Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need a new PC. Recommendations?

NyosimNyosim Posts: 816 Member
edited February 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hi tech-savvy Simmers,

Apologies in advance for any typos or general weirdness, I'm tying via iPhone.

Anyway, there's a good chance my current machine isn't salvageable, crashed just last night.

Will these machines be able to run TS2, TS3 and TS4 efficiently? I've reread the recommended specs for each game over but I just want to play it safe and ask you guys first :)

CyberPower Gamer Ultra Desktop

iBuyPower i7 16 GB RAM 1 TB HD Desktop

iBuyPower i5 16 GB RAM 1 TB HD Desktop

I'd like to spend about $800 - $1000.

Thanks in advance!
900woh.png

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Custom computer would be better where you pick out your own certified hardware. When you buy off the shelf you get generic hardware. speak to @chesterbigbird . You can send her a PM. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/chesterbigbird She can help you set up a custom configuration, the custom company will build her configuration. Cyberpower direct is having sales and they charge no tax outside CA
  • NyosimNyosim Posts: 816 Member
    When you buy off the shelf you get generic hardware.

Out of curiousity, what's considered generic? Aren't Nvidia, Intel, etc. trusted brands?
    speak to @chesterbigbird . You can send her a PM. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/chesterbigbird She can help you set up a custom configuration, the custom company will build her configuration. Cyberpower direct is having sales and they charge no tax outside CA

Will look into Cyberpower sale and speak with @chesterbigbird, thank you for the heads up.

900woh.png
    edited February 2017
    Generic means stock. It's not certified name brand hardware. Certified is always better. Custom computers are always better than off the shelf. Chester is a custom expert computer builder. I have two custom cyberpower computers in my house. I had chester configure both desktops.

You also don't need an i7 for these games. You can go with an i5 to save money and place that money elsewhere in the computer. The case and cooling is just as important as the hardware inside. You get to choose all this when going custom. You should have a certified Power Supply, certified CPU cooler, certified ram ect. These are things you will not get off the shelf with stock hardware.

edited February 2017
    @phoebebebe13 Thanks for clarifying the generic question and for the i5 tip :)

Do you play other games besides the Sims? Or do you use video and photo editing programs, etc. because I imagine that would affect a build by quite a bit.
    900woh.png
    Your welcome. I only play the sims on my computer and a few others off of steam. Nothing really heavy. I have an EVGA GTX 960 superclock 4gb card , 16 gb ram and i5 4000 series cpu. My son has run the witcher 3 and GTA V and a few others on this computer. He now has a a much beefier PC but he heavy games.

Tell chester what you want the computer for and she will tell you exactly what you need.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    edited February 2017
    Just popping in to say that I run photo editing software (and try to avoid video editing) on mine. Worth 16GB RAM over 8GB for even just the photo editing, and my files are only 16Mb. Gets rid of tons of lag in the process. I've been seeing a lot of recommendations that if you edit 4K video footage -- which I doubt many of us here are! -- you can tell the difference between 16 and 32 (and nothing I've seen suggests anything below an i7 CPU for that either).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited February 2017
    @phoebebebe13 and @luthienrising, thanks again for all your input!

@chesterbigbird got back to me with a PM with a custom build, and I couldn't be happier with the result! :)
    900woh.png
    Your welcome and Awesome. Enjoy your new PC :)
    Your welcome and Awesome. Enjoy your new PC :)

Oh no I actually couldn't order it today, apparently I hit some sort of bump in the road and now I need to wait about a week or two to resolve it. :s
    900woh.png
    Oh well good luck when you get it. :D Those custom links only last 7 days. If the link is no good when your ready to buy just let chester know and she will redo the PC for you
    edited February 2017
    (Edited some typos)

Alright so here's the details on that bump in the road:

Recently, someone tried to use my credit card to buy a huge flatscreen under my name. Thankfully my credit union called me in time to alert me to this, because the thief was having to the TV sent to an address somewhere two states away from my own . . . while the billing addresse (read: me) had just physically bought a shirt with my CC in my local mall lol.

