Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's start discussing Witches

Comments

• Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Also I'd probably just do somethin unconventional like Brujas Girls: Skate Witches :wink:<3

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/28591/1/brujas-skate-witches
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Should Sorcerers be immortal? I personally don't think so, I think they should have double the life span of a Human.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Should Sorcerers be immortal? I personally don't think so, I think they should have double the life span of a Human.
    I'm thinking they could have the ability to put part of their "essence" in a special box, sort of like Horcruxes. Then as long as that box exists, they are immortal. If it gets destroyed, they start aging again.

I'm not sure about the functionality of such a box beyond that though. Like should it be something that other Supernaturals can destroy? And if so, should it only be something the player can choose to destroy (ex: player Sorcerer destroys NPC's Sorcerer box)? Or should there be a chance of it getting destroyed by some other consequence that is more random and volatile?
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I see a lot of ambitious input and I just wanna say this:

Witches have never bombed. Makin' Magic was loved, Sims 2 Witches were loved, Supernatural was loved (of course, save for those that dislike all things fantasy). Witches have always always always had a really solid base and a solid formula.

With that said, while new ideas are surely always welcome and valued, my #1 request is that EA/Maxis doesn't tamper with a formula that works. Give them powerful spells that act like powers, give them an extensive alchemy skill, then focus on if any of these new ideas people have posted can be included without much hassle. The powers and spells plus the alchemy skill alone has so much potential, and I'm sure it's why most people love witches in the first place. I'm not opposed to new ideas at all, but I do hope that if and when they develop such a pack, they don't put the cart before the horse and let ambitious of new features lead them to neglect the tried-and-true witch formula. Please just focus on the basic witch premise we've always gotten first, then look into new features and improvements if possible.

Having said that, yeah I have nothing against any of the ideas people have listed, it's just I read the thread up to this point and everyone has a drastically different new idea. Plenty of new ideas and plenty of interesting ideas, but at the end of the day I think the core concept should be handled first.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Nevertheless I think witch/wizard advancement should be patterned on the vampire system. So we have spells in place of powers. You learn different spells as you advance. And there need to be weaknesses just like the vampires. For example a "good" witch could not learn certain spell and vice versa.
  • Options
    Triplis wrote: »
    I'm thinking they could have the ability to put part of their "essence" in a special box, sort of like Horcruxes. Then as long as that box exists, they are immortal. If it gets destroyed, they start aging again.

I'm not sure about the functionality of such a box beyond that though. Like should it be something that other Supernaturals can destroy? And if so, should it only be something the player can choose to destroy (ex: player Sorcerer destroys NPC's Sorcerer box)? Or should there be a chance of it getting destroyed by some other consequence that is more random and volatile?

I was thinking, more along the line of an object, the Holy Grail. I didn't get too far into Harry Potter to know the full details about Horcruxes.
    when a Sim drinks, nectar or water from the enchanted cup they are granted:
    Immortality - Live forever.
    Invincibility - from fire, lightning Water, or emotional death, nothing can kill them
    Eternal Youth - Freeze aging.
    and to humans - could grant them the Arcane Trait.

People forget Immortality and Eternal Youth are two separate things. you can live forever but that doesn't mean you are forever young.

I was thinking of talismans and conduits, objects that store your Sorcerer's magic, it's like the Book of Life, except it's not a one time use. it's a entity that constantly takes note of your sim's progress.

I think a spell book should be the Sorcerer's Default Conduit.
    but if the player wants, there are other optional conduits, When they start buying/collecting wands/staves, their buy a Cauldron, after they enchant their broomstick, or Magic Mirrors
    these other objects can also be used as talismans.
    it should be noted other sims can get hold of the sorcerer's talisman, (After they reach a certain level in Arcane lore, and is able to identify it as your main talisman and know how it works) they can absorb the sorcerer's current powers.
    if the Talisman is destroyed or is no longer durable and breaks the Sim's the Arcane Trait will be disconnected' Your Sim will lose all ties to their magic, in someways you are now mortal.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    I was thinking, more along the line of an object, the Holy Grail. I didn't get too far into Harry Potter to know the full details about Horcruxes.
    Invincibility - from fire, lightning Water, or emotional death, nothing can kill them

People forget Immortality and Eternal Youth are two separate things. you can live forever but that doesn't mean you are forever young.

