Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I make what I want?

Hey I have a bit of an issue with creating content and whether I should keep making what I like or what would be popular. Yesterday I released artwork and it has gotten very little downloads (about 10) and usually thats the case when I make something I really like but when I make something I dont really like but I know would be popular it blows up with hundreds to thousands of downloads. I don't feel good about posting content no one likes but I would hate to post content I personally don't like.

Comments

• Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    I think it is important to enjoy what you make. Where do you post your CC?
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »
    I think it is important to enjoy what you make. Where do you post your CC?

Tumblr
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I think you'd have more downloads on TSR or MTS. For the simple reason that only very young simmers visit Tumblr very regularly.
    Personally, I'm only 32 but I already feel too old for that, I visit Tumblr only if I know what kind of download I want. Other than visiting some directories or for a specific download, I avoid Tumblr like the plague because of the number of aggressive and toxic attitudes there, and also the number of downloads hosted somewhere where you can easily catch a virus. And I know many people my age or older who say the same. There are even a few who don't even know that Tumblr exists despite being very active on Internet. I know practically nobody on Tumblr over 25 years old, and this might limit your fans to almost only the youngest ones.
    Not sure if that's one of the reasons, but it might be.
  • Options
    I meant can you provide a link? I would be happy to promote you here on the boards.
  • Options
    I meant can you provide a link? I would be happy to promote you here on the boards.

Sure, thanks.
    http://lovelydia101.tumblr.com/post/157385572426/hello-yet-again-i-was-feeling-up-to-making-some
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    @lovejess2 I was looking at your site and noticed that when I click downloads, the only piece of CC that comes up is your Yuko Rais Portraits. I can't access your other CC from there.
  • Options
    @lovejess2 I was looking at your site and noticed that when I click downloads, the only piece of CC that comes up is your Yuko Rais Portraits. I can't access your other CC from there.

Oh yeah well I haven't had the time to fix up my blog so that download page isn't really active. Sorry about that but I do hope to get to it soon.
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Yes, you should absolutely make what you want. It's not worth it in the long run if you can't feel the passion for what you're trying to put out there. Sure, there's times where you do something different so you can learn but then there are other projects that seem like a fun idea only for you to look back in retrospect and think "God, why did I waste my time on this?" (That's the worst feeling.) It's your content in the end, so your take is more important than ours. I just left my piece here as food for thought.
  • Options
    mercimerci Posts: 60 Member
    if youre doing it for income and popularity, then u should make what hte people want
    if youre just doing it for fun, then make what you want. if you always bend your will to other people, you will get bent out of shape and become unhappy. if you want to make what they want, you can give yourself incentive for it or maybe do CC trades with people or just do them less like a "follower's gift"
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I used to post my cc on tumblr when I first started out and it is definitely all about the trends and what's popular on tumblr. I created a hair and recolours for a get together closet and they got about 300+ notes which was surprising since I had no followers. Later I posted recolours of a chair and it got about 30 notes. I would say it is very important you tag your posts with lots of hashtags and maybe tag @sssvitlans because she has a massive following and you'll get noticed.

Right now I'm on modthesims, I got tired of running a tumblr and altogether I have 15,000 downloads for 8 posts. You definitely get more attention, however if you make CAS cc, the Sims resource is definitely a better choice, CAS cc is kind of ignored on modthesims.

I get what you mean about people liking the posts you don't like as much or put less effort into. I literally symmetrised a mesh in blender and got so much praise for it and then barely any praise for the mesh I put effort into and really liked.