Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Colour Wheel or Open Worlds?

Comments

• CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Open world. That was once of my favourite things about TS3, everything was so quick and easy to get to.
    giphy_1.gif
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Neither. Don't miss either.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Color wheel was nice, but I'm indecisive and spent too much time in CASt due to the plethora of options. I miss open world and would like to see it return if TS5 ever happens.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2017
    TS4 is TS4, I don't expect either to return within this iteration. However, honestly, I feel TS5 needs to bring back both, without any issues or caveats.

The Sims, and really every series for that matter, has progressively introduced new, monumental features, and has had a history of carrying those features over to the next game. A few examples of these bigger features are genetics, generational gameplay, and 3D Sims. I feel Sims 3 has carried over all of the important TS2 features, while adding its own, monumental features, too. These are the open world and CASt/color wheel.

For EA to completely forget about these two features just completely shuns all of the progress that was made with TS3, and really, in my opinion, invalidates calling this game The Sims 4 in many ways.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    TS4 is TS4, I don't expect either to return within this iteration. However, honestly, I feel TS5 needs to bring back both, without any issues or caveats.

The Sims, and really every series for that matter, has progressively introduced new, monumental features, and has had a history of carrying those features over to the next game. A few examples of these bigger features are genetics, generational gameplay, and 3D Sims. I feel Sims 3 has carried over all of the important TS2 features, while adding its own, monumental features, too. These are the open world and CASt/color wheel.

For EA to completely forget about these two features just completely shuns all of the progress that was made with TS3, and really, in my opinion, invalidates calling this game The Sims 4 in many ways.

Sims 3 didn't carry over anything important from sims 2 and that was the sims themselves and how they acted in their world. Sims 3 made 0 progress in terms of the sims game itself. In fact, it lost everything that the sims was about. The sims themselves.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2017
    fullspiral wrote: »

Sims 3 didn't carry over anything important from sims 2 and that was the sims themselves and how they acted in their world. Sims 3 made 0 progress in terms of the sims game itself. In fact, it lost everything that the sims was about. The sims themselves.

Well, that's just incorrect.

Objectively speaking, Sims 3 carried on many major, new TS2 features including 3D Sims, generational gameplay, genetics, family trees, toddlers, and creating new lots/increased world management. These did not originate with The Sims 1. Then it also carried over the smaller features, like cars, for instance. Again, it carried on many TS1 features, obviously, as abandoning the roots of the game to a wide scale completely changes the title itself.

The Sims 4 claims to be focused on the Sims themselves through the emotion system, however, and this is my opinion mixed with objective fact, the Sims are, as a whole, not any more intelligent than Sims 3 Sims. A Sim in the active family, with a strong relationship to all other active members, can die in TS4, and those same Sims will not react at all if it had not witnessed it. They will walk right past the tombstone like it's nothing. This is just one, small example. There are many instances where Sims 4 Sims are just delusional to the world around them. And, for a game that claims to be all about the Sims themselves, and literally abandons focus on all else, this simply cannot happen. AI should have been top notch. Unfortunately, there is this, and the many bugs and inconveniences which the emotion system and multitasking, the only two monumental features of The Sims 4's gameplay, brings.

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I like the idea of both, colourwheels for creating, open worlds for game play. Opacity control would be nice as well. Some sort of sliders as in Sims2 would be excellent. The current grab and pull does not work as well as Maxis thinks it does.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    A color wheel should be standard at this point. It was a fundamental selling point of Sims 3 that was abandoned without any kind of plan on how to adapt the game. It's bad enough when you have styles that don't match, but when you can't even coordinate colors you're left with little options for using that content.

I can deal with loading screens, but the setup of their worlds is just terrible. If we had to go back to a setup similar to The Sims 2, they could have at least matched the functionality available in that game. Will we ever be able to place our own lots? Probably not. Will we ever be able to add "sub-hoods/worlds"? Probably not. Will we ever be able to edit the worlds? Probably not. So we lost the open world, and didn't get anything to make up for that.

