Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the best computer for Sims 4 and other gaming?

Comments

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    JSimmy wrote: »
    @chesterbigbird Hmm I'm thinking no more than $100 really, possible leeway but I'm not looking to spend anywhere towards $200. I saw a AOC ($99) and Samsung($82) . Online they got great reviews. Although I'm not really familiar with the AOC brands. Arghh shopping for a PC is exhausting!!
    To be honest i would probably spend i tiny bit extra and get an Asus
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-widescreen-led-monitor-black/3706239.p?skuId=3706239
    If this were not sold out i would suggest it
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/benq-gw-series-21-5-led-hd-monitor-black/5090910.p?skuId=5090910 (great monitor.)
    AOC is just a standard budget monitor.. nothing special. But not terrible.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
    @chesterbigbird Is there a reason you would recommend the Asus? What about (Dell - S2415H 23.8" IPS LED HD Monitor - Black
    Model: 3R3XN SKU: 8544005)? Or HP - 22es 21.5" IPS LED FHD Monitor - Natural silver
    Model: T3M70AA#ABA SKU: 5588520? You can type in the Sku and those will come up on Best Buy
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    @chesterbigbird Is there a reason you would recommend the Asus? What about (Dell - S2415H 23.8" IPS LED HD Monitor - Black
    Model: 3R3XN SKU: 8544005)? Or HP - 22es 21.5" IPS LED FHD Monitor - Natural silver
    Model: T3M70AA#ABA SKU: 5588520? You can type in the Sku and those will come up on Best Buy

Just going to put a good word in for Dell here. The Dells I've had have had better colour rendition and stability than my Samsungs or Acers have had. (I can't recall owning an Asus offhand, but it might just have migrated to someone else's desk.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Just going to put a good word in for Dell here. The Dells I've had have had better colour rendition and stability than my Samsungs or Acers have had. (I can't recall owning an Asus offhand, but it might just have migrated to someone else's desk.)

Was going to post dell, However they are more expensive :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Well i was trying to give you something cheaper LOL.
    Dell and Asus are most likely the best brands. I dont recommend Samsung (have had bad experience with them.) and HP isn't as good.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I've purchased two Asus monitors in the past 4 years. Best monitors I have ever owned. I have no shame in recommending this brand.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @chesterbigbird @luthienrising @Simasaurus09 Thanks so much guys! I'm gonna go with the Dell most likely then. Especially the one I was looking at has speakers built in which is pretty good! Again thank you so much!
    @chesterbigbird @luthienrising @Simasaurus09 Thanks so much guys! I'm gonna go with the Dell most likely then. Especially the one I was looking at has speakers built in which is pretty good! Again thank you so much!

Your welcome
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Oops! That model went off sale and back to $219. The Dell s2316m though is $129 which is still a good price! They both look the same and more to my budget! Thanks again guys!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Oops! That model went off sale and back to $219. The Dell s2316m though is $129 which is still a good price! They both look the same and more to my budget! Thanks again guys!

Use amazon they are cheaper than best buy for monitors https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS228H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1488710221&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+monitor
  • crisv3003crisv3003 Posts: 85 Member
    crisv3003 wrote: »
    Cities Skylines likes CPU power, and your Sims game will benefit from that too.

If you don't take your computer to school much @crisv3003 you might do better with a good desktop system (which saves you money later, as you upgrade just parts as needed) and a cheap, lightweight laptop for schoolwork - or just switch to taking lecture notes by hand and copying them out if needed later.

Yeah, what you think about built computers?

Where I live, a custom desktop computer is generally the best value you can get. You don't have to build it yourself - you can pay a company to do that part for you. (In my family, some of us are happy to do our own putting-parts-together, others not so confident about it.) On these forums, @chesterbigbird is particularly good at helping people order custom desktop computers - just let her know where you are and what your budget is, and whether you already have a monitor and keyboard. (Many people do have those to use with laptops.)
    yeah i understand that, i live in Sweden where its easier to get stuff but its very expensive xD do you know any costa rican sites that sells PC/laptops? maybe i could find one, though im not good with desktops

Better not to waste your time with that. But thank you. I bougth my actual laptop on august 2014, but its a very low end (http://support.hp.com/bo-es/document/c04083857) , I can barely play so even a PC with the recomended specs is a great improvement.. But at the yesterday one side of the screen that links it to the CPU got broken and cant be fixed without spending like 120$, anyway I still can use it. But I receive the good news that my grandma is gonna lend me the money :D

It will be hard to find a computer in Costa Rica. I just went looking. Just to buy hardware parts to build yourself that meet requirements for this game are very high. AMD is usually cheaper than intel. Just to get an AMD 8000 cpu is close to $500 http://www.tecuncr.com/computadoras-amd/163-cpu-8-core-fx-8350-40ghz-125w-am3-black-edition.html

