Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Oh, I absolutely love it! That yellow is so pretty! I also love the way you did the tower roof! And, of course I love those DV roof pieces. They always add so much to the looks. Very, very nice!
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker That's gorgeous!! <3
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Ciane:

Ok, choice time.

Which of these fireplaces would you prefer for this?
    14trg4p.jpg
    119mfcw.jpg
    14tvgbk.jpg
    16gzwye.jpg
    a4tyys.jpg

Which of these china cabinets would you prefer for this?
    2chutye.jpg
    ciane wrote: »
    Oh, I absolutely love it! That yellow is so pretty! I also love the way you did the tower roof! And, of course I love those DV roof pieces. They always add so much to the looks. Very, very nice!
    @MiaSkywalker That's gorgeous!! <3
    Thank you. :) I'm certainly glad I started this early, though. I think it's going to take longer than some of the other things I've built.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @MiaSkywalker Wow!!!!! That looks super! Great choice of windows and good job with the decorative roof trims. Those things drive me nuts trying to get the roof angle just right.
    @MiaSkywalker
    Which of these china cabinets would you prefer for this?
    2chutye.jpg

Ooh where did that second one come from?
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, @MiaSkywalker, we found a black lab and have been busy posting, casing the neighborhood, making signs, and trying to find an owner.

I love that first fireplace with it's rounded look and mirror. (Though the last one too is rounded and looks great, so either first or last). And I'll say the same of the china cabinet: the first is rounded on top and the second has glass the same shape as the windows. With those round top windows, they just match the look so well.

P.S, The dog was reunited with his owner.
    Post edited by ciane on
    Ooh where did that second one come from?
    It's from Supernatural. See? You have to get that expansion. :)
    P.S, The dog was reunited with his owner.
    That's great! One time when I was a child, my sister and I took care of a mama cat and her single kitten, until we found the owners a few weeks later. One of my neighbors was sad, because she had wanted to keep the cats, but I was glad they had found their family.

Ok, now I have a few more questions for you. Would you like the house to be furnished in a rather Victorian style, or more modern? I've started to furnish it, and I've been doing it with a Victorian feel, but that might not be what you would like.
    edited March 2017
    First floor decorating started. CASting not done though. I've tried a few things, but I'm still experimenting. @ciane, would you have any preferences for color palettes? Right now I'm using pale beige, white, cream, and pale blue. I can either keep the same palette for all rooms, or would you like them different?
    Night-time
    2wp5c7o.jpg

Daytime
    iop4at.jpg
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, I was so tired from all my extra exercise and emotional rollercoaster yesterday, I guess. I did wake up early, but then I managed to go back to sleep for another hour.

I love it, @MiaSkywalker, just the way you've done it. The color scheme is perfect. And a Victorian house should have Victorian furniture. I can already tell you will have major problems with this budget, but the important thing is to have fun.

Simple suggestions for you to consider:
    Remove the last walls (one on either side), closest to the bottom of the staircase, and replace with shorter height, solid fence or half wall. It'll make better use of the light from the window there, add a little more interest to the small hallway, and make the stairs seem a bit more organic and open. It should work great with the paneling you've used.

Remove the bookcases on either side of the door in the study, putting a plant closest to the window and angling that closest piece of furniture in that other corner. Is that a grandfather's clock by the desk or a bookcase? I'd center it on that wall (where the desk is) and move the desk to replace the other bookcase (farthest from the windows) so that the desk faces the windows (and that other bookcase) looking out into the backyard while working on whatever one is working on at the desk will be much nicer than having your back to the door and your face to the wall. (You'll save lots of money by removing three extra bookcases and the room will actually appear even fuller.)

In the living room, you could delete the green chair and one loveseat, putting the remaining loveseat on the three wall tiles where the green chair is now (and shifting the wall deco to the middle to center on it). Angle the beige chair, in place, with its back to the corner. Slide the long couch that is centered under the double window so that it either centers under the single window instead or on the wall between the two windows. Shift the remaining long couch to center on its wall. Then try rotating the piano so the open part sends music out to most of the room. (You save money on seating and bring everyone into a position to talk with everyone else.)

