Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The T rated argument...

Comments

• Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Yubell wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for murder in this game I could make some really sinister stories XD

I'm waiting for the 1-frame links from the aforementioned fighting games to be integrated. The Sims will finally become that "hardcore experience" that so many here have spun yarns about.

I really hoped for that In the sims 3 ever since the sims 2 and all the mysteries and strange stories Olive Spector and her garden of graves, skip brokes mysterious death, Bella's disappearance . it feels like as the francizes moves on it looses them cool and unique stories that got me hooked in the first place. I mean I used to be very afraid of the sims 2 ghosts because they were very dark, they could kill people and haunt, heck sims could smash erns and jump on graves what do we have now, boring ghosts that just walk up and downstairs for a few hours before disappearing again. It's lost that darkness to it and I don't really enjoy the games anymore because there is no more mysteries and stories.

I miss worlds having a backstory :/ I loved the pleasents, goths , caliente sisters and Don Lothario. That's what I also miss, having some messed up stories made the whole game more alive, especially with the memory system.

As a child I would sit in front of the computer of hours trying to solve them all and find bella XD I loved the mystery surrounded round the game I never got bored as soon as I completed one mystery it was onto the next and I guess that is the main reason why I am so bored of the game now there is no story to anyone everything is so cartoon and childlike...

The turn on an off system and the memory system really was the greatest sims feature to date gave them such character...

Lol was it even possible to find Bella? I tried so hard i never saw her. When I moved on to TS3 and they had turned the goths into kids, I was like "woaaaaaaah what just happened" it was awful. I honestly read all the back stories from the pre mades in TS4 and it was just so boring. I really miss the dark side of sims, it can't be all rainbows and unicorns all the time. And if we could have at least a memory system we could actually create those crazy stories ourselves but nooo, my sims don't need anything, they don't even need to make their beds anymore.

If you had the painting "bella squared" you had a chance of her visiting you I waited so long for her to show up and when she did I jumped in so much joy. XD

Are there any stories in the sims 4?

I mean the pre made families have a background story, but they don't seem to be linked to the rest of the world.

I had no idea about the painting lol ...
    21mbz47.jpg
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm just waiting for murder in this game I could make some really sinister stories XD

I'm waiting for the 1-frame links from the aforementioned fighting games to be integrated. The Sims will finally become that "hardcore experience" that so many here have spun yarns about.

I really hoped for that In the sims 3 ever since the sims 2 and all the mysteries and strange stories Olive Spector and her garden of graves, skip brokes mysterious death, Bella's disappearance . it feels like as the francizes moves on it looses them cool and unique stories that got me hooked in the first place. I mean I used to be very afraid of the sims 2 ghosts because they were very dark, they could kill people and haunt, heck sims could smash erns and jump on graves what do we have now, boring ghosts that just walk up and downstairs for a few hours before disappearing again. It's lost that darkness to it and I don't really enjoy the games anymore because there is no more mysteries and stories.

I miss worlds having a backstory :/ I loved the pleasents, goths , caliente sisters and Don Lothario. That's what I also miss, having some messed up stories made the whole game more alive, especially with the memory system.

As a child I would sit in front of the computer of hours trying to solve them all and find bella XD I loved the mystery surrounded round the game I never got bored as soon as I completed one mystery it was onto the next and I guess that is the main reason why I am so bored of the game now there is no story to anyone everything is so cartoon and childlike...

The turn on an off system and the memory system really was the greatest sims feature to date gave them such character...

Lol was it even possible to find Bella? I tried so hard i never saw her. When I moved on to TS3 and they had turned the goths into kids, I was like "woaaaaaaah what just happened" it was awful. I honestly read all the back stories from the pre mades in TS4 and it was just so boring. I really miss the dark side of sims, it can't be all rainbows and unicorns all the time. And if we could have at least a memory system we could actually create those crazy stories ourselves but nooo, my sims don't need anything, they don't even need to make their beds anymore.

