Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @dorcsyful If you meant idle bashing is unconstructive I can't but agree.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • hybridace101hybridace101 Posts: 13 New Member
    On which is better between TS3 and TS4, that's a good question. On one hand, TS4's graphics quality is more superior. It seems more straightforward to build a house. On the other hand, TS3 has more things to do and a greater number of expansion packs. What puzzles me is that 7-1/2 years after TS3 and their expansion packs are still expensive (at least in the UK). EA/Origin offers discounts to TS4 and its EPs all the time but we don't get that for TS3.
  • hybridace101hybridace101 Posts: 13 New Member
    ^^
    As for the toddler feature recently added to TS4, I like it but I had to reinstall TS3 because I miss the little one staying in a crib and starting without the basic abilities (especially walking). It makes the game a bit more challenging. Plus TS3 toddlers look more like 1-2 year olds, which is how toddlers are defined in terms of age anyway; TS4's toddlers look more like 3-4 or 4-5 year-olds.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I seldom see this, at least not in my opinion. What I see is extremely disappointed Simmers who are upset that the game does not include their favorite aspects. Some still think it can be added, but I'm skeptical. Even if it's flat out impossible, I still don't see a problem with this at all. If they ever make another Sims game, those simmers want it to be known what they loved in the past and that they hope it will return.

And personally I totally understand why some fans feel bitter and betrayed, to be honest. People ridicule that but when this is your favorite game and you've supported this team for years, it's just beyond belief that anyone at EA could have green lit Olympus as the next Sims game and thought that would be fine and dandy for all us casual sims players. And make no mistake, "Olympus" is still holding back this game big time.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited February 2017
    People saying that the game is too easy and therefore less enjoyable because characters have more skills kind of reminds me of what John Romero said about Daikatana to wriggle out of it sucking. Specifically that it was SUPPOSED to be hard, which somehow excused all the bugs that made the game barely playable and the obscenely stupid and poorly programmed weapons that could kill you as easily as the enemy.

So inversely when people say that they don't like Sims 4 because there's more to the game than Sims 3 and that makes it too easy for them, it kind of strikes me as somebody complaining that they've been given too much pizza for dinner.

And when people say that Sims 3 has more expansion packs, it's like saying that they think dessert will suck while they're still on their third slice of the main course.

And when they say the game is terrible because it's closed world, it's like saying the chef is terrible because they don't like marzipan.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Frankly I don't think there is more to TS4 than 3 at all. I just think everything has been over-simplified to make it easier. Apparently its easier to make money. It's easier to build. It's easier to do everything. It seems like a five year old could play it with no problems.

I don't know why people seem so afraid of a challenge. Sure, building was complicated in TS3 if you didn't know what you were doing, but like everything, with practise you get better. And people produced some spectacular results on really grand scales. TS4 with its chocolate box design, lack of building or terrain tools couldn't possibly do that. I would personally prefer even my sims games to be more difficult.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2017
    ................ thank you, forum, for the double post.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited February 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I seldom see this, at least not in my opinion. What I see is extremely disappointed Simmers who are upset that the game does not include their favorite aspects. Some still think it can be added, but I'm skeptical. Even if it's flat out impossible, I still don't see a problem with this at all. If they ever make another Sims game, those simmers want it to be known what they loved in the past and that they hope it will return.

And personally I totally understand why some fans feel bitter and betrayed, to be honest. People ridicule that but when this is your favorite game and you've supported this team for years, it's just beyond belief that anyone at EA could have green lit Olympus as the next Sims game and thought that would be fine and dandy for all us casual sims players. And make no mistake, "Olympus" is still holding back this game big time.
    Yes, I agree with you. All I can say is that from my perspective, there has always been a lot of downplaying and slating Sims 3 to praise Sims 4. Over the last couple of years the feeling increased it is not possible to praise Sims 4 without downplaying the predecessor and that always struck me as odd. Toddlers have confirmed for me that in fact discontent about the game has caused this. There's no need to compare them to their predecessors, everybody loves them, everybody plays them, nobody discusses them. You only discuss things that require discussion.

