Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Started making my first World this week...

Comments

• Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    @Mrknowitall526 The latest pictures are looking lovely! So far, very good, I look forward to seeing more :smile:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    The tool is Sooo much better than when they released it. So many improvements that most won't know about unless they used it as the start.
    It's just as easy as any program, like Gimp and Photoshop, imo. It takes time to learn its keys.

It will also never be out of "Beta" because, from what I understand, it's not all their program. I'm just so Happy EA kept it's promise to make it for us. We waited almost a year for it and it made the whole game for me. Years of time lost in happy creating. :heart:

*Oh, It looks Adorable! :+1:
    Is there a good tutorial by the way (like in a YouTube video)? I'd love to try this, but I really wonder how it goes exactly.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @Rflong7 Thanks, yes, I can imagine it is like that (having to start before you really know what the questions will be ;)). I just found this video. I first want to know what's it really about before even thinking of trying it out myself, I think that video is what I was looking for (explaining everything step by step, giving an idea).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Is it going to be populated?
  • Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    Is it going to be populated?

I don't know ... haven't gotten that far yet!!
    Well I just spent about 2 hours placing 2 bridges over a river, fixing some roads, and sculpting the "sides" of the world. I didn't like that you could see the edge, since I built stuff so close to it. But I also don't like the "island" concept - wonder if there's some way to change that (I kind of doubt it). I tried using the camera no-routing but didn't really know what I was doing and it didn't seem like it did much!
    Well I just spent about 2 hours placing 2 bridges over a river, fixing some roads, and sculpting the "sides" of the world. I didn't like that you could see the edge, since I built stuff so close to it. But I also don't like the "island" concept - wonder if there's some way to change that (I kind of doubt it). I tried using the camera no-routing but didn't really know what I was doing and it didn't seem like it did much!

The camera No-Routing paint is to keep the camera out of that area. (The info is in EA's Tutorial). It doesn't make the map look bigger; for when the camera is in neighborhood view (overhead) it only stops it at the middle point of the screen.
    http://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/help_en.pdf page 8

It takes the large map with a distant terrain placed (which are made specifically to fit EA worlds) to really have a use for the camera routing paint. *Or a large map to only use about a medium area... :)

Check out Sunset Valley map showing the routing in CAW- it's there to use. :)

I just learned what distant terrain is and can't wait to go home and and try it out. It would solve my current "problem"!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Your world looks very nice, I like it so far, love the pines and all. great job, keep up the good work. can't wait to see how it looks when finished.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited February 2017
    Love the forest part! Keep up the good work - CAW can be tricky sometimes, but the result is so rewarding... :)

Edit about crashing - could be because you're installing lots with EIG too early - try to work on the nature part first, do all the boring routing stuff, and then install your lots. I used a beta version of my world to build on, then I saved the lots to the bin, went into CAW, from there to EIG and just popped down the finished lots. So much easier, and a lot less strain on the computer.
    If you also have much CC (EA or else) or all the EP's and store worlds installed, it puts the computer under pressure. I finally decided on what I exactly needed, then started up an entirely new game paired with CAW to continue building without crashing every so often...

If you want to check out what I made, just follow this link to Twin Towns!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Rflong7 Thanks for your impressive knowledge about CAW and sharing with us "lesser mortals"! Love your worlds, BTW! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
    Okay, so I have a medium sized world and all the distant terrains seem to be for large. I should have started with the distant terrain and then shaped the world around that, but of course now I don't want to mess up my nice little mountain idea! I want this world to have a "city" feel, which just seems stupid with it being an island. I should experiment with using multiple DT's and placing them at opposite corners, maybe that would solve the problem.

And yes, I'm going to finish all the sculpting and roads first now before doing more lots. I just wanted to get a feel for what I wanted it to look like. I almost feel like starting over with a large map but I don't want to have to re-do everything I did so far.
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Mrknowitall526 I had the same problem, I've used the same distant terrain on 3 sides of my medium map - it took a while to line it up exactly but I got there in the end. It looks great in-game, from map view you can see the edges of the world but it's totally unnoticeable whilst playing. So yeah, think it's a good idea to experiment/play around with that :smile:

I'm on my tablet at the moment otherwise I could have linked you to a picture of mine (I wouldn't post the picture on here, don't want to mess with your thread :blush: ) so you could see which terrain I used - I found that it was the only one that looked right.

Edit: Yes! What @Rflong7 just wrote below me - that's the name of the one i used. @Rflong7 is such a star :star::smile:
    Post edited by Supersoph13 on
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
    Okay I pieces together 2 Terrain Distant Souths and some other one - don't remember which it was at the moment. Here's some pictures from all 4 sides, some are stilla little weird looking... I decided it's really easy to cover up corners with large mountains, LOL

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2017
    !jillbg wrote: »
    @Rflong7 Thanks for your impressive knowledge about CAW and sharing with us "lesser mortals"! Love your worlds, BTW! :)

Oh, goodness. I don't mean to come off as a know it all, Everyone. I just really like to help with CAW. It is the best part of TS3 for me. Sorry if I sounded rude. I've seen a lot of disappointments in DT and how they fit a certain way... :(
    I don't think they meant it that way (you sounding rude), I really think you have some true admirers and fans out there who love to express that ;)

OP, love the additions. Your world manages to look really realistic. And European in a way (the combination of the ancient bridge next to a modern one). And I like details like that parking lot.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I added a waterfall feature, but apparently they don't show up in EIG mode?!
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Looks really nice so far! :smiley:
    and realistic! which I really like
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    It's beautiful so far! :smile:

I'll be stalking this thread, just so you know. :wink:

Btw. I mentioned it earlier, but CAW really intrigues me. I will make my own little world someday. :lol:
    ninaumi wrote: »
    It's beautiful so far! :smile:

I'll be stalking this thread, just so you know. :wink:

Btw. I mentioned it earlier, but CAW really intrigues me. I will make my own little world someday. :lol:

Thanks! I'm taking a break with some of the landscaping now and trying to plan out the rabbit holes, etc. There is so much to do!
    Some shots of the waterfall area...and other various things.

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg