Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the point of a dresser?

Other than to change your Sim's clothing, I don't see why we need a dresser to change clothes. They don't even open any of the drawers before doing so. Might as well buy a big closet from GT if you want to plan outfits, because at least there's animation of going INTO the closet. Drawers are just a waste of space, in my opinion.
Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]

Comments

• Options
    trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    It's like the clutter option in the game, in my opinion. There for aesthetics; decoration really.
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    You can put stuff on it. You can't do that with a closet.
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I never have paid attention to dresser animations, but they opened in Sims 3, I know that. I remember sims falling over from pulling them open! :)
  • Options
    simmerlilly87simmerlilly87 Posts: 195 Member
    I agree with @asesina they are mostly there for decoration... but you can put clutter on them to make it seem more "realistic". I don't use them in my game but I do put them in my house builds.
    Origin Id: SimmerLilly87
    My Showcase Thread
    My Gallery: SimmerLilly87
    96rsyJ5.jpg
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    They are a hold over from previous games, where they were used to access CAS. Now they are mostly decorative, there to fill in the empty space in bedrooms.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited March 2017
    I hardly use them anymore since you can change clothes with mirrors. It opens CAS just the same. I only use walk-in closets in my builds but that's... for other purposes. :D
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I use dressers to fill in for other furniture that we don't have. Sometimes the dresser just looks good in a hallway or even a dinning room.
  • Options
    LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    I only used them to put stuff on them to make the house worth more also too I guess, other than that there really is no point.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I still like and use them. They complete the look of a bedroom, and I still send Sims to them to 'plan outfit' or 'change outfit' because it's part of the immersion for me. I do sometimes change outfit on the Sim directly, but usually this is when they're out and about and I need a quick change. If I want to change make-up, I tend to do it on the vanity now. I use mirrors for freshening up, brushing teeth and practising speeches.

I don't see the drawer animation as a big deal, although it would be nice to have.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Right I still use them, same as the armories, make the husband change outfits out of the armorie, and the wife tends to use the bureau but they both share the closet.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I tend to leave them out of my builds in game unless the family has money to burn. I always have a mirror though because they are cheap, have all the same interactions and more on top.

Like @Dannydanbo said though, they often get used for other things, like filling alcoves below shelves, or as sideboards in dining rooms - great for party food.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    I think the closet + accent table combo is better. Place to change clothes and space to put clutter, and there are more options for accent tables
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I use them to complete the look in a bedroom, but when I'm playing a tiny house or apartment I don't bother. I really miss the dresser animations from TS2, especially when the dresser drawer got stuck. Very relateable.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I really only use them as decoration. They make my Sims' bedrooms seem more complete. Not to mention, they're good clutter-holders.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I typically don't bother with Dressers for starters.
    Latrer on I get them...mostly to fill empty spcae, but moreso to open up my lighting options.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited March 2017
    I do use them for the Plan Outfit options, especially after a Sim ages up. To me, dressers add a bit of realism, as well as a good place to put things (either decor/clutter or a radio -- I'll usually give my teens one of the tabletop stereos since I had a radio in my room as a teen).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Makes more sense to get to CAS through a dresser than a mirror, imo.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I use them. I do miss the drawer-pull mishaps that could occur in the older versions of the game. But what bedroom would be complete without a dresser? And who doesn't put items on the dresser, such as books, perfume, what not?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    i see what you're saying. i usually use it as a decorative item tho & i like to put things on it/clutter.
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I haven't used a dresser in ages to change my sims clothing. I just use CAS. They are just an object to help complete the look and feel of a room. Also to put things on to complete the appeal of the room.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I like putting decoration and lights on them, so they aren't useless to make the room look nice. I don't like putting ceiling lights in bedrooms, and putting a light on the night table and another on the dresser on the other side on the room lights the room just fine this way.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I commonly use dressers in my houses as a point to use the "Plan Outfits" command. Yes, there are other things you can use for that, but I don't see that as making dressers obsolete or anything. Depends on what you want in your house, I guess. Options are good. (And dressers were in-game from the start -- closets are DLC. Not sure if mirrors could always do as much as they do now.)
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I have used them for sideboards in the dining room if I'm looking for a more traditional type dining room.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Oh the good old Sims 2 days when they opened a drawer, and then span around to change next to the drawer. *sigh* Id' love to have that back.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Oh the good old Sims 2 days when they opened a drawer, and then span around to change next to the drawer. *sigh* Id' love to have that back.

Speaking of drawers, I loved the hip-bump closing of kitchen drawers. I miss that!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top