Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For how long do you usually play one family? Are you always "attached"?

Comments

• Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited March 2017
    I’m a rotational player, so I have a minimum of 15 households that I play but only one save-game. I’m extremely attached to some of my sims, but not all. Others I could easily delete and do.
    Unless they're related to my first three sims 'elite', my legacy family 'royalty' or the premades it's almost impossible for me to become attached to a sim.
    Because I couldn’t bear to lose my ‘special’ sims, I disable aging and if I lost my game I would spend weeks tirelessly re-creating those sims. (I’ve done this before)
    Post edited by dreamprisoner on
  • Options
    Big_Boy_Bmw760LiBig_Boy_Bmw760Li Posts: 93 Member
    I like the way I really created my household. I will just add and remove people if when I create a better character.
  • Options
    gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    I have one family that I play rotationaly now that it has multiple generations and households. I get kind of attached - I'm only on generation 4 & I've been playing this save file for two years! I turn aging off a lot.
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • Options
    SimsAddiction968SimsAddiction968 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I'm still playing the 1st sim I made with 4. Una Four has lived through 3 husbands, had 6 kids with the youngest 2 being twin girls. Her oldest has a family of his own and lives in another town. I haven't played him since he moved out. The next 2 children were girls then another son. They have all moved out since the twins were born.

She has most skills maxed. Been through several careers.

I just can't part with her.
    HI! My name is SimsAddiction968
    I discovered Sims 1 summer 2001 when my youngest was 1 yr old.
    I bought all Eps & Sps for Sims 2 as they were released.
    I even bought Sims games for our consoles and handhelds.
    I have bought all Sims 3 Eps & Sps as the were released.
    I have held my grandson while playing. He is now 5 and plays FreePlay.
    I have pre ordered Sims 4. I have the Sims 2 mouse and waiting on Sims 4 mouse.
    I have a Freezer Bunny tattoo and a bracelet tattoo of the Sims 2 aspirations.

YES! I am addicted to The Sims no matter the form.
  • Options
    emokitten2768emokitten2768 Posts: 29 Member
    I have such bad OCD, that everytime i get on the sims 4 i end up deleting the sim and starting over. i think the longest i have played with a sim is like about 3 weeks lol im pretty bad when it comes to playing the sims yet i love it. i remember in the sims 2 when you couldnt just delete a save you actually had to uninstall all the packs and reinstall them. i would reinstall like everying couple days. dont judge me judge my OCD lol
  • Options
    paige_emilyypaige_emilyy Posts: 104 Member
    I play the same family until I think of a new storyline or want to start over. Once I want a change i'll save them to my library and delete the save.
  • Options
    AnonymouselisaAnonymouselisa Posts: 5 New Member
    When I thought about it I realised that I've been playing my household for over a year now. I'm on generation three.

I created the household when I was in Vietnam for an internship (I live in Belgium) and me and my boyfriend couldn't see each other for three months. So I created us and whenever I missed my boyfriend I played the sims. I got so attached to those sims and their kids that I kept on playing them until today!
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    I find that I don't get attached to the sims themselves unless they are based on people I know. As for my other sims, I get more attached to their story than anything else. If I have interesting experiences with them and something about them appeals to me story wise, I will play them on and off until I complete their story's goals.

For example, I have a sim who is a hopeless romantic that's looking for her one true love, however she has terrible taste in partners. So her story consists of dating a lot of Mr. Wrongs and the drama that goes along with it. Her first go at the dating game resulted in a relationship with an evil sim who she tried to change. She asked him to move in, and he rejected, which crushed her and led to the end of their relationship. Now she has a live in boyfriend who is a lazy mooch; no job, no skills, just bums around her house in his boxers pigging out on popcorn and and constantly hogging the computer.

Will she accidentally end up pregnant with the moocher's baby? Will he cheat on her while she's working hard on her career? Will she fall for a co-worker and break things off with the mooch before he has a chance to cause much trouble? I haven't decided yet, but that's part of the allure. I'm attached to her because her story is interesting and I could take it many different directions. That's where the attachment lies, in general, for me. It's not so much the sims themselves, rather the story they inspire me to tell and seeing it through to resolution.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I try the longest I can but after 4-5 generations that save is too buggy I can't stand it.
    the truth is that my poopy laptop can't handle it
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    PoKiTauru5 wrote: »
    I rotate a bunch of families. I take things very slowly, currently on my 4th gen with one family.

Houses on the other hand, oh got I change them more often than my sims change clothes lol

Except I'm on gen 3. <3

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    TraarjoTraarjo Posts: 65 Member
    I usually play for two-three generations (right now I have on long lifespan, so I've played them for a looong time), but after that I feel like I have too many sims, so I want to have a fresh start. Usually I delete the save file, but I've put a lot of time and work into my current world, so I think I'm just gonna let my current family die off and make a new one
  • Options
    ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    I think I tend to go 6-8 months with one family (I play with aging on, so technically it's generations of the same family). I do get attached until I get close to generation 10 because things get stale... I just started an ISBI challenge to liven things up since I'm such a control freak and I was super attached to the spouse (that I couldn't control) because he was so sweet and helpful until their son arrived... Ever since then, he's been a bad husband and parent so my boy has had to been father of the year for both of them lol
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I usually play a single sim, but with Toddlers out, it is a single mom and toddler :D I can't handle big families!