Given the high demand for a world creator in 2009, it's nothing short of intentional negligence that such a tool wasn't planned for this game as a standalone tool or a part of the game itself. Of course eliminating these creative options only stands to benefit EA, literally, because they can charge $40 for a tiny city claiming it's bigger and better than anything we've ever seen before. Yeah, give the community a world creator and they will undoubtably create a much better city that runs just as well as a Maxis one, if not better.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member

Well, that's just incorrect.

Objectively speaking, Sims 3 carried on many major, new TS2 features including 3D Sims, generational gameplay, genetics, family trees, toddlers, and creating new lots/increased world management. These did not originate with The Sims 1. Then it also carried over the smaller features, like cars, for instance. Again, it carried on many TS1 features, obviously, as abandoning the roots of the game to a wide scale completely changes the title itself.

The Sims 4 claims to be focused on the Sims themselves through the emotion system, however, and this is my opinion mixed with objective fact, the Sims are, as a whole, not any more intelligent than Sims 3 Sims. A Sim in the active family, with a strong relationship to all other active members, can die in TS4, and those same Sims will not react at all if it had not witnessed it. They will walk right past the tombstone like it's nothing. This is just one, small example. There are many instances where Sims 4 Sims are just delusional to the world around them. And, for a game that claims to be all about the Sims themselves, and literally abandons focus on all else, this simply cannot happen. AI should have been top notch. Unfortunately, there is this, and the many bugs and inconveniences which the emotion system and multitasking, the only two monumental features of The Sims 4's gameplay, brings.

Also aging and weight gain which also originated in TS2 and has carried over since then.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

The Sims 3 borrowed quite heavily from The Sims 2. The problem you're focusing on is an issue with AI, which was not borrowed from Sims 2 it was developed to work with the personality trait system introduced in Sims 3.

Sims 4 also has a weak AI, but it's only made worse with pointless traits and aspirations layered on top. Sims 4 hides its robotic sims by using over the top animations; it makes them appear more lively, but doesn't make them any less robotic in their execution.
  • Sierrah01Sierrah01 Posts: 3 New Member
    I have always wanted the open worlds and color wheels on this game. I find it hard to enjoy the game without those things. I really hope the sims 4 would have these soon.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Building and decorating houses is my main enjoyment when playing the Sims. Without a colour wheel to use while decorating, my enjoyment has pretty much diminished to the point of never wanting to open Sims 4. I never feel the same satisfaction in Sims 4 while decorating houses with colours and colour combinations I wouldn't choose myself so a colour wheel, even if external to the game, would improve the game totally for me.
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    Open the world at least a little more where you don't have to see a lot and actually see a loading screen.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd like to see a color wheel. Sure, I like an open world but it actually doesn't bother me not to have it. Loading screens don't last long for me and I like how whenever I get to a place, there are plenty of other Sims around. In 3's open world, while I enjoyed it, sometimes there weren't people around or there would be no one that my Sims really knew.

I remember playing Bridgeport as an actress who got very famous and who married a famous actor from the game (so they had really high-level fame). Some sort of glitch occurred where no one would show up at the nightclubs, not even the bartenders to serve them drinks. Eventually, I found that they were all pooled up in one lot on the edge of the city, like 30 NPC Sims milling around. It was unplayable. I ended up quitting the series for a long while.

I'm glad that my Sims can go out into a restaurant and run into people that they know who tend to show up where they do. I won't just rave about this version of the game though. The bugs are annoying and hopefully, they'll focus on fixing them. Also, as I play it more, I am missing the variety of colors and patterns in 3 which could make the same object feel fresh and new just by changing it. You could hit the random button repeatedly until you found some unique design for a lamp. Yeah, I'd like to see that again in this version.