I'm not sure what you have in mind for the dining room table arrangement, but you might try angling the table where it is so that one end faces the fireplace and the other faces the corner between the single window and the bay window. That way both sides of the table get a view of the fire place.

Wow, this has taken me forever to type up! Remember that these are suggestions only. It looks awesome as is. I'm only trying to save some cost on the overall budget, so you can add more stuff elsewhere. And, one can't say enough how perfect it all looks! Thank you so much for making this for me.

And, it's awesome that you were to take care of a cat and her kitten AND then find their family as well. I was so amazed at the technology that let us find the owner on a Friday night rather than waiting for all the places that would be open on a weekday to help out. Facebook does have a very useful side other than its obvious social aspects.
    @MiaSkywalker *doh* :lol:

Alright, alright, I might have to look into Supernatural at last. I *did* finally get Seasons downloaded last night so will look at that today and see what new pretties it brought me :)
    Seasons is amazing! So much fun stuff added to the game. You'll love it!
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, I was so tired from all my extra exercise and emotional rollercoaster yesterday, I guess. I did wake up early, but then I managed to go back to sleep for another hour.

I love it, @MiaSkywalker, just the way you've done it. The color scheme is perfect. And a Victorian house should have Victorian furniture. I can already tell you will have major problems with this budget, but the important thing is to have fun.
    Thanks! :) Yeah, I have definitely NOT kept on budget. It's already over budget, and I haven't started the second floor yet! One of these days I'll learn how to follow a budget, but this build isn't it. :D
    Simple suggestions for you to consider:
    Remove the last walls (one on either side), closest to the bottom of the staircase, and replace with shorter height, solid fence or half wall. It'll make better use of the light from the window there, add a little more interest to the small hallway, and make the stairs seem a bit more organic and open. It should work great with the paneling you've used.
    Took me a while to figure out what you meant, but I think I've got it now. You mean just the last wall on each side, right? I was trying to get the feel of a private hallway to the left of the stairs (below it, in the image), but I see what you mean. What I think I might do is remove the wall completely on the left side, and just leave the wall that's on the kitchen. I might put a plant or two against the window, and then just a rail on one side of the stairway that sides the hallway.

I've redone the stairways several times already, once to completely reverse the directions. The other direction didn't look right on the third floor at all, and didn't look all that great on the second floor. I decided this direction is much better on every floor, but I've been a bit baffled by that window area.
    Remove the bookcases on either side of the door in the study, putting a plant closest to the window and angling that closest piece of furniture in that other corner. Is that a grandfather's clock by the desk or a bookcase? I'd center it on that wall (where the desk is) and move the desk to replace the other bookcase (farthest from the windows) so that the desk faces the windows (and that other bookcase) looking out into the backyard while working on whatever one is working on at the desk will be much nicer than having your back to the door and your face to the wall. (You'll save lots of money by removing three extra bookcases and the room will actually appear even fuller.)
    Yes, those two are bookcases as well. The thing on the wall is one of those hanging grandfather clocks, iirc. I figured the study would absolutely need a clock, since that's where any business appointments would be kept.

Do you mean, have the desk facing away from the wall that has no windows? Actually, that's a good idea, and I can add a couple of chairs sort of facing the desk on the other side. If someone used that room for business appointments, that would be more appropriate, anyway. Your Sims could also sit in those chairs when reading, although they'll probably head for a chair on the other side of the house anyway, because, you know, they're Sims. :)
    In the living room, you could delete the green chair and one loveseat, putting the remaining loveseat on the three wall tiles where the green chair is now (and shifting the wall deco to the middle to center on it). Angle the beige chair, in place, with its back to the corner. Slide the long couch that is centered under the double window so that it either centers under the single window instead or on the wall between the two windows. Shift the remaining long couch to center on its wall. Then try rotating the piano so the open part sends music out to most of the room. (You save money on seating and bring everyone into a position to talk with everyone else.)
    Actually, I had placed those two chairs there because I was deciding which to use. I've decided on the white one, although I've recoloured it. The layout is now completely different for the sofas, chairs, tables, and lamps, but I've left the piano in the same place. I've also added a bass and a lute. (Well, a guitar, but the one that's shaped like a lute.) Too bad they don't have harps in this game; those were played a lot in the Victorian era. :) I'm posting an updated image of it below. I'll still have to test to make sure all three instruments are usable, and move things around if they aren't.

