Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

XQ Showcase. Latest: The Art of Charm

Comments

• XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Just made and uploaded a new starter. I should post a picture or something, but it seems I have forgotten how to do everything.
    edited March 2020
    Gallery link: Victorian Fixer-upper

fixup.jpg

This was inspired by a house near where I live. The ground floor is slightly more spacious than I usually budget for, and the cost of all the architectural detail is that there's not a lot left over for furniture ... or for much decoration, or for anything more than the most basic wallpaper and flooring. It's definitely a house to grow into, with potential for a lot of improved decoration down the road.

One thing I forgot to mention in the upload is that it's also #nocc and #nomods. I don't think I used anything from outside the base game, either.
    Post edited by Xinqun on
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    Victorian Fixer-upper is a very nice Vctorian style starter home! :) Very nice design of the exterior! The roofing looks very great! The dome windows and open shutter windows look nice in the build. The flowers look pretty along the edges of the front of the home. Nice art area on the front porch for sims to enjoy painting on the easel in the outdoors air.
    The home is very nice :)
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Great roof work again! Looks so cute! :)
    Thanks, @rosemow , @yanti68 . I haven't been able to spend as much time on the Sims lately (I have this book that should be due out around October 2017) but I guess I should try to keep my hand in. I've found that I've forgotten a bunch of things that I know I knew, like how to get in there and take pictures in live mode.

The book features an old-fashioned gentlemen's club (think brandy and cigars) and I've been toying with the idea of asking the Sims community to try modelling it--well, the ground floor, at least. Maybe a contest or something. But I don't know that I have the popular clout to get it much attention.
    Hello :) It is exciting that you are writing a book! It will be very special when it is published.
    You could start a new thread , give details about the club, and ask for sims to create a simversion of it. Simmers enjoy creating bulds based on background descriptions of homes or venues.
    edited March 2017
    Gallery Link: Ophelia Redux.

I knocked down the original Ophelia Villa and rebuilt it ... going a little crazy with terraces and turrets in the process. In spite of all that exotic terracing, though, it's still a "vanilla" build: everything comes from the basic game, and no cheats (not even the non-cheat cheats like sizing and freehand placement) were used. Normally I like a little more variation in colour, too, but I admit I was a little short on creative energy after wrestling with the plan, so I just went automatically to red and black everywhere inside. But people have said that they like it, so why not keep it....

Street view:
    OV2-SE.jpg

More pictures below the cut.
    Back view:
    OV2-NW.jpg

Front left side:
    OV2-SW.jpg

Back right side:
    OV2-NE.jpg

Level One:
    OV2-L1.jpg

Level Two: I moved all three bedrooms to the same floor. The hallway is somewhat more regularly-shaped than the original, which I like.
    OV2-L2.jpg

The attic: I threw in a few activity objects, but honestly, if I were playing, I'd probably never send my sims up here. It's a bit of a climb, after all.
    OV2-L3.jpg
    Post edited by Xinqun on
    Ophelia Redux is a very nice revised version of Ophelia Villa ! :) Very nice exterior of the building! It looks great! The terraces and turrets look so very nice! Very nice roofing! The exterior wall texture gives a great look to the home. It looks very nice the type of and the placement of the windows in the home. The trees, plants and flowers look very nice how they are placed on the edges of the home building! Very nice layout of the interior of the home! It is a good idea to have the three bedrooms on the one level . The red and black colour scheme of the interior looks very nice. The round circular floor rugs add nice touches in the rooms. The bar and music room is very nice! Sims will enjoy sitting on the stools having a drink from the bar and listening to the piano music. The black marble flooring looks very nice. The dining room is very nice ! It looks great that there are may seats on the sides as well as at the ends of the table for sims to enjoy eating meals together.
    The build is a very nice revision of the original home! :)
    Thanks, rosemow! I hope everyone likes it too!
    edited March 2017
    Gallery link: Carolina Breeze

A new build, so soon after the last! This one was inspired by the traditional side porches of Charleston, South Carolina. I went googling for actual plans, but I couldn't find any; but I did find a lot of pictures of that very odd thing they do, where the front door opens directly onto a porch/verandah that runs along the side of the building. I'm told that it's very effective at controlling the heat, so much so that you don't really need an air conditioner.