The idea that the only criticism comes from 'TS3 fans' is a hoax, polarization. The real criticism comes from the people who are playing the game and bump into limitations and restrictions. And boredom (a frequently adressed issue, especially in the beginning). Most of the time those limitations and restrictions are discussed in long topics full of thorough and constructive posts. 'Toddlers' was one of those subjects and we'll never be sure, but I really think the simmers who continued to be vocal about them contributed to their quality. Some people (I think it's a small group, it also is an agressive group) can't stand any type of criticism for Sims 4 and attack anyone who does. This includes defending Sims 3 by the way. Defending Sims 3 is the new 'bashing Sims 4'.

@Loanet Maybe my not being English fails me here (I'm serious, I notice I sometimes miss nuances native speakers do pick up) but I don't understand what you're saying at all ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    People saying that the game is too easy and therefore less enjoyable because characters have more skills kind of reminds me of what John Romero said about Daikatana to wriggle out of it sucking. Specifically that it was SUPPOSED to be hard, which somehow excused all the bugs that made the game barely playable and the obscenely plum and poorly programmed weapons that could kill you as easily as the enemy.

So inversely when people say that they don't like Sims 4 because there's more to the game than Sims 3 and that makes it too easy for them, it kind of strikes me as somebody complaining that they've been given too much pizza for dinner.

And when people say that Sims 3 has more expansion packs, it's like saying that they think dessert will suck while they're still on their third slice of the main course.

And when they say the game is terrible because it's closed world, it's like saying the chef is terrible because they don't like marzipan.

Fair comparison.

ZIyAYlZ.gif

Or not. :/
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    This comparison is just as irrelevant as saying, let's take an imaginary example and suppose here that the Sims 5 has such a great AI that sims do everything on their own to the point where users aren't allowed to direct their sims in live mode, and people shouldn't use "user directed interactions have been removed" to say that the Sims 5 is a bad game because player control has nothing to do with the game's quality.
    Well, sorry but it has everything to do with the game's quality. It's one of the core elements that make the game good. Just as much as open worlds for a game released in 2014. Sorry not sorry.
    I don't think people say Sims 4 is terrible because it has closed world. Because Sims 2 had closed lots and nobody calls that a terrible game. People don't like the fact those 'worlds' are set in stone though, and that there's no map, and that off screen active sims do nothing, that there are loading screens between lots. Really, there's a lot more to it than "closed worls makes the game terrible". I really regret this simplifying of complaints.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    People hate the closed lots now because S3 had an open world. Tbh S4's greatest weakness is that fact that S3 existed.
    This question have been asked since launch but we'll never agree on answer to which is better. I just hope they keep the S3 store for a long time because there's still plenty I want from there.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Frankly I don't think there is more to TS4 than 3 at all. I just think everything has been over-simplified to make it easier. Apparently its easier to make money. It's easier to build. It's easier to do everything. It seems like a five year old could play it with no problems.

I don't know why people seem so afraid of a challenge. Sure, building was complicated in TS3 if you didn't know what you were doing, but like everything, with practise you get better. And people produced some spectacular results on really grand scales. TS4 with its chocolate box design, lack of building or terrain tools couldn't possibly do that. I would personally prefer even my sims games to be more difficult.

What people can do in sims 3 when they can build is amazing. The game has no limits from what I've seen.

What I wanted to comment on is not only is the game easier with what seem to be slower need drops and so forth but it is less expensive. I did an experiment and tried to buy the worse apartment in both games and decorate it. In sims 4 I could buy everything, a huge tv and decorate with money left. I even bought the fairly expensive stuff. Sims 3 I bought the cheapest stuff and barely decorated, had to sell one of the items to buy another I needed more.