To get 4000 seried intel i5 is a little cheaper but still over $400 http://www.tecuncr.com/computadoras-intel-/11-cpu-core-i5-4440-31ghz-.html

Hello, I went to take a look at stores both in my city and the capital of the country. You were right. I just saw like 3 AMD laptops, most of them where Intel, I look for icore 3 (whether is not recommended) and icore5, but almost all of them with Intel grapchics HD 550 o 5500, and as far I know Skylines doesn't support Intel graphics. I don't know what to do because you have a PC with lot of RAM, proccesor and poor graphics, never 3 good things, and the prices were high for my budget ($800-1000$, mines under that), so after I go to Wallmart and Pricesmart to see what's there since they are not local stores. If not I should put my standars to min requierements :(
    Happy Simming! :D
    Cities Skylines likes CPU power, and your Sims game will benefit from that too.

If you don't take your computer to school much @crisv3003 you might do better with a good desktop system (which saves you money later, as you upgrade just parts as needed) and a cheap, lightweight laptop for schoolwork - or just switch to taking lecture notes by hand and copying them out if needed later.

Yeah, what you think about built computers?

Where I live, a custom desktop computer is generally the best value you can get. You don't have to build it yourself - you can pay a company to do that part for you. (In my family, some of us are happy to do our own putting-parts-together, others not so confident about it.) On these forums, @chesterbigbird is particularly good at helping people order custom desktop computers - just let her know where you are and what your budget is, and whether you already have a monitor and keyboard. (Many people do have those to use with laptops.)
    yeah i understand that, i live in Sweden where its easier to get stuff but its very expensive xD do you know any costa rican sites that sells PC/laptops? maybe i could find one, though im not good with desktops

Better not to waste your time with that. But thank you. I bougth my actual laptop on august 2014, but its a very low end (http://support.hp.com/bo-es/document/c04083857) , I can barely play so even a PC with the recomended specs is a great improvement.. But at the yesterday one side of the screen that links it to the CPU got broken and cant be fixed without spending like 120$, anyway I still can use it. But I receive the good news that my grandma is gonna lend me the money :D

It will be hard to find a computer in Costa Rica. I just went looking. Just to buy hardware parts to build yourself that meet requirements for this game are very high. AMD is usually cheaper than intel. Just to get an AMD 8000 cpu is close to $500 http://www.tecuncr.com/computadoras-amd/163-cpu-8-core-fx-8350-40ghz-125w-am3-black-edition.html

To get 4000 seried intel i5 is a little cheaper but still over $400 http://www.tecuncr.com/computadoras-intel-/11-cpu-core-i5-4440-31ghz-.html

Hello, I went to take a look at stores both in my city and the capital of the country. You were right. I just saw like 3 AMD laptops, most of them where Intel, I look for icore 3 (whether is not recommended) and icore5, but almost all of them with Intel grapchics HD 550 o 5500, and as far I know Skylines doesn't support Intel graphics. I don't know what to do because you have a PC with lot of RAM, proccesor and poor graphics, never 3 good things, and the prices were high for my budget ($800-1000$, mines under that), so after I go to Wallmart and Pricesmart to see what's there since they are not local stores. If not I should put my standars to min requierements :(

Are you looking at a laptop? Laptops can not be upgraded when it comes to processor or video card. Laptops are also weaker than desktop. With laptop you don't want AMD . AMD heats up more and is better suited for desktop. You need Nvidia higher end cards on laptop and an i7 quad core processor. These kinds of laptops can be very expensive. More so than desktop. When I posted those links even your desktop hardware is very expensive compared to the USA. City Skylines is more powerful than the sims. You would need a good gaming desktop. I would not play city skylines on a laptop.

• shu_ana22shu_ana22 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey everyone!

Soo... I'm a newbie here, and I just want to know, can I play the sims 4 with all of the expansion stuffs with my computer specs?
    And yes, my desktop is old.

So, I might be needing some upgrading recommendations from you guys, :smile:

Here are the specs:

System Information
    Time of this report: 3/13/2017, 21:29:17
    Machine name: CENCEN
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.160119-0600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Page File: 2347MB used, 851MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    @shu_ana22 Keep going with the rest! It takes several posts, but that's ok. (That said, it's looking a lot already like your computer is below the game's minimum requirements)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    shu_ana22 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Soo... I'm a newbie here, and I just want to know, can I play the sims 4 with all of the expansion stuffs with my computer specs?
    And yes, my desktop is old.