If you had the painting "bella squared" you had a chance of her visiting you I waited so long for her to show up and when she did I jumped in so much joy. XD

Really! Has a kid i had gone through all the strange town stuff, finding her as a npc, taking her with simPe then adding her ... and i could just put a painting in my house and wait ? I must do that !
    Edit: There is some story, but they are ... normal i can say, you know, small couple trouble, or are they gonna find love stuff. Expect the villareal, might be why i like this familly.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    THANK YOU! <3 graham didn't sound like it was a problem with the actual rating
    YW. :smile:

Also, sort of related but not really... I wanted to expand on a thought in that post. Maybe it's just one of those "I want to give my hypothetical kids what I never had" things, but in my teen years, I really had no clue when it came to taboo subjects and I didn't really have anyone I felt I could talk to about it. I explored it anyway, of course, but it was that much harder to come to terms with. And the reason is because my parents were raised in an environment where their parents weren't comfortable discussing it and so they passed that down.

I was (lucky for my parents) one of those goody-two-shoes, straight-edge types in pretty much every way, so I didn't go and do crazy things. But there are so many kids who are not.

As it is, those taboo subjects are still difficult for me to talk about casually, to this day, and I'm in my twenties.

So just a sort of general note about what repression and lack of communication can do. (Not directed at anyone. I just felt like sharing it.)

You are right. My mom has been pretty liberal with me and thanks to that I've hardly had any real surprises in life and I'm ready for many things and I've avoided a lot of things cause I already know how many things work. You have no idea how many classmates I've got that have extremely conservative parents and they end up having a lot of problems cause they don't have the tools to protect themselves. That's why it's so important to face "the talk" that by the way even sims had in TS3 and prepare your kids, especially when they are teenagers. I'm also in my twenties :)
    Glad to hear it. :smile: It doesn't surprise me there are so many; it seems to be a pretty common theme, at least in my part of the world (the US - I don't know what country you live in). Hopefully the generation that came after us is having a better time with it, on average. I know classes on human sexuality have become more of a thing.

And yeah, that talk... funny thing is, my dad did try, bless his heart. He did try to give a talk. Unfortunately, he sounded more nervous and out of his element than I was listening, and I didn't learn much of anything from it, due to it being extremely vague. The poor guy lol.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    Well now that we have talked, if you think about the last woohoo Interaction they add in the Vampires gamepack... I mean, coffin is the place where people once died, can rest in peace :cold_sweat: it's really macabre and not a respectable thing in many cultures and religions.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    Well now that we have talked, if you think about the last woohoo Interaction they add in the Vampires gamepack... I mean, coffin is the place where people once died, can rest in peace :cold_sweat: it's really macabre and not a respectable thing in many cultures and religions.

um Sims can woohoo with ghosts.. so a Coffin whooing isn't off the mark. (IN the Sims 3 you could even have ghost babies, children and teens)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2017

And therefore it's great that it's optional, and nobody is forced to use it, ever. A game that can't possibly offend everybody would just end up being another Tetris clone.

EDIT: Not that I have anything against Tetris. Or will ever confess just how much sleep I lost to it once upon a time.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

What is filthy? Tattoos? Piercings? LGBT? I have no idea what you are against or have issues with what has been added.

There is not much that's already in the game that I don't approve of. My biggest issues are moaning during woohoo, teens being allowed romantic interactions and the gender patch.

It's proposed and rumored additions that worry me more, like the supposed inclusion of facial piercings and body hair.

1. I mean, they don't moan, they giggle and talk in simlish as if they were in the flirty emotion.
    2. Teens being able to do romantic interactions with other teens seems perfectly normal, not sure if you ever went to a high school but teens date, kiss, hold hands, flirt, and you know, woohoo.
    3. The gender patch is 100% personal opinion and the values you share are completely your own and I respect that, I'm not going to argue with that even though I disagree with you personally, I believe anyone should express themselves in any manner they choose, whether a boy wants to put on makeup and wear a dress or a girl wanting to wear plaid shirts and masculine jackets or someone wanting to be transgender. I don't think anyone should be judged or looked down upon for being who they want to be.
    4. Facial piercings, honestly don't see the issue
    5. Body hair... I mean ok

I don't see what this whole rated T for Teen thing is about, don't understand why you're making it a problem by saying "they shouldn't push the Teen rating", when in fact they are not. Like you and other people said, there are T rated games out there with much worse content, blood, swearing, violence, etc. The sims is only as bad as you make it, and the worst the game can really get isn't even bad, it's most likely funny, because the sims is a game with a comedic tone to it, everything in the game is comedic, from woohoo, to fighting, to blowing bubbles and even death.

