Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need more WHIMSY!!!

I've been playing Sims since the 1st game and the thing that drew me in back then was the weird quirky-ness! [And no I'm not talking about "some random sim showing up in a swimsuit and a lucha mask" weirdness]

I miss the weirdness of the Makin Magic expansion, or the hilarity of the stripper cake item. The revenge from the offended sim in Sims 2, like having your paper stolen or things like that.

I don't know, my love of Sims always stemmed from the hilarity and unbelievable-ness of it. Something the first 2 series' had [TS3 had it too, to an extent].
To me, playing normal life is sort of boring. I love family play but just playing out average daily life is kind of boring.

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I miss the grudges of TS2 sims.
    I miss how when they hated someone, they really hated them, no nice chats after a fight.
    Jnyx wrote: »
    To me, playing normal life is sort of boring.
    This.
    If I wanted normal life, I'd get off my PC, and go live my normal life.
    My sims are for an abnormal life.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2017
    I agree, the sims interactions are pretty shallow in comparison to sims 1 and 2. I especially don't like the fact that sims don't have any kind of memory or self awareness of their own interactions with other sims and who they are mad at etc.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • authorflyauthorfly Posts: 18 New Member
    I had little of that early on in my first sims 4 play through. My guy proposed to his girlfriend and she shot him down hard, then he just kind of died of embarrassment right there. It came so far out of left field for me the only response was well that just happened.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited February 2017
    If they can do it in a non tacky way though, I liked the idea of all that stuff, but when I look back at it all, it was more cringe worthy and annoying, than funny.

Like I would mind cake Strippers if their moves were more suggestive, which some of the sims 4 dance moves are.

I would love thieves, wouldn't mind them breaking in and taking something I actually care about. And if they do take something of actual value allow me to rip them to shreads, before the police arrives even with the right skills my sim would still panic and watch the burglar take the stuff and let them get away than fight them.

However it's conflicting when the game decides to put in quirky into a controlled story, going against the script. Although sometimes it works but most times nope.

But I would love more brow raising, suggestive quirkiness that is laughable like when a cop is patting down and searching a criminal they pull out a chopping knife, a baseball bat, frying pan something that seems like they could at least hurt other sims
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • 14hours14hours Posts: 82 Member

Little things like stripper cakes and whatnot will be added over time. Remember that Sims 4 has only been out for two years.

In the mean time though, you might want to look at this petition:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/899288/likes-turn-ons-and-fears-oh-my-petition/p1
    I think this is a really good idea and would fix a lot of personality and realism issues people have.
    B6dXq3o.png
  • I disagree. The Sims is a life simulator and should be as realistic as possible. No more ghost, alien, vampire nonsense.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    You haven't lived until you've deprived random sims of their bladder need with the vampire powers.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    14hours wrote: »
    Little things like stripper cakes and whatnot will be added over time. Remember that Sims 4 has only been out for two years.

In the mean time though, you might want to look at this petition:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/899288/likes-turn-ons-and-fears-oh-my-petition/p1
    I think this is a really good idea and would fix a lot of personality and realism issues people have.

I disagree about the stripper cake. Unless my memory is failing me, we never got those back in Sims 3. They have made this game more child-friendly over the years (to its detriment) and so holding grudges, strippers, etc. are probably a thing of the past.

• PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I disagree. The Sims is a life simulator and should be as realistic as possible. No more ghost, alien, vampire nonsense.

This is why I still wish supernaturals would come with toggle switches. I REALLY like the vampire pack because of the new pipe organ skill, new fish and harvestables, and seriously awesome amount of cool build items, plus pretty hair and clothing options. But I have zero interest in vampires themselves, and do not want to see my town over run with them, they way ghosts are absolutely everywhere. Let me have all the wonderful treats, without the annoying vampires themselves. It's the reason I still never bought Get to Work. All that great stuff, but I don't want aliens every where.

Toggle switches, please!
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • DeerLordDeerLord Posts: 236 Member
    I disagree. The Sims is a life simulator and should be as realistic as possible. No more ghost, alien, vampire nonsense.
    Then Sims should continue to be allowed to live in their own ridiculous fantasy world like some real people choose to :*

• AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    I love the life states. If I wanted to be in the real world I'd be outside, not inside playing with my fantasy people. The real world is boring.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Andygal wrote: »
    I love the life states. If I wanted to be in the real world I'd be outside, not inside playing with my fantasy people. The real world is boring.

Because the Outernet is scary!
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

For someone who wants more realism, you really whine a lot in other discussions about realism in the game.
    You might not like ghosts, aliens and vampires, but it is still fantasy that you want your game to contain.

As people have suggested, if you want reality, you can just go outside.
    Or maybe
    Because the Outernet is scary!
    You'd rather stay inside with your fantasy sims. :)

Personally, I hope they add witches and werewolves soon.
    And grudges. And drums. I really want a drumkit.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I honestly don't mind that people like the fantastical side of the Sims.
    I am however getting a bit miffed at the implication that the game was designed soley for that audience.