I was thinking of talismans and conduits, objects that store your Sorcerer's magic, it's like the Book of Life, except it's not a one time use. it's a entity that constantly takes note of your sim's progress.

but if the player wants, there are other optional conduits, When they start buying/collecting wands/staves, their buy a Cauldron, after they enchant their broomstick, or Magic Mirrors
    it should be noted other sims can get hold of the sorcerer's talisman, (After they reach a certain level in Arcane lore, and is able to identify it as your main talisman and know how it works) they can absorb the sorcerer's current powers.
    if the Talisman is destroyed or is no longer durable and breaks the Sim's the Arcane Trait will be disconnected' Your Sim will lose all ties to their magic, in someways you are now mortal.
    FWIW, Horcruxes are basically objects that the person puts part of their soul into, such that if their "normal" form is killed, they aren't truly dead and can get a body back with some doing. Without going into spoilery details of the story, it was considered a dark/evil thing to do, since it fragments your soul.

But I think the soul angle of it would be far too dark for TS4, so that's why I used the word "essence."

A spell book as the talisman/conduit is probably a good idea, since it'd be so much easier to implement, given that we already have the Book of Life. I like the sound of that.

I'm not sure about the process of severing one's connection to magic though. I guess it touches on a larger question, actually, which is: Should being a Sorcerer be something that you can "obtain," like being transformed into a Vampire? Or should it only be something you get by being born with a propensity for magic? (e.g. through birth bloodlines and through CAS)

Cause it seems like it could be rather messy (coding-wise) if all you have to do to take away some's magic power is destroy their talisman (unless the process of destroying a talisman has less to do with the object itself and more to do with executing a special interaction, like curing a vampire? I could be wrong about the difficulties, but that is how it strikes me). But at the same time, on a gameplay level, it might be more interesting if arcane ability is something you can learn, as opposed to only having it innately.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Some of the stuff is already in the game and would just need to be expanded on. Herbalism, formulary, and ritualistic magic for witchcraft. I don't want to see flying brooms, pointy hats, hocus pocus magic, or any of the other tropes.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

FWIW, Horcruxes are basically objects that the person puts part of their soul into, such that if their "normal" form is killed, they aren't truly dead and can get a body back with some doing. Without going into spoilery details of the story, it was considered a dark/evil thing to do, since it fragments your soul.

But I think the soul angle of it would be far too dark for TS4, so that's why I used the word "essence."

A spell book as the talisman/conduit is probably a good idea, since it'd be so much easier to implement, given that we already have the Book of Life. I like the sound of that.

I'm not sure about the process of severing one's connection to magic though. I guess it touches on a larger question, actually, which is: Should being a Sorcerer be something that you can "obtain," like being transformed into a Vampire? Or should it only be something you get by being born with a propensity for magic? (e.g. through birth bloodlines and through CAS)

Cause it seems like it could be rather messy (coding-wise) if all you have to do to take away some's magic power is destroy their talisman (unless the process of destroying a talisman has less to do with the object itself and more to do with executing a special interaction, like curing a vampire? I could be wrong about the difficulties, but that is how it strikes me). But at the same time, on a gameplay level, it might be more interesting if arcane ability is something you can learn, as opposed to only having it innately.

That's why Magic is So Complex.

Magic itself, I believe it is a form of energy so it follows the Laws of Energy, "Energy can't be created or destroyed, rather it can be harnessed, conserved, or transferred.
    By definition "Arcane" is a mysterious and illusive understood by few, therefore it can't be learned and wield by just anyone, it's not that easy.
    One with the Arcane trait, a Sorcerer, can Harness, Conserve and Transfer manipulate energy, magic, at will.