I hate that in sims 4 in a matter of a few sims weeks, probably not more than 4 my sim have a 3 story house with loads of stuff and 2 kids. No challenge at all. I'm 2 sim week in my sims 3 game and my sim is still dirt poor.. Trying to save up for uni.
  • HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    People saying that the game is too easy and therefore less enjoyable because characters have more skills kind of reminds me of what John Romero said about Daikatana to wriggle out of it sucking. Specifically that it was SUPPOSED to be hard, which somehow excused all the bugs that made the game barely playable and the obscenely plum and poorly programmed weapons that could kill you as easily as the enemy.

I think that you've made a lot of very false equivalences here.

If people say that the game is too easy, in some respects they may feel as if they're not really needed to control their Sims (which is kinda the point of the sims), or that some aspects of the gameplay are very shallow, making it very easy and therefore boring (you can have multiple romantic relationships with very little effort, it only takes about 15-20 interactions with a newly-met Sim to try for a baby). I also have to totally disagree that there's 'more to the game' in Sims 4, and that people are complaining because they've been given 'too much'.

Sims 3 expansion packs in relation to Sims 4 ones, indeed you are right that Sims 4 has of course not ran its course yet, but when Sims 3 was in its 3rd year there was a lot more to do and a lot more content, especially for the price you pay for packs and EPs. And if you are in a current state, does that mean you are not allowed to critically think about the future?

In regards to your last comparison between the open world and a chef not liking marzipan.. I don't even know where to start.

I do not think the Sims 4 is 'terrible', I don't think anyone on this forum has said anywhere in this thread that the Sims 4 is terrible? However, the open world, for a large portion of players, was extremely important. The size of the worlds even was very important for a lot of players. The dev team did not remove the open world because they 'didn't like it', they removed it for optimisation issues. Most players can totally understand this, but feel that there could at least have been a 'meeting in the middle' scenario, to account for those who both liked and disliked the open worlds (loading screens between each lot but a large world and being able to control Sims in each lot, or a medium sized open world with blurred distances).

Your comparisons are rather vague, and have not really been appropriately applied.
    edited February 2017
    HARIBOWS wrote: »

I think that you've made a lot of very false equivalences here.

If people say that the game is too easy, in some respects they may feel as if they're not really needed to control their Sims (which is kinda the point of the sims), or that some aspects of the gameplay are very shallow, making it very easy and therefore boring (you can have multiple romantic relationships with very little effort, it only takes about 15-20 interactions with a newly-met Sim to try for a baby). I also have to totally disagree that there's 'more to the game' in Sims 4, and that people are complaining because they've been given 'too much'.

Sims 3 expansion packs in relation to Sims 4 ones, indeed you are right that Sims 4 has of course not ran its course yet, but when Sims 3 was in its 3rd year there was a lot more to do and a lot more content, especially for the price you pay for packs and EPs. And if you are in a current state, does that mean you are not allowed to critically think about the future?

In regards to your last comparison between the open world and a chef not liking marzipan.. I don't even know where to start.

I do not think the Sims 4 is 'terrible', I don't think anyone on this forum has said anywhere in this thread that the Sims 4 is terrible? However, the open world, for a large portion of players, was extremely important. The size of the worlds even was very important for a lot of players. The dev team did not remove the open world because they 'didn't like it', they removed it for optimisation issues. Most players can totally understand this, but feel that there could at least have been a 'meeting in the middle' scenario, to account for those who both liked and disliked the open worlds (loading screens between each lot but a large world and being able to control Sims in each lot, or a medium sized open world with blurred distances).

Your comparisons are rather vague, and have not really been appropriately applied.
    "Thanks" for 'explaining' the post to me ;) I genuinely didn't get it, but it turns out the parts I didn't get were kind of 'false', shorthand accusations and strange comparisons. I think you nailed it here.

