Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No other bowlers?

Comments

• rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    The only npc that bowled at my diner/bowling alley was a waitress:(

And I made it a teen hang out and like 3 teens showed up.

Bowling attracts NPCs specifically to bowl if the venue is a Bar, Nightclub, or Lounge. Other venues it won't attract them away from the main venue functions any more than any other item will. (https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/sims-4-bowling-night-stuff-announce)

Teen hangout attracts teen walkbys going past the lot. (@SimGuruGraham said they'd look at renaming the lot trait, as it's really not clear from the name alone. The description is much more clear than the name.)

Oh boy. This game loves to dictate how I play.

I've had a diner/alley combo in every iteration.

This is soooooo disheartening.

Well in past sims games the bowling was not in it's own pack but part of an ep and it was connected to a world and the content of that ep. It is not Maxis dictating how you play the game - but how you received the content and what it was programmed to actually work with.

It was basically programmed to work in a bar so naturally that is what it will work with the best. Also sims were not programmed to eat and bowl so expecting it to happen because it did in past games is sort of out there. At least you can build a bowling alley and dining place together with out a conflict but the fact the two were not meant to be done together is the issue. Dining had it's own pack also and was not an ep so you have that issue as well. If one or the other was part of an ep it would have probably been easier to do. Programming is specific more often than not.

But that is the issue lol.
    You explained how it's being dictated how onr plays lol.
    There is no "you rule."
    There should be absolutely no reason packs do not intertwine.

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I sent my sims bowling at the Oasis Springs Dust Bowl. there was plenty of bowlers there.. my sims did change into bowling shoes but they kept on the same clothes they were wearing.. the mother was in her bathing suit lol

They will only put on bowling shoes, and if they're maxed level with the skill, they'll wear a bowling glove. You can either change their outfit manually (by making one of the outfit categories in CAS a bowling league one, I'd suggest the sports one), or if you have GT and a family of Sims, put them in a club and set their outfits there and when you start a gathering, they'll put them on automatically for you. Clubs are handy in that you can also set the hangout location, and get there faster by starting the gathering. :) And bowling is a club activity so you can get the whole group to bowl together a bit easier too.

Good oldgamer - actually putting their out fit in everyday is better as bowling does not use the sporty outfit automation on its own - I had the best luck adding it to everyday. Of course if you use clubs then I am sure that is best - but I never use clubs so I can't test that. Well I could, but don't want to. They annoy me enough as it is not activating that system. LOL.

Oh? That's good to know then. I figured if you're gonna have to change into the outfit manually anyway, it'd make more sense to put the bowling outfit in the sports category just to make it easier for the player to find. I thought the bowling shoes and glove would be put on automatically regardless of what you wear, but if everyday works better for that, then sure, do that.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017

Bowling attracts NPCs specifically to bowl if the venue is a Bar, Nightclub, or Lounge. Other venues it won't attract them away from the main venue functions any more than any other item will. (https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/sims-4-bowling-night-stuff-announce)

Teen hangout attracts teen walkbys going past the lot. (@SimGuruGraham said they'd look at renaming the lot trait, as it's really not clear from the name alone. The description is much more clear than the name.)

Well in past sims games the bowling was not in it's own pack but part of an ep and it was connected to a world and the content of that ep. It is not Maxis dictating how you play the game - but how you received the content and what it was programmed to actually work with.

It was basically programmed to work in a bar so naturally that is what it will work with the best. Also sims were not programmed to eat and bowl so expecting it to happen because it did in past games is sort of out there. At least you can build a bowling alley and dining place together with out a conflict but the fact the two were not meant to be done together is the issue. Dining had it's own pack also and was not an ep so you have that issue as well. If one or the other was part of an ep it would have probably been easier to do. Programming is specific more often than not.

There is no "you rule."

They do intertwine - otherwise you would get a conflict in the game putting a bowling alley in with a diner - so they are compatible but the sims are not programmed to eat and bowl.

I even tried putting a banquet table upstairs near the tables in the Dust bowl and loaded it with food and punch - not one sim but my sim ate from it. They wanted food they went to the bar - but then they stopped bowling period. They are not conflicting so you are able to do bowling in a diner - but the diner programming is going to override the bowling animation as the diner has the draw factor for sims to come and eat, not bowl.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JayGsmith08JayGsmith08 Posts: 102 Member
    I had my whole sim family go bowling and had a wonderful time bowling with the kids and also other bowlers were there. I downloaded the Oasis spring dust bowl as well as the other one that maxis provided
    edited March 2017
    I sent my sims bowling at the Oasis Springs Dust Bowl. there was plenty of bowlers there.. my sims did change into bowling shoes but they kept on the same clothes they were wearing.. the mother was in her bathing suit lol

They will only put on bowling shoes, and if they're maxed level with the skill, they'll wear a bowling glove. You can either change their outfit manually (by making one of the outfit categories in CAS a bowling league one, I'd suggest the sports one), or if you have GT and a family of Sims, put them in a club and set their outfits there and when you start a gathering, they'll put them on automatically for you. Clubs are handy in that you can also set the hangout location, and get there faster by starting the gathering. :) And bowling is a club activity so you can get the whole group to bowl together a bit easier too.