Street view:
    cb1-sw.jpg

More pictures below the cut.
    Back view:
    cb1-nw.jpg

The verandahs. I figured that this is where Life happens in a house like this. There's no real dining room: what you see there where the verandah juts out, that's the dining space for this house. Also, there's the garden. I pretty much always use up the extra space, when I have it, with a swimming pool, but this time I thought I'd try something different and put a pirate ship jungle gym in the back.
    cb1-w.jpg

A couple of interior shots: the living room and the study.
    cb1-int1.jpg
    cb1-int2.jpg

And the plans. Doubtless, someone with real experience of Charleston's historic architecture will tell me that they don't actually use the verandahs as circulation space, like what I've done here ... but I did grow up in a tropical country where that was done, so I figured it might be possible. That thing with the stair, though, cutting through the house from a verandah on the lower left to another on the upper right ... that was Sudden Inspiration.
    cb1-l1.jpg
    cb1-l2.jpg

(Of course, now that it's been shared to the gallery, I realise that I really should have put a back gate on the garden hedge so sims can easily get to stuff behind the lot ... like the cookout area behind the Cookout Lookout lot in Newcrest where this was built. Ah well. I guess if people want that back gate, they can easily put it in themselves....)
    Post edited by Xinqun on
    edited March 2017
    Carolina Breeze looks very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of the home! The white colour of the exterior looks nice. The way that you have done the stairs in the build looks very creative! Very nice veranda area for sims to enjoy eating meals outdoors in the air. Kids will have fun playing on the pirate ship. The open shutter flower box windows look very pretty in the bulld! The roofing and the way that the roof trimming is used looks very nice! The columns look very nice how they are used in the build. Very nice balconies! Kids will have fun playing with the dollhouse snd teddy! Nice nook area for sims to enjoy doing woodworking on the woodwork table and gardening in the planters. Very nice living room! The brown and yellow colour scheme looks very nice. The wall paneling gives a very nice look to the room. Sims will enjoy sittiing on the sofa or armchair watching tv or reading a book. The scenic wall picture is a nice touch above the door, and the dog sculptures look great placed either sides of the clock on the fireplace ledge. Very nice study room! The pink and brown colour scheme is very nice. Sims will enjoy painting on the easel or sitting at the angked study desk table using the computer. The grandfather clock in the corner nook is homely. The pink patterned floor rug is a nice touch in the room. The layout of the interior of the home looks very nice!
    The home is very nice! :)
    Thanks, @rosemow! It's great that you like it!
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
    Oasis Shades, Spa Romana, Babylon 600BC, Hungarian Farmhouse, 10K Cottage, St Joe Cupertino Church, Crystal Classic, Birchbower Manor, Robinson's Retreat, Victorian Fixer-upper, Ophelia Redux, & Carolina Breeze, are all very amazing and beautifully done dear.
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member

Wow! Like... I don't even.... just.. WOW! Let me just slink back to my corner here and pretend I am a builder.. :p haha!

No but seriously, you are exceptionally talented. You are the kind I watch and think "I hope I can be that good one day". Your homes are so intricate and detailed. I love how true they are to their style. I think my favorite must be Robinson's Retreat, just for being so different.

You are a true inspiration for a novice! <3 For the sake of the community, please keep building, and please keep sharing! :love:
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
    Aw, thanks, @Laebeth . Now I'm blushing. I guess ... we're all learning from each other, aren't we?
    Gallery link: Lady Delilah

I was so pleased with Ophelia Redux that I looked next door and decided to give Parkshore the same treatment. It looked like it wanted to be a Victorian "Painted Lady", so that's what I did ... trying to stay within the parameters of the original build while also updating everything.

And so ... Lady Delilah. The Painted Lady of Willow Creek. So called because I lost more hair over this build than any other before. I'm imagining now that Ophelia and Delilah were twin sisters who went in very different directions with their lives, and someone needs to write that story.

Street view:
    LD3-se.jpg

More images beneath the tag:
    The view from the other corner. This is the secondary approach to the house, from the side-street.
    LD3-sw.jpg

The view from the back, across the back yard. I dispensed with the original patio for a more organic garden feel.
    LD3-n.jpg

The view from the right side of the house.
    LD3-e.jpg

Plan: Level One.
    LD3-L1.jpg

Plan: Level Two.
    LD3-L2.jpg

Interior view: living room.
    LD3-int1.jpg

Interior view: study.
    LD3-int2.jpg

Interior view: children's bedroom. In my head, I had this idea that way back in the 1920s, some kind of Lovecraftian cult used this room as a chapel. The very first night my test family stayed here, both kids were woken up by a Monster Under The Bed. Coincidence? I think not.
    LD3-int3.jpg
    Lady Delilah is a very nice Victorian painted lady home! :) The exterior of the home looks so very pretty! Very nice shades of green used for exterior of the home. The roofing looks very nice! The roof trimming and towers look very nice ! The railings/columns look so very nice how they are used in the build ! The backyard looks very nice! Kids will have fun playing on the monkey bars. The plants, flowers and trees look very nice in the outdoors areas! Nice gardening nook for sims to enjoy growing plants in the gardening boxes. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior the home! The living room looks very nice. It looks nice how the sofas have been angled there, and the patterned floor rug looks nice. The teaset is a homely touch on the coffee table.Sims will enjoy resting on the sofas watching tv in front of the fire. The books look great on the fireplace ledge. The placement of the curtains in the room looks nice. The flowers look pretty placed either sides of the statue on the window table, and the plants are nice touches of nature in the room. The flooring looks great! Very study room! The music and arts wimdow alcove is very nice! Sims will enjoy playing the guitar or painting on the easel with sunshine coming in through the wimdows. The brown wall paneling has a very nice rich feel. Very nice blue and brown colour scheme of the kids bedroom. The wall panelling looks very nice! The teddy is cute! The kids will have fun doing science experiments , and artwork on the activity table in the room.
    It is a very nice home! :)
    Thanks, @rosemow ! It's great to hear about what's working, especially after I've spent so much time worrying about what isn't.
    edited March 2017
    @Xinqun What an amazing update of Parkshore! You took something that was so simple, and made it so much more complex and vibrant. And yes, I did go in game to compare it to the original :p I love the green color scheme of the exterior since it's almost an homage to the original build which is also green (if my eyes do not completely deceive me). The choice of columns and railings has really lifted the facade and taken it to that next level. It was a nice house before, now it's incredible :)