I have never made it past raising a few kids to teens. Always end it when they become teens. I like to fill my neighborhood with my sims so I rotate them but seldom go back to them when I get them started. I end up deleting the world and starting over. I have been like that even in S3. I have fun and enjoy the game, that is just how I play it!

I do have one sim I made that I seem to really like. She has to go in every game. I am thinking of "trying" to start at the beginning and have her find someone and have a family and try the generation thing. That is a game I will have to save and keep going back to though. Don't think I could possibly keep playing that thru out without wanting to start over new again.

What is good traits to have? I try family oriented, genius, neat and give her the business asp (I like the Dr. Career). She seems unlucky when it comes to love, not so smart after all, LOL
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Mostly. My first attempt at a family didn't go so well, so I made Julia and Jon instead! They looked slightly different though. Julia had no makeup on and Jon had different hair. I've remade those two so many times, I've lost count! Honestly, one of the reasons I made Julia was because I wanted her to be a vampire and I got my wish!

Recently, I started playing another couple. I'm not as obsessed with them as the other two, but they still make a pretty cute couple!
  • Options
    NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    There are a select few that I play. I like to take turns on my favorite families, most of whom I've purposely bred and designed their house to my liking. The other families are ones that I've played to reproduce for potential heirs. I also edited their traits. I love cas.fulleditmode
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I tend to flip around between my many families, while creating new Sims wherever I have a need, or get an idea for a certain type of Sim.

I will generally play one family until I either get bored and move on, or get distracted by a different household and swap over.

What often happens is that I will decide my current household needs a new friend or love interest that can't be found in my game, so I pop into CAS to create a new household, and I end up enamored by my new household and end up switching to them.

I am rather fickle towards my Sims, but that is mostly because I like a game filled with my own creations, and I don't have time to play them all.

At the same time I have certain families I get attached to, and those are the ones who I end up returning to often and end up marrying into when possible.
  • Options
    CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    The more I play a family the more attached I get. I'm a rotational player but there are certain families I play with more but when my computer crashed and I had to restart it, they were gone. :disappointed: even when I remade them, it didn't feel the same.. I couldn't play them anymore

I I don't know if its attachment, but I do get invested in certain sim stories
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Options
    BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    My sim just gave birth to the 4th generation. This is the longest I've gotten with my family tree in Sims 4.
    I remember I could go on forever in Sims 3, back when I was young and creative. Rofl.

I'm getting rather attached to this family though.
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I've been playing with some of my Sims since TS1, so yeah, I get pretty attached! But I do have randoms if I just want to play around with something I wouldn't normally use: I usually get bored of those and forget about them, but I do sometimes keep them or remake them if I find myself growing attached. I quite like the pre-mades too at the moment.

I think that playing with sims I've had for a long time means they feel more alive to me, their personalities are more in-depth. I know all their background stories, and where they'll end up in the future. So every little thing has a place in the greater scheme of things and means more to me. Like if my active Sims future true love or bitter enemy is dining at the same restaurant, it's more exciting to me to see if they happen to meet without my direction.

I know it feels very different when I play with my main Sims than it does with a random. I get much more emotionally involved. Like finding a lost episode of your favourite long-running TV show.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    When I play The Sims, I usually stay with one family throughout the whole time. I keep playing until I just get bored with the overall game. I start with a couple and then make them have kids. And if I'm still interested in the game by the time their kids are young adults/adults, I ultimately choose one of the kids to continue playing (usually the youngest, but not always). And then the cycle continues until I get bored. The furthest I've made in the game was to the 3rd generation having a baby... and that was Sims 3.

The Sims isn't a game I can just play whenever I want. It's a game I binge on for days or weeks (it just depends) and then hold off for a few months... and then get back on again. I usually cycle through Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sim 4. When I get bored of one, I'm usually able to go to another and play that one for awhile. And then jump to another when I'm bored again. So at least I don't just play The Sims in general like once a year for a couple weeks. I usually cycle through 2, 3, and 4. That's the advantage of them all having different features, content, packs, etc.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    KittensMeow10KittensMeow10 Posts: 161 Member
    edited March 2017
    I play mostly with my main household which I've had for quiet a while. I play on normal lifespan, though I have mccc and might make the toddler stage just a little longer. My 7th generation sim is a toddler right now!

I was always super attached to my sims 3 sims, and never had one die or move out, but I haven't had that issue in the sims 4.
  • Options
    FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    I play them out then I play them again with an alternative every time like the first time they are brokea$$, the second they are rich,the third they are all fat and about the fourth time I have not reached yet but they live frozen and ready to play in my library
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I move my favourite couple from one generation of sims games to the next - they've been with me since the sims 2. I also pick up new sims along the way - those of which I come to favour will move across into the sims 5 when the time comes. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    I try the longest I can but after 4-5 generations that save is too buggy I can't stand it.
    the truth is that my poopy laptop can't handle it

I don't think you need a poopy laptop to have this problem. I've heard a professional youtuber complain about the same thing, and I reckon he has a pretty decent system. I like to stick to one family line of sims, so the way I solve it is I transfer all my sims to a brand new save every 5 generations or so. They lose their family tree that way, but I'm not too bothered by that. There is no way I could have played 12 generations in one save.
  • Options
    kellzakellza Posts: 197 Member
    I play with one household in each save (have had two since the game came out) and I'll 'help out' those friends or family that go off on their own since we have no story progression. They'll come to live with my family while I find them a partner or start a family of their own... or I'll use CAS to add children for singles. I like my fam to have cousins/family friends they grow up with.