Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed

Comments

• TJKazuha09TJKazuha09 Posts: 74 Member
    I agree that Death need to be reworked. Why would a stranger be sad over a random stranger death? they could witness death but they shouldn't always feel 'sad' about it. They can be tense, they can be angry, or they can feel disgusted/uncomfortable. Then when ghost witness other's death, that just the same, right? Can they feel happy because someone join them? They can. they don't always hate being dead.

Seriously, some 'good' people disgust me. They act like they always be sad over random stranger's death and think it's normal while in fact, they might not be sad over their "best" friend's death just because they didn't see their death. They prolly be like "awe, that's too bad" and that's about it. Nothing else. Same thing happen to The Sims 4. try it. Make a BFF and Kill the BFF while the BFF is somewhere else. Check that sim and open your eyes widely. See if they feel sad. I bet they won't.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Hey, whenever my Sims die, they always leave an urn. How can you get them to leave a tombstone?
  • AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    You get a tombstone if you put the grave marker outside.
  • kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    edited February 2017
    I like all your ideas!
    And I think that NPC sims should be allowed to die in the community area.
    As long as I know that they can only die on the lot which is loaded by a player-controlled sim.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    aging off is the best way to play in my book no death nothing i prefer to have my sims live for ever and why do you still bump a dead topic that should remain forgoten

YOU prefer to keep aging and death disabled, and that's fine if that's how you like to play your game. However, many people do like to allow Sims to die, for various reasons, and that's fine too. Some people just like deviant play and killing Sims for fun. Some people like to allow aging and death so they can watch their town grow and change over many generations. I personally find it boring to have the same Sims around forever. I have some Sims that I keep unaging because they have specific stories or functions in my world, but my townies and unplayed households age and eventually die. I like to see new faces in town and have different Sims to interact with. I don't want every generation of kids in my legacies to have the same friends like in Sims 2. Many of us want cemeteries so we can keep the graves of our dead Sims in a place where they can be visited by family.

Your playstyle is not everyone's playstyle and you really need to get over yourself.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    I like the generational aspect of the game, that means that the old sims eventually have to die to make room for their offspring. If I kept them all around I wouldn't have room for them all!

If you don't like to play with aging and death that's cool, but lots of people do, because they like seeing the generations change, or for a story or whatever.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Thanks for your support of my ideas, people! Anyone who plays with aging on will probably run into some of these problems eventually, while others are specifically difficult for family players, so I too hope the devs will take notice of some of the concerns raised in this topic.
  • brinadaniellebrinadanielle Posts: 96 Member
    Today...one of my sims died of electrocution. I loved this sim. She died young and I had big plans for her. she died at the karoke bar and back on her home lot...no one missed her. no one knew that she was gone. This was highly disturbing. I think the sims household and loved ones should know that the sim passed. Also, I miss being able to have a funeral or memorial service for the dead sim. There should be an official event for this.
    Perhaps we could have an ep that allows funeral and other life events...I miss generations though...
    Today...one of my sims died of electrocution. I loved this sim. She died young and I had big plans for her. she died at the karoke bar and back on her home lot...no one missed her. no one knew that she was gone. This was highly disturbing. I think the sims household and loved ones should know that the sim passed. Also, I miss being able to have a funeral or memorial service for the dead sim. There should be an official event for this.
    Perhaps we could have an ep that allows funeral and other life events...I miss generations though...

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about! So sorry that you had this happen in your game. It's very unsettling for Sims not to notice the passing of someone close to them, especially when the death comes as a shock to the player like that.

This thread has some cool ideas about cemetery gameplay.
  • RetinaStormRetinaStorm Posts: 185 Member
    I dislike all the ghosts on my sims theres way to many and every time you look instead of a new household moving in empty lots its a ghost or nothing. Every time you go out there are ghosts and when they call your sim its annoying they should not get calls from dead sims.

If my sim does not know the sim that is dying at the time then it shouldnt get sad for the same length of time as it does when a sim in the family dies. It should feel a little upset at the sight of death but not cry non stop it drives me nuts.

