living off the land and saving the planet. Plus to be fair, some of the other themes would actually need to be a game pack or part of an expansion pack in order to really flesh them out because the concepts are too complex for a stuff pack.

I am happy for the people that wanted laundry back in the game, I just wish that they (EA) had presented this as a way to involve the community in the creative process. They could have said that they have been looking at different ideas and feedback from the community and decided to create a stuff pack that would allow simmers to participate in the process. "Through many suggestions, we would like to focus on the many simmers that have been asking for laundry in the game, and have also been trying to tie in some ways that your sims make be more environmentally friendly. Keep in mind that this is a stuff pack, but we would love to be able to create this stuff pack with direct community feedback. During this process, we will be getting feedback from you, the community regarding the Art Style, Objects and clothing, main features, pack icon, and pack title. This pack would be then released in early 2018."

I think that had they maybe used this approach, it would have caused less resentment on the forums.

Exactly, Thank you so much for sharing this cause I felt the same way.
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    edited April 2017
    So, according to the blog, the next step is voting on the art style, starting Monday.
    I'm looking forward to the choices. I think we can rule out Vintage and Mid-Century, since we just got those.
    Personally, I'd love a 60s or 70s look. The first Earth Day was in 1971, after all. Lots of paisley, some macrame plant holders, polyester rayon shirts and blouses, 🐸🐸🐸🐸* carpeting, energy saving appliances in Rust Brown, Harvest Gold, Robin's Egg Blue, or the classic Avocado Green.

*Hey, did you know that if you put an asterisk by certain words they won't show up as "plum?"
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • MissingYourNightmareMissingYourNightmare Posts: 15 New Member
    I've heard some people complaining about potential laundry in eco living, it's perfectly understandable if people dislike the idea but I feel like if you are going to make a pack based on eco living, then you definitely need to give people the option to go off the grid entirely, this would great paired with a pet expansion pack later on and I loved laundry in the sims 3 (though others said it was a nuisance) Like I've tried to play the game many ways but since the Sims 3 I've never been able to play a farmer or sufficiently sustainable eco guy, and even in the sims 3 I never liked to trait so much (the one you got in the Sims 3 ambitions I believe) Because I found the moodlets too powerful, especially as back then there were only good and bad moodlets
  • CupcakeViolenceCupcakeViolence Posts: 124 Member
    I just love everything about this Sim game, and I really don't care what ends up in the pack (laundry would be awesome but meh), I'm just stoked there's gonna be more stuff!! And it helps I love both art styles (but I love everything Sims so I'm not surprised) and I'm just stoked your letting us help influence your designs! Keep up the good Sims work :)
    Come check out my selection! Finding her Prince Charming

Or my blog
  • NJSimmerNJSimmer Posts: 166 Member
    Ok, so Art was picked next for a SP. That's great! It's the one I was hoping for. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but can more be done with photography in this pack? One thing I've asked for a few times was to be able to sell photos at the flea market. You can sell paintings but not photos. Doesn't make any sense to me.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    I'm sure you're aware but you're having issues...with the survey. I get the first option choice and when I hit next, it says there's an error. FYI
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Simmer_RaySimmer_Ray Posts: 534 Member
    I was wondering if we do this again after this pack could we have some ground rules next time i feel like voted when from fair and people opinion and what they like or play style to unfair sway votes by blogs and popular people so i was wondering next time could there be a rule where nobody should speak on what they voted for till after that week voting is closed to make things more fair
    6d857729b5cf50b45c3a0cb8a112146f.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    NJSimmer wrote: »
    Ok, so Art was picked next for a SP. That's great! It's the one I was hoping for. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but can more be done with photography in this pack? One thing I've asked for a few times was to be able to sell photos at the flea market. You can sell paintings but not photos. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Art is not the theme of the SP. The theme chosen last week is Eco Living (though it could end up more like Clean Living depending on the features we choose in June). This week's vote is on the art *style*.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    Loved the items and clothing in design B! Would you be including some hair.. long braids, other styles, for those of us who don't use Mods or CC? Bicycles, recycling, etc.. would be great too!
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I can also see a reduced bills thing being useful with use of solar lighting and whatnot too.. This pack is a great idea! Maxi skirts and dresses, flower accessories for hair, wells for water usage, solar lighting, candles, walk in eco friendly showers, clothes lines for laundry, a coordinating bed to go with the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 style furniture from other packs, parasols, etc..
  • CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I love style B! That's where my vote went :) I feel like we have so many modern/simplistic items already, we need more detail! Show those items some love!
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Sims2ForeverSims2Forever Posts: 11 New Member
    Wait, where is a link to the art voting??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top