Good oldgamer - actually putting their out fit in everyday is better as bowling does not use the sporty outfit automation on its own - I had the best luck adding it to everyday. Of course if you use clubs then I am sure that is best - but I never use clubs so I can't test that. Well I could, but don't want to. They annoy me enough as it is not activating that system. LOL.

Oh? That's good to know then. I figured if you're gonna have to change into the outfit manually anyway, it'd make more sense to put the bowling outfit in the sports category just to make it easier for the player to find. I thought the bowling shoes and glove would be put on automatically regardless of what you wear, but if everyday works better for that, then sure, do that.

But then you will see the sims out jogging in bowling gear - lol.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    I had my whole sim family go bowling and had a wonderful time bowling with the kids and also other bowlers were there. I downloaded the Oasis spring dust bowl as well as the other one that maxis provided

Same here.
    It's funny though-my Sims played on the right hand lane, while all the teams that came in (2 or 3 different ones) played in the far left lane. Only Caleb Vatore (who was supposed to be bowling with my team) bowled in the second lane.
    I wanted my Sims to bowl in bowling outfits, so I created a club to set their outfits. They look great together, even if Mr. Snooty Vampire Caleb won't bowl with them.
    Let me just say how much I love the Dust Bowl. I set it for Moonlight Bowling all the time.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited March 2017
    OP, Also, I was looking at your lot you built, most sims won't move 5 feet away from the bar, let allow around a wall. Also the Lounge must have a microphone to make it work properly as a venue or it will not work. Also make sure you remember the golden rules in the Sims if it is more than 10 tiles away from the major attraction they won't use it. Put the comedian mic next to the bowling lanes and it will work, also put the bar on the other side of the divide sims are not going to go around a divider to use the stuff on the other side, now maybe in a bar yes, nightclub higher chance but lounge nope.

Edit: I am almost done with my lot I'll post it soon, I seen 3 sims bowling on the lot and the nice thing about making it a night club is the rooming clubs, bars and lounges will ignore the lanes during happy hour and special discount nights, but the rest of the time the sims should bowl there.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member

There is no "you rule."

They do intertwine - otherwise you would get a conflict in the game putting a bowling alley in with a diner - so they are compatiable but the sims are not programmed to eat and bowl.

I even tried putting a banquet table upstairs near the tables in the Dust bowl and loaded it with food and punch - not one sim but my sim ate from it. They wanted food they went to the bar - but then they stopped bowling period. They are not conflicting so you are able to do bowling in a diner - but the diner programming is gp and going to override the sp animation as the diner has the draw factor for sims to come and eat not bowl.

So they do not intertwine then.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited March 2017
    Testing out a bowling alley I'm building and I had a household on the lot for testing....within minutes of starting live mode to test, 14 sims came out of nowhere racing across the street and into the bowling alley. 7 of these sims were teens (and I have the teen lot trait) and from all sorts of different clubs, some with no club affiliation so it definitely wasn't a club meet-up. I know the teen lot trait is just supposed to bring them walking by and not onto the lot. I have 3 of the arcade machines upstairs and the teens all went right up the stairs and made a bee line for those arcade machines....so maybe that's a way to get more teens hanging out on the lot.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member

There is no "you rule."

My suggestion would be try creating a couple of bowling clubs that hang out at the restaurant and rule the game that way.
    I would take sims to a resturant to eat - then take them to a bowling alley. LOL That is if it is that important.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Actually teens and kids can show up to night clubs in the Sims, they just don't stay as late, even bars are open to kids during the day time, its night time that the kids can't go to bars.

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Starfree I like your pic! Nice!

I was just wondering if anyone started a new game since the bowling pack came out? When it first came out (played in prior game before patch), my family went bowling and it was full of "knights", LOL. Picnic lots weren't, but bowling was, but that was the first time I have tried bowling.

I am in the process of starting a new game, just to check out the picnic parks. Hopefully the bowling will be full like before.

I am just asking because I have heard someone say when a patch or pack comes out, they usually have to start a new game, so, just curious!