That's why I say Severe the Connection, It gives the player hope that there is away to restore the Sim's connection to Arcane trait, to regain access magic once again. Think of it as the Reconfiguration Potion, except, there's a bit of an extensive challenge.

To answer the Questions.

it should be both, You can be born with the Arcane ability, of course at least one Parent must Be A Sorcerer/Sorceress.
    -it should be very rare that both parents are human and the child has the Arcane ability.
    -If one parent is a Sorcerer, and the other is Human it is possible for the Child to be born with the Arcane Ability, but also connection is Severed.
    Energy can be dormant if You're parent or you know a Sorcerer, with the power of the Elements, You can ask them to awaken your powers, by Mysticism.

or you could cheat it in, traits.equip_trait arcane as it works with Vampires and Aliens.

If A human Steals a Sorcerer's Talisman, and absorbs the Sorcerer's Power. Essentially they are stealing a part of the Sorcerer's magical Identity. the Human's newfound powers is not his/her own, and they are leeching off the original power... Should original Sorcerer's Conduit be destroyed, those who are leaching of the original will lose "their" power too.

Talismans, I don't want to call it a tether, but in away that's what it is.
    In away It's a Failsafe, but also a liability.
    you don't need it in your inventory, or on your Lot to cast spells, it just needs to exist.

in the events you lose your power, your talisman can revive what you've lost, but I also believe Magic Comes With A Price, if it's destroyed you lose what you have. and Since it's a conduit, to me it makes sense, that you just lose the connection, and not the ability as a whole.

I just think it's a good idea why not make a real spell book that actually has a UI. It's similar Vampire's Strengths and weakness, but For Sorcerer's it's in Chapters of 10, each chapter contains different areas of magic, and you the player gets to chose what you want your sim to learn.
    and from what you highlight in the book is what your sim will use when They Duel, or fight other supernaturals and humans.

and it's vital that you do keep it safe, because if you straight up lose the book, I don't know how you misplace a cauldron, or if you lose the wand, silly mistakes You can't access the Spell Book UI window. (No I don't want it to be built into the actual UI.)
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    edited March 2017

Actually Back to the Horcrux thing... I Love Once Upon a Time, And I NEED enchanted Hearts to be a thing in the sims.

I actually don't think it's that dark for the Sims 4 it shouldn't effect the ratings at all. maybe push the envelope but I think it would be awesome.
    -no blood or gore
    -Sorcerer's hand phases through the victim's chest
    -plucks the victim's hear

latest?cb=20141214171847

if put into the Sims I expect a Heart shaped crystal to be ripped out that simply glows with every beat.
    I just think it takes "Playing with Sim's Emotions" to a whole new Level.
    As long as you hold their heart in your hands, you can control them kind of like the voodoo doll and vampire Mind control.
    and as long as the victim remains heartless over time they will forget what it feels like to be happy, love, laugh, and heartache.
    and they can't die if they're heart is not in their body

I would file this under Chapter 10 - Forbidden Spells, Next to Necromancy and Time Travel.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    Actually Back to the Horcrux thing... I Love Once Upon a Time, And I NEED enchanted Hearts to be a thing in the sims.

I actually don't think it's that dark for the Sims 4 it shouldn't effect the ratings at all. maybe push the envelope but I think it would be awesome.
    -no blood or gore
    -Sorcerer's hand phases through the victim's chest
    -plucks the victim's hear

latest?cb=20141214171847

if put into the Sims I expect a Heart shaped crystal to be ripped out that simply glows with every beat.
    I just think it takes "Playing with Sim's Emotions" to a whole new Level.
    As long as you hold their heart in your hands, you can control them kind of like the voodoo doll and vampire Mind control.
    and as long as the victim remains heartless over time they will forget what it feels like to be happy, love, laugh, and heartache.
    and they can't die if they're heart is not in their body

I would file this under Chapter 10 - Forbidden Spells, Next to Necromancy and Time Travel.
    That sounds awesome. A little creepy, but awesome.