I may use the green one (probably recoloured) upstairs in a sitting room. I haven't worked out the layout of the third floor yet at all, so many things are up in the air. :)
    2q1gqrq.jpg
    ETA: I just realized that I had forgotten to move that green chair out of there! It's been done now. :) Oh, and that's a chocolate fountain on that small table in the room. Because chocolate. :)
    I'm not sure what you have in mind for the dining room table arrangement, but you might try angling the table where it is so that one end faces the fireplace and the other faces the corner between the single window and the bay window. That way both sides of the table get a view of the fire place.
    Actually, I didn't have anything in mind in the dining room at all. I've tried a few positions for the table, but none of them satisfied me. The three chairs are just because I am trying to figure out which one I prefer; I will probably let you decide which one you prefer instead. :)

I think I see what you mean about the table. Hm... I hadn't thought of angling it. I'll try that today.
    Wow, this has taken me forever to type up! Remember that these are suggestions only. It looks awesome as is. I'm only trying to save some cost on the overall budget, so you can add more stuff elsewhere. And, one can't say enough how perfect it all looks! Thank you so much for making this for me.
    Yeah, I had replied to everything in this... and then my computer locked up and I lost it all. :( I wasn't happy about retyping it, but I was unhappier that my computer locked up in the first place. (And was tempted to throw it out the window, I was so irritated with it.) Also, with the forums logging people out every 20 minutes or so, I'm now typing everything in Notepad first, so I can save it if (when) I get logged out again.
    And, it's awesome that you were to take care of a cat and her kitten AND then find their family as well. I was so amazed at the technology that let us find the owner on a Friday night rather than waiting for all the places that would be open on a weekday to help out. Facebook does have a very useful side other than its obvious social aspects.
    Yes, back then the internet wasn't even a twinkle in a professor's eye. In fact, that was before anyone had even considered the idea of making a computer that was smaller than a mid-sized bedroom. We had to post notices on the local grocery and drug store pin-up boards, and had to hope that the owners lived nearby. (I do not live in a small town.) Since one of them was a kitten, it would have been highly unlikely that they would have travelled far, so we actually had a good shot at finding the owners, presuming either they or one of their friends checked those boards.

Still took several weeks for them to find us, however. I can only imagine that with social media being what it is, it would now be faster and easier to find a pet's owners. Another helpful thing is pet chips. Most vets will check for pet chips for free. Unless you live in a small town, there should be some vets open any day of the week. Although admittedly, probably not in the evening. :)
    We had a lady see our post and come by with a chip reader, but the dog wasn't microchipped. However, hubby took a pic of the dog and posted it along with his name and phone number and address. The pic wasn't a good one, but good enough. The dog's family saw the pic and called our house.

So, the logging you out every 20 minutes is happening to a lot of people. For me, I had to click to log in, but then I didn't have to actually log in. Does that make sense? No user name and password had to be entered!

Sorry you had to post all that again. That would have been majorly disappointing!
    We had a lady see our post and come by with a chip reader, but the dog wasn't microchipped. However, hubby took a pic of the dog and posted it along with his name and phone number and address. The pic wasn't a good one, but good enough. The dog's family saw the pic and called our house.

So, the logging you out every 20 minutes is happening to a lot of people. For me, I had to click to log in, but then I didn't have to actually log in. Does that make sense? No user name and password had to be entered!

