Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The vampires are pretty much perfect.

I gotta say, they did the vampires really well this time around. I have so many things I like about this pack and have very few complaints. This is how I always wanted vampires to be in the Sims series. I love that they aren't immune to the daylight unless you want them to be. I like the selection of powers, and even the weakness because nobody should be perfect. The vampire spar animation is epic. I love the feeding animation especially because it actually lasts until their thirst bar fills up, as it should, rather than a one second bite followed by the bar just going up like it was in Sims 3.

I love that they have to drink plasma and can't survive on human food like they could in Sims 2. I love that coffins are optional and you can make the dark form as scary or as normal looking as you want. I have some vampires with really creepy dark forms and others who look basically the same in dark form except with glowing eyes and fangs.

I like the vampire breaking in and feeding scenario. I miss little random events like this (the burglar from past games also comes to mind) and I hope they do more stuff like this in upcoming packs. My Sims need more disruption in their lives!

This pack is really versatile and it added a much need element of darkness to this game. My Sims' world feels a lot less like a perfect utopia now and more like a place where danger could be lurking anywhere, and I'd love to see more content of this sort in the future.

My only (very minor) complaints are that they still haven't mastered vampire AI knowing when they shouldn't be standing around in the sun, and I wish the "Feed uncontrollably" animation for when their thirst bar bottoms out was a bit more aggressive looking (in my head I was seeing frenzy ala Vampire the Masquerade so I guess I was slightly disappointed that it's nothing like that, lol). Other than those small things and a few bugs that need sorting, I think this pack is perfect and I want to commend the Sims team for a job well done.
"It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."

Comments

• WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I am having a blast with my vamp and it is fun being able to pick the powers and weakness to give vampires. (And hopefully the ability to pick and choose will be used with other Supernaturals along with a patched in version for normal Sims with the power being changed to Strengths)

With the only minor complaint being of course standing around in the sun and not having normal sims quake or cry in fear if they catch you chomping down on someone's neck.

But all and all the Sims team did a good job with these new versions of an old classic.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I too agree, my biggest aggravation with Sims 3 vampires was how they had to be friends with their victim before being able to feed on them, and only with their permission. I always thought that a vampire would never feed on their friends, or those who they would consider close to them. It's either something that would have been shared by someone they were romantically involved with, or a total stranger, and at those time it would be a none too nice of a thing to deal with on the part of the victim.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The lack of a reflection is about the only thing that bothers me, cos I have a house full of vamps, and most of them practice dancing in front of a mirror.

And I've had a minor issue with Caleb invinging my Vamps out in the middle of the day. Evil daywalker.

THese really are the best version of vampires they've ever made for the sims. :)
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 295 Member
    Weaknesses, what weaknesses you mean? I can't really tell to be honest or maybe it is just my playstyle but selection i picked influence me zero in any negative way at all. So yah vampires a perfect ton of abilities no need to for lots of unnecessary downtimes, just constantly around the clock ability to be on :smiley:
  • kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    To be honest, I was not a big fan of vampires before.
    But this GP just changed my mind.
    I really like the powers and weaknesses system of vampires.
    It allows us to customize vampires by ourselves.
    That's so much fun!

My only issue is that vampires can't keep their identity secret from other sims.
    It's not fair that only aliens can hide their supernatural identity from others.
    I'm playing a vampire who is trying to disguise herself as a mortal.
    I wish they could have a power to create their reflections in the mirror in order to make them look like normal human.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2017
    kinot9229 wrote: »
    That's so much fun!

My only issue is that vampires can't keep their identity secret from other sims.
    It's not fair that only aliens can hide their supernatural identity from others.
    I wish they could have a power to create their reflections in the mirror in order to make them look like normal human.

I said this before release and I stand by it: we all have our preferences, but at the end of the day what matters is gameplay. Vampires have usually been love it or hate it for the Sims series, but now it's probably the most gameplay-intensive pack Sims 4 has ever gotten, and I've not really seen any criticism of it beyond nitpicks about bugs that have arisen or minor flavor issues like reflections or your comments about hiding their identity or the like. Worth discussing, but also nothing too detrimental. It's clear this is probably the most loved pack they've made yet.

I just hope they take this as a lesson to focus on incorporating more gameplay aspects into future content. This pack was a breath of fresh air, and it'd be a shame to see Sims 4 go back to status quo after this.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    I said this before release and I stand by it: we all have our preferences, but at the end of the day what matters is gameplay. Vampires have usually been love it or hate it for the Sims series, but now it's probably the most gameplay-intensive pack Sims 4 has ever gotten, and I've not really seen any criticism of it beyond nitpicks about bugs that have arisen or minor flavor issues like reflections or your comments about hiding their identity or the like. Worth discussing, but also nothing too detrimental. It's clear this is probably the most loved pack they've made yet.
    Agreed. I'm having so much fun with this pack. I tried to bring in two of my favorite regular characters, and playing non-vamps is downright boring these days. All these abilities and weaknesses have amplified my Sims' behaviors and traits and personalities. Vampires has deepened and enriched my gameplay in all areas.
    Kudos to the developers on this one.

7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    edited February 2017
    I had a lot of fun playing with a vampire in my current save. I'll likely start a brand new game soon, though. I started reading my old Zatanna comics during my vacation, and I want to make her as a sim.

The things I liked best? All of the mayhem I could create by influencing moods and depriving needs. >:)
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    I had a lot of fun playing with a vampire in my current save. I'll likely start a brand new game soon, though. I started reading my old Zatanna comics during my vacation, and I want to make her as a sim.