Bring in the headstones or some profession to get them out of the game so im not going in a deleting them all the time it can get annoying having to go through diff worlds and multiple houses just to do this
    @RetinaStorm - I especially agree with you about the annoyance of tombstone management! For rotational players especially, this is a HUGE pain in the neck and something that any death-related update has to address.

I am hopeful that the Dangerous Stuff pack will win the new poll so that we can see some of these ideas happen!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I read through the initial post and most of the comments after. Not sure how I missed this thread to begin with. I might not have been actively playing at the time or avoiding the forum lol.
    Anyway, I love your suggestions @Terra. I'm so excited for a possibility of the Dangerous Stuff pack including a funeral. I'm so hoping for a graveyard venue also. I think they are listening.
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I read through the initial post and most of the comments after. Not sure how I missed this thread to begin with. I might not have been actively playing at the time or avoiding the forum lol.
    Anyway, I love your suggestions @Terra. I'm so excited for a possibility of the Dangerous Stuff pack including a funeral. I'm so hoping for a graveyard venue also. I think they are listening.

Thanks so much, @Hermitgirl! Sadly the Dangerous pack didn't win. :( I hope that the Gurus still prioritize fixing all of the many problems with death mechanics in the game, though. Who knows - maybe it could be reworked as a game pack so we could see more substantial gameplay changes than would have been possible in a stuff pack.
    edited June 2017
    Edited the OP to add the problem with marital links disappearing off the family tree when one of the spouses dies. As it is now, only couples with children will still be linked to each other on family trees after they die. This really bothers me for a few reasons:

- Step-relationships - which are already pathetically implemented into the game, existing only on the family tree - dissolve as soon as one of the spouses dies, even if they raised their stepchildren as their own.
    - Gay couples, and transgender Sims who are in a relationship with a Sim with incompatible pregnancy options, are particularly affected in my save because I rarely have them adopt since the game's adoption system generates tons of families every time you adopt. I feel pressured to give these Sims children out of wedlock and with Sims who don't really match their sexual orientation just so that they don't disappear from the family tree. Other childless situations, such as straight couples who marry as Elders after children from previous relationships are already grown, are similarly disserviced by the present system.

Also, does anyone else find it really annoying that dead relatives send birthday presents with Parenthood installed?
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    If not listed......as I have just skimmed really.......I would like a chance for the "plead for life" interaction to actually work. I once had a sim on a lot where a waiter died (totally killed the vibe there), my sim saved him. Couple minutes later after the Grim refused to leave, he died yet again. This time another of my sims had pleaded and Grim brought him back a second time. Only that lasted for only a minute. By this time I was just fine letting him be dead, but I released his spirit so that the sims could go on and do something other than mourn the loss. It was just a little bit infuriating. Also, I would like to have the ghost be able to plead for their own life. That would be pretty cool. They could have a direct link to the Grim and have the option to "take me to the other side" or "plead for life".
    @Bear31 - Wow, I have never had that happen to me. Does that happen to you a lot? Sounds like an awful bug.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Sort of a tangent topic, but something I wanted to throw out there: Death by Hysteria is something they should absolutely review.

Each new EP or GP they add new ways to get happy moodlets. There's a "power creep" to this where perhaps at release getting +10 happiness was considered a lot, but now +20 is considered a lot and +10 is no big deal. The problem with this is that all it takes is a single playful moodlet alongside the multitude of other happiness buffs and your sim could die. This is more or less teaching us to avoid playfulness like the plague, which can be odd, absurd, annoying and a number of other things.

As I said, this is something that'll get worse with time as more and more moodlets are added. If you had a fancy home with lots of decorations and ate a nice meal next to happy people, a Good person might get happiness +7. Now however, you can tweak that to eating a nice meal in a nice apartment next to happy family when you have that City Living Aspiration, and that's an additional +3 (Believe CL has a +1 for being in your own neighborhood, Parenthood has a +2 for being near family you like). Someone tells one good joke and that Sim is dangerously close to death. There's no sign of any stop to the happy moodlet spam, so I honestly expect hysterical deaths will cross over from being a once-and-a-while death type to being the most annoying death type in the game.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @Bear31 - Wow, I have never had that happen to me. Does that happen to you a lot? Sounds like an awful bug.

