Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So what happens to those themes that didn't win... ?

Comments

• nightlightornightlightor Posts: 6 New Member
    @ThePoeticPreacher I like your quote.
  • Mowgli87Mowgli87 Posts: 4 New Member
    I think this is a really cool thing that the team has done. I have all the DLC and really like all of it, but I know that some players have felt like they've not been listened too. To involve players in something like this is a great move.

I'm really excited for an Eco pack - I like the idea of laundry (my current sims have a laundry room I made out of CC but looking forward to usable stuff!) and I hope it gets a kind 'hippie' vibe. How cool would it be build a commune with green energy and living off the land with the gardening skill! The veggie trait from CL would fit in nicely too!

I really liked the idea of wedding and danger packs...but maybe they would go well in a game pack focussed of 'life events' with weddings, funerals, baby showers, graduations, proms etc?
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    we planned ahead and started to work on preparing art style choices for multiple themes,

I am really going to have to understand what this means to get the best out of these discussions. Because I thought the art style was already set for the game like TS4 has got light-hearted bright colors and a slightly painted look (ie non-photographic). How can a stuff pack have its own art style without looking like it's come from a different game. Or do you mean like will it be art nouveau or victorian, as in architectural style?

johnjet wrote: »
    As someone who has done and been involved in focus groups & marketing, I can tell you, that these packs we are voting on are already in the planning stages and will at some time in the future see a release.

This "competition" of picking the pack, is just to see what is more popular and should be released first. I can guarantee one the "simgurus" will do the whole "due to overwhelming demand.."

So, people should start polls and add the names of everyone who wants it, like the laundry one? Maybe that one will be the 2nd one?

*confused as always* :D

I'd be inclined to let Graham set the polls, because that's what we'll be working from. A lot of the threads are just entertaining clutter, and won't really contribute to the eventual product.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    we planned ahead and started to work on preparing art style choices for multiple themes,

I am really going to have to understand what this means to get the best out of these discussions. Because I thought the art style was already set for the game like TS4 has got light-hearted bright colors and a slightly painted look (ie non-photographic). How can a stuff pack have its own art style without looking like it's come from a different game. Or do you mean like will it be art nouveau or victorian, as in architectural style?

Each pack goes for its own art style, for example...
    - Movie Hangout - Bohemian
    - Bowling - Mid-century
    - Vampires - Victorian Gothic
    - Backyard Stuff - Suburban Summer
    - Get Together - mix of dance party and old world charm
    Ok so it refers to in-world style (as in theme/architecture) rather than like graphical style?
  • KittyHaze88KittyHaze88 Posts: 54 Member
    cool i hope there is a eco friendly trait!
  • HorraceEyreHorraceEyre Posts: 3 New Member
    Bicycles!! I want to ride my bicycle! :D
    edited April 2017
    @SimGuruGraham is there a project management reason why art style is something set so early on in the design process? Is it because the art side is something that takes a longer time to complete, or is it more that the art department have their resources available at this time rather than later on? Or something I haven't thought of? I have a hobby of game development myself (nothing good enough to share lol) and my brain always wants to work on behaviour and features first and graphics is the last thing on my mind :D
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @SimGuruGraham is there a project management reason why art style is something set so early on in the design process? Is it because the art side is something that takes a longer time to complete, or is it more that the art department have their resources available at this time rather than later on? Or something I haven't thought of? I have a hobby of game development myself (nothing good enough to share lol) and my brain always wants to work on behaviour and features first and graphics is the last thing on my mind :D

My guess is that from the brainstorming point of view, common themes and pack direction can be inspired by developing a certain aesthetic and running with that. The artistic brainstorming process can lead to lots of inspiration about how to tie a pack together thematically.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Please, please, please make all the ideas happen at some point! You've got some very good feedback in these forums already as well as the regular Feedback section. Please pass on everyone's ideas to the Team. I think we have some very talented folks among the forums. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Marley V wrote: »
    we can make eco-goth happen!
    I am eco goth.

