Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Welcome! Project info, survey winners, & helpful links.

SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Hey everyone, and welcome to our corner of the forums. This is something we've never tried before - a collaborative project between Maxis and Sims players where we can be completely transparent about our development process, and ultimately build a new Stuff Pack for The Sims 4 together! If you're just now discovering this project, I'd encourage you to read the blog where we unveiled this project and discussed how you'll be able to influence its development. While this project is well under way, there are still many ways for you to contribute...

First, you'll see a number of helpful links to blogs and discussions that have helped shape this pack's development to reach where we are now. Following the links, you'll find the dates that each survey will be conducted on, where you can come back and directly vote on how development should proceed. Finally, you'll find a welcome message that outlines what we're doing here on the forums and how you can participate.

Thanks for being here - this project couldn't happen without your support and input! :)

Official Blogs
Your vote counts! Help us create a new Stuff Pack for The Sims 4
• An introductory blog where we discussed the vision for this project and how it will work, and commenced voting to select the Stuff Pack's overall theme.

You Chose the Eco Living Theme! Now Pick an Art Style
• In this blog, we presented two distinct art styles that could fit within an eco living theme, and discussed how our art director typically helps in making this choice.

Help Us Pick Objects and Clothing For a New Stuff Pack
• This blog helped kick off the most in-depth survey yet, where players helped select 28 objects and 14 pieces of clothing. It discusses the thought process that those of us at Maxis follow to narrow down choices when we're planning a new Sims pack.

Help Us Pick Gameplay Features For A New Stuff Pack!
• This blog introduced a very important vote, giving players the opportunity to read through proposed design blurbs, and vote for their favorite group of features. Options included Laundry, Off the Grid, Food Preserves, and Carbon Conscious. It also showed off our initial design brainstorm for this pack, and discussed the process of how we select features to include in Stuff Packs.

Help Us Choose A Title For Our Community Stuff Pack!
• This blog discusses the process we go through when selecting the name for a pack, as well as sharing an important development update as the pack moves from pre-production into full production.

Your Vote Counts! The Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack Icon
• This blog discusses how we develop the official icons for Sims packs, and reveals some of the concept icons for packs that didn't make it to the final product. There's also a first look at a prototype of laundry gameplay running in-game for the first time!

Survey Results
Eco living is the winning theme!
• Results from the first survey, where players selected the overall theme of this Stuff Pack.

"Style B" has won the art style vote!
• Results from the second survey, revealing the winning art style which we'll use to inform the look of all the objects and clothing in this Stuff Pack.

Stuff Pack object vote results!
• Results from the third survey, revealing the 29 objects which will be included in this Stuff Pack.

Stuff Pack clothing vote results!
• Results from the third survey, revealing the 17 pieces of clothing which will be included in this Stuff Pack.

Stuff Pack gameplay feature vote results!
• Results from the fourth survey, where players selected the interactive gameplay features that will be included in this Stuff Pack.

Stuff Pack name & icon vote results!
• Results from the fifth and sixth surveys, where the community helped select the official pack name and icon.

Development Updates
June 4th dev update - learn about object creation
• Learn all about the development process objects go through to get from concept art drawings, to the final in-game object.

SimGuru Forum Posts
So what happens to those themes that didn't win... ?
• A candid discussion about the themes from the first vote that didn't win, and what their future is in The Sims.

References for Concept Artists
• A concept artist from The Sims 4 asks the community for reference images that help express their vision for what an eco living theme should look like.

Voting Dates
Theme Vote (April 3rd - April 6th): Select the overall theme for the pack. Every part of the pack will be influenced by this key decision.
Art Style Vote (April 10th – April 12th): Select between proposed art styles for the pack, which will guide our concept artists in the objects and clothing they create.
Objects & Clothing Vote (May 18th – May 21st): Browse through the concept art we’ve drawn for the pack, and select your top choices to help us determine which objects and pieces of clothing are included.
Feature Vote (June 23rd – June 26th): Select the top gameplay feature(s) you want to have included in the pack.
Pack Title Vote (September 6th – September 8th): Select a title that best summarizes the pack's atmosphere and content.
Pack Icon Vote (September 13th– September 15th): Peruse different icons and select the one that will appear in the pack's box art and within the in-game catalog.

You made it through the links! Thanks for sticking with me through this introduction that sets the tone for what purpose this forum will serve.

Most importantly, I'll set some base guidelines for what myself and other developers can't share while we work on this pack. There are really only two things we can't discuss... First, we can't talk about anything regarding the pack's budget. As a publicly traded company, this isn't the right venue to share financial information. Second, we can't share a release date. You're going to be with us every step of the way throughout the development of this pack, but it is still a real stuff pack that we're selling, and as such it will have a normal announcement and marketing campaign - the same as any other stuff pack.