I read your other post too, btw, just don't have much to say in reply atm.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I hope that if they make witches - which have always been my favorite supernatural life state - that there are a variety of options in how you can make them look. I'm glad that the vampires had different options that let you make them look as monstrous or normal as you wanted. I need them to make witches that don't have to look like the pointy-hat-wearing stereotypes (I'd love to see ones that looked more like they had an affinity with nature, maybe some arm vine accessories? And the pointy hat ones as an option is okay too).

Along those lines, I also really hope they wouldn't restrict witches to having to use a wand or another implement. If there was some way to introduce a toggle that let you choose to use one or not, great. But I don't want to be forced into using one.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I hope that if they make witches - which have always been my favorite supernatural life state - that there are a variety of options in how you can make them look. I'm glad that the vampires had different options that let you make them look as monstrous or normal as you wanted. I need them to make witches that don't have to look like the pointy-hat-wearing stereotypes (I'd love to see ones that looked more like they had an affinity with nature, maybe some arm vine accessories? And the pointy hat ones as an option is okay too).

Along those lines, I also really hope they wouldn't restrict witches to having to use a wand or another implement. If there was some way to introduce a toggle that let you choose to use one or not, great. But I don't want to be forced into using one.

Right I'm not much of a wizards/witches hat kind of person I'm more... Well I would love some Gaelic/Celtic Gowns, Tunics and armor, maybe modernize the clothing a little. I would Love cloaks, to be an Accessory.

Similar to how they did Hats can be worn with any Hairstyle, so Cloaks could be added on top of any outfit, and It might be hard but with a functional hood.

Something Like this, Make it Unisex, a little longer, I wish physics was a thing I would love to see it flow, maybe make it a little more form fitting around the torso... maybe

1b9c6165ef90bf0a3fb553efe519b94d_by_mphattyboi-db3ijb8.jpg
    screen_shot_2017_03_25_at_3_51_04_pm_by_mphattyboi-db3ijcn.png
    screen_shot_2017_03_25_at_3_51_19_pm_by_mphattyboi-db3ijbx.png

I want it to come in Blood red, Navy Blue maybe with some celestial designs like the Windenburg night Sky, Emerald Green
    dark metallic Gold, purple black, white.

and that's why I think Hand magic should be default, and then the player can just choose to buy their wand. It's not a precedent that Witches use wands and "aspire" to do hand magic one day.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I want Pets to come first so when the witches game pack "The Sims 4: Feel Blessed To Curse You" gets released I can create "Salem Saberhagen" (of Sabrina the teenage witch fame) as the witches familiar!
  • Options
    Right I'm not much of a wizards/witches hat kind of person I'm more... Well I would love some Gaelic/Celtic Gowns, Tunics and armor, maybe modernize the clothing a little. I would Love cloaks, to be an Accessory.

Similar to how they did Hats can be worn with any Hairstyle, so Cloaks could be added on top of any outfit, and It might be hard but with a functional hood.

Cool idea. I get the feeling if they did add them, the cloaks would be part of certain outfits and a hood would be just another hat. Or it would be a full-body outfit with the hood up (like the male outfit already in game with a hoodie that's up).

• Options
    bizuktag wrote: »

Cool idea. I get the feeling if they did add them, the cloaks would be part of certain outfits and a hood would be just another hat. Or it would be a full-body outfit with the hood up (like the male outfit already in game with a hoodie that's up).

Well it's not impossible! I just hope if they make it an outfit if you can see what's being worn underneath it looks good.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    GloGloGoldfishGloGloGoldfish Posts: 2 New Member
    I would love to see some throwbacks to Makin' Magic tossed in, just sayin. That was my favorite expansion ever.