I recycle all the black things.
    When your clothes are all black, there's no need to sort, one load per week. It saves water, it saves power.
    Speaking of saving power, sitting in the dark helps.
    Solar panels are handy for providing shade to those who want to avoid the sun.
    Dead things can be recycled into cool accessories.
    I know a goth gal who owns a coffin, for storing stuff in, that can get repurposed when she shuffles off her mortal coil.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Bo_DummyBo_Dummy Posts: 2,243 Member
    Bicycles!! I want to ride my bicycle! :D

That's one of my favorite songs by Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_uvlq8xsy4
  • Bo_DummyBo_Dummy Posts: 2,243 Member
    Thanks to the Gurus for including the community in the creation of this and future packs!!!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

Just saw this!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15671449/#Comment_15671449
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Just saw this!

I see.. So the external studio is creating the clothing before the designers have really firmed up what activities will be in the pack? That still leaves my question intact, what is in the project lifecycle that says the external studio have be instructed on what to make before it's all finally been designed. In the example Graham gives, was it simply that the internal team found themselves with time to make the water slide and hadn't thought they would have time? Or is it simply written in stone at what point the partners are set to work - maybe because they have been booked some time in advance for that starting date?
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I am confused by this too. In the "Bee thread" SimguruGraham says the buy/CaS items are done first and he mentions Backyard stuff. Ok, in that particular pack I can see it being true, but what about the new bowlingpack? If the CAS was already made, how could it contain bowling shoes and team shirts if they didn't know bowling was going to be in it? Does not make sense to me...
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited April 2017
    mannanna wrote: »
    I am confused by this too. In the "Bee thread" SimguruGraham says the buy/CaS items are done first and he mentions Backyard stuff. Ok, in that particular pack I can see it being true, but what about the new bowlingpack? If the CAS was already made, how could it contain bowling shoes and team shirts if they didn't know bowling was going to be in it? Does not make sense to me...

For that pack, they probably already knew from the start that the theme was bowling (people had been saying "but where's the bowling alley?" since Get Together). For the Backyard one, they might have started with "fun family at-home outdoor activity for all ages" but not narrowed down the object(s) yet.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Well it would still be an interesting exercise if the dev team had to start the cas team on the clothes before the features were decided, because then our restraint would be to choose objects and features that fit the clothes that are being made. I wonder if that happens sometimes when they're making stuff packs?
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru

More like your second thought. Clearly the art direction for the overall look of the game is set. Each pack selects a style that they want to lean into though, and that's recreated to work within the game's overall style. I always think back to the variety of choices we had when considering what to make for Romantic Garden. We looked through various options for classical gardens, fantasy gardens, botanical gardens, contemporary gardens, suburban casual gardens, roaring 20s gardens, and rustic gardens. That's way more styles than we typically consider, but we gathered so much great reference material for that pack.

Just saw this!

I see.. So the external studio is creating the clothing before the designers have really firmed up what activities will be in the pack? That still leaves my question intact, what is in the project lifecycle that says the external studio have be instructed on what to make before it's all finally been designed. In the example Graham gives, was it simply that the internal team found themselves with time to make the water slide and hadn't thought they would have time? Or is it simply written in stone at what point the partners are set to work - maybe because they have been booked some time in advance for that starting date?

Bingo. I bolded the relevant part. Unfortunately I can't go into more detail as that's really delving into the business side of game development.
    Thanks Graham that's fine it gives me as much as I needed to understand the order of tasks.
    mannanna wrote: »

For that pack, they probably already knew from the start that the theme was bowling (people had been saying "but where's the bowling alley?" since Get Together). For the Backyard one, they might have started with "fun family at-home outdoor activity for all ages" but not narrowed down the object(s) yet.

Exactly. We knew from the beginning with Bowling Night that there would be bowling. You can't really select a bowling theme and then not provide bowling. There's no hard and fast rule about our approach... sometimes a pack takes shape around a standout feature, such as with Bowling Night. Other times there's a general theme we feel the game is lacking, and features can form around that theme.
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I see..... I must say you developers do an awesome job putting it all together. Understanding this will make this community project stuff pack even more exciting to follow. Thanks for explaining.
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    Really glad those ideas might be used later. Especially the starter home one as it was my favourite. I really really want to see more run down stuff in the game

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top