If you find certain things controversial because of your beliefs then so be it, don't expose your children to it, but to assume that others share the same views as you (specifically talking about the gender patch reference you made) you are wrong, and looks like most sims players seem pretty supportive of this content/the LGBTQ+ community. So just because you don't approve doesn't mean others shouldn't either.

And can we please just take the time to realise that the gender patch, as much as it was pro LGBTQ+, was mainly added for sim customization, so if there's a male hat you'd like on a female sim then you can do that along with every other CAS item there is available, or if you want a more delicate looking male sim you can give him a female frame, doesn't necessarily mean they are transgender. Lastly, the fact you can enable male sims to become pregnant is just incredible. Beyond all of this that I mentioned it opened up the creative aspect of CAS so much more than it was before.

I know you said you are not trying to change others opinions and that you say you are respectful of them, but your arguments are coming off as if you are trying to change others opinions, your arguments are formatted somewhat like this, "here's my argument, ok I respect your opinion but here's my argument again just so you know where I'm coming from, oh ok hold on let me explain myself again," yes we understand your argument and a lot of us disagree with what you are trying to say or prove, that's basically it, if someone respectfully disagrees with someone else they normally move on.

Anyways back to the original thread, honestly if the developers called plasma blood instead of plasma I'm pretty sure the Teen rating would still hold in place. They could probably go further but probably don't want to because some things are funnier if implied rather than obvious, like the bubble blower, yes, we know what it really is, ok maybe if a hookah were to be bluntly called a hookah then ya I can see the rating change to M for drug references, but isn't a bubble blower implying exactly a hookah? I mean whatever, the word hookah is fun to say, but bubble blower is just so iconic for the sims series.

Also, sort of related but not really... I wanted to expand on a thought in that post. Maybe it's just one of those "I want to give my hypothetical kids what I never had" things, but in my teen years, I really had no clue when it came to taboo subjects and I didn't really have anyone I felt I could talk to about it. I explored it anyway, of course, but it was that much harder to come to terms with. And the reason is because my parents were raised in an environment where their parents weren't comfortable discussing it and so they passed that down.

I was (lucky for my parents) one of those goody-two-shoes, straight-edge types in pretty much every way, so I didn't go and do crazy things. But there are so many kids who are not.

As it is, those taboo subjects are still difficult for me to talk about casually, to this day, and I'm in my twenties.

So just a sort of general note about what repression and lack of communication can do. (Not directed at anyone. I just felt like sharing it.)

You are right. My mom has been pretty liberal with me and thanks to that I've hardly had any real surprises in life and I'm ready for many things and I've avoided a lot of things cause I already know how many things work. You have no idea how many classmates I've got that have extremely conservative parents and they end up having a lot of problems cause they don't have the tools to protect themselves. That's why it's so important to face "the talk" that by the way even sims had in TS3 and prepare your kids, especially when they are teenagers. I'm also in my twenties :)
    Glad to hear it. :smile: It doesn't surprise me there are so many; it seems to be a pretty common theme, at least in my part of the world (the US - I don't know what country you live in). Hopefully the generation that came after us is having a better time with it, on average. I know classes on human sexuality have become more of a thing.

And yeah, that talk... funny thing is, my dad did try, bless his heart. He did try to give a talk. Unfortunately, he sounded more nervous and out of his element than I was listening, and I didn't learn much of anything from it, due to it being extremely vague. The poor guy lol.

I'm Latin American :) but my mom lived in the US and she had to learn many things the hard way there cause her mom never prepared her for anything, and her father would get nervous like yours lol especially when it comes to talking to a daughter.