Realism players, task oriented players, plate juggling strategists and grinders...we were here first.
    Some of you would have hated the Sims 1 base game if it weren't for the expansions.
  • MeepMorpMeepMorp Posts: 85 Member
    I agree. Even though I'm someone who likes Sims to be realistic and loves having tons of normal life stuff, I also like to break with this sometimes and play all the fantasy Sims or just really weird Sims. It's fun to do both and I'm glad the Sims games offer things for both players. I really miss these things that made the old Sims games so whimsical.

Today it's way more "in your face!! WEIRDER STORIES!!!" and while I do appreciate the emotional deaths (they suprised me in the most unexpected ways so far) I also would like if it were toned down in some places. For instance ghosts calling right out of the grave to invite a Sim to parties is just too much. I guess it's just a bug though.

I'd love to have grudges and fears back and I really miss old Ms. Crumplebottom and the breakdowns when the aspiration meter was low, not to mention the epic brawls and drama going on between two Sims that hated each other. More negative or weird traits would also help I bet.

It was different in the older games. I can't really put my finger on it, but the original Sims game (Base game, as well as the expansions) had a really special atmosphere going on. Even the mundane everyday stuff was somehow special. It was all so fun to explore because something unexpected and wild could happen. And I don't talk out of a place of nostalgia. I recently just played it and it's still there. Sims 2 has this as well. Sims 2 does this even better in some places because these Sims are really weird and their memory/personality/attraction/wants-and-fears systems shape them into pretty interesting people.

There is this certain feeling to it, that something more is going on. It doesn't tell you everything whats going on unlike Sims 4 where an emotion interface stares right into your face, telling you how your Sim feels instead of leaving this up to your interpretation or where you get tips and hints everywhere... or when everything is just drowned out by happy moodlets just because you don't want your Sims to life in a garbage bin.

That is something I greatly miss in Sims 4. Just this weird atmosphere alone, the subtlety in some places and the possibility to really ruin a Sims life, lol.

Something feels off when Sims 4 tries to pull unexpected and weird and often times it feels more annoying than natural. I have no idea how they achieved that... maybe it's the sheer oversaturation because if there is one weird thing then it's (like I said before) just totally "IN YOUR FACE!!!" or it bugs out in the most ridiculous way. The older games handled this stuff way more gracefully and naturally.

A recent example of well done (in my opinion) in Sims 4 is the vampire break in (when it works... if not it's just as annoying) when it works it's something unexpected and actually a great moment to watch and experience.
  • JnyxJnyx Posts: 273 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I am however getting a bit miffed at the implication that the game was designed soley for that audience.

Realism players, task oriented players, plate juggling strategists and grinders...we were here first.
    Some of you would have hated the Sims 1 base game if it weren't for the expansions.

There were people that played the fantastical side since to the beginning too. There is never just one type of people that play a game. So no, realistic players weren't "here first". And honestly even if you were it doesn't matter.

Everyone plays the Sims differently, don't get all high and mighty just because you think the way you play a video game is more correct than others.
    edited February 2017
    Jnyx wrote: »

There were people that played the fantastical side since to the beginning too. There is never just one type of people that play a game. So no, realistic players weren't "here first". And honestly even if you were it doesn't matter.

Everyone plays the Sims differently, don't get all high and mighty just because you think the way you play a video game is more correct than others.

Your interpretation of what I said is slightly askew.
    In fact my message was just the opposite of what you think I was portraying.
    People that play "my way" have been a dying breed since the days of BV.

My point is there was no fantastical side to the Sims one base game.
    (none to speak of anyway)
    There are still people left who fell in love with the boring old vanilla grind that the game started out as.

Some of the remarks in this thread were a bit disparaging toward "my style" of play.
    Hence the public service announcement for all the strategists and grinders still left.

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree with the original post. The TS4 doesn't have that special quirky feel to it. It may do a poor attempt with "angry poops" and "pee like a champion" I think that one of the issues is there is no consequences that last longer than 5 minutes in game time. Heck even death isn't permanent. I like the sims 4 but I won't deny it's my least favourite of all four series.
    The sims need to have memories, they need (and should) care about what's going on around them and I don't think they do care.

There's so many items I would love to see return, I don't have high hopes for the stripper cake though as the romance in the sims 4 is turned down as it is.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I would like to see more consequences as in the past. Like when the power is out I want to see Sims boohoo because they can't play video games. It doesn't phase them. If this were TS1 they would have been invaded by sad clowns by now, because they wouldn't stop crying because the power is off. I mean shouldn't all the food spoil in the fridge if the power is off several days? And shouldn't that Sim been mad, upset, crying since all their food is gone. Shouldn't they do more than just complain to a different Sim who doesn't care if it is or not?

I want my evil Sims to stop wishing to be friends but wish someone is dead. They are evil. Evil in this game doesn't make any sense at all. It could be whimsical but at least make them stop wishing to be friends with enemies. They are evil.