Sorry you had to post all that again. That would have been majorly disappointing!
    Yeah, I didn't have to actually enter my user name or password, but it took me away from the thread, so I had to manually get back to the correct forum and thread. Someone changed a forum setting at the admin end that they shouldn't have.
    Which chair would you prefer for the dining room table? I prefer the middle one, but the one on the right is the least expensive.
    9gdc0h.jpg
    If the one on the right is the least expensive, I say go with that one. I will do my part to help you save money! :mrgreen:
    edited March 2017
    @Ciane:

Which of these do you prefer? I will probably use different ones for different rooms, so feel free to express multiple preferences. :) If you have a number one preference, I will use that one in the master bedroom.
    35lgrap.jpg
    ilycn7.jpg

Dining room.
    9tdh5v.jpg
    ev58nc.jpg
    34zy2jn.jpg
    r20zko.jpg

Any preferences?
    majf2b.jpg
    2vt6r6g.jpg

Do you prefer one over the other?
    2eas9hv.jpg
    2lkwkmx.jpg
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    A, I, J, and M are all great shapes. A is my favorite here, I think.

Dining room. I wasn't sure you'd have room for the table that way, but you do. That is the perfect placement, and the seating under the window and extra chairs to the side is perfect. I think those flowers would nice centered under the double windows (or not at all) and not on the other side where they'd probably hinder routing. I think it's great you snuck in an all-in-one there, but I like the room best without it. Maybe the rolling tea cart could fit there instead?

I like the long couch best there as it breaks up the window line (if that makes sense) adding movement to the eye as you follow the outline down from window edge to couch edge. BUT I also love the additional color variation the end table adds. You might be able to MOO a tall round end table with spindly legs there or the small square wooden one (with skinny legs) using the lighter colored wood off the floor.

I really love the floors you chose and the soft blue and creme.

It's looking beautiful.
    edited March 2017
    @kgaff - Your house is ready. I thoroughly tested with the horses, but didn't get around to checking with the dogs. The horses will run up on the hill and all around with no problems. They even like to let themselves into the little garden to taste the berries. I had to lock the gates!

Some days you might find some things just a little bit more challenging. It has taken me this long to get the lot uploaded.
    It's here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9067211
    roof_up_original.jpg

I had to rename it to get it to upload, so it's now Okay Country instead of Kgaff Kountry, but I didn't change my cover pic.

Pics are in the upload and here: https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/kgaff-country/kgaff

My computer told me it was running low on space, so I had to do some cleaning out. I was real leery about which old saves to delete. The main problem was that I save alot. I had been playing my legacy in the house that creativemetaphor built for me. So, I had a lot of old saves there! I'm almost ready for the move to Moonlight Falls. I think I'll start playing in the Rodgers house until they can afford the move into the Moonlight Mansion!

I uploaded the foal from CAS because he can't be by himself. It said it uploaded, but it isn't anywhere. I uploaded again with the same results. I could age him up and try to upload as a horse in CAS. Then you could age him back down in CAS when you make your sim. (It's also possible that he'll show up as an adoptable foal in your game as he did in mine.)
    Post edited by ciane on
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited March 2017
    @ciane, it was fun collaborating with you and personalizing this build for your legacy game.

Moderately Modern was built on a 20x20 lot, 42 Sulfur Springs Road in Aurora Skies, for slightly less than 60,000 simoleons.
    FINAL%20HouseFront_zpsjvoqn5qz.jpg
    Exchange Download
    Please note… all appliances & electronics have been upgraded to unbreakable except for the improved meal quality added to the stove.

GROUND LEVEL
    The view is nice from all sides.
    FINAL%20HouseFront_zpsjvoqn5qz.jpg
    FINAL%20SideL_zps5g0azyio.jpg
    FINAL%20Back_zpsnsvgsgyt.jpg
    FINAL%20SideR_zpsceg8rseb.jpg

22f08b28-cfad-4ea3-9cc1-6a50c8b0b0cb_zps9s4ruzuz.jpg

The entry foyer contains seating for removing muddy footwear and a convenient laundry nook for getting loads done when heading out the door or returning home.
    FINAL%20Entry_zpswrfmsxat.jpg

The door opposite the “mudroom” leads to the garage.
    FINAL%20Garage_zpsz3rxpp25.jpg

Behind the garage is a tool shed.
    FINAL%20Shed_zpsrub6syan.jpg

The door at the end, nearest the laundry nook, leads to the hot tub and garden.
    FINAL%20Garden_zpsstker3wm.jpg

MAIN FLOOR
    393dec26-b632-43d9-a357-7b156bec9559_zpsyx6n4vsn.jpg

The main floor uses the open layout to take advantage of the small space and gorgeous views.

