Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use imaginary friends?

I tried them once when generations first came out and even turned one into a real sim, but I got fed up with that save, it was more like a save test anyway.
Then I have never played with them again until now, my child sim is an only child and I thought it would be cool for him to have an IF but he doesnt do anything else apart playing with his IF it's so annoying I deleted it during the night when the thing was in the doll form >:) And I never want to play with them again. I had forgotton how annoying they were :D

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    In past, I used Imaginary Friends as their future wife/husband...
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think they went totally wrong with the IF interpretation. In my opinion it should have been an invisible kid that does naughty stuff, that would disappear at reaching teen age (what teen has an invisible friend, come on). With only an opportunity to visualise it during the period the sim is a kid (leaving out the very annoying constantly playing with the doll thing; the kid should urn that by playing with the IF a lot - in a how kids play way, play tag, things like that - and then giving them the opportunity to make the IF visible. I hate the creepy doll and it gets creepier and creepier when it grows up. A big, galumphing bag, that's what it is.

(and not every kid should have one, it should be a 'weeeeee, my kid's got an IF!!!' kind of feature)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    I rarely allowed the kids to keep the doll, I usually passed it to the parent to stop it progressing. It frustrated me that you couldn't sell the thing. In the end I installed a mod to stop the dolls being generated.
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 5,843 Member
    I think they're creepy and cool. All my kids have one and I'd like to marry off a sim to one.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    One child I'm playing with has an IF now made real. She's insane, kind of a hermit and her doll is her only true friend for her whole life.
    In general, I hate them. They're so creepy ! Even the above was, especially when I didn't change her traits yet and she was mean-spirited. I was angry at how horrible she was with her best friend. So every time I had a family that received one, oh no, Chucky is back !
    Now I have mods that systematically get rid of the dolls all at once and to buy and delete them individually. If only I could have fully decided who gets them, who doesn't, and sold them at will, and even ideally chosen their traits, all without mods, I wouldn't hate them like now I think.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I had my first IF recently. It can be sooo annoying. I mean, I tell the genius kid to play chess and instead, he plays some stupid game with his IF. His sister got one too, but it's still sitting in the mailbox and I have no intention of using it.
  • TheDarkRoseTheDarkRose Posts: 230 Member
    They give me the creeps.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I don't use them anymore. I tried them when I first got Generations, but they got in the way constantly. I usually play with large households anyways and more uncontrollable sims on the lot was frustrating. I eventually got a mod that stopped kids from getting them at all. I also didn't like how toddlers were obsessed with them. Three or four toddlers singing to their IF dolls is the stuff of horror movies.

I also thought EA dropped the ball with them. The dolls were (sometimes) fine for childhood but as a teen and older? EA should have included a permanent "goodbye" option with the dolls for teens and above. It could have been a nice way to symbolize a sim finally letting go of childhood fantasies as they become more mature. The only IF I made read was for an Insane sim, who married his IF.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Hmmm.... Permanent goodbye options: a) say goodbye and it disappears; b) hold funeral and bury it and it disappears; or c) throw in bonfire and it disappears. Those would all work for me. :) I do, on occasion, give life to the IF, but for the most part I just cancel out the interaction and send the child to do something else. Working around them hasn't been a problem really - but more options would have been nice.
  • ElliePlaysGamesElliePlaysGames Posts: 3 New Member
    howw do you get the imaginary friend?
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 5,843 Member
    Surreal wrote: »
    Hmmm.... Permanent goodbye options: a) say goodbye and it disappears; b) hold funeral and bury it and it disappears; or c) throw in bonfire and it disappears. Those would all work for me. :) I do, on occasion, give life to the IF, but for the most part I just cancel out the interaction and send the child to do something else. Working around them hasn't been a problem really - but more options would have been nice.

I've never experienced any annoying issues with them. I usually don't pay attention to them, but I'm looking forward to playing with them after reading these posts.

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've tried it once or twice in the past. I've since then turned them off via NRaas mod (Retuner).
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Members'+Retuner+Settings#

They are more fun to have around for kids but once they are made real, it feels like a useless occult. That's my opinion on these dolls. :/ If I remember correctly, their human form is a randomly generated sim= all sliders set to the middle. I'm not surprised but I just wish this game would randomize sliders.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    No. As soon as it comes in the mail, I delete it.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    howw do you get the imaginary friend?
    You will need to have the Generations expansion pack installed. Then follow this guide:
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/generations/imaginaryfriend.php

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I have a mod that I have set to make sure every baby born in my game has a 100% chance of getting an IF.
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I don't use them anymore. I tried them when I first got Generations, but they got in the way constantly. I usually play with large households anyways and more uncontrollable sims on the lot was frustrating. I eventually got a mod that stopped kids from getting them at all. I also didn't like how toddlers were obsessed with them. Three or four toddlers singing to their IF dolls is the stuff of horror movies.

