The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any genetics at all?

I've heard complaints that there aren't genetics like there are in Sims 2... for example passing on dominant traits, blending of skin tones...
Are there any characteristics passed on when a Sim has a child? Like eye colour and hair colour or traits??

Comments

• BB_GunnBB_Gunn Posts: 162 New Member
    edited November 2009
    At first, with the retail version of the game (v1.0), it was all OK. But after the patches started coming up, my game has lost any ability of managing genetics.

Eye colours are totally random (two brown eyed parents can have blue eyed kids).
    Hair colours are sometimes random (black and red haired parents can have blonde kids).
    Skin tones are "locked" (the kid will have either the mother's or the father's skin tone, never at all anything in between).

I've just installed and tested the latest patch (v1.6) and the genetics are still screwed up. :(:(:(
  • grace2006grace2006 Posts: 291 New Member
    edited November 2009
    The random hair and eye colours really annoy me. For instance, one of my sims just had twins, and one twin had blue eyes. The parents are ********** (mom) and green-eyed (dad). I hate that the skintones are locked, too. I hope EA addresses this issue, because teh genetics were way better in TS2
  • DalexDalex Posts: 353 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Genetics seem fine to me.

All my kids have various facial features from each parent Eg chin shape, cheek height etc.

They've always had an eye or hair colour two. As for skin onte if you pay attention they take the slider position (eg darkness) and actualy palette colour separately. So a dark skinned black guy and a light skinned pinky white girl can have a light skinned black baby.

Also people saying about two black heads having a blonde or two browns eyes having blue eyed. That IS genetics.

Blonde and blue eyes are recessive genes.
    So if both patterns chromosomes had black hair - blonde hair
    brown eye - blue eye

They parents would have black hair, brown eyes. If however they both happened to pass on the blonde hair gene and the blue eye gene the kid would get
    blonde - blonde
    blue - blue

allowing the recessive gene to show through.
    edited November 2009
    I've tried out many tests with sims created specifically for these, it's always the same thing genetics don't work in my game.
    Dalex wrote:
    Genetics seem fine to me.
    I bet they do.
  • sunshinetwosunshinetwo Posts: 204 Member
    edited November 2009
    grace2006 wrote:
    The random hair and eye colours really annoy me. For instance, one of my sims just had twins, and one twin had blue eyes. The parents are ********** (mom) and green-eyed (dad). I hate that the skintones are locked, too. I hope EA addresses this issue, because teh genetics were way better in TS2

did they block out brown eye?

LOL if so.
  • Porcelain21Porcelain21 Posts: 111 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Genetics work fine on my game. Actually, the girl in my avatar is a byproduct of Jon Lessen from Riverview and my Angelina Jolie character...I think my avatar looks like them both. The only thing that bothers me about genetics is when I have twins and they don't look identical. I guess it's very realistic but it bothers me that there are so many more fraternal twins than identical ones.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited November 2009
    my genetics seem to work ok, altho i agree there should be some variation in the skin tones. i want a mocha baby if i have a dark sim and a light sim breed. its just wierd to have all light or all dark kids with a mixed couple.

but so far thats the only problem i have had with the genetics ( i agree with the twins thing, i want identical twins or having twins isnt any fun)
  • palesunflowerpalesunflower Posts: 169 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I'm also not having a problem with genetics in my game. Perhaps you're just experiencing a string of higher-than-normal recessive genes?

The Prima Guide covers genetics, and mentions that there will be a blend of characteristics from each parent (as Dalex covered above) but that there is also a small chance that a seemingly "random" characteristic (like your blue eyes, grace2006) will show up.

This is true in real life as well.
  • cantapoupecantapoupe Posts: 2,188 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I've heard (but never experienced) that if you make two sims with the different shades of the same skin tone (which means the same one of the three natural tones in CAS) that the children will be able to have a mixed outcome. But if you use two different ones, even if they're both natural, you'll get stuck with one or the other. This is just what heard though. From what I've seen (ie Berrypie's legacy with 2 blue sims) it doesn't work... But I haven't tried. No idea.
  • Patty_BoodPatty_Bood Posts: 1,077 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I just put up a post about this. I felt that the genetics for bi racial families especially were bad in the game. I got awesome mod to get a better blend of skin tone and I think it works well.
  • TheUnknownSoulTusTheUnknownSoulTus Posts: 385 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Thats how genetics work in the REAL WORLD

Two brown eyed parents can have a blue eyed kid, if they both carry an allele for blue eyes. I doubt its that complicated in Sims 3, seeing as you can have a sim with pink hair and purple eyes, and idk how that'd work in real genetics, but I think that's where the 'random' colors and features come from

I do with I could dye my sims hair without it magically becoming genetic though :P
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited November 2009
    In Real World genetics the darker color is the more dominant. That's why two brown eyed people can have children with blue eyes, but two blue eyed people cannot have children with brown eyes. From what I hear s3 genetics have 10% chance of random dna which I think is a complete shame because s2 genetics are so dead on to what dna is really like that my science professor was actually very impressed with how they worked.