Assuming we really will get species specific game packs, like witches, and whatever else, it would be really nice to have a sort of supernatural races city, with sections of the town geared toward different magical groups and a central hub. It could be a Halloween free download, like Newcrest but with lots.
  • Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 298 Member
    Would love ability to cast ghost form like vampires do with their abilities instead of using a chemist serum, if were going to get some different witch powers. Because ghost absolutely one most funny state for doing pranks occasionally, except for maybe the Alien probe one is hillarious too.
  • Options
    Would love ability to cast ghost form like vampires do with their abilities instead of using a chemist serum, if were going to get some different witch powers. Because ghost absolutely one most funny state for doing pranks occasionally, except for maybe the Alien probe one is hillarious too.

I don't know I'm kind of against Potions that transform Life States. to me it's overdone, and I personally think it was too easy.

I would rather see transformation spells, that Sorcerers can cast. A Spell, that "Skips" Death, it resolves the flesh, bones, and the only thing that remains is a ghost.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Jestina wrote: »
    Some of the stuff is already in the game and would just need to be expanded on. Herbalism, formulary, and ritualistic magic for witchcraft. I don't want to see flying brooms, pointy hats, hocus pocus magic, or any of the other tropes.
    Unpopular opinion but I agree with this. We've had very showy magic in the franchise, I'd like to see a more practical approach. Maybe even spiritual. Negative consequences if witchcraft is used for selfish reasons. A Granny Weatherwax philosophy of not using magic.

My "witch" character in game has the potion master trait to change people's mood when they need it, max skill in herbalism for mundane issues, and vampire lore drinks for less mundane issues (for now).
    I imagine something more akin to the scientist career serums, but even though those are made with natural ingredients she has in her garden, the chemistry lab just doesn't feel right.
    I'd like more subtle ways of influencing other sims. Make townies fall in love. Whisper spells without wand/hand wave.
    Homemade charms or bath salts that prevent mood swings or alleviate negative emotions. A spell limit like vampire energy.
    Discovering potions through active trials and errors, like grafting, no standing still in front of an object or studying like vampire lore.
    No big obviously magic skill object, being able to do all your craft in your kitchen. Lots of clutter and candles !
  • Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 298 Member

I don't know I'm kind of against Potions that transform Life States. to me it's overdone, and I personally think it was too easy.

I would rather see transformation spells, that Sorcerers can cast. A Spell, that "Skips" Death, it resolves the flesh, bones, and the only thing that remains is a ghost.

I guess that is a preference thing i guess, but not something really uncommon in movies or in roleplaying games to be able to become ghost like for a period of time. In dungeons and dragons just to name an example you have the wraithform and Ghostly visage i think it's called, in usually see similar things through astral projections or even spells sometimes.

But again i guess comes down to a personal preference how you feel about those things in games, just thought considering temporary ghost form already there in form of get to work serum, it would been nice to be able to have it as a witch spell too that didn't require taking science career or putting together a lot of components for.
  • Options
    TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    I most definitely want them to have a detailed spell section similiar to the vampire abilities with some base spells that all witches can cast similar to the sims 3 and I want them immortal!
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• Options
    dmel15dmel15 Posts: 572 Member
    Trimoth wrote: »
    I most definitely want them to have a detailed spell section similiar to the vampire abilities with some base spells that all witches can cast similar to the sims 3 and I want them immortal!

I wouldn't want witches to be immortal by default. But it would be cool if they could learn a spell that lengthens their current life stage. That way they theoretically are immortal, but it isn't by default like how vampires are.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    So, I've been thinking more about spellcasters and came up with some other things I'd like to add to my wish list. (It's getting huge, I know, lol)

Back when I used to play Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition (dating myself here, haha) there were "schools" of magic, that were like categories for spells. They included Enchantment/Charm, Necromancy, Illusion, Summoning/Conjuring, Divination, Evocation/Invocation, Alteration/Transmutation, and Abjuration. Now, in the very famous Harry Potter story, they had something similar when students attended Hogwarts, and they took a variety of classes that taught specific types of magic. Transfiguration, Charms, Divination, Astronomy, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures, Runes, Potions, etc. Also, there is a huge variety of fantasy fiction and media that references a plethora of magic types like elemental, nature, spirit, forces, mind, time, etc....