So, I might be needing some upgrading recommendations from you guys, :smile:

Here are the specs:

System Information
    Time of this report: 3/13/2017, 21:29:17
    Machine name: CENCEN
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.160119-0600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Page File: 2347MB used, 851MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows

Your missing the video card. Yes this computer is old and probably not worth upgrading if it can even be upgraded. You only have a dual core cpu. The game requires a quad core. You don't have enough ram to run the game. You would need at least a new CPU more ram, possibly a new motherboard and a new video card. You would be better off buying a new computer that meets requirements to run the game
  • shu_ana22shu_ana22 Posts: 2 New Member
    @luthienrising @phoebebebe13

Well then, thanks for the opinions ya'll :smiley: I'm thinking about saving some money to buy a new pc :blush: it may take awhile but i bet the results would be worth it :lol:
    edited March 2017
    shu_ana22 wrote: »
    @luthienrising @phoebebebe13

Well then, thanks for the opinions ya'll :smiley: I'm thinking about saving some money to buy a new pc :blush: it may take awhile but i bet the results would be worth it :lol:

Your welcome. That would be a good idea. If you need help picking out a new computer we can help you find something that will meet requirements when your ready.
  • pdentpdent Posts: 15 Member
    Potentially really stupid question given it's basically a tablet but has anyone tried to run Sims 4 on the Windows Surface Pro 4 1tb/i7? I want one for other reasons and feel toying with my love of Sims....

Can't post the link because it seems I'm still too "new"
    edited March 2017
    pdent wrote: »
    Potentially really plum question given it's basically a tablet but has anyone tried to run Sims 4 on the Windows Surface Pro 4 1tb/i7? I want one for other reasons and feel toying with my love of Sims....

Link here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d/surface-pro-4/8vv4n8vbqg7c/5JG7

It's integrated graphics, which means you're going to struggle. It's not designed for gaming. I wouldn't risk the $$$ you spend for one by playing Sims 3 or 4 on it. I'm not seeing full specs so can't tell if the graphics meet minimum requirements, and integrated-graphics struggle with the game even when they do.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I have got an Asus republic of gamers, this PC is perfect, i play in ultra on TS4. :wink:
    Lu4ERme.gif
    pdent wrote: »
    Potentially really plum question given it's basically a tablet but has anyone tried to run Sims 4 on the Windows Surface Pro 4 1tb/i7? I want one for other reasons and feel toying with my love of Sims....

Link here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d/surface-pro-4/8vv4n8vbqg7c/5JG7

It's integrated graphics, which means you're going to struggle. It's not designed for gaming. I wouldn't risk the $$$ you spend for one by playing Sims 3 or 4 on it. I'm not seeing full specs so can't tell if the graphics meet minimum requirements, and integrated-graphics struggle with the game even when they do.

these most certainly are not meant to run 3d games and there is no cooling
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    This is more a general computer question than a which computer should I buy as I am not purchasing one till next month. I have been reading recommendations to other people, and the benefits of getting a Desktop. I'm not sure if I can or want a desktop. But I did want to know is it realistic to think a $1,100-1,300 USD laptop will handle the sims 4 with all EPs, GPs, and SPs?

Thanks to anyone who answers this question as it will help my internal desktop vs laptop debate.
  • koalasimskoalasims Posts: 76 Member
    Hi @Evilyn_1007! Desktops are better if don't need the portability of course. You can get more memory and better graphics capability for cheaper and it's easier to upgrade it as more CPU/GPU intensive games come out. The laptops that are marketed as "gaming laptops" are really expensive and the only way you can get them for under 1,300 USD is usually if they're refurbished. It is possible to get a laptop around that price that can handle Sims 4 with all EPs, GPs and SPs but probably not on ultra settings. It'll depend on the laptops specs. You really need to dig deep and look at storage and make sure there's a decent dedicated graphics card. If you're willing to go with refurbished, you'll open a lot more doors in terms of affordable devices. I hope you find what you're looking for!
    This is more a general computer question than a which computer should I buy as I am not purchasing one till next month. I have been reading recommendations to other people, and the benefits of getting a Desktop. I'm not sure if I can or want a desktop. But I did want to know is it realistic to think a $1,100-1,300 USD laptop will handle the sims 4 with all EPs, GPs, and SPs?

Thanks to anyone who answers this question as it will help my internal desktop vs laptop debate.

It depends on what laptops will cost a month from now. Prices change and new hardware is always being issued. What is available now may not be available next month. Average price for a laptop is $900 and up. It depends on if you want a laptop that meets recommended requirements on desktop or you want an even more powerful laptop than what is required on desktop. Yes desktop is better, it's more powerful and some can be upgraded if you buy a desktop that has a good roomy case and hardware that can be upgraded. Laptop you are stuck with the specs you buy as far as video card and processor.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    @koalasims and @phoebebebe13

Thanks for the responses. I for sure would not buy refurbish but I don't expect to be able to play with ultra setting. You have given me some things to think about. I think I am just going to wait to see what is available at the time of purchase to make my decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top