I like s3, but I wish that some of the things from s2 could have been carried over. Such as the genetic system, especially how the parent's dna blends.
  • grace2006grace2006 Posts: 291 New Member
    edited November 2009
    grace2006 wrote:

did they block out brown eye?

LOL if so.

yeah... for some reason "**********" was blocked. I don't understand. I was just...lolwut? And the twin with blue eyes is gorgeous, but I just can't work out why she has that eye colour. Both twins ended up with mom's hair colour, though.
    edited November 2009
    I can understand how come some people say the genetics work OK, when they don't have problems with their game. For example, I don't get many hairstyles passing on at all, about three quarters of all sims born in game have different hairstyles than their parent.

My problem with it comes from the fact that there isn't a single normal sim born in my game (genetic wise) since patch 1.3. I've been doing experiments with purposely built sims, like straight hair colours (no roots, highlights and such), just a single colour, same with eyes and skintones and after breeding them the kids still come out wrong.

For example, I had two parents, created by me, with brown eyes both and of two kids, one had yellow eyes and the next one had purple eyes. With hair, it's not all that messed up in my game, but in about a quarter of the experiments with one all blonde and one all brown-haired sim (again both created by me), the kid comes out with black hair. When it comes to skintones, it's terrible, the colours won't mix no matter what, regardless of CAS slider position or anything else, it's either one colour or the other, no variation whatsoever.

And this hasn't been always the case, as I previously said, in my game, the skintones did mix&blend until the 1.3 patch, it was right after it that genetics went bad.
  • JuniorS89JuniorS89 Posts: 120
    edited August 2011
    Genetics seem to work fine in my game.

But I think they should show the Chromosomes of Sims in it's biography. I would like to see two boxes in the biography part of the scrabbook, a smaller one off to the upper left where you can choose whether your sims run on the xy, xx system or wa, wg, ww system. xy system means that the male sims have xy chromosomes & the female sims have xx chromosomes; wa, wg, & ww system means that the male sims have wa or wg chromosomes (where wg males are slightly more masculine than wa males) & the femle sims have ww chromosomes. I also think that the biography should also show the sim's name so that players have an easier time telling which they are typing up or editing a biography for.

My avatar has a black wife in my sims game who children are what I would consider a blend of the two. For example their son favores burgers just like his father, both children have a light brown skin tone; which I consider to be a mixture of the interracial marriage I have.
  • esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited August 2011
    I really have no idea how my genetics work...... They are interesting this I know. For example... I took these two sims:
    Screenshot-292.jpg

Both have blonde hair, male has red eyes, female has purple. First 2 girls came out with their mom's blond hair and purple eyes. I then had twin girls.... One came out with RED hair and purple eyes, the other came out with BLACK hair and red eyes. Explain that one. LOL
  • dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm pretty sure genetics works just fine

My sim Pamela is the spitting image of her mother
    d0kom.jpg
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • luckynicole659luckynicole659 Posts: 7,707 New Member
    edited August 2011
    uh guys this thread is old
  • CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Hello thread from '09. ;)

Genetics are fine from what I've seen.
  • dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited August 2011
    uh guys this thread is old
    Sooo..? :P
    Not to be rude or anything
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I've always wondered why people get annoyed when an old post is revitalized. If it's interesting and sparks discussion then who cares? Anyway, my experience with genetics has been pretty positive. My first blended family (light skinned dad, dark skinned mom) produced two dark skinned children, two light brown children, and one light skinned child. They all had very obvious facial characteristics from both parents, with one looking more like dad, another looking more like mom, you know how it goes. I wonder why it doesn't work for everyone? If you want to see proof of genetics, just check out the "Breeding out the Ugly" thread!
  • PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    edited August 2011
    snurfles wrote:
    Yeah, I've always wondered why people get annoyed when an old post is revitalized. If it's interesting and sparks discussion then who cares?...

I think it is only annoying (funny actually) if the newest poster is replying to the OP and is expecting an answer, or is *informing* the OP of new information w/o checking the origination date of the thread starter. Obviously, this updated information would not have been available at the time the post was originated.

Other than that, yeah, it can be good discussion, and interesting to see what people previously had to say.
  • JuniorS89JuniorS89 Posts: 120
    edited August 2011
    The number of characters allowed in the biography should be 999 not 994. I would like to see better blending of skin colors cuz all I can get w/ my black girl & white guy couple is light brom skin children. This can get annoying at times. :!: :!:
  • koolyaidkoolyaid Posts: 789 New Member
    edited August 2011
    JuniorS89 wrote:
    The number of characters allowed in the biography should be 999 not 994. I would like to see better blending of skin colors cuz all I can get w/ my black girl & white guy couple is light brom skin children. This can get annoying at times. :!: :!:

If you want the skintones to blend, both of the sims have to have the same basic skin (in CAS, there are various base skintones you start out with like pale, pink, brown, blue, green, etc.), but different shades like a light brown skin tone mixing with a dark brown. That's the only way mixed skintones can work.
  • simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited August 2011
    Hmm...I think my game's genetics work fine. Usually they have a hair color of the parent, but IDK about the skin color. Usually the parents' skin don't vary too drastically for me to be able to tell.

More often than not I think genetics work TOO well. If it's a girl, they look so identical to the mom, and opposite for a boy.