Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4, the end is near?

13...Next

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    The Sims is one of the top 10 most successful gaming franchises of all time. I don't see EA pulling the plug on something that generates them so much money.

Especially since all the gurus are saying 2017 will be a great year for The Sims 4.
    But the gurus are actually paid to make PR for their games too and would therefore never say the opposite thing. So can we trust them? ;)
    LGBTinc wrote: »
    What's creepy is I believe EA shut down Maxis, the developers of Sim City and The Sims, but I believe EA has plans to continue The Sims franchise.

I believe the only part of Maxis that was shut down was the part that did SimCity -- the Sims part of Maxis is still alive and well and living in Redwood Shores with the rest of EA. B) The Maxis logo still shows up when you load up Sims 4, at least.
    The study in Emeryville made SimCity 2013, Spore and Darkspore but never Sims games. EA didn't want new versions of the mentioned games and therefore shut the studio down. Another reason was that Will Wright who was the leader of the Emeryville study had left EA. So the decision to close Emeryville was a logical one.

But Maxis is bigger than ever because Maxis now has studios all over the world:
    The Sims Studio (who makes TS4 in EA's headquarter in Redwood, California)
    The Firemonkeys (who makes the Sims Freeplay in Melbourne, Australia)
    TrackTwenty (who makes SimCity BuildIt in Helsinki, Finland)

Also both Maxis and EA Mobile joined EA World Wide Studios under Patrick Söderlund in September 2016.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    The Sims is one of the top 10 most successful gaming franchises of all time. I don't see EA pulling the plug on something that generates them so much money.

Especially since all the gurus are saying 2017 will be a great year for The Sims 4.
    But the gurus are actually paid to make PR for their games too and would therefore never say the opposite thing. So can we trust them? ;)

Well, so far they weren't wrong. So maybe we should have just a tiny bit of faith. Not too much to avoid disappointment, and not too little to avoid sounding cynical.
    edited February 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Well, so far they weren't wrong. So maybe we should have just a tiny bit of faith. Not too much to avoid disappointment, and not too little to avoid sounding cynical.
    Personally I never trust any kind of advertising because the statements in them are usually just empty words. But at least I believe that they are working on many SPs (and a couple of other expansions too) and hope that they all will sell very well :)
  • zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    I don't think they would've allocated the resources to make toddlers if they felt like they would be moving on to the next iteration anytime soon. Thus I'm willing to say we'll have a few more years of TS4 before they start talking about what's next.
    zubrowkas wrote: »
    I don't think they would've allocated the resources to make toddlers if they felt like they would be moving on to the next iteration anytime soon. Thus I'm willing to say we'll have a few more years of TS4 before they start talking about what's next.
    I think that they are already working on the next iteration. But I expect that they won't talk about it until about the middle of next year.

TS4 will most likely get many expansions (and especially SPs) in both 2017 and 2018. But probably not longer than this.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    With it's latest developments, I don't see TS4 ending anytime soon.
    Toddlers, vamps, upcoming Stuffpack.
    ( Possible ) Pets.

Nahw, I don't see it ending soon. I just don't.
  • zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    I think that they are already working on the next iteration. But I expect that they won't talk about it until about the middle of next year.

TS4 will most likely get many expansions (and especially SPs) in both 2017 and 2018. But probably not longer than this.

Oh, I definitely think they are toying with new engines and probably have an idea of what TS5 will consist of already. I tend to think that EA always has a plan for future iterations in the works because it is such a beloved series and it does apparently make them a substantial amount of money. But as I said before, we're probably not going to hear about it for awhile. I don't think they'd do themselves any favors by announcing the next iteration when they still have content for this iteration to sell.
  • mattgstlmattgstl Posts: 1,714 Member
    A lot of this is scare mongering by certain individuals. I don't believe EA will just axe one of their main brands because the sales are not as high this time around. The reason SimCity was axed along with the maxis studios in Emeryville was because it was a first generation game that flopped miserably with terrible press coverage. The Sims has proven to everyone what a success it can be and there is no doubt that TS4 is making a healthy profit, granted not as much as previous generations.

• NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    I really hope there will a Sims 5, with lots of improvements and more options for our creativity.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Technically, everything will end... So... :sweat_smile:

Seriously though, I didn't get the indicatively negative vibes and I have a really good sense of negativity. I don't believe it'll end soon at least and I'm hoping it doesn't. The sims team has hit the right notes recently and I hope they continue to do so.
  • SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    Honestly, I don't know what patch notes you have been reading, but TS4 has only started progressing I really think you never worked anything out before you made this forum clearly this was a little patch it's not like they would have done something we were not aware of, for free.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    As if EA is gonna drop something which racks all the money in lol :joy:
    giphy_1.gif
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yeah, I honestly think that 4 is really just getting started. It can take them years to develop a new platform so if that is what they want to do then I'm sure they'll work on it but they'll try to get as much out of 4 as they can. I'm sure they'll study the sales figures but they've set things up so that they can release more content for 4 as long as they want to.

Sims 4 started out a bit light on content but it is starting to catch up. (That's not a criticism of 3 or anything; 3 was/is great).
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    edited February 2017
    zubrowkas wrote: »

Oh, I definitely think they are toying with new engines and probably have an idea of what TS5 will consist of already. I tend to think that EA always has a plan for future iterations in the works because it is such a beloved series and it does apparently make them a substantial amount of money. But as I said before, we're probably not going to hear about it for awhile. I don't think they'd do themselves any favors by announcing the next iteration when they still have content for this iteration to sell.
    They have always announced the next iteration about a year before it is released (and when it is developed enough for them to demonstrate it). So a good guess is that they will show gameplay from it and tell about it on E3 in 2018 and then release it in the middle of 2019.

It is also important for them to build up people's expectations and in the meantime (where people almost can't wait) sales numbers for the previous iteration aren't unlikely to even go up :)
    Post edited by Erpe on