I was just wondering if anyone started a new game since the bowling pack came out? When it first came out (played in prior game before patch), my family went bowling and it was full of "knights", LOL. Picnic lots weren't, but bowling was, but that was the first time I have tried bowling.

I am in the process of starting a new game, just to check out the picnic parks. Hopefully the bowling will be full like before.

I am just asking because I have heard someone say when a patch or pack comes out, they usually have to start a new game, so, just curious!

That is odd because the patch came out before the bowling pack.

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »

That is odd because the patch came out before the bowling pack.

Yes. My picnics parks became bare when the patch came out. I hesitated starting a new game when the pack came out. I didn't and the bowling worked fine (but only went there once) but not the parks. So I started a new game to see if everything will be alive and bustling with sims everywhere. LOL (haven't played the new game yet, just setting it up)
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    Thanks everyone for the responses & suggestions for possible fixes. I tried rearranging things as suggested but still wasn't getting sims bowling. So moved my Sims 4 folder to the desktop & started a completely "clean" game & put the Oasis Springs Dust Bowl in place. Within a few minutes I had a 4 person team bowling. When they were done another two person team bowled on one lane and a single person on another. So figure it has to be something in my original game causing the problem, maybe a mod. So "hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to bug hunt I go".
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited April 2017
    THe bowling stuff pack is TERRIBLE. I mean, bowling is functional and all, but there's so little stuff. No new windows or doors or wallpaper or carpet or indoor plants or functional shelves; in fact hardly any new anything. Bowling doesn't even keep score. I mean, DARTS keeps score, so no excuses.

Chrissake this is Sims 4! I never thought I'd say this but sequels are meant to be an advance.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    Within a few minutes I had a 4 person team bowling. When they were done another two person team bowled on one lane and a single person on another.
    If you want more bowlers, you can also create a club, set bowling as the activity for the club and then delete yourself out of the club (just make sure to keep it an open invite club). I did that and when I went to test a bowling alley build, the entire bowling club showed up to bowl shortly after I entered the venue...that was in addition to the normal families/groups that show up to bowl.

Loanet wrote: »
    THe bowling stuff pack is TERRIBLE. I mean, bowling is functional and all, but there's so little stuff. No new windows or doors or wallpaper or carpet or indoor plants or functional shelves; in fact hardly any new anything. Bowling doesn't even keep score. I mean, DARTS keeps score, so no excuses.

Chrissake this is Sims 4! I never thought I'd say this but sequels are meant to be an advance.

There's plenty of new stuff, including at least one rug, a wall pattern, lights, tables & chairs and wall decorations. There's also a couple new hairstyles & clothes in CAS. And I'm not sure if you noticed, but your sim will get a score at the end of their game. It shows up as a notification.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017

What you got with Lucky Simoleans Casino--11 objects (well, actually, 9, since they included the venue itself as an object and the bar was just a recolor):

luckysimoleans.png

What you're getting with Bowling Night Stuff:

bowlingnight.png

I'm not really seeing the issue here exactly...
    Post edited by ts1depot on
    EiFlric.png
    Well, I found the culprit that caused me to not have any bowlers. It was Graycurse's cooking & ingredient overhaul mod. Now things are working good, at least at the Oasis Springs Dust Bowl; will need to try my build tomorrow. Thanks again for all the suggestions :)
  • tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    . No new wallpaper

??? There IS a new wall, and even a new floor.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

I know, right?

LJnhlZY.jpg
    nt08Bfq.jpg

Oh wait. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited April 2017
    @Starfree I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet (or I looked over it), but is your lot on the Windenburg Island? At least it looks like it could be (hard to tell actually), I might be wrong though, it could also be Oasis Springs...
    Anyway, there a two things specific to island that might cause the lack of other bowlers. First of all, there are never any Sims walking by on the island, it was meant to be a more private area - so that's why the teen hangout lot trait probably doesn't work (very well) there. And second, it takes Sims forever to get to a lot on the island because there's only one spawning point - it can take an hour or more to reach a certain lot.
    So, maybe it helps if you move it to another world (as Windenburg tends to have really long distances from spawning points to lots in all of its neigbourhoods). If it's already in Oasis Springs, then moving it probably won't make much of a difference.

For anyone else who gets (too) little bowlers, does your lot have 3 or more lanes? A bar, nightclub or lounge needs at least 3 bowling lanes in order to function like a bowling alley.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
    @MDianaSanders, my bowling alley'a in Oasis Springs; I'm turning that world into a "business district." Hmm, didn't know that about Windenburg's island; good to know though ☺.

And @TheGoodOldGamer & @ts1depot , seeing it all laid out like that I fully realize how much we actually got.