Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Started making my first World this week...

Comments

• Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Looks good!

Thanks! What do you think of the DT blending? Better than before?
    To be honest I'm not sure if the jagged mountains look really natural in the landscape, but I think it's hard to tell with a bird’s-eye view like here. When you weren't satisfied it was also only noticeable looking down. Like @Rflong7 showed, it looks different/better from a ground view:

Screenshot-26_zpsqoqf6gqd.jpg

Screenshot-29_zps5rkkys5s.jpg

I love jagged mountains though, curious what that looks like from the ground. And I also like that wall.

Yeah ... it's almost like they didn't use the same types of terrain paint available. I didn't like the seams so I tried to disguise it with the mountains. And yes I agree they look weird from above. Here's some shots of it from the ground (I'm assuming this is the mountain you're referring to)... I don't know that I really like it a whole lot, but wasn't sure what else to do with it. The DT is pretty high in the background.

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Here's another "corner" mountain

screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I especially like the mountains on your last picture. They blend in perfectly in the landscape.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I've been working on this still, I just don't have any new pictures to post, really ... I've added a lot of empty lots, but there's not really a good way to show a screen shot of empty lots! Especially since you can't take a screenshot from Edit Town mode.

I have many ideas for some more multi-family type housing I want to build, but I know it'll take a long time and it seems like a daunting task whenever I think about it! I think I will place some of the ready made homes in some of the residential lots that I don't want to be twins or row homes (also have an idea for an apartment complex. I laid out the lots, built parking lots, and set a lot for a community yard/room kinda thing).
    I stay tuned for when you have more to show (got your topic bookmarked) :smile:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Awesome! I've only ever made one world - I think it took me about 6 months to complete, I was so enthusiastic at the beginning but it became a chore by the end of it (I am a person with very little patience).

I remember not being able to make a good job of the DT so I just made an island. It also ended up being quite sparse with lots of plain grass cos I'd had enough of it by then :D

Chimaeraoverhead.jpg

You seem to be progressing well with yours, you must be putting a lot of time into it already!
    Awesome! I've only ever made one world - I think it took me about 6 months to complete, I was so enthusiastic at the beginning but it became a chore by the end of it (I am a person with very little patience).

I remember not being able to make a good job of the DT so I just made an island. It also ended up being quite sparse with lots of plain grass cos I'd had enough of it by then :D

Chimaeraoverhead.jpg

You seem to be progressing well with yours, you must be putting a lot of time into it already!

Hey, that looks pretty nice! All the trees get annoying to place!

I'm quickly realizing that unless I use a lot of pre made houses, it'll become a huge chore to finish all of them!

One problem I'm having is not knowing which rabbit holes I need to include ... I guess if I forget something, they just won't be able to do that particular job.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Information on lots types per expansion...
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Lot_assignment
  • Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    Well that did it, you've inspired me to give CAW a try! First I read through that marvelous waterfall tutorial and now I see your interesting results as you work on it all. I love your concept of mixed urban/rural -ish residential areas and I adore your wilderness area. As another poster said its very dense, which makes it deliciously mysterious. I see that the terrain view seams can be troubling to blend in. Your retaining wall was clever! Oh what am I getting myself in to? Some fun, I hope ;) Keep going, it looks great to me!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member

I'm quickly realizing that unless I use a lot of pre made houses, it'll become a huge chore to finish all of them!

One problem I'm having is not knowing which rabbit holes I need to include ... I guess if I forget something, they just won't be able to do that particular job.
    Thank you :)

Are you making your world to share or just for yourself? If you are sharing, have you thought about whether to make it base-game only or with just some eps or all eps? If it was base game only then you would need less rabbitholes and you could leave some empty Lots for people who have the eps to fill up.

Are you making your world to share or just for yourself? If you are sharing, have you thought about whether to make it base-game only or with just some eps or all eps? If it was base game only then you would need less rabbitholes and you could leave some empty Lots for people who have the eps to fill up.

I did want to share it, yes ... It's probably already too late to just be base-game only. Won't it just replace stuff that's not there?
    Well that did it, you've inspired me to give CAW a try! First I read through that marvelous waterfall tutorial and now I see your interesting results as you work on it all. I love your concept of mixed urban/rural -ish residential areas and I adore your wilderness area. As another poster said its very dense, which makes it deliciously mysterious. I see that the terrain view seams can be troubling to blend in. Your retaining wall was clever! Oh what am I getting myself in to? Some fun, I hope ;) Keep going, it looks great to me!