My mom was the exception and learnt from her mom's mistake and had "the talk" with me. I was more uncomfortable than her, but extremely curious.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • pri4321pri4321 Posts: 225 Member

The closest to a story I think is a castle in Windenburg that is haunted by a ghost couple

• YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    pri4321 wrote: »

The closest to a story I think is a castle in Windenburg that is haunted by a ghost couple

Oh, well thank you.
    I'll have so much fun solving that one, if there is anything to solve...
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    not a respectable thing in many cultures and religions.
    The same can be said about having children outside of marriage, yet it happens, and is perfectly ok in many cultures.

And on the topic of coffins, you can buy them in costco. I know people who use them as home furnishings.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

Really! Has a kid i had gone through all the strange town stuff, finding her as a npc, taking her with simPe then adding her ... and i could just put a painting in my house and wait ? I must do that !
    Edit: There is some story, but they are ... normal i can say, you know, small couple trouble, or are they gonna find love stuff. Expect the villareal, might be why i like this familly.

I think it came with the world Belladonna cove I'm not sure but I remember using it to summon her.

Plus wohoo interactions are getting more and more intimate now. I still think it's acceptable, but the walk in closet wohoo is pretty hot too lol.

The coffin thing reminded me of Madonna's like a prayer video that totally threw people over the edge lol
    21mbz47.jpg

And therefore it's great that it's optional, and nobody is forced to use it, ever. A game that can't possibly offend everybody would just end up being another Tetris clone.

EDIT: Not that I have anything against Tetris. Or will ever confess just how much sleep I lost to it once upon a time.

oh Tetris lol... such an addictive game
    21mbz47.jpg

I think it came with the world Belladonna cove I'm not sure but I remember using it to summon her.

I have the UC, so it must be fine. I must try, really :o
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member

So we can't complain much about the T rating at this point... if you really find it optional, then why they showed in the first trailer? Certain things must know. In my opinion these kind of things are fitting perfectly the current rating.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    :lol:

I'm Latin American :) but my mom lived in the US and she had to learn many things the hard way there cause her mom never prepared her for anything, and her father would get nervous like yours lol especially when it comes to talking to a daughter.

My mom was the exception and learnt from her mom's mistake and had "the talk" with me. I was more uncomfortable than her, but extremely curious.
    Ahh, ok. It's interesting how that works, how your mom made a point to do it because of her parents' struggle with doing it. That seems to be a common thing in parenting, where they try to do the things that their parent didn't do.

Also, I understand the discomfort, haha. I wonder if it's just a teen thing in general to find it awkward discussing that kind of thing with a parent. Or maybe you were a little uncomfortable because she had some residual discomfort about it lurking around. I remember vaguely from the human sexuality course I took in college, something about it being the kind of subject where it's extremely easy for a kid to internalize it as something shameful, long before the talk and without words, especially if you're carrying baggage about it yourself, as a parent.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

I wish I could but sadly the game doesn't work on windows 10, which is a shame since it's a great game.
    edited February 2017

I wish I could but sadly the game doesn't work on windows 10, which is a shame since it's a great game.

Well, with win10 it's not easy i feel like it the wheel of fortune, some people can't play it and some can.
    Luckily i'm part of the "i can", but i had to go through lots of "change that/ad that/download that"

So we can't complain much about the T rating at this point... if you really find it optional, then why they showed in the first trailer? Certain things must know. In my opinion these kind of things are fitting perfectly the current rating.

Why would you think they only show activities you are forced to do in the advertising? This is Sims: there'd be almost nothing to advertise. FWIW, I've never seen a single objection posted anywhere to coffin woohoo on grounds that it's disrespecting the dead (it's an empty coffin anyway??) and lots of people were saying they wanted coffin woohoo. It's a selling point. And yeah, they pushed the steaminess level on it to probably as far as they can within the T rating. I'm glad they did - the game isn't E for Everyone, and there's no point in a T rating that isn't used as one. I'd rather they lean that direction in handling the game rating than lean toward catering to that part of the market that wants to treat teenagers as if they're prepubescent. As long as they keep the whimsy and humor and lightness in the game, I'm enjoying this edge of the T rating.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

The game is fully Windows 10 compatible. If you're having issues, post to Technical.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Just because something can fit within a rating doesn't mean it should. Think of the children.

