Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game 'freezes' when children or teens go to school

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure whether to shove this in the bugs forum just yet as I dont know if it's the lot, the house or the game etc. Just as my child or teen sims go to school my game freezes and no one does anything. I thought it was just a teen vampire thing (my main sims younger brother) but he has sinced moved out and I now have the same problem with the twin children in the household. I can't switch players, I can't hault actions, nothing. Time continues but nothing happens. Time will reset after a while but it's taking nearly 5 minutes (real time) a day to send my twin boys off to school. Now, thats 25 minutes in real time per sim week. Anyone else finding this, know a link to a similar post or have a solution?

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,586 Member
    Hello
    Other simmers are also having this issue.
    When it happens, try going to game options and back, or buy mode and back, or pressing the "m " key and see if that helps the issue.
    Try also if you can to press pause, then wait a few seconds, then press pause again , then normal speed and see if that helps.

• simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    I have it too
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,897 Member
    edited February 2017
    This is 'interesting'. I am having the same and thought the game was getting too much for my computer.
    I definately noticed it was school time doing it.
    Was really not looking forward to lowering the graphics further. Now I'll hold off and try what Rosemow suggests above and see how we go.
  • JodainJodain Posts: 95 Member
    Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue.
  • hadklaxhadklax Posts: 467 Member
    Thanks everyone! Ill try out rosemows ideas when they next go to school (I asked when it was Friday in the game!). I couldn't find a thread so that and the other comments reassure me it's not just me.
    I was thinking it was my computer too or something I downloaded from the gallery @NRowe
    Hello @hadklax
    It is not just your game that is being affected. Other simmers have also been posting that this has been occurring in their games.
  • froztiangel3669froztiangel3669 Posts: 1 New Member
    Ok so I too have been having this issue. While there is no fix from EA yet, nor is there a sure fire work around, there IS a way to shorten the time it freezes for. I will first explain exactly what I have noticed happens when it is time for children/teens to go to school. Then I will explain my daily (in game) work around.

1- 8 am when children/teens have to go to school, the game freezes. Even if you pause the game time still runs for up to 3 or more in game hours then snaps back to just after 8 am.
    2- for every action the child/children/teen(s) are attempting to do or have in que = more freeze time (as it will freeze for 30 sec to 1 minute or more per action the game has to cancel out so it can load the "Go to school" action). This is per child, so the more children you have = more actions to cancel = more frustration.

So if there is no action going or in que, the lag/freeze time will be minimal (30 sec - 1 min) per child/teen. So the more children/teens you have, the longer it will freeze for. As I have only 2 children the freeze time is not long doing the following process below.

This is the 1st part of what I do:

1- around 7:30 am I pause the game and cancel all actions on the kid(s)/teen(s).
    2- select a spot outside further down the sidewalk to make the kid(s)/teen(s) walk to and "Go here". (you must manually do this for each child/teen. The reason I do this is to make sure they do not try to do or que up any other actions)
    3- un pause the game for about 5-10 in game minutes then pause again for 10 or so seconds (This is to help allow the system to clear the previous actions).
    4- un pause the game and allow the "Go here" action to go into effect (if you have it timed right they will still be walking or just finished walking by the time it gets to 8 am game time). As long as they are doing nothing but walking when it reaches 8 am it does not matter whether or not they have made it outside the house.

The above (1st) part of the process should only take 30 seconds at most to do.

Now for the 2nd part:

5- at 8:01 or 8:02 am pause the game. It WILL pause, but everything will stop/freeze and the time will keep running. It will also still not show that the kid(s)/teen(s) are headed to school which is ok, as it will show that they are in just a minute or two.
    6- At this point it will be stuck on whichever kid/teen you are selected on, this is normal. Now select on another kid/teen and wait till it changes over to the other one you selected on. This will usually take up to 30 seconds, maybe a little longer. (if you have only 1 child or teen, select on an adult member of the household). (also if you have more than 2 kids/teens cycle this step through all of them, ie.... select next one, then wait till it changes to that child/teen, and repeat to select through all of them)
    7- change back to the 1st child/teen. You should now see the go to school action loaded into the que.
    8- Select the next child/teen down the line till you have cycled though all of them a 2nd time. This is so that the game can have the "Go to school" action loaded on all of them. Once this is done and you can freely change between them you are good to go and can now un pause the game. (if you have only 1 child, once you can freely change between the child/teen and an adult you are good to go).

