Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So what happens to those themes that didn't win... ?

SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Hey Simmers! After a flurry of voting, we now know that eco living won and will be the theme that this pack centers around. But what about the four other Stuff Pack themes you were presented with... what happens to them?

Well, when we started putting this plan together to create a stuff pack with the community, we knew we'd need ideas that fit some of your most popular requests, as well as themes that we could reasonably develop within a stuff pack. When we typically start work on a new stuff pack, we hold a theme brainstorm that includes members of various disciplines... usually it's a combination of design, production, art, and marketing. From that brainstorm we'll usually select two themes and develop those ideas further. That's what you saw in the theme vote. For this project we wanted to capture more of the ideas that you've requested, so we worked on extra themes so that you'd have a range of options to vote on.

I'll let you in on a little development quirk we've faced. While the voting periods on this stuff pack take a full business week, internally these would be decisions we'd make in a day. Because we're developing this pack with help from all of you, we have to account for the extra time it takes to allow people to vote and gather their feedback. That doesn't mean that our development milestones can be adjusted to add in that extra time though. With a studio this large, and with so many moving parts, it's important that we stick to our schedule so as to not cause ripple effects on other development efforts. Keeping that in mind, we planned ahead and started to work on preparing art style choices for multiple themes, as we didn't yet know which one would win. Normally we would not start this work until our theme selection was locked. This allowed us to get ahead of schedule, and will make it possible to start the vote on the pack's Art Style this coming Monday, April 10th.

All five options that you voted on were themes that the stuff pack team would be happy to create. Having some initial concept art in place for them has only inspired us further as to the possibilities they offer. With the result of the theme vote though, concept work on the four themes that didn't win has stopped. Thankfully none of the work that was already done will go to waste. We'll file these ideas and pieces of art away for the future. Some of them may get made into a Stuff Pack eventually, some could be incorporated into a Game or Expansion pack, and some may simply catch our eye as an object or piece of clothing we want to create someday. I can't specifically tell you what will become of them, because we ourselves don't know yet.

Maybe the themes that didn't win this time have inspired you as well. If you'd like to continue sharing the possibilities they could offer, I'd ask you to discuss them further on the Ideas Corner section of these forums. Even though this Stuff Pack we're building together is now locked into the eco living theme, we always value your feedback regarding the things that you want to see in The Sims!
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    To be honest, I'm more excited over this opportunity you've given us rather than what won or lost. It's really made me see the Sims in a new light to have access/input into the gaming process.

I feel the same. I mean I would love to see some of the ideas that were brought forth into future plans. I'll definitely take a look at the Ideas forum but also happy to focus a bit on this too.
  • NJSimmerNJSimmer Posts: 166 Member
    I'd like to see the Art centered theme get a 2nd chance. Art in the one thing I use most in TS4
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited April 2017
    B) While my ideas of more grim, goth, funeral planning, and a cemetery with the death flower didn't pan out, I'm glad you aren't scrapping the rest of the ideas. I didn't figure you would except maybe the starter home and arcade as they can be incorporated into many themes anyways. But, I figured that laundry and weddings would come eventually in some way. It was fun to vote and I can't wait to vote on content and hear ideas of what we could add to the game. Happy Simming team and fellow simmers.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited April 2017
    I honestly hope it does the ideas were very good ideas at least some of ideas of the packs will make it into the game in the future @SimGuruGraham
    Post edited by Briana2425 on
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I'm happy the other themes may have a chance of coming to the game. Thanks for the opportunity Graham and The Sims team!
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    @davina1221 we can make eco-goth happen!
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited April 2017
    Marley V wrote: »
    <3

I'm open to ideas. I just don't know what all eco entails since I haven't read any of the posts on it, but I can see promise there. Don't get me wrong by my post, I would like to have appliances, I just really liked the other gameplay. It will be fun and interesting to see what people come up with. If you see anything interesting and you have time don't hesitate to let me know. :)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Marley V wrote: »

Count me in for eco-goth!
    #Team Occult
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I did vote for Eco living to come first but after reading all the ideas later, I changed my mind too late for Dangerous! Never mind, I think I'll wait a few days before voting for the Art style etc.
  • KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Glad to know that these ideas could be used later in other packs! I'm so ready for Monday to roll around for another vote. =)
  • MissMahooMissMahoo Posts: 208 Member
    Glad to hear that the other concepts aren't completely off the table for the future. I found it quite tricky to choose between 3 of the initial ideas. Thank you for letting the Sims community have this opportunity to get more involved.
  • dogboy678dogboy678 Posts: 200 Member
    beville wrote: »
    I really hope we get the eco trash compactor and eco friendly juice machine in this pack. So that all the harvest we get from garden , we can make all kinds of healthy drinks for our sims. ;)

I agree! That would be amazing and would make gardening a bit more useful!
  • ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    I voted echo at number because i knew that's what the other sim players wanted....teamwork baby...
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • IndustrialxGothIndustrialxGoth Posts: 84 Member
    I also would have preferred either the "Dangerous" concept or the "Arcade" concept, only because they would seem more entertaining to play around with, + I'll be honest, the "Eco" concept was about 2nd to last (ranked 4th) in my vote, but it does not discourage me from looking forward to voting for the other portions of this pack's development, as I'd still enjoy the process + seeing how creating a pack in general will turn out~
    Thanks for including the community for this unusual chance to vote upon creating a pack!
  • SimmingInParadiseSimmingInParadise Posts: 2 New Member
    I think just the fact that you guys care about what we want is amazing. I'm so excited to see what happens next!!
  • shedeviledeggshedeviledegg Posts: 39 Member
    This was a really cool choice by the EA team, thanks for the opportunity!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Now that we're getting laundry please include a laundromat venue.
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    To be honest, I'm more excited over this opportunity you've given us rather than what won or lost. It's really made me see the Sims in a new light to have access/input into the gaming process.

for once this is kind of how i feel i feel like yeah it does not mater what won or not it just feels awesome for a chance to have input to what is created which i think hypes up the game even more for me and makes me excited to know i was a small part of this.
  • mhahse57mhahse57 Posts: 12 New Member
    They were all great concepts, but I do think that some like Dangerous or Weddings are bigger in scope than we would get in a stuff pack. I think the Eco-Living decision is a good one and I am looking forward to getting the pack when it is released. Thanks Maxis for your continuing work on the best PC game ever.
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member

Yeah this is how I feel too. I am really excited to be able to give input. So cool. I don't think this has ever been done before. It makes me feel like the team really does care. I knew they did before but this drives it home more. Makes it more personal. Also, it has made me think more about what goes into making these packs. I am glad to be a part of this process.
  • TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    I am very appreciative of you allowing the members of the community to have a choice! I love it
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    As someone who has done and been involved in focus groups & marketing, I can tell you, that these packs we are voting on are already in the planning stages and will at some time in the future see a release.

This "competition" of picking the pack, is just to see what is more popular and should be released first. I can guarantee one the "simgurus" will do the whole "due to overwhelming demand.."

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    johnjet wrote: »
    As someone who has done and been involved in focus groups & marketing, I can tell you, that these packs we are voting on are already in the planning stages and will at some time in the future see a release.

This "competition" of picking the pack, is just to see what is more popular and should be released first. I can guarantee one the "simgurus" will do the whole "due to overwhelming demand.."

So, people should start polls and add the names of everyone who wants it, like the laundry one? Maybe that one will be the 2nd one?

*confused as always* :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top