Right. Like you do in all your posts about torture and underage brides?

Well, with win10 it's not easy i feel like it the wheel of fortune, some people can't play it and some can.
    Luckily i'm part of the "i can", but i had to go through lots of "change that/ad that/download that"

I think it's party the disc's fault apparently people could get a version of origin quite sometime back because the disc's no longer run on windows 8 an 10 that's what I heard.
    filipomel wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »

What is filthy? Tattoos? Piercings? LGBT? I have no idea what you are against or have issues with what has been added.

There is not much that's already in the game that I don't approve of. My biggest issues are moaning during woohoo, teens being allowed romantic interactions and the gender patch.

It's proposed and rumored additions that worry me more, like the supposed inclusion of facial piercings and body hair.

1. I mean, they don't moan, they giggle and talk in simlish as if they were in the flirty emotion.
    2. Teens being able to do romantic interactions with other teens seems perfectly normal, not sure if you ever went to a high school but teens date, kiss, hold hands, flirt, and you know, woohoo.
    3. The gender patch is 100% personal opinion and the values you share are completely your own and I respect that, I'm not going to argue with that even though I disagree with you personally, I believe anyone should express themselves in any manner they choose, whether a boy wants to put on makeup and wear a dress or a girl wanting to wear plaid shirts and masculine jackets or someone wanting to be transgender. I don't think anyone should be judged or looked down upon for being who they want to be.
    4. Facial piercings, honestly don't see the issue
    5. Body hair... I mean ok

I don't see what this whole rated T for Teen thing is about, don't understand why you're making it a problem by saying "they shouldn't push the Teen rating", when in fact they are not. Like you and other people said, there are T rated games out there with much worse content, blood, swearing, violence, etc. The sims is only as bad as you make it, and the worst the game can really get isn't even bad, it's most likely funny, because the sims is a game with a comedic tone to it, everything in the game is comedic, from woohoo, to fighting, to blowing bubbles and even death.

If you find certain things controversial because of your beliefs then so be it, don't expose your children to it, but to assume that others share the same views as you (specifically talking about the gender patch reference you made) you are wrong, and looks like most sims players seem pretty supportive of this content/the LGBTQ+ community. So just because you don't approve doesn't mean others shouldn't either.

And can we please just take the time to realise that the gender patch, as much as it was pro LGBTQ+, was mainly added for sim customization, so if there's a male hat you'd like on a female sim then you can do that along with every other CAS item there is available, or if you want a more delicate looking male sim you can give him a female frame, doesn't necessarily mean they are transgender. Lastly, the fact you can enable male sims to become pregnant is just incredible. Beyond all of this that I mentioned it opened up the creative aspect of CAS so much more than it was before.

I know you said you are not trying to change others opinions and that you say you are respectful of them, but your arguments are coming off as if you are trying to change others opinions, your arguments are formatted somewhat like this, "here's my argument, ok I respect your opinion but here's my argument again just so you know where I'm coming from, oh ok hold on let me explain myself again," yes we understand your argument and a lot of us disagree with what you are trying to say or prove, that's basically it, if someone respectfully disagrees with someone else they normally move on.

Anyways back to the original thread, honestly if the developers called plasma blood instead of plasma I'm pretty sure the Teen rating would still hold in place. They could probably go further but probably don't want to because some things are funnier if implied rather than obvious, like the bubble blower, yes, we know what it really is, ok maybe if a hookah were to be bluntly called a hookah then ya I can see the rating change to M for drug references, but isn't a bubble blower implying exactly a hookah? I mean whatever, the word hookah is fun to say, but bubble blower is just so iconic for the sims series.

Nothing he says pushes the T rating, not even the developers are pushing the T rating. I mean @luthienrising posted a tweet from one of the gurus saying that they were kinda pushing it with vampires, but I don't see how, actually @luthienrising do you know how? Was it cause of how they look? Or how they behave?

Also just out of curiosity LGBTQ+ what does the Q+ stand for?
    21mbz47.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top