Sims 4 objects generally look gorgeous but it would be great to see some greater variety like you have in 3. I also agree about the ambivalence towards family members' deaths as being jarring. Reactions to death are pretty inconsistent. Memories of major life events (marriage, death, children, job loss, illness, cheating, arguing, divorce, etc) would be useful and don't have to be counter to the emotions system at all. They should add them to bring more depth to the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    This is a hard choice. I'm playing sims again after a 1-2 year break that I thought was permanent. I learned about toddlers a few days ago, and gave it another try and I see a lot of the small things that made it annoying are fixed, and with that and toddlers, the game isn't so bad anymore. I can probably survive this round (sims 4) without open worlds, so my choice is to have color wheel, because that bothers me a lot, now, when I can't choose my own colors. Im a family player and builder and decorator. They're what I enjoy the most. I can spend days building and decorating the perfect house for my family. I can build it, but not decorate it perfectly. Bummer.

They build a new game engine with every sims iteration, so they can build a better open world than the sims 3. You can't compare how it worked in the past on a different game engine. Newer tech, better game.

I know that neither can happen, because developers already said it's impossible to add color wheel, and the most they can do with open word is to have open neighborhoods; the might be able to do this, so no load screen when you visit next door neighbor.

Shoot! Sorry for the long post!
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Colour wheel.

I love and hate the colour wheel.

I will start building and tell myself I will quit at 12am (for example). The next thing I know, it is 4am because I am too busy customizing everything.

I rarely leave the home lot and get annoyed when my sims get the urge to travel. But the second I build... Oh mercy me.

I'll take CASt over open world any day.

But one thing must be added: the ability to build and customize the world.

I'll give up open world in a heartbeat if those requirements are met.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member

And yet "the Sims themselves" in this iteration can't even sit down to watch a movie. :D
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    jusMeh wrote: »

And yet "the Sims themselves" in this iteration can't even sit down to watch a movie. :D

I'd like to know what was important that was carried over. I was an avid S2 fan and S3 was forgone altogether due to my fandom. Then 4 came out. Liked it at first. Suddenly realized it wasn't for me and went two steps forward and one step back due to 4 not carrying anything over for me.

Granted, I miss closets and a normal cup a joe. Other than that, I play rotationally and build to my heart's content in 3 just like I did in 2. Can't do that in 4 due to monthly patches and no ability to customize worlds (or created them). Simply not interested in waiting for mods to update every month and not interested in waiting for months on end for bugs to be fixed. Been there. Done that. And done.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    If we had a color wheel we wouldn't need so much CC because we could match things. As for open world, I think a compromise between the two would be a better idea, sections rather than having loading with every house.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    I prefer the color wheel back the fact that i'm used to that loading screen after 2 yrs or more. I can't denied my game runs so much smoother without open world compared to TS3.

The Sims Game
  • TJKazuha09TJKazuha09 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm suspecting they are going to add color wheel or something like it later when we get stylist/architect job. Maybe they want to add more value on stylist by removing those color wheels.
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    I would immmediately vote for "Open World" ... at least in a limited form where all lots where Sims of your Household are located will get fully similated at the same time (so that you, for example, can give Sim 1 in Lot A some orders, then jump to Lot B where Sim 2 is located and, while you are in Lot B, Sim 1 in Lot A works on the task queue you have given him (and only then becomes an autonomous actor (creating his own tasks), when his task queue is empty))

Unfortunately I suspect that it would require too much programming on the engine in order to get open world (even in he limited form I proposed) working
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    Open worlds. But, what I'd really like is a playable sims3. I literally spend more time diagnosing the solution to unique bugs than I do playing the game. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother when no other game puts me through so much turmoil.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Color wheel things not matching really bothers me I end up using the same things over and over.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Okay so I've been in CAS and build and buy lately for most of my gameplay and have gotten annoyed at the lack of color wheel. It's difficult to match clothes, accessories, funiture, and decor with just a few swatches. So right now I'm feeling desperate for a color wheel.

I loved open world in TS3 but I'd be happy with even a semi open world. Waiting through a loading screen just to visit my neighbor's apartment across the hall is pretty ridiculous. Forgotten Hollow and Magnolia Promenade are so small they shouldn't even have loading screens. If just the neighborhoods within the worlds were open that'd be great. I wouldn't mind a loading screen while traveling from the Spice District to the Art District within San Myshuno.