Depending on other things going on with the game/system this process usually takes me about 1.5-2 minutes to work through the freeze and get the kids off to school. If you have more than 2 kids it will take a little longer to work through. Also remember that the important thing to shortening the amount of time the game freezes is to have the kids doing nothing other than walking and to have nothing in their que.

I know that this is not a permanent work around, and that it is an extra in game daily chore to do. But it is much better (and for me, much faster) than having to exit and reload the game or switch maps, etc.... as sometimes when you enter back into the game it will still be at this problem time (8 am).

If this has helped you please give a Like so others can see that it does help.

Thank you and have fun out there

My original post can be found here:
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Game-freezes-when-kids-teens-go-to-school/m-p/6210546/highlight/false#M41618
    Ok so I too have been having this issue. While there is no fix from EA yet, nor is there a sure fire work around, there IS a way to shorten the time it freezes for. I will first explain exactly what I have noticed happens when it is time for children/teens to go to school. Then I will explain my daily (in game) work around.

1- 8 am when children/teens have to go to school, the game freezes. Even if you pause the game time still runs for up to 3 or more in game hours then snaps back to just after 8 am.
    2- for every action the child/children/teen(s) are attempting to do or have in que = more freeze time (as it will freeze for 30 sec to 1 minute or more per action the game has to cancel out so it can load the "Go to school" action). This is per child, so the more children you have = more actions to cancel = more frustration.

So if there is no action going or in que, the lag/freeze time will be minimal (30 sec - 1 min) per child/teen. So the more children/teens you have, the longer it will freeze for. As I have only 2 children the freeze time is not long doing the following process below.

This is the 1st part of what I do:

1- around 7:30 am I pause the game and cancel all actions on the kid(s)/teen(s).
    2- select a spot outside further down the sidewalk to make the kid(s)/teen(s) walk to and "Go here". (you must manually do this for each child/teen. The reason I do this is to make sure they do not try to do or que up any other actions)
    3- un pause the game for about 5-10 in game minutes then pause again for 10 or so seconds (This is to help allow the system to clear the previous actions).
    4- un pause the game and allow the "Go here" action to go into effect (if you have it timed right they will still be walking or just finished walking by the time it gets to 8 am game time). As long as they are doing nothing but walking when it reaches 8 am it does not matter whether or not they have made it outside the house.

The above (1st) part of the process should only take 30 seconds at most to do.

Now for the 2nd part:

5- at 8:01 or 8:02 am pause the game. It WILL pause, but everything will stop/freeze and the time will keep running. It will also still not show that the kid(s)/teen(s) are headed to school which is ok, as it will show that they are in just a minute or two.
    6- At this point it will be stuck on whichever kid/teen you are selected on, this is normal. Now select on another kid/teen and wait till it changes over to the other one you selected on. This will usually take up to 30 seconds, maybe a little longer. (if you have only 1 child or teen, select on an adult member of the household). (also if you have more than 2 kids/teens cycle this step through all of them, ie.... select next one, then wait till it changes to that child/teen, and repeat to select through all of them)
    7- change back to the 1st child/teen. You should now see the go to school action loaded into the que.
    8- Select the next child/teen down the line till you have cycled though all of them a 2nd time. This is so that the game can have the "Go to school" action loaded on all of them. Once this is done and you can freely change between them you are good to go and can now un pause the game. (if you have only 1 child, once you can freely change between the child/teen and an adult you are good to go).

Depending on other things going on with the game/system this process usually takes me about 1.5-2 minutes to work through the freeze and get the kids off to school. If you have more than 2 kids it will take a little longer to work through. Also remember that the important thing to shortening the amount of time the game freezes is to have the kids doing nothing other than walking and to have nothing in their que.

I know that this is not a permanent work around, and that it is an extra in game daily chore to do. But it is much better (and for me, much faster) than having to exit and reload the game or switch maps, etc.... as sometimes when you enter back into the game it will still be at this problem time (8 am).

If this has helped you please give a Like so others can see that it does help.

Thank you and have fun out there

My original post can be found here:
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Game-freezes-when-kids-teens-go-to-school/m-p/6210546/highlight/false#M41618

Hello
    It is very thoughtful and kind of you to post the helpful information of the workaround that you do for the issue :) It will be very helpful for other simmers who have this issue.