Now, I know that the devs can only put so much into a pack, so I'd really love to see a bunch of these categories kind of condensed into a variety of magical paths that make sense for the Sims world, that the spellcaster could choose from. It would be similar to the Vampire powers, of course, but I feel like it should be a little more branched out because, after all, magic encompasses an enormous potential. I'd like to see a way to "specialize" in a certain category, if it's possible. I brought up in my previous post that I'd like to see a variety of spellcaster types, like Witches, Wizards, Voodoo Priests, Druids, etc. who, when chosen, came with a default spell or two specific to their type, that they wouldn't have to purchase with points. For example, a Druid might come with an ability to make garden plants evolve faster (need that! ;) ), but it could still be a purchasable power option for other spellcaster types. Maybe the type of caster also determines what kind of implement they have options to use, or what kind of visual effect appears when they cast. In the same example, the druid might have an option to use a knotted staff, and/or maybe a whoosh of leaves appear when they cast. I know that might be a little too ambitious for development, but I'd still like to see it if it were possible. I suppose that implements could also just be cosmetic accessories in CAS for people who really want them. That said, I do think there should also be a way to play a spellcaster without a category, like a "wild mage" or "hedge mage", and they would just cast with their hands and maybe start off with the ability to buy a low level spell to start.

But I was thinking, also, of some cool things that spellcasters could do in game, but some of these things would be dependent on other expansions, so I don't know if it would go over well, but it would give the pack the potential to really branch out and I'd love the options to be there for "crossover" spells. Examples: If there was a "Celestial" path, it might be able to summon aliens, get someone abducted, banish aliens, etc. (Would require Get To Work). There could be a "Fauna" path that deals with the control of sims and animals, (would require pets and/or werewolves) could summon pets, maybe turn someone or themselves into an animal, turn someone into a werewolf, etc. An "Elemental" path could manipulate the weather, (would require a weather pack and/or seasons) as well as cause fires, freeze, blow sims down with wind to be dazed, etc. A "Necromancy" path could bring a Sim back to life, turn them into a ghost, vampire, mummy or zombie, or turn them back into a normal Sim, (would need, of course, other supernaturals like zombies), and change a Sim's age, etc. In any case, this would mean that a spellcaster/magic pack would have to come after some of these other things were already released, or have them included with the pack somehow.

Anyway, I have a bazillion other ideas but this post is already pretty long, so I'll leave it at that for now. But I do really want to see voodoo and druids and necromancy included somehow. Pretty please? :)

#Team Occult
  • Options
    happyopi wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion but I agree with this. We've had very showy magic in the franchise, I'd like to see a more practical approach. Maybe even spiritual. Negative consequences if witchcraft is used for selfish reasons. A Granny Weatherwax philosophy of not using magic.

I agree on the practical approach to magic, but not so much on Granny Weatherwax's philosophy. If there's a witch GP, I'll focus on actually using the magic! :p
    happyopi wrote: »
    I'd like more subtle ways of influencing other sims. Make townies fall in love. Whisper spells without wand/hand wave. Homemade charms or bath salts that prevent mood swings or alleviate negative emotions. A spell limit like vampire energy.
    Discovering potions through active trials and errors, like grafting, no standing still in front of an object or studying like vampire lore.
    No big obviously magic skill object, being able to do all your craft in your kitchen. Lots of clutter and candles !

Sounds very Practical Magic, which is the style I'd prefer most too. I'd much rather a witch who has more use for ritual - collecting ingredients, performing incantations - than just a wand that zaps things Harry Potter style. I'd love a witch who had use for candles and a spellbook and an herb garden! Hopefully whatever they choose, if they make the pack, will allow that kind of gameplay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top