Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Nostalgia

Comments

• jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @elanorbreton I miss the structure of the old forum, and the possibility to add friends... :) It took some getting used to, this forum, but once you get a hang on the different threads, it's cool too.
    NymlADp.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    jillbg wrote: »
    @elanorbreton I miss the structure of the old forum, and the possibility to add friends... :) It took some getting used to, this forum, but once you get a hang on the different threads, it's cool too.

Especially when a thread you're posting in and enjoying suddenly disappears.

Some thought and research will generally find it moved to a different part of the forums where it dies a quick death because no one who is interested in it can find it any more.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    So true, @Karritz ! :) I keep wondering about all those "dead" threads that keep resurfacing though... :/
    NymlADp.jpg
    So true, @Karritz ! :) I keep wondering about all those "dead" threads that keep resurfacing though... :/

Some of them are interesting. I suspect it's people trying to find answers to their current problems and that's how they are finding the threads. Some might find answers that way without posting more others add to them.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member

Some of those dead threads is due to new members not being able to start new threads until they become full members. Someone had resurrected one from 2009 that was about forum ranks and acouple of people posted in there to point out to the person that resurrected that the thread was from 2009 and it had nothing to do with this site. Then the person who brought revived the thread came back and said in what I thought was a rude way was that since they can't start new threads, they have to post in existing threads.
    lisasc360 wrote: »

Some of those dead threads is due to new members not being able to start new threads until they become full members. Someone had resurrected one from 2009 that was about forum ranks and acouple of people posted in there to point out to the person that resurrected that the thread was from 2009 and it had nothing to do with this site. Then the person who brought revived the thread came back and said in what I thought was a rude way was that since they can't start new threads, they have to post in existing threads.

I suppose they felt a bit offended about some of the rude comments they got condemning them for reviving an old thread.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited March 2017
    Karritz wrote: »
    lisasc360 wrote: »

I suppose they felt a bit offended about some of the rude comments they got condemning them for reviving an old thread.

They might have - although common sense does seem to dictate that it's just easy to post in a current thread as it is to post in 5 year old one. Easier, even. If they were searching for an answer to a question tho, I can see how they would come across the older threads and comment on them without thinking about it. I've done it.

But in any event - welcome back to the boards @SIMplified - always nice to see the old names pop up again. :)

waves at @dothesmustle - good to see you too!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Not to sound overly grumpy, but the ones I don't understand aren't the newer or returned and maybe slightly confused forum users still learning their way around and not sure where/how to post. It's the ones who answer a thread's original question full of energy and enthusiasm, with "Hope I helped!" or something at the end, except the original question was from eight years ago, is likely no longer even relevant today, and in many cases was already answered many times over within the same thread long ago.

And the one who revives the thread never returns to the forums after that moment either.

I see this on other forums as well and don't have the slightest idea what these "new" users just passing by are trying to accomplish.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I think there should be a noob category right up there under general where low-count posters can start threads asking questions. It would be convenient for those helping to have all the current, valid questions lumped in one neat category and get their questions addressed.

But... we all know how asking for better forum categories goes around here.
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member

Wellcome back @SIMplified! I think I remember you from the old fórums either, there are still some old posters remaining here, hope you join us aswell!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
    igazor wrote: »
    Not to sound overly grumpy, but the ones I don't understand aren't the newer or returned and maybe slightly confused forum users still learning their way around and not sure where/how to post. It's the ones who answer a thread's original question full of energy and enthusiasm, with "Hope I helped!" or something at the end, except the original question was from eight years ago, is likely no longer even relevant today, and in many cases was already answered many times over within the same thread long ago.

And the one who revives the thread never returns to the forums after that moment either.

I see this on other forums as well and don't have the slightest idea what these "new" users just passing by are trying to accomplish.

Most likely they realized their error and slunk off in embarrassment.

I agree with @Rflong7 - it's mostly fun to see old threads pop up... I admit to scratching my head a couple of times until I learned to check the op date tho. :)

@Rflong7 - what all is involved in opening up your world topics?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Rflong7 How come they closed all of your old threads down? Was it because they are pre 2015?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Rflong7 How come they closed all of your old threads down? Was it because they are pre 2015?

Not all of them, just some older ones; and yes, most of my world topics are pre-2015. :)

@Surreal I'd have to ask a moderator... and give them a good reason it's worth opening (and they'd have to answer). :lol:
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Rflong7 It is a shame that a lot of gold threads have been closed when they where active for years and they still provide a reliable source of feedback.

I mean notice how all of the long lasting threads of the forums these days are usually TS3 related? That is pretty telling! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Not all of them, just some older ones; and yes, most of my world topics are pre-2015. :)

@Surreal I'd have to ask a moderator... and give them a good reason it's worth opening (and they'd have to answer). :lol:

Yeah... I see the problem. lol

We could make new ones? I know long time simmers know all about your worlds and love them, but perhaps the newer simmers don't? Or... if you were to make any adjustments to a world, wouldn't that create the need to have the topics re-opened?
    I was thinking about asking to have a couple of my old threads in the store general discussion reopened. I thought about it for a long time. Then one day I noticed they'd been mysteriously reopened. I suppose someone else wanted them opened too. Otherwise it was a miraculous happening.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    It's a shame that some threads got closed, moved or deleted. I still have this one bookmarked - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/703595/sims-3-store-world-master-creation-sharing-directory/p1 which would have been of great use except that the individual world threads have either been moved or deleted as the links to them no longer work.

We really need somewhere in the forum for sims 3 creations. It is just mean of them not to let us have such a section when there are still so many sims 3 players around *sulks and joins @igazor in grumpy mode*
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Oh wow! I don't know how you did that, you are so clever B)

Thank you <3
    Wow @Rflong7 - you are good! :)

Glad your threads were re-opened.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Oh those lot sharing links are so handy, thank you @Rflong7 for doing that ! <3
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    Awwww welcome back
    I wish I was on the old forum too T^T
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]