Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Started making my first World this week...

Yes, it's 2017, but I finally felt compelled to try my hand at CAW. It's neat, but WHEW! So much work!

I've always wanted a world that had a LOT of lots very close together, kind of like a city - but I don't want all the city high rises and such. I want to have a lot of townhouses and doubles/twins. So, decided to give it a whirl! Here's some pictures:

screenshot_original.jpg

I made a double townhouse on a 21 x 15 lot and then changed the color several times. The house has 3 floors.

screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    Your townhouses look great so far! It will be a lot of work but once it's done it will look awesome. Good luck with it :smile:
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    I absolutely love what you did there! I think I'm going to use it for an example in my own game, it nails that kind of neighborhoods. Don't know about the rest of your world but this looks awesome.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love what you have done so far! I've never tried making my own world in the sims 3. It looks very complex!
  • Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member
    Thanks! Yes, it is a ton of work, but really fun!

I experimented with public and hidden room markers to make the other half grayed out and wanted to set the front door as an NPC door, but I couldn't get it to work so I will have to come back to that.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Congratulations. I occasionally think of giving world building a go but haven't yet.

I hope you continue to enjoy it and get to play in it. It looks good so far
    Maybe @HappySimmer3 can help you with that, she know how to do it.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

A door has to be enclosed to make it an NPC door. If it's open to the lot it can't be an NPC door- put a fence around it, make it an NPC door, then remove the fence. ... iirc- it's been a long time since I made an apartment.:lol:

And how about some pictures of the World?
    And have you thought about posting in the CAW section: although it is quiet in there recently. :(

Yeah I did that, but IDK did not work. I need to play with it again. I have done it before.

LOL there isn't anything else pretty to look at yet! I more or less wanted to see how I liked the idea of the lots being so close together ... And I do! The rest of the world is flat and there is a river that goes down the middle. I need to get some ideas for terrain, etc..

And yes the CAW forum seems dead!
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @Mrknowitall526 that looks great so far! You got a lot farther with CAW than I did. I found it a bit overwhelming and I don't have the time, really, to familiarize myself with the workings of that program. I have a ton of ideas I want to try, though! :D
  • therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have never done a World on my own, except of developing Sunset Valley, but I would suggest work on topography first. The idea is great!
    Yeah, when I realized last night that I need to place every tree, flower and all of the spawners I started thinking maybe I'd made a mistake, haha! And not to mention all the necessary rabbit holes, etc. I have all the EPs and it took me about 5 minutes just to decide which City Hall I wanted to use! Then I had to landscape those lots. I spent about an hour putting city Hall, a school, and the Doo Peas Corporate Towers. Oh, and I made a small community garden lot.
  • stillsimming3stillsimming3 Posts: 14 New Member
    Awesome, keep up the good work!
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    edited February 2017
    It looks good! I started making my own world for the first time this year too :smile: so far I'm one month in. The challenge of it is actually really fun I find and I'm loving the whole making it exactly my kind of world.

I'm already planning a second, bigger world as you learn alot as you go, and there's things I'd do different like for example I used the base game road on a big part of my world, built all my roads and then found out that if I had created a custom road I could have changed the look of it later on without deleting any roads :weary:

If you haven't already look through all the CAW tips and tricks that are around on the internet, they're super helpful. I'll see if I can find and post links to the one's I found the most helpful :smile:
    Yeah, when I realized last night that I need to place every tree, flower and all of the spawners

Also Street names, Lot names....every single plum streetlight :astonished::wink:

Edit: Also incase you don't know already, not every item from the EPs are in CAW, depending on what you have in mind, you might need to download some or add it yourself - it doesn't count as CC as its already in the game, just not accessible. I got a scarecrow that was in Riverview (i think) cause I needed it for my farming area :smile: And if you did already know that then...cool *thumbs up* :love:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
    Sorry for double post but my one above is a bit big :blush:

You might have discovered this already but I found it very helpful when it came to spawners -
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:Content_Lists:CAW_Content_Lists
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches

You might have discovered this already but I found it very helpful when it came to spawners -

OOH I LOVE THAT PAGE! Just bookmarked it!

I did not know that all items are not in CAW. I guess they stopped updating it after awhile?

OOH I LOVE THAT PAGE! Just bookmarked it!

I did not know that all items are not in CAW. I guess they stopped updating it after awhile?

I'm not sure. I'm no expert but from what I've gathered there's a few simple objects, even from the base game, not included, like benches for example. I found none in CAW and wanted to create little gardens without them actually being on lots. I got some from MTS in the end, one from WA and two from the base game.

I believe it's the same with roads and paths - (if you're not creating your own) - those from EPs, like Bridgeport's roads, won't be in CAW either.

Glad you liked the link :smile:

pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I remember making my first world in CAW and it ended up being called Gibsons.I've been using it for an active legacy and it's been very stable so far.I've made two other worlds that became legacy towns called Winfield and Oak Leaf.I'm working on another one and won't be placing lots in CAW though I've never had any trouble with blank worlds like that.I used Sunset Valley's terrain map for my first world and made my own terrains for the other worlds.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited February 2017
    It may be 2017 but I still give kudos to anyone brave enough to build their own world. ;) I really like what you did with the terrain in that wooded area. It could lead to a nice secluded camping area.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It looks so pretty so far!
    edited February 2017
    Is this really your first world? It looks great! I like the 'thickness' of the forest here and the sunken pathway:

screenshot_original.jpg

Hope you'll continue giving us updates here.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Is this really your first world? It looks great! I like the 'thickness' of the forest here and the sunken pathway:

screenshot_original.jpg

Hope you'll continue giving us updates here.

LOL it is! And this was mostly by accident!! I was playing around with the terrain tools, not really having a plan, and I swear I zoomed out and saw that pathway! Then got fancy with the terrain paints.

It's really fun. Except when you've been working for 20 minutes and then CAW crashes. So this is actually the second version of the mountain, but I like it better!

It could be a good camping area, I built a small lot with two picnic tables, a grill, and a bathhouse at the top! I should add a shower to it.

Thanks for the positive feedback!
    I think that's a very important aspect of being creative: having an eye for what happens coincidently and use it :smile: Too bad the program crashes so often. Other than that it's an absolutely great tool. I'd love them to bring it back in a successor, in a somewhat more user friendly way ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think that's a very important aspect of being creative: having an eye for what happens coincidently and use it :smile: Too bad the program crashes so often. Other than that it's an absolutely great tool. I'd love them to bring it back in a successor, in a somewhat more user friendly way ;)

Or at the very least, bring it out of "Beta"!