Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited April 2017
    Thymeless wrote: »
    So... it's Q&A Monday, and I'm interested - how long have you guys been writing simlit? I've been going nearly a year now :)
    I think I published my first bit of SimLit in 2007 or 2008. It was back when TS2 was a thing. But I had a long break after the old Sims site went down (I think it was back in 2009), and I started writing again in 2015.

And no, I'm not about to show my old writing. I do have one story saved up in my hard drive, and I sometimes read it and cringe.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I'm not saying that I want Clara from Ashes to Ashes as she is right now (middle-aged and toned-down and fatter) to treat me like the petulant woman-child I am and then bang me, but please? :p

Bre from @ra3rei 's Ghost of a Chance is my close, close runner-up. I love her big nose and full figure and the shots of her in lingerie in the wedding chapter. Julia is so lucky!

Both of them have very attractive personalities too. It's hard to pick a favorite between Clara's brash and emotional reactions, and Bre's...daringness? She always feels like the stronger counterpart to Julia (who I guess is a little too close to reality for me :tongue:).

Lol - Bre is a bit more edgy that the much more prosaic Julia. She is so much fun to dress! She and Julia do match well, I think. And kind of funny that you crush her and Clara. Both are descendants of Jade! I wonder how much Clara still has in common with Jade that far down the line.

I was keenly aware of Jade when typing this up...if I have a pre-made crush, it's Jade! She's always so fun and sweet to my sims and looks great doing it.

I don't think she contributed much to Clara beyond her big melons, but that's very important. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    For Q&A Monday here is my question:

How do you guys develop character ideas? Do they stem from random ideas or all your characters planned out in advance?
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    OJenn wrote: »

How do you guys develop character ideas? Do they stem from random ideas or all your characters planned out in advance?

For me it's a mixture, but a big inspiration always comes from the traits I roll for my sims! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    So... it's Q&A Monday, and I'm interested - how long have you guys been writing simlit? I've been going nearly a year now :)

Ooh - writing? I think somewhere on the Carl Forums there is a half-started TS3 vampire dynasty which would have been my first "published" simlit. That's from 2013. I never published anything from TS2 so we're all save the embarrassment of that.

My blog started in earnest in June of 2014. Just in time for Sims 4 to come out. I started writing sims in October with the Pigglewiggles. I guess that means 2 1/2 years? Wow. Huh.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member

It's a mixture but mostly, I base my Sims' personalities on the traits they have.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member

Both. I have an idea of what I would like the characters to be, but then over the course of writing, they could become completely different than my original plan based on gameplay whims or autonomy. Or sometimes I get inspired by reader comments.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member

Wow! Great question! For me, it's been 3 years and a month. It's crazy! I wanted to share with everyone the crazy life of my sim in this type of story called a Wishacy. I was too scared to come up with my own stories because I knew I'd stink. Now, a few years later, I'm somewhat brave enough to write. I still have a LOT of learning to do, though. Of course, I've not really written much in the last year and a half. Just off and on. But I'm going to start concentrating on it again. I keep saying that. :|

Anyway, it's awesome to see when others have started too! :D
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member

Thought I'd post my answer here too so everyone can see.

Sometimes I have random ideas, and other times the characters are planned out in advanced. But a lot of times I get ideas just by looking at them. That's how I get into trouble when I go into CAS lol. For example, when I made Juliana, she looked so interesting to me! It was her eyes. They just looked so sad and I wanted to know why lol. The entire story came from me just wanting to know why this girl looked so sad. The other characters were planned according to the goals I had for the story.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    piQD30K.jpg

Breaking News!! Interrupting the regular schedule news Q&As Monday with fellow WL's simmers to update them on something important

Breaking News Maxis wants the Simmers' input into the a future stuff pack here's the blog about it
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/sims-4-community-stuff-pack-kickoff and its starts today!!

@CathyTea I was doing it in a kind of bandgeek8408 way
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    Hi @Everyone,

Hope you're all having a wonderful day.

Apart from battling another cold, I'm doing alright. Am wondering if any of you 'creative writers' could send me links to practice writing sites. @KitDragonFlight: I think you gave me a link to the one you use awhile ago but I no longer have it, can you send it to me again, please?

Somehow writing came to me a lot easier under my 'Silver' persona but not so much from my 'real' side. (if that makes sense) I don't want to go back to playing games to get my creative juices going again but maybe if there was a place where I could practice writing short stories or something it might help.