I also thought EA dropped the ball with them. The dolls were (sometimes) fine for childhood but as a teen and older? EA should have included a permanent "goodbye" option with the dolls for teens and above. It could have been a nice way to symbolize a sim finally letting go of childhood fantasies as they become more mature. The only IF I made read was for an Insane sim, who married his IF.

I had that happen with two toddlers. It's why I don't let the toddlers sing to them anymore. Toddlers are bad enough. The kids singing is like something out of Dragon Age Origins - the Orphanage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHRA8Sj57O4

Starting at 6:20 - augh.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • kiara07kiara07 Posts: 575 Member
    Seems mostly everyone hates them. Not a suprise, I was thinking it would be something like this when I created the thread :p
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I hate how they are all pudding when they become real. Ugly puddings ahhhh. They're annoying... pretty much stalkers of your children. I use MC to delete the dolls. They are good for taking screenshots creepy though.

ZqMRzia.png?1
    sdeAkWB.png?1
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I agree with everyone suggesting a goodbye feature. The first and only time I ever used one, I had no idea that they poofed around like the gnomes do. No matter where I put it, poof back into the baby crib.

Thought I was going bonkers.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited March 2017
    This is Harry. I know you'll all hate him but I think he's gorgeous.
    Harry001.jpg

His dad is an IF turned real and he has inherited that occult state.

This is his little sister, Tina with her IF doll. She has also inherited the IF occult state but can't change into her doll form yet. She'll be able to when she gets a bit older.

Tina009.jpg

Tina008.jpg

This is their father, Bob, getting married to his second wife, Kitty.
    KittyAndBob011.jpg

Kitty is a Sim I made in CAS years ago and added to my game.
    Kitty020.jpg
    The game paired her up with Bob and they are devoted to each other.

Katey is the daughter of Bob and Kitty. Katey did not inherit her father's IF occult state.
    Katey001.jpg

This is Harry after he aged up to teen.
    HarrysParty016.jpg
    The game gave him that hair when he aged up and I decided to let him keep it.

Kitty and Bob at Harry's birthday party.
    KittyAndBob001.jpg
    Bob is at level 10 of the Ghosthunter career.

This is Perry. He is the son of another IF and Sim. He didn't inherit the IF occult state but is a pyromaniac. I've read that some descendants of IFs can have the Pyromaniac trait.
    Perry002.jpg

Perry's mother was also born in game. She's a human sim.

EDIT: Here's the IF 'protecting' the baby from the teddy bear that got turned into a vampire gnome.
    David003.jpg
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I like IFs. When I have room in the household and want to make them real I let the children keep them, if not, I just put them in their parents inventory. It can be a bit annoying (especially with toddlers), when I want them to do some skilling, and instead they play non-stop with their dolls, but hey, I can cancel that, right?
    The IF as a supernatural status is a bit lame - all they can do, is turn into their doll form, but they have amazing eye and hair colours. Of course, they are all face one, but I don´t even mind that, all that bothers me about face one, is the fact that everyone looks the same. And I can change that, too.

One of my cutes couples ever are these two:

Screenshot-p91_zpstwhkkb0w.jpg

Joe was not Nathan´s IF, but the one of his brother. Joe was made real when he was a child and his traits were ok. I clicked on Nathan´s stressed out moodlet one day, when they were both teenagers, and he decided to give Joe flowers. Joe refused, but Nate was persistent, and they got married later and had a son, who also was an IF. They were one of the sim couples who were always searching each others company, not just to wohoo, but to talk, play, or just sit together.

Of coures, IFs can be creepy, especially, if they glitch out and age up before the child.

Screenshot-2814_zps3hlcksws.jpg

My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I hate those stupid things so much. They're extremely creepy and I always have the weirdest most unsettling issues with them. I try very hard to avoid them. I had them modded out at one point even, I really need to find that mod again (it was one of the mods I couldn't recover from my old laptop, that's the only reason I don't still have it). I actually get angry whenever I get the message "aunt susie has sent sally a special toy" or whatever the heck that message is.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    I don't let my toddlers have them. I remember having them a very long time ago but they got really annoying when they would constantly follow my sim into the bathroom. And they keep getting creepier. They stand there just watching with their blank faces *shudder*. :grimace:
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I had to get a Mod to remove the chance of getting them randomly while I have another Mod that makes them buyable and deletable so i can still choose to give one to a baby while other children don't end up getting them.That helped for when the family has a baby and dosen't have enough room anything like that in their home.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    In past, I used Imaginary Friends as their future wife/husband...

I thought about this, when my first Sim raised from toddler to adulthood had twins of his own, and they got the dolls. But I also thought, "surely these two will be able to do better for themselves, as skilled & wealthy teens/young adults?" It seems kind of a cop-out to bank on romancing the IF in adulthood. What if the IF turns into a Sim I don't particularly like? I can cure pudding-face in CAS... but why not simply find (or make) a more suitable Sim?

Upshot, my boys played with the dolls a bit, but I was more interested in developing their skills and relationships with family & each other - IFs were handy if I needed to keep them harmlessly occupied while I focused on other things, but otherwise I find them a bit creepy and intrusive.