Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scaling the Sims 4 to RL

How would you scale the Sims 4 sizes? For example, how many metres, feet,inches, centimetres (whatever unit you choose) would you say ONE grid square is?
Keeping in mind a adult SIM 4 bed is roughly 2 squares, a bit more than the height of a SIM. 
I'm just curious as to what the scaling is, my friend is an architect and designs houses irl and I would love to make some of his designs in game, but in order to do this to scale I need some rough idea of scaling in game vs real life.

I understand that this might not have a 'correct' or right answer I'm just looking for individual takes and opinions or any links to information about this.

Comments

• Options
    WralaiWralai Posts: 477 Member
    Three feet, maybe?
    That'd make sims about five feet tall in rl if we use the bed as measurement.
    170424-CeYy_jT-qip.jpg[IMG][/img]
    Click on the image above to be sent to my legacy, The Galvez Legacy!
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    The scale never quite works out.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    edited March 2017
    Well, let's think logically. A refrigerator takes up 1 game square, give or take. A real life refrigerator is about 30 inches wide (76 cm). So 1 game square should be approximately 30 inches in RL.

With that being said. Sims themselves would be really tall if scaled to RL.
    A bed has 3 square footprint. Which makes it 90 inches long. A sim fills out about 2.5 squares I think. Which would make them about 75 inches (190 cm) tall.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2017
    I try to figure out the room sizes by remembering the amount of grid squares the furniture in game takes up.

Here's an example:

9t3c0k.jpg

I start with the bathrooms first. B/c I know that a tub is two squares, I make that room 2 squares wide. Then I continue around the house from there.

To make sure your house will have no mistakes, add up the sides, This house in total should be 16x12 squares.

Don't know if this makes any sense but I hope that I helped some!
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Well, let's think logically. A refrigerator takes up 1 game square, give or take. A real life refrigerator is about 30 inches wide (76 cm). So 1 game square should be approximately 30 inches in RL.

A bed has 3 square footprint. Which makes it 90 inches long. A sim fills out about 2.5 squares I think. Which would make them about 75 inches (190 cm) tall.

So that would make them about 6-1/4 feet tall. Yikes. Here's where it gets weird - with only four steps from ground to porch, how come the foundation is chest high? Wouldn't that make the foundation at least 4 feet high? (owww - this is a brain throb) - lol
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Jaline33 wrote: »

So that would make them about 6-1/4 feet tall. Yikes. Here's where it gets weird - with only four steps from ground to porch, how come the foundation is chest high? Wouldn't that make the foundation at least 4 feet high? (owww - this is a brain throb) - lol

Pretty tall by American standards but not so tall by, say, Dutch standards. :)
  • Options
    By Canadian standards it's not overly tall, either :wink: - at least, not for guys, and a lot of younger women are quite tall, too. I think I said, "yikes" too soon - it should have come after the outstandingly high foundation part. The only time I have seen such large foundations is if it's a half above/half below basement - and then it has windows. :smile:
  • Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    Well, that's done my head in for the day :smiley:

My bugbear at the moment is the (very large) size of the coffee tables. How big do they need to be?
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    Hahaha - definitely a lot of out-sized objects. I wouldn't mind the coffee tables being so big if they could hold more than 2 things - or 3 if one of them is a box of tissues. :smiley:
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Gurus confirmed 1 tile = 1 square metre on these forums a while back.
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited March 2017
    For building I work on the basis of 1 tile = 1 square metre, but I know that is not really correct according to the size of objects in the game. Even a square yard would be too large, I think. A more accurate scale would be something like 1 tile length = 80cm (about 2' 7.5"), which is the width of a normal door.

By the way, if you look carefully, you will see that even though beds have a three-tile footprint, they are not actually three tiles long, but nearer two-and-a-half tiles. This would make them about 2m (6' 6") long in RL, which is a bit large, but still fairly realistic. The sims themselves are a little shorter than that - about 6'3" or 6'4" in RL, which is fairly tall by any standard, but not remarkably so. Even so, there are many objects in the game that are horribly oversized. The side tables and dining chairs are probably the worst of the lot. No-one I know has 80cm x 80cm side tables, or 60cm x 60cm dining chairs.

Getting back to building, though, I still find it easiest to allow 1 tile per square metre, partly because I am not about to do my head in with complicated conversions when I am following a building plan, but also because sims need more space to move around in than people do in RL. Similarly, when working with measurements of part of a metre, I find it better to err slightly on the side of generosity.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    First, look at what lot sizes you have in your game. What you can use will help you decide how to scale things. I am not including height in my scales, as you can use any wall heights you want on any lot. Look at the smallest one and think 'okay, I must be able to fit all the basics in there and maybe a pool if I get lucky' then look at the biggest one and think 'okay, that one is going to be huge and I will have to fill it with extras', then look at the one you see the most of and think 'okay, that is an average size house.' This may/may not help.

A toilet is one square, but how much of it gets filled depends on the toilet. In real life, toilets tend to be about the same size. So just look at your own toilet and think how big it looks. Two-eight times your toilet's size will probably make a bed, depending on the type of bed. Bare minimum toilet room = 2 squares, 1 toilet and 1 door. If you want a bathroom featuring a toilet, maybe 9 squares is about average. But four square bathrooms are also doable and super fun to make. These examples are to celebrate the first ever item made for The Sims.

(the toilet scale just helps me, okay?)
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    When I'm building from plans, I generally divide feet in half; so if a living room is 12 feet wide by 10 feet deep, it's 6 feet by 5 feet in my Sim house. For really large plans that are mansions, I just cut the measurement down by a third. Any math more advanced than that plums with my head. :p
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I've never been able to follow plans, sims furniture doesn't quite fit and I end up with a different shape than the plans.
    if you succeed I would love to see pics.
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Gurus confirmed 1 tile = 1 square metre on these forums a while back.

A square meter, or square metre, is a unit of area. It is the size of a square that is one meter on a side. It is approximately 10.76 square feet. A square foot is a unit of area.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I use 2.5 feet per square side and have and no issues converting my Victorian era original plans to Victorian sim buildings. For those who have TS1, when laying out a house build mode gives you the square footage. I don't have it running at present so can't test, nor is it certain the square size remained constant, but it would be at least a close estimate.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    I mostly just think of it as
    ''how many of this object I could fit in this size room irl''

like for example how many arm chair would fill out the room or how many stoves or whatever and then use that for tile counts

and if I have outsides of house I usually just try to make it look right from outside by using windows and door for scale

like for example if I have similar window and door in sims I just place those where they belong and then resize the wall to right size visually
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top