I completely appreciate not everyone needs an open world in this game to enjoy it by the way, even when it's highly important to me. The strange thing is though, that when I play Sims 2 (I played it after playing Sims 3 for years, the UC, so open world had been a status quo for me up to then), I feel less claustrofobic. My sim is more part of a real town somehow than in Sims 4 (where they travel from spot to spot like a sitcom player moves from stage to stage). Thanks to fitting backdrops that make sense and thanks to the literally driving off or walking off the screen. It warrants a feeling of continuity that - at least for me - is very important where it comes to immersion. I think a lot of the things we sacrificed weren't sacrificed for performance's sake by the way, I think they did it because the game was meant to be an online game initially. And no, Sims 4 is not a terrible game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    People hate the closed lots now because S3 had an open world. Tbh S4's greatest weakness is that fact that S3 existed.
    This question have been asked since launch but we'll never agree on answer to which is better. I just hope they keep the S3 store for a long time because there's still plenty I want from there.

This is actually the most fantastic way to describe the "failures" of Sims 4. I play both Sims 3 & 4 and the reason I miss things in Sims 4 is because I know what I have in Sims 3. If Sims 4 were to be released after Sims 2 no one would've be bothered as much as they are now. Toddlers are back which keeps me hope, but big elements like Open world and Cas is such a large and open feature it's logical people rather play Sims 3 and build and play how they want to because it gives them the options to do so.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    The not open world in Sims 4 is a big issue for me. I bought the vampire pack yesterday, made a vampire, stuck him and another sim I made before in a house in Forgotten Hollow, played for quite some time, and actually enjoyed it a lot. (Must be the vampires. I love vampires.).

Forgotton Hollow is small, but you can actually run all around it and only encounter a loading screen when your sim enters a lot other than his own. So you can leave one of your sims at home painting, and go treasure hunting with the other, which is what I want. I do not want to search for apple trees in the park, while the family at home does absolutely nothing. Loading screens in Sims 4 are exactly what they are in Sims 3, with the difference, that in the latter you go to china, and in the former you visit your neighbours. Drives me insane.
    So I guess, the new town is an improvement. A small one. Still can´t control my sim at home, while his roommate visits the vampire mansion.

Camera control is still clunky. Better with the keyboard, but meh.
    Also, I picked the small two stories starter home, and ended up demolishing the second floor and extending the first, because the camera was constantly switching between the stories, without me doing anything.

I don´t know, if they did something concerning needs with the new patch, or if I ran into a bug with my first family. Their needs were dropping so fast, that most days they did nothing but sleep, eat, pee, shower and sleep again. It´s much better now, the vampire needs (apart from thirst) drop really slowly, but the human needs also seem to be better. My sims actually get something done.

I agree with @Pary - the game is so simplyfied, that you have the impression it was meant for children, not for teens and older. Perhaps they should have called it Sims kids or something. Too late now, the vampires look too scary for kids (I think).
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member

You've just convinced me to buy TS4 base game, while it's still on that big sale.

I played TS3 some years ago, but didn't have access to online content. Now, I subscribed to Origin Access and got TS3 Starter Pack (Base game, Late Night & High-End Loft Stuff). I was reminded how I loved the game, but lack of other EPs and other content is frustrating. AND frustrating thing is that I tried Sims 4 trial, and I like the game. I was having a dilemma about (and still have, kind of) committing myself to S3 or S4. Now I realize that I can "risk" and buy Sims 4. The Sims 3 will always be there waiting to be bought (in case if I want to get back to it, and expand the game by buying EPs and other stuff and get too much nostalgic, or get bored, find out that S4 is still too shallow, etc).

I'm sorry for chiming in with my story, but I needed to tell the world about it.
    The open world for me is also extremely important, and the funny thing is that I didn't even realise how important it was to me until I played TS4. The open world creates such a feeling of 'life' around you, as you see Sims from all over town just doing their thing. Of course some lots can be relatively empty when you show up, but I don't really mind that, cause in rl everyone has shown up to a bar that's empty, or gone to somewhere early in the morning when there's no one else really there.