Insane Sims don't really do anything insane, sometimes they talk to themselves but it's not funny. Mine always get a romance moodlet...that's not very insane if you ask me. I want to see them act insane. Slide down the banister, sleep in a hole, or on the stairs, anything, do something insane out of the normal range of other Sims. Run around like they have lost it, in a circle. Why make them the same as other Sims with just moodlets that any other Sim can get for any other reason. Jump off the staircase over and over...they aren't supposed to be nice, normal Sims who get romantic more than not. Why call them insane for that? It might have sounded good but implemented leaves much to be desired.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Your interpretation of what I said is slightly askew.
    In fact my message was just the opposite of what you think I was portraying.
    People that play "my way" have been a dying breed since the days of BV.

My point is there was no fantastical side to the Sims one base game.
    (none to speak of anyway)
    There are still people left who fell in love with the boring old vanilla grind that the game started out as.

Some of the remarks in this thread were a bit disparaging toward "my style" of play.
    Hence the public service announcement for all the strategists and grinders still left.

Was it really grindy back in the day? I don't understand the appeal, honestly, but I know a lot of people love that sort of thing. Strategy I understand enjoyment of, but grind for the sake of grind, I never have.

I don't know what BV is by initials, but I know games did trend away from "punishing" gameplay as the audience got more and more broad. Even I think they take it too far sometimes (they meaning developers in general, not necessarily sims devs) and I'm almost entirely against punishing gameplay. I think there's a line where you can make something challenging without it being punishing, but some people aren't even interested in the challenge... they just want to mess around and do wacky things. Which is more what I end up using this game for... messing around and doing wacky things.

I like a good challenge, generally speaking, but there's something about this particular game (sims 4) that challenge doesn't appeal to me all that much. Perhaps because my real life is hard enough as it is and doing things that are challenging and too much like RL feels akin to repeating a hard day. Plus I spent so much time in grindy MMOs eking out efficiency that it's far too easy for me to slip into that mode if I get into the challenges deeply, with this game, and I just wind up feeling like I'm playing an MMO that has no actual point to it. Grind without even a reason to grind in the first place.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    I don't want to derail this thread further by continuing this conversation here.
    I only felt compelled to say something after I saw a few comments suggesting that this type of play is unwelcome in the Sims.

I do have an active thread in the off topic section...I'll respond to you there.
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    The sims 4 is still an on going series atm. We don't have everything yet. The sims 4 still has a quirky side like the other sims games do. I mean when a sim is giving birth there is a chance that the doctor might accidentally pull out your sims heart instead of the kid and just the face on your sim is just too good. When you play as an alien you can actually scare other sims with a "probe". I mean the grim reaper has a freezer bunny on his hip. These are just a few things I find to be funny in game. I can't wait to see what the future holds.
    edited February 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would like to see more consequences as in the past. Like when the power is out I want to see Sims boohoo because they can't play video games. It doesn't phase them. If this were TS1 they would have been invaded by sad clowns by now, because they wouldn't stop crying because the power is off. I mean shouldn't all the food spoil in the fridge if the power is off several days? And shouldn't that Sim been mad, upset, crying since all their food is gone. Shouldn't they do more than just complain to a different Sim who doesn't care if it is or not?

I want my evil Sims to stop wishing to be friends but wish someone is dead. They are evil. Evil in this game doesn't make any sense at all. It could be whimsical but at least make them stop wishing to be friends with enemies. They are evil.

Insane Sims don't really do anything insane, sometimes they talk to themselves but it's not funny. Mine always get a romance moodlet...that's not very insane if you ask me. I want to see them act insane. Slide down the banister, sleep in a hole, or on the stairs, anything, do something insane out of the normal range of other Sims. Run around like they have lost it, in a circle. Why make them the same as other Sims with just moodlets that any other Sim can get for any other reason. Jump off the staircase over and over...they aren't supposed to be nice, normal Sims who get romantic more than not. Why call them insane for that? It might have sounded good but implemented leaves much to be desired.

This. This is exactly how I feel. I find it bizarre my Good sims want to pick fights for no reason.

Consequences are lacking.
    LadyJester wrote: »
    The sims 4 is still an on going series atm. We don't have everything yet. The sims 4 still has a quirky side like the other sims games do. I mean when a sim is giving birth there is a chance that the doctor might accidentally pull out your sims heart instead of the kid and just the face on your sim is just too good. When you play as an alien you can actually scare other sims with a "probe". I mean the grim reaper has a freezer bunny on his hip. These are just a few things I find to be funny in game. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

To be fair the game doesn't need to be complete to feel quirky. The game is 3 expansions in, more than half a dozen stuff packs (although I could be wrong on that, I can't be bothered to check he precise number) and several game packs. If it's not got "it" by now than I don't have hope for it.

All I hope for is more personality, the game won't surpass the earlier versions in terms of personality for quite some time (if ever) for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.