The things I liked best? All of the mayhem I could create by influencing moods and depriving needs. >:)

Sims need more mayhem in their lives for sure. It makes the game a lot more interesting,
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    I heard somebody managed to make a bunch of people die of anger through the emotion manipulation thing.
  • DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 295 Member
    kinot9229 wrote: »
    That's so much fun!

Sure it is not some the abilities or weaknesses you pick? I have had absolutely no sims treating me any different than they did before she became a vampire. Not i notice in the slightest at all, no negative reactions or anything like that at all? As for the mirror i think it is purely aethestics to vampire vibe, i never seen any npc react to it like they do when they see a ghost or a possesed object.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    I too was never a big fan of the supernatural life states but they very nearly knocked the vampire gameplay out of the park. There are a few things I would have liked to see them do better, things like hiding their identities and so forth, but overall it is pretty good. The customization options are great and the CAS and Build/Buy items are fantastic as well. This is far and away the best pack/update of any sort they have released for TS4. If they could add a few more neighborhoods to Forgotten Hollow it would be complete far as I am concerned.
  • Blade334Blade334 Posts: 48 Member
    Are aliens Able to hide there identity? Don’t sims kinda just automatically find out the identity no matter what ?
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yep, I really love what they did with vampires this time around. The skill tree is very well done, and the weaknesses help add more personality to our sims. My only gripes are that, like a lot of people, I wish that every sim and their grandma didn't know a sim to be a vampire automatically, there should have been a gourmet recipe for plasma fruit as well as the drink and the salad, and I really think there should have been "Vampire Hater" and "Vampire Enthusiast" traits to go along with this pack, either as CAS traits or reward traits. Aside from those minor nitpicks, I think this GP is great and actually well worth the full price.

I really do hope werewolves are next...and that they give you just as much flexibility with their werewolf forms as "Vampires" gave us with dark forms (with new parts like actual wolf ears, muzzles, and tails as options).
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    The need-related powers make things too easy I think.

I like nightmarish sleep because it means if their energy's low and the go to bed they actually sleep for a normal amount of time. That weakness (2 ranks) combined with guilty drinker, 1 rank of day phobia and withered stomach (because since when did vampires eat normal food?) WITH the addition of the carefree reward trait so they don't get tense from their weaknesses is the perfect combination for me.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Finally, a positive thread about vampires in this forum??? Okay, so the thread is from February, but I'll take it.

These vampires were so well done, it brought me from being somewhat neutral about them to totally hooked.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I agree the Vamps are amazing and deep - and all the things I wish the rest of the Sims population was made with.

They did an amazing job on this GP. Love every minute of playing the Vamps.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• AmeliaNovaAmeliaNova Posts: 76 Member
    I LOVED the vampires!! They're balanced and interesting and way better than the vampires from the sims 3. Giving them their own game pack really let them create CAS and build items that were unique and usable! I hope they do the same with the other supernatural beings instead of throwing them in a pack and trying to make items for everything.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    The fact that they delivered so well on the Vampires is one of the reasons why I'm holding out for Werewolves.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I hope that they'll make other supernatural gamepacks in the future. Just one at a time. Can be one per year only if necessary. As long as the result is some really well made supernaturals.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I never cared about Vampires (neither in real life nor in the Sims). But since this pack came out, I became a big fan of Vampires. I started to watch series like TVD and TO :D.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    Watch Buffy! Some of the vampire archetypes in the game are based on those vampires. :smiley:
  • MintiSimbleMintiSimble Posts: 20 Member
    I originally got the pack for build items but the vampire gameplay was actually really well done! The constant breaking in of the vampires got a bit annoying, but otherwise it's a really solid pack
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    Finally, a positive thread about vampires in this forum??? Okay, so the thread is from February, but I'll take it.

These vampires were so well done, it brought me from being somewhat neutral about them to totally hooked.

Agree. I feel there are a small minority of people who have their own reasons not to like the vampires, but it is nice to have a thread where it's positive. I love the GP and it is one of my favourite things about the Sims. It's added so much more to my game. And I didn't like vampires much in TS2 (never got to them in TS3) because they were really a bit of an anti-climax. These have their own skills, traits, weaknesses etc and I love that. It would be epic to have more heritable traits born between children of vampires, and yeah, the standing out in the sun already killed one of mine (although it created a plot so *shrug*) but I like the options that it has opened up. And I never expected when Aubrey (avatar) vampire was born after a ley line experiment that I'd become so hooked on him and his kind. Last I played I think he was 207 days old...and I am constantly amused by trying to make him do 'human' things that he's really bad at, like yoga and mud-baths;) while ruling supreme over the whole world vampire dynasty as Grand Master.

So totally agree with what you said. Yay for the vampires. Even with the current bug, they're still fun. And it's nice to have vampires and humans in the neighbourhood, have them all interact and then switch between different life styles and get the best of both worlds. The chief descendent now with the original name from my first CAS sim is actually in the vampire line, although that was a human female several generations ago.

• ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I love the pack! I love the aesthetics and the gameplay. It is a lot of fun but the only comment I have is that I wish that vampires remained a secret until the other sims figured out what they were. Similar to aliens. Sims figure out they are aliens through woohoo or through a glow when they are "very (insert mood here)". I wish it were the same for vamps. Maybe if they're really hungry, their fangs start to show or they do a surprise attack. Otherwise, what is the point of switching out of their "Dark form"? Sims already know what they are, no surprise element imo. That is the only thing I think they could've done differently..
    Ayy It's Mell ♥