Edit: Spelling mistakes. Cause I'm not English..

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Thanks, @Laebeth ! Now I want to update everything!
    @Xinqun You should! Get crackin'! haha

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

• masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    Lady Delilah is a beautiful name for such a beautiful build :) I love your choice of exterior textures which contrast and work so well together and the interiors are wonderfully classic, yet cosy and warm :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    I'm not even sure which house is Parkshore in game, but one thing's for certain, I will remember Lady Delilah! Gorgeous house, love the colour design on the exterior and the architectural touches, beautiful work! B)
    Thanks, @masajo , @Corwim ! Colour isn't really my strong point, so I'm pleased with how this turned out.
    Gallery link: Ivory Grove

The latest in my series of rebuilds of the original base game mansions: Ivory Grove replaces Cypress Terrace. Hold on to your hats, because this one is going to be especially picture-heavy.

So, what was Cypress Terrace? It was a modern building, three storeys, with a flat roof and a prominent triangular bay window. The living room was a two-storey space, the dining room boasted a bar, and the kitchen included island-counter seating. There was a bedroom suite on the first storey, with an ensuite bathroom; this appeared to conceptualised as a separate entity from the main building, entered via the kitchen; the only access to a vegetable garden was from that downstairs bedroom suite. The second and third storeys each had two bedrooms and a bathroom, but the third storey also had a sort of study/music room for a landing.

I went to a more classic modernist look, sort of "International Style"-ish, though I'm not sure how well Le Corbusier et al would approve of the very tall windows. I also pulled the first-storey bedroom suite away from the main building (it was asking for it!) and extended the colonnade all the way through, past the vegetable garden, to create a sort of breezeway access. (It's not a proper breezeway, I think, since the building extends over it to connect with the roof of the first-storey bedroom suite; but it feels like it is!)

And of course, there were other changes in the plan....

A street view, at night:
    ig01a.jpg

And another one, by day:
    ig03b.jpg

More exterior shots below the cut:
    ig02a.jpg

ig04b.jpg

A shot down the almost-breezeway, with a glimpse of the vegetable garden.
    ig20b.jpg

The patio, by night....
    ig21a.jpg

...and by day. The original Cypress Terrace had a sort of sunken garden in the middle of the back patio, which I replaced with a pool. Pools weren't possible when the original Cypress Terrace was built, and I felt that this was what the building really wanted.
    ig21b.jpg

The plans:
    First storey: I moved the dining room into the back of the building, as I felt the kitchen would be ridiculously oversized otherwise. The bar remained in the front space, though, and I made that into a playroom instead.
    ig31a.jpg

Second storey: we've lost the gallery overlooking the living room, but I think this arrangement is more efficient for the sims living here.
    ig32a.jpg

Third storey:
    ig33a.jpg

And a whole lot of interior shots:
    The kitchen and dining area. Only the best appliances the base game has to offer for this kitchen!
    ig11a.jpg

The playroom:
    ig12a.jpg

A view of the living room from below....
    ig13a.jpg

...and another from the stair landing above.
    ig14a.jpg

The upstairs activity room:
    ig15a.jpg

Just because it's modernist architecture doesn't mean everything has to be sleekly modern or futuristic in design. Against the starkly white background, a few ornately carved elements really stand out.
    ig16a.jpg

Likewise, if we're going to a rough, "world explorer" vibe. That first-storey bedroom suite is essentially a guesthouse, and guests are travellers by definition.
    ig17a.jpg

And there we have it. My Cypress Terrace rebuild. I've made it completely compatible with the base game, since the original Cypress Terrace obviously was as well. The idea here, as with Ophelia Redux and Lady Delilah, is that a total newbie should be able to download the build and plonk it in place without having to pick up any of the packs or learn the intricacies of MOO. It's a bit of a self-imposed limit, I guess, but I'm actually finding it not all that difficult after all.