Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 discs

I need some advice. I have all the Sim 3 discs, but I also have their equivalent on Origin. Do I still need the old discs or would it be safe to throw them out? Is there any use for the old discs?

Comments

• Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @Bronwin2 IMHO I wouldn't throw those out. From what I understand, you can get away from origin (if needed) if you had an all disc install and a pre-2012 base game disc. For some there is a benefit playing without origin. Currently, I'm trying to track down discs to finish my collection. :)
    If nothing else, maybe you should sell them. There are simmers, like myself, who are looking for the discs.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Everytime a Sims 3 disk gets thrown out, there's a little fairy somewhere that falls right down dead.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @JoAnne65 :D So true!! When @Bronwin2 mentioned throwing them out my heart dropped! :D
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited March 2017
    Keep them. I have all mine still and all my sims 1 and 2 discs. My bookshelf makes me look like quite the obsessed simmer!
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I have them all too for 1, 2 and 3. :)

I would also keep them. Digital copies are good for 5 PC installs (you have to deauthorize each PC in order to not go over that number). Disks are unlimited installs from what I understand.

Plus I don't want Origin interfering in my game. There is no reason for it except EA gets access to our PCs and gets to advertise stuff to us. It's resource intense and TS3 is also resource intense so it's not a good combo.

I actually purchased extra disks a few years back so I have backup copies. :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm another one who has all of Sims 1, 2 and 3 in disc form, kept on a shelf, gathering dust but looking oh so pretty :love:

So, personally I say keep them, like everyone else :lol:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I'm keeping my disks as I prefer an Origin-free game/patch-level. But if you personally don't plan to use the disks again, don't want to keep them due to space reasons, etc., I'd suggest selling or donating them instead.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Totally do not throw your discs out for this reason alone.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Everytime a Sims 3 disk gets thrown out, there's a little fairy somewhere that falls right down dead.
    I also think the same thing applies if you upcycle them - don't do it!!! Leave them in their natural habitats (the disc boxes, on a dusty shelf).

But, seriously, I actually bought a missing EP disc a few months ago which I only had on digital download - just so I could install the whole lot via disc instead of Origin and avoid the nasty new patch.
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    Am I the only one who at seeing @Rflong7 's post, thought about using the Disc's to create a model of a house and a little Sim? :sweat_smile:

wow, I am obsessed...
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,278 Member
    I agree with everyone else, keep them as you never know what EA may decide to do with TS3 in the future. Unless you don't mind using Origin to start your game with. But me, I am trying to avoid the 1.69 patch as much as I can, so I am keeping all of my discs and I don't care if they are dust collectors... :)
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    OK. I'll keep them.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Nooo... make a Wind Chime!

Oh, A pink Flamingo with game disks hanging from it- Classic Style. Or Maybe A Ninja Gnome with a bunch of game Disks- Fabulous. :mrgreen:

Ooh nice idea, but making a wind chime would take away precious sims gaming time! :p
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Am I the only one who thinks a player might have trouble shoving a pink flamingo or set of wind chimes into an optical drive and having it be read properly sometime in the future if needed? :D
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    At the very least, keep your product codes. Sometimes Origin flakes out and forgets what you own.
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    I need some advice. I have all the Sim 3 discs, but I also have their equivalent on Origin. Do I still need the old discs or would it be safe to throw them out? Is there any use for the old discs?

OMG, my heart stopped for a beat there. If you really have no use for them, ever (and are 120% sure you will never want or need to go back to anything other than origin and/or are completely secure in the fact of origin never dismissing Sims 3) then by all means, do what you feel you should, but as an avid collector, my heart did skip a beat. I get yell-y when my pile of discs (all sims discs Sims 1 - Sims 3) gets disorganized. Imagine an older woman yelling across the house, "Who the plum touched Sims 2 Apartment Life?! Where is it!?!". If someone in this house suggested I throw them away, well, I couldn't be held responsible for my actions at that time. lol
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I still use the discs. I don't like the last patch and origin forces it upon the player. You have more options to rollback with the discs.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Even if you have no desire to skip Origin, keep the disk. I have mine stored away in a cabinet and one day I will buy whatever I don't have on disk. I regret grabbing some of the packs on Origin instead of buying all physical copies.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/