As development progresses, I'm very much looking forward to sharing in-depth information. It's really up to you though how much you want to be involved, or how much you're interested in learning about how we work. If you're just looking for general information on the big development milestones, be sure to read our blog posts on the main site. If you want to check in from time to time to see how things are progressing, we'll have regular updates that are stickied in this forum where you can get caught up. And, if you really want to delve into the nitty-gritty, you'll find me here on a regular basis starting threads about our accomplishments, challenges we face, and the small decisions that are made in day to day development that influence the game that you'll ultimately play.

So, outside of voting - how can you contribute to this pack? As we share regular information about the pack's development, it will naturally spur further discussion here in these forums. In game development, many of our decisions are group discussions where well reasoned arguments can convince the majority and help us proceed. In the same way, you're all welcome to post threads and participate in reasoned debates here that are prompted by recent development updates that we've shared. Certainly your contributions here will be read, discussed, and considered as we work on the pack, and your ideas can influence the final game.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here in the forums, or to contact me directly on Twitter @SimGuruGraham . I hope you're as excited as I am to discover where this pack takes us :)

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited April 2017
    Great idea! Couple of questions:

1. Is this stuffpack idea going to be the only stuffpack we have untill its complete?

2. Will the stuff pack come with 2 new gameplay objects?
  • TurloughdudeTurloughdude Posts: 662 Member
    edited April 2017
    I got a great idea for a stuff pack that i been waiting a long time to send to someone: A entrepreneur stuff pack. This entrepreneur pack will have all the crafting benches, work stations and factories we need in this pack, like my soda bottler and candy factory and the vintage soda machine that goes with the soda bottler.

http://the-1-great-fan.deviantart.com/art/Dr-Freeman-Soda-Bottler-By-Freeman-Enterprises-655194812

http://the-1-great-fan.deviantart.com/art/Mr-Freeman-s-Candy-Factory-By-Freeman-Enterprises-655185577

http://the-1-great-fan.deviantart.com/art/Vintage-Dr-Freeman-Soda-Machine-655191343
  • sethyviasethyvia Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, I'm very sorry if this is not the right place to post, I'm a bit lost on the forums.
    First thank you so much for giving us the possibility to follow the creation of a stuff pack ♪

However I seem to have a trouble to submit my vote on the website, everytime I click on the "next" it brings me to the same survey but in another language...
    Oh and when rating is '1' the one we want most or the one we're least interested in ?
    Thank you, and sorry if I made a mistake.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Will this delay the quarterly teaser?

Also hoping for the wedding and arcade pack.
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    edited April 2017
    sethyvia wrote: »
    Hi, I'm very sorry if this is not the right place to post, I'm a bit lost on the forums.
    First thank you so much for giving us the possibility to follow the creation of a stuff pack ♪

However I seem to have a trouble to submit my vote on the website, everytime I click on the "next" it brings me to the same survey but in another language...
    Oh and when rating is '1' the one we want most or the one we're least interested in ?
    Thank you, and sorry if I made a mistake.

Hi @sethyvia - if you scroll down to the bottom of the blog page, you'll see a country's flag with an arrow next to it. Click on that and select the country that you're from to get the survey in your desired language. Edit: Turns out something unintentional is going on with the survey when it reloads in a different language like you mentioned. We're working on adjusting it to not switch languages on you afterwards.

And yes, #1 is the pack you want the most. Rank them in order of most to least wanted :)
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    @IngeJones Graham Prime is always cheerful. How can you not be cheerful when you're a floating omnipotent head in space?
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    edited April 2017

And yes, #1 is the pack you want the most. Rank them in order of most to least wanted :)

Doh! I did mine backwards, lol! In any case, I wanted the laundry and arcades. I hope everybody else votes for those to make up for my oops.
  • sethyviasethyvia Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi @sethyvia - if you scroll down to the bottom of the blog page, you'll see a country's flag with an arrow next to it. Click on that and select the country that you're from to get the survey in your desired language. Edit: Turns out something unintentional is going on with the survey when it reloads in a different language like you mentioned. We're working on adjusting it to not switch languages on you afterwards.