If @anyone has any tips or suggestions on awakening the creative side of my real self, please let me know. I don't visit that often but you can let me know here or email me at jangraceted@gmail.com.

Happy Spring!

Silver
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited April 2017

I'm trying to plan characters in advance, because I need time for them to develop in my head. However, sometimes the unexpected happens and a character I didn't plan to have in my story longer than one or two chapters becomes a regular, because they intrigue me too much.
    What I mostly do when developing a character and the plot is that I ask two questions, What if? and What then? I look for the answers and ask them over and over until the idea is complete. What if this character falls in love with a wife of someone who can destroy them? What then? How will their personality respond to such situation? Are they hot headed and will act first and think about consequeces later? Are they a genius and come up with a brilliant plan? Are they good and will do everything right and deny themselves the affair?
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    anyone saw my breaking news annoucment??
    6adMCGP.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

i let the charcters lead me that might be a mistake though Adriens wife has a healthy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,um Appetite,
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member

I'm still learning this. I really don't "develop" anything currently. The one I did develop took months to figure out. I'm terrible at deciding what I want. So, I stumble along with half ideas until either it sounds plum and I ditch it or I think of another way. Mostly because I still have no idea what I'm doing. It doesn't connect with my brain. I have this funny idea that I can't just create people in my brain (at least not without TONS of practice where I have tons of feedback). It's like I need a visual picture to help.

If anyone used to struggle with this but has it figured out now (because I really think I'd love character development if I can figure out what I'm missing), please PM me. I'd love to know what you did (and if you exchanged your brain, where?).
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    @OJenn is this SimLit characters or non-SimLit stories once tries to write?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member

i let the charcters lead me that might be a mistake though Adriens wife has a healthy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,um Appetite,

LOL healthy what?? just kidding :p
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    Jes2G wrote: »

LOL healthy what?? just kidding :p

knowing you you figured it out already. lol.
  • ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member

For me it's different for both of my stories. With my legacy, they kind of develop as I play them - seeing them all interact and their whims give me an idea of the type of person they are.
    In my ambrosia, however, I start with a decent idea before I start writing. The little details fill themselves out (As do some of the less predictable plot points *coughcough* VLAD *coughcough*) but a lot of the characters, plot and world lore are planned ahead of time :)
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
  • ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member
    New Ambrosia chapter! :D Honestly, this took days to write, so I'm a bit shattered now.
    Chapter 25 - Look With Your Eyes
    chapter-cover.jpg
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
  • sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    For Q&A Monday here is my question: How do you guys develop character ideas? Do they stem from random ideas or all your characters planned out in advance?

As far as sims are concerned, it's starts by creating them first. And if I like them enough, I'll create a story for them. I don't plot out anything in advance, everything is based on their traits and occurrences that happen via game play. I use the traits to fill in blanks and add little nuances based on the traits.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @OJenn is this SimLit characters or non-SimLit stories once tries to write?

Simlit
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    For Q&A Monday here is my question: How do you guys develop character ideas? Do they stem from random ideas or all your characters planned out in advance?

You don't want to know how many times I wrote the answer to this. It was practically a novel. *It's still I novel, I know.

My characters usually stem from random ideas and then I go and plan them out. Not to their full complete self - but enough to take them into the next arc. This is true of sims and non-sim stories.

I really have no idea what to do with a CAS sim. The story, envrionment, (challenge), and characters have to come first. Very very rarely does the look of the sim inspire the character. Although sometimes the reverse is true and I try to make a sim match the personality (which is really really hard). For simlit - I usually have to have a challenge first and then find a sim I'm interested in to play the role. I use a LOT of townies for minor characters.

Planning though, does occur. I have several pages in a notebook with the life plans for all of Max's High School friends and their significant others. I knew a bit about them from when I first introducted them - but then randomlly rolled their traits. When I do this, I usually pick one trait as primary, and the others as supporting. I also try to make "negative" traits positive. Creative - Jealous - Loves Outdoors? How about a nature photographer who is very jealous of the new up-and-coming photographer the magazine just hired. (I don't want all my Jealous sims to be romatically jealous).

My characters usually evolve as I write them. Either to a pre-imagined future (Max) or just willy-nilly (James). I read a lot of psychology and often give my characters myers-briggs tests to see what more I can learn about them. When a huge event happens, I research others that had similar events to see how that changed them. I try not to spend too much time on planning. Just enough to get through the next part of my story or if I'm stuck.

Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    edited April 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top