I should read the waterfall tutorial, mine is kind of weird when you are close up!

Thanks, I like the urban-ish areas too. I feel that there aren't enough worlds like that. It all started when I made my apartments & roommates mod and started having Sims rent houses - and I wanted them to be close together, and all the lots in every world I had played were so far apart. The areas I want to look like that, I made them as close together as possible with just a sidewalk width in between, and then I will build to the edges. I like the look.

Nice word choice "deliciously mysterious!" That one just sort of happened by accident ... random placement of trees, clicking repeatedly! There's all kind of spawners over there, too :-)
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Info about water- Water on the world map is Salt Water and water in a pond made on lots will be Fresh Water.
    If you want the water to be fresh in a small river area; use the Fresh Water indicators on the water then wherever in the circle it will be fresh fish (if they don't go right on a certain fish spawner). :)
    If you want a water are on a lot to have low level Salt Water fish them use the Salt Water indicator in the lot.

I figured that out :-)

The weird thing that I wasn't expecting about the water is that I had a sim down at the "shore line" (just to see if they could route there) and then I told him to go somewhere farther away ... a boat spawned and he went boating down the river! So random and cool at the same time!
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Oh, okay. I'll stay quiet. :)

No, I like your suggestions / tips!
  • FancyKitty795FancyKitty795 Posts: 64 Member
    I can not wait to try out the world once it is done!
    Part of the 82nd Sim-borne Division!
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited April 2017

I did want to share it, yes ... It's probably already too late to just be base-game only. Won't it just replace stuff that's not there?

I'm keeping my eye on this world, too - and smart guy for listening to Rflong's tips - she has been world-building since CAW first came out, and has built many, many wonderful worlds! :)

My main thing to add here is that it doesn't matter if you forget some rabbit holes as long as you leave empty lots (or flat spaces next to roads where we can add lots). Once the world is "done", we can then add in any missing rabbit holes. Even if worse comes to worse and there aren't lots big enough for some rabbit holes, many of us have Lunar Lakes - a world that came with little (and I mean little) rabbit holes for Sims to step into a subterranean (presumably) workplace. Those particular rabbit holes only take up a 2 x 2 space, if I recall correctly.
    Jaline33 wrote: »

I'm keeping my eye on this world, too - and smart guy for listening to Rflong's tips - she has been world-building since CAW first came out, and has built many, many wonderful worlds! :)

My main thing to add here is that it doesn't matter if you forget some rabbit holes as long as you leave empty lots (or flat spaces next to roads where we can add lots). Once the world is "done", we can then add in any missing rabbit holes. Even if worse comes to worse and there aren't lots big enough for some rabbit holes, many of us have Lunar Lakes - a world that came with little (and I mean little) rabbit holes for Sims to step into a subterranean (presumably) workplace. Those particular rabbit holes only take up a 2 x 2 space, if I recall correctly.

Hey, that's a good idea! I don't have Lunar Lakes and never realized the RH's were that small ... are they like the RH rugs?
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member

Hey, that's a good idea! I don't have Lunar Lakes and never realized the RH's were that small ... are they like the RH rugs?

They probably work along that same principle. They look sort of like mini-futuristic-towers - lol - my description probably doesn't help much. :)
    This is a Lunar Lakes Rabbithole:

Eacuteowyn_360_zps29c5473d.jpg

They do look very futuristic but maybe there's a possibility to hide them?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    Well now you can find out & I hope its useful to you in your world-building journey! B)
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    This is a Lunar Lakes Rabbithole:

Eacuteowyn_360_zps29c5473d.jpg

They do look very futuristic but maybe there's a possibility to hide them?

I know other world builders have put Rabbitholes in basements before.
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
    edited April 2017
    It may be too high for that though... Maybe it's wiser to check out the CC rabbithole rugs.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Sometimes the problems I have with rabbit holes is not knowing what they're going to be in game! The descriptions aren't clear sometimes. Some of mine don't eve have a description - not sure why!