I don't know if it's a bug, but it's happened to me at least twice. I don't know if it's cause my sim doesn't know them or what, but it was annoying to say the least.
    @DeservedCriticism - That's a really good point. Have you actually had trouble with Death by Hysteria in your game so far, or are you thinking this is more a problem that will happen to you soon?
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    @DeservedCriticism - That's a really good point. Have you actually had trouble with Death by Hysteria in your game so far, or are you thinking this is more a problem that will happen to you soon?

I have a Good Sim I keep an eye on specifically because they get like 3 seperate happy moodlets just by interacting with people. Also, the first teenage birthday party I threw after installing Parenthood resulted in Hysteria for the teen. To be fair, a playful ghost provided the playful moodlet, but I also don't think that's really the point. The point is that one social event resulted in enough happiness that a singular playful buff put her into Hysteria. The exact same would happen if she randomly got that illness that causes a playful buff, or if she were a goofball.

I think if anyone really wanted to "test the limits" as they stand now...? Make a Good Goofball. That alone is probably gonna hit hysterical levels at some point, and as I said this problem is only worsened by the additional happy buffs they continue to provide. If that Good Goofball were raised in-game by a happy family, then ta-da, +2 Happy moodlet whenever they're around family. Wouldn't be surprised if Pets adds onto this with happiness buffs for interacting with animals.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism - Ah, I think you're right. It would be better if Death by Hysteria relied on only Playful moodlets and wouldn't let one Playful moodlet tip a Sim from Very Happy to Hysterical. I am not sure that would work well with the way Emotions are coded though, so it would be easier if they just raised the requirement for Hysteria.
  • Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    @DeservedCriticism - Ah, I think you're right. It would be better if Death by Hysteria relied on only Playful moodlets and wouldn't let one Playful moodlet tip a Sim from Very Happy to Hysterical. I am not sure that would work well with the way Emotions are coded though, so it would be easier if they just raised the requirement for Hysteria.

Well, right now, happy moodlets seem to be ignored when switching emotions; just extend that to transitioning between emotion thresholds.
    Personally, I think it would be interesting if the hysteria threshold were some function of how many happy moodlets there were in the game.
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    There are many topics that include players expressing frustrations with the death mechanics in TS4, so I thought it would be handy to have one master topic here. Here are some of the most common concerns with the way death currently works in TS4 that I see here on the forums, plus a few of my own added on.

There are no graveyards.
    - Simmers who play multiple generations of a single family often want to keep the tombstones of deceased Sims. (See above for the many benefits of having a Sim’s tombstone.) Over time they may run out of room for the family graves, particularly on smaller lots. If graves could be deposited in a designated community lot, players would not have to fit the tombstones onto their own lot. This mechanic existed in TS3.
    - There are very few people in modern western society (on which TS4 is based) who do not bury their dead in graveyards, so it is more realistic to have a graveyard. Graveyards are meaningful and, in some cultures, a focal point for family activities on certain days of the year (such as on the Vernal Equinox in Japan, or Dìa de los Muertos in Mexico) so having a graveyard venue would enable players to tell stories that incorporate these activities. In general, graveyards serve as a focal point of family memory and would enhance family play if included.
    Potential Solutions: Add a Graveyard venue type.

Please keep your discussions respectful.

I heard that if you create a family, kill them all off - the lot becomes a church with a graveyard. I have not tried this because I have an aversion to killing off my sims. But was told it was awesome.
    That sounds like an urban legend to me, @simplyzoe!
  • SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    That is a TOTAL urban legend. As someone who has intentionally killed off a considerable sum of sims, I can assure you, that does not happen. I was attempting to get some of the death related achievements, also attempting to create ghosts for a graveyard, ghosts killed in specific ways, ....basically a number of justifications to attempt killing sims, and having killed every sim on the lot more than once, can very emphatically assure you that the lot does NOT change lot type, does not become a church, does not become a graveyard, etc. you will have a residential lot with a number of tombstones/urns on it though.