Oh okay, I'll try a bit later when it's fixed :D
    Thank you !
    (I did mine backward too haha)

• ALD2.0ALD2.0 Posts: 9 New Member
    I VOTED FOR ARCADE STUFF! Bring back classic like the pinball, more classic arcades w/ recolor options and new ones like a racing simulator, a keytar defender (guitar hero), and DDR ( like the one from the urbz)! MORE GEEK ATTIRE AND ITEMS, tacky carpets & wallpapers, and MORE NEON SIGNS AND LIGHTS!!
  • lsarm55lsarm55 Posts: 103 Member
    Hey! I have a suggestion: after you release the marketing material, it would be pretty cool to see how the team makes them, what goes into deciding what to feature in the trailer, box art, how do you guys plan the venues, and even how you name the packs.
  • SalemHellKatSalemHellKat Posts: 13 New Member
    Eh. It would have probably been a good idea to let us know that 1 was for most desired and 5 for least. Now, my vote won't mean what I intended it to mean.
  • SlimeballSlimeball Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a suggestion: I think that teens and children should have after school activities like in the Sims 3: Generations. Then I think I will enjoy more to play with children and teens. :D
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited April 2017
    Laundry and teen stuff are a huge want of mine, also mansion type stuff too. More architectural styles tho im sure thats not going to happen due to the comment made about build mode stuff (sectional sofas) in the live stream of the bowling stuff pack.
  • zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    I think this is a fantastic idea that should have, ideally, been implemented from the jump off. I think this goes a long way in simmer/dev relations and I applaud it. Good job, all. :)
  • adele_katadele_kat Posts: 130 Member
    Hello!
    I do not understand how to vote and voted wrong!
    The poll is broken!
    I will say here, I put 5 points for "Dangerous Stuff".
    I vote for "Dangerous Stuff"!
    giphy.gif
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I voted for Eco Living, since I really want laundry back. :)
  • GuiFreitasGGuiFreitasG Posts: 18 New Member
    I loved the idea of a dangerous stuff! Been waiting for this for so long! And i love how you guys are involved with your work and giving the simmers what they want! Anyway,is that the next pack to be released? Because if it is,it means we have to wait a lot longer than usual. It's not that much of a deal for me,since that gives me time to get money to buy,but i stay so excited for the packs that i almost have heart attacks of waiting...I'm looking at you,Vampires. And will the quarterly teaser come until the end of this month?
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Anyone who is on twitter, quickly spread the word that 1 is for the pack you most want. Before anyone else gets mixed up.
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    I like this interaction, personally it makes me feel like I can help what type of stuff packs comes up that either enhance my gameplay or especially for my building. Which is why I voted for eco stuff pack, sounds amazing but every pack sounded good so I hope you at least make the top 3 voted from us or even better, make all of them =P
  • karineb.21karineb.21 Posts: 14 New Member
    @lexus20 Same here ! It looks so nice, I used to love making laundry ! :smiley:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    LOVE this idea.

Hey Graham that happy face you made when you were bowling in real life and got that strike - rolled on the ground - we need that for your avatar! LOL.

To other posters:

I take a lot of surveys seeing I used to be on Consumer Panel and tested things people use every day - 1 has always been the thing you liked best - so this survey is pretty common design actually and easy to use.

The very first question it asks your language in a drop down. Just click your country and the rest of the survey will be in your langue.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    This is such an awesome idea! Already voted :D I'll keep an eye on this section. Thanks for finally letting all of us vote on something :D
  • suepixelssuepixels Posts: 161 Member
    edited April 2017
    I went for 1. Wedding :) 2. Danger :) . 3. Starter :) 4. Eco :) 5. Arcade :# (Don't need more gaming stuff meh, it's enough). Curious which stuff pack will make the run. Even though I think beside the Arcade am for all but we'll need to focus on one.

Wedding is weak needs for sure improvement (Pillow Talk after Wohoo, Shower Wohoo, more romantic interactions, new fancy Wedding dresses/heels, suits, Wedding Veil, Wedding Location, Wedding accessories etc.) but I also love pretty much the idea to expand different sorts of death, living on the edge, especially for storyteller but mostly for fun of new ways of killing & murning on a funeral. We need more DRAMA added, lol. Starter would be an awesome add on. Eco is nice to have yet I think it's not thrilling enough as my first two picks. Actually Starter & Eco could be put together as a game pack. Arcade well for me this can be skipped we have plenty nerdy stuff now but I don't mind if somewere a pool billiard will be added. So excited which one will win and sure am going to add my thoughts on how we might could improve the chosen one, so excited and curious. B):D

Simmers I'm quite sure we will only discuss here the packs which are given within the vote. Everything else can be discussed in other matching areas within this forum. I guess suggesting things which do not relate to the given topic is simply leading nowhere here.
    Post edited by suepixels on
    Passionate Sim-Architect & Storyteller on Tumblr. If u can imagine u can make it happen B)
    Industrial, Steampunk & Modern Architecture. Yup Simmies, too!

EA ID suepixels | Tags #suepixels
    Sue's Architecture | Sue's Stories | Wedding Stuff Pack Ideas
    Tumblr: suepixels | Twitter suepixels
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I hope there are daily updates where the votes are until it's over. I didn't get the impression that we could see the poll results from that thing you used in the blog. Or can we?
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top