I've been working overtime to make sure something like this never happens to me again and to make sure this jerk doesn't come after anyone else in my family. For now my family and I were cautioned to not purchase anything online for quite a while, so any PC purchases has to be an off the shelf one.

so @chesterbigbird @phoebebebe13 @luthienrising I just wanted the time to say thank you all again for the advice and help.

Also for anyone reading, please keep an eye on your finances!!! I wouldn't wish this on anyone. :(
    900woh.png
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited February 2017
    Nyosim wrote: »
    (Edited some typos)

Alright so here's the details on that bump in the road:

Recently, someone tried to use my credit card to buy a huge flatscreen under my name. Thankfully my credit union called me in time to alert me to this, because the thief was having to the TV sent to an address somewhere two states away from my own . . . while the billing addresse (read: me) had just physically bought a shirt with my CC in my local mall lol.

I've been working overtime to make sure something like this never happens to me again and to make sure this jerk doesn't come after anyone else in my family. For now my family and I were cautioned to not purchase anything online for quite a while, so any PC purchases has to be an off the shelf one.

so @chesterbigbird @phoebebebe13 @luthienrising I just wanted the time to say thank you all again for the advice and help.

Also for anyone reading, please keep an eye on your finances!!! I wouldn't wish this on anyone. :(

It sounds odd that they cautioned your family also, these things happen to allot of people everyday, i doubt it has to do with your family.
    It has actually happen to me twice. Once was for $100 worth of itunes credit..(i didn't even own a iphone or ipod at the time.) that money was refunded by the bank after i reported it. The other was after my family had deposited $500 into my bank account for a birthday present and someone decided that i gift them that money through paypal.. which i did not LOL.
    Anyway that money was also refunded. All that was needed was to change passwords for everything and of course cancel my card.
    Did you cancel your credit card? if not then that's a mistake. you dont need to cancel your account just get issued a new card with new card number. well that's how it's done here anyway LOL. but please do talk to your bank about cancelling the card.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

It sounds odd that they cautioned your family also, these things happen to allot of people everyday, i doubt it has to do with your family.

I didn't think about it too much, they probably meant it in “Set up some safety measures, better safe than sorry!" kind of way. Sort of like buying lanterns and dry food for when a storm occurs.

It has actually happen to me twice. Once was for $100 worth of itunes credit..(i didn't even own a iphone or ipod at the time.) that money was refunded by the bank after i reported it. The other was after my family had deposited $500 into my bank account for a birthday present and someone decided that i gift them that money through paypal.. which i did not LOL.
    Anyway that money was also refunded. All that was needed was to change passwords for everything and of course cancel my card.
    Did you cancel your credit card? if not then that's a mistake. you dont need to cancel your account just get issued a new card with new card number. well that's how it's done here anyway LOL. but please do talk to your bank about cancelling the card.

Oh I'm currently doing everything under the Sun in order to preserve my credit and sanity lol. Processing clearly takes a while to settle.

I'm just happy the union froze my card in time so I didn't get plummed over $700. It's really unsettling thought, realizing there are people out there willing to ruin your life over a piece of plastic.

I'm glad you weren't affected too much!!
    900woh.png
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Nyosim wrote: »

I didn't think about it too much, they probably meant it in “Set up some safety measures, better safe than sorry!" kind of way. Sort of like buying lanterns and dry food for when a storm occurs.

Oh I'm currently doing everything under the Sun in order to preserve my credit and sanity lol. Processing clearly takes a while to settle.

I'm just happy the union froze my card in time so I didn't get plummed over $700. It's really unsettling thought, realizing there are people out there willing to ruin your life over a piece of plastic.

I'm glad you weren't affected too much!!

It happens unfortunately.
    People can steal your card info very easily these days. My bank didn't stop any of the transactions unfortunately, I had to fill out a form and then wait a week or 2 to get the money back. People can be real scum.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide