Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Has Sold Over 5M Copies

Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
I apologize if someone else has already posted this, I looked and didn't see anything.

According to Simguru Lyndsay, the sims 4 has sold over 5m, while this was rumored a while ago, it is now officially confirmed.

http://simscommunity.info/2017/03/21/the-sims-4-simgurulyndsay-talks-game-sales-and-cas-gender-update/ for more information

"Interviewer: We have a non-official number that The Sims 4 has sold over 5 million copies worldwide. Is that correct?

Lyndsay Pearson: Yeah, it’s definitely somewhere over that! We don’t really track specific numbers but there are millions of players who are playing The Sims 4 and have seen this update."

At least we can now once and for all settle that sims 4 did not flop in it's sales. Discuss Politely.
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Customer loyalty. They've built a franchise of games for over 17 years. However, that doesn't mean all customers are happy or satisfied with the overall product. There's a big difference between sales and customer satisfaction ratings. They can (and usually do) affect each other eventually, but not necessarily at the same time.

But maybe that's not what you were wanting to discuss? You left this very open ended.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited March 2017
    Customer loyalty. They've built a franchise of games for over 17 years. However, that doesn't mean all customers are happy or satisfied with the overall product. There's a big difference between sales and customer satisfaction ratings. They can (and usually do) affect each other eventually, but not necessarily at the same time.

But maybe that's not what you were wanting to discuss? You left this very open ended.

Of course it doesn't mean everyone is happy with the product. Sales never mean that, not of any product, no matter how many of a product are sold. I don't see that anyone is claiming it means that, either.

But I can see good reason for posting this info. There's been so much discussion here over whether that 5M pin meant 5 million sold. Now we know that over 5 million have been sold, so that discussion can be put to bed.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Good job Sims 4! The game is FAR from perfect but every iteration was. I am glad it is doing well. I've sunk hours upon hours into this game like every iteration before it.

Of course it doesn't mean everyone is happy with the product. Sales never mean that, not of any product, no matter how many of a product are sold. I don't see that anyone is claiming it means that, either.

But I can see good reason for posting this info. There's been so much discussion here over whether that 5M pin meant 5 million sold. Now we know that over 5 million have been sold, so that discussion can be put to bed.

Ah. I have not seen the topic regarding sales you are referring to. So, I wasn't sure to what end we were discussing this. 5 million is great news. Big congrats to EA and Maxis.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    This can be interpreted as very good news. Sales are always an indicator to sanction the next iteration, after all. Although, I'm not done with this iteration. I love the toddlers! And I would very much like to see an active entertainer career, celebrity, et al. I know some really hate celebrity, but perhaps the ability to achieve it should be toned down, just a bit, wherein other than just being polite to one, your Sim has to actually achieve something noteworthy? I mapped out an idea of what I'd like to see in a singer/entertainer career in Sims4. Load screens and all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Thanks for posting a statement from someone we can trust. I'd love the game even if they hadn't sold that many. I really want celebrities too @GalacticGal and can't wait for some sort of University pack or Game Pack.
    egTcBMc.png
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Good job Sims 4! The game is FAR from perfect but every iteration was. I am glad it is doing well. I've sunk hours upon hours into this game like every iteration before it.

I don't believe that is well and I think they will just break even on cost and development. That does confirm one of my earlier debate on a earlier thread. Sims 3 Sold 1.4 million in the first week compared to Sims 4. Hopefully if there is Sims 5 it timeline will line up with Sims 2 and Sims 3.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Only just about half of what TS3 has sold then:
    Electronic Arts released The Sims 3 to retailers worldwide and available by digital download on June 2, 2009.[6] The sequel, developed by The Sims Studio, was announced by EA in November 2006. The game is set 25 years prior the original game, and features an open, seamless neighborhood, improved tools for sim creation, enhanced build and buy mode functions, and the introduction of wishes and goals. The game also introduces a new form of directed gameplay through small, step-wise goals presented as opportunities which the player may choose to pursue or refuse. The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, making it the largest release in PC gaming history at the time.[7] The game has sold over 10 million copies worldwide since its release.

The above is taken from Wikipedia and may well already be out of date.

Also there may or may not be a reason why I highlighted some sentences in italics :blush:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Someone claimed about a month ago that is sold 5mil back when we saw that 5M button thing, though SimGuruDrake's comments contradict that. I remember looking at numbers provided by games that sold at a similar rate to Sims 4 and my estimate was about 3.5mil copies sold.

If it's truly sold 5mil now, then that'd mean the game sells somewhere between 1.5mil and 2mil copies anually. I think if it sold 2mil copies, I would've seen it mentioned by one of the games next to Sims 4 in the charts, but it'd definitely be closer to 2mil than 1.5mil. So yeah, we're probably looking at 1.8mil to 1.9mil copies anually.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    Does anyone know how many copies of TS4 sold at release? It's possible with future content and expansions that they will gain new players over the next few years. They might not cap out at 10 million like 3 did, but they could still hit a reasonable sales metric.

Does anyone know how many copies of TS4 sold at release? It's possible with future content and expansions that they will gain new players over the next few years. They might not cap out at 10 million like 3 did, but they could still hit a reasonable sales metric.

I am very much certain that they did not hit the sales that TS3 did, if they had done then we would have known about it :wink:

I mean TS3 was the 'Largest release in PC gaming history of all time' then had TS4 taken that title then we would have at least heard that mentioned?

There were a few titles that TS4 had during release but I shall not mention them here for my own safety...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Glad you confirmed that, now maybe this will be put to rest!
    edited March 2017

No, they don't. EA doesn't release figures like this publicly. It's also very hard to compare using what is publicly available because it counts only non-digital sales, which are widely acknowledged to be on the decline.

Personally I don't give two figs which game sold more on release yadda yadda. It doesn't matter.

Every SimGuru word about the 5M pin was weaselly enough that it could have actually meant 5 million but they weren't allowed to say that. For all the most recent actual statement says, the game could have sold 9 million by now. It could be outselling Sims 3 at the same point but there hasn't been permission to say so. It's all speculation.

But what it isn't is a competition. It really doesn't matter if Sims 3 or Sims 4 sold more, though some people sure seem to thing it does. It doesn't change whether anyone likes the game. It doesn't make one game better than the other, or else McDonalds makes the best hamburgers ever made.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    McDonalds does NOT make the best hamburgers! Huff!
    egTcBMc.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    All I know is........I contribute to the sales of both..Sims and McDonalds :D
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    McDonalds does NOT make the best hamburgers! Huff!

I do have a weakness for their fries, though. And those hot apple pies.

No, they don't. EA doesn't release figures like this publicly. It's also very hard to compare using what is publicly available because it counts only non-digital sales, which are widely acknowledged to be on the decline.

Personally I don't give two figs which game sold more on release yadda yadda. It doesn't matter.

Every SimGuru word about the 5M pin was weaselly enough that it could have actually meant 5 million but they weren't allowed to say that. For all the most recent actual statement says, the game could have sold 9 million by now. It could be outselling Sims 3 at the same point but there hasn't been permission to say so. It's all speculation.

But what it isn't is a competition. It really doesn't matter if Sims 3 or Sims 4 sold more, though some people sure seem to thing it does. It doesn't change whether anyone likes the game. It doesn't make one game better than the other, or else McDonalds makes the best hamburgers ever made.

For a split second I thought that statement was aimed at me! :D

But on a series note, you are right, it is not a competition but I am curious to know how much the sales where before EPs and after them. The same goes for toddlers. Was there a surge in sales in the base game alone as well as EPs?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited March 2017
    Electronic Arts released The Sims 3 to retailers worldwide and available by digital download on June 2, 2009.[6] The sequel, developed by The Sims Studio, was announced by EA in November 2006. The game is set 25 years prior the original game, and features an open, seamless neighborhood, improved tools for sim creation, enhanced build and buy mode functions, and the introduction of wishes and goals. The game also introduces a new form of directed gameplay through small, step-wise goals presented as opportunities which the player may choose to pursue or refuse. The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, making it the largest release in PC gaming history at the time.[7] The game has sold over 10 million copies worldwide since its release.

Also there may or may not be a reason why I highlighted some sentences in italics :blush:

Sims 3 only sold 7.7 million copies on pc. Which is the number you should use to compare, because sims 4 never got a console version.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

So we have figures for 3 and 4 that do not reflect total sales, and cannot put any issue to bed because they are speculative. Well then, there is no discussion to be had, polite or otherwise.

TheSimer wrote: »

Sims 3 only sold 7.7 million copies on pc. Which is the number you should use to compare, because sims 4 never got a console version.

A lot of unrealisable sources on there or 'better sources needed'

In fact I dare say that someone has only just added TS4 to that list.

How do I not know that list has been edited within the last hour?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    If you're around here though, for the love of the Mighty don't get the McDonald's ice cream. Tastes like flea collar. :neutral:
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
    If you're around here though, for the love of the Mighty don't get the McDonald's ice cream. Tastes like flea collar. :neutral:

The coffee's better than Tim's, though, these days.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    With 5M, TS5 could out?
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited March 2017
    TheSimer wrote: »

A lot of unrealisable sources on there or 'better sources needed'

In fact I dare say that someone has only just added TS4 to that list.

How do I not know that list has been edited within the last hour?
    This page was last modified on 17 March 2017, at 11:49.
    I know there's a way to see edit history on Wikipedia, but it's been a long time since I last did that.

Honestly. Why does it matter to you so much which one sold more? Your game is great to you regardless.
    This is the source on Wikipedia that shows that it has 5mil sales:

A tweet of all things from last year that does not say how much the game had sold.

Those sources are unreliable, sorry.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top