FINAL%20Kitchen_zps4cog30i8.jpg
    FINAL%20Dining_zpsfrtz07nk.jpg

A quick step out the sliding doors shows a balcony where the grill and hanging chair are set up.
    FINAL%20Balcony_zps9bxfs7r1.jpg

Back inside to see the living space
    FINAL%20Living_zpsu64frzxy.jpg
    FINAL%20Living2_zps4bt7j0n6.jpg

A half bath saves family members and guests from having to rush up another flight of stairs.
    FINAL%20HalfBath_zpsgpl41n31.jpg

UPPER FLOOR
    The upper floor gets creative with the small space and offers surprisingly spacious bedrooms.

787911da-7e98-4224-998c-a4ec469c0529_zpstoolo2f8.jpg

The landing offers a quiet spot for relaxing with a good book or grabbing a quick nap.
    FINAL%20Landing_zpsjyacvyod.jpg

The left side of the landing leads to the nursery/child’s area.

ciane%20KidBath_zpspyor0is3.jpg
    FINAL%20Kids_zpsowitujf4.jpg
    FINAL%20Kids2_zpszamefkhf.jpg

The door to the right of the couch leads to a study.
    ciane%20Study1_zpsk0jkukel.jpg
    ciane%20Study2_zps9n69a7fj.jpg

The door to the left of the couch leads to the master suite.
    ciane%20MBed1_zpslvr3atcw.jpg

There is a small changing area.
    ciane%20MBed2_zpslggoukgb.jpg

The master bathroom contains double sinks to make the morning rush not so frantic.
    FINAL%20MBath1_zpsmpamdu14.jpg

The toilet is semi-private and the tub space has a half wall to take advantage of the natural light coming in the windows of the dressing area.
    ciane%20MBath2_zps1iygnr49.jpg

EXTRAS
    My tester family had an unexpected guest their first night.
    1st%20Night_zps6pn2wcek.jpg

The burglar finished freaking out over the alarm and got in their car as Officer Amanda Lund casually strolled up.
    1st%20Night%20Part2_zps7mhgfars.jpg
    1st%20Night%20Part3_zpswj5qytlk.jpg

The burglar got away but thanks to the trusty alarm, nothing was taken.

The school bus stop isn’t at a convenient location so it might be a good idea to petition the school board for correcting this potential crossing hazard.
    School%20Bus%20Stop_zpsno0jdlr3.jpg

After the tester family was finished, they moved out and Addy Sim added a few finishing touches. **hint hint look in the bookcases hint hint**
    FINAL%20Book_zpsgvsawmg8.jpg
    The book made me laugh out loud! Too awesome. Sneaky burglars trying to get away with something while you are still working on the lot! So glad you stuck the alarm on the outside of the house!

I will NEVER understand the bus stops and carpool spots either! I played a lot in Dragon Valley and they might have to go further to catch the bus or carpool than to just walk to school to work!

It turned out great @ADWilson! You did a spectacular job! I'm going to love playing here. And 60k doesn't seem like too much.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    The book made me laugh out loud! Too awesome. Sneaky burglars trying to get away with something while you are still working on the lot! So glad you stuck the alarm on the outside of the house!

I will NEVER understand the bus stops and carpool spots either! I played a lot in Dragon Valley and they might have to go further to catch the bus or carpool than to just walk to school to work!

It turned out great @ADWilson! You did a spectacular job! I'm going to love playing here. And 60k doesn't seem like too much.

Thought you'd like the book title. ;)
    When you posted about having to re-do some of the CFE work in the build for Mia, I thought "if anyone can bounce back and conquer CFE, ciane can" and... this little idea was born.

The burglar came while Addy Sim lived there as well.
    Guess what?
    The same thing happened again! The burglar leaves while the cop is sauntering up the sidewalk. I'm thinking the game generated parking spots are too far away. There are three 20x20 lots next to one another on this street so you might want to consider moving the house closer to the intersection.

Glad you like it! Tried to keep it somewhat affordable for your sim.
    :smiley:
    @ADWilson Gorgeous!