I can only run the game on medium graphics, and even then the worlds are beautiful, detailed and have lots of nooks and crannies that often you don't even find until many hours into the gameplay.

Does anyone know why some people didn't like the open worlds? Was it just lag issues or was it 'too much' for people? I've seen lots of people in the TS4 forums say they never liked the open world, and I've never really understood why.

You've just convinced me to buy TS4 base game, while it's still on that big sale.

I did this also, but bear in mind if you just buy the Base Game, there's not really a lot to do, especially if you bought the starter pack for TS3, as there's quite a lot to do and 3 worlds available with the TS3 starter pack. The gallery content will also leave you feeling 'left behind' if you just buy the base game also, as a majority of lots/Sims there have all used multiple game and stuff packs.

I bought Get To Work for TS4 very soon after as I got bored very, very quickly, which I highly regret now as it's pretty repetitive. If there are several things on sale you might want to consider buying several TS4 stuff packs/ EP's at the same time, so that you have more to do, don't get as bored quickly, and get your money's worth out of the game. Also try read lots on the game before you purchase it, and think about the things YOU value in the game.

I bought the game based on other's opinions, when I didn't really think about what I wanted from a Sims game, which ended up being very silly and meaning I wasted my money on a game that I ended up forcing myself to play just to get my money's worth.

edited February 2017
    ninaumi wrote: »

I played TS3 some years ago, but didn't have access to online content. Now, I subscribed to Origin Access and got TS3 Starter Pack (Base game, Late Night & High-End Loft Stuff). I was reminded how I loved the game, but lack of other EPs and other content is frustrating. AND frustrating thing is that I tried Sims 4 trial, and I like the game. I was having a dilemma about (and still have, kind of) committing myself to S3 or S4. Now I realize that I can "risk" and buy Sims 4. The Sims 3 will always be there waiting to be bought (in case if I want to get back to it, and expand the game by buying EPs and other stuff and get too much nostalgic, or get bored, find out that S4 is still too shallow, etc).

I'm sorry for chiming in with my story, but I needed to tell the world about it.
    A warning: Sims 4 basegame simply is not enough to enjoy Sims 4 (though you are in the luxury position now you'll get the toddlers included of course). When you decide to buy Sims 4 basegame, prepare to need more if you want to enjoy it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    Thank you, your comments are really insightful. I played the trial, as I've already said, and got the taste of the game when it came out. But, I want more, and by that, I mean, the unlimited play. I played S3 for a long time, and I want to try out something new. I think that there were a lot of challenges created by players, even when the game was just starting out to be sold, so I can try some. Therefore, I will have TS3 Starter Pack, and TS4 Base Game. From then, I can see which game is more satisfying. The additions for S4 (like EPs), I can buy anytime in the future, when I get the chance. Now I have the chance to buy S4, and that will be it. I will treat myself with that, as I got my first paycheck after a long time, and with that money I can afford the game, and a little something other than Sims games, but I can't afford other S3 games right now. Although I must admit that I am entering giveaways for Sims 4 additions like crazy. :s
    P.S. They say that, when you get the S3 games through Origin, your games are automatically registered to The Sims 3 website. I can get the Store items (I got some for free), but I can't download anything from the Exchange, because it says that I need to register my game?! :(
  • Sim loveSim love Posts: 517 Member
    I play TS4, I am considering trying TS3
    Hypochondriac :p
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Sim love wrote: »
    I play TS4, I am considering trying TS3

Doooo iiiit
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Sims 4 definitely has things to improve on. Sometimes when I'm doing anything at all, the camera is really awful when it comes to zooming in. Friezes and Trims are completely broken. Rotating lots can do terrible things to your landscaping efforts. I've had a few issues with what you might call invisible sandwiches recently, and when people call you and ask you to go out you have to drop everything, including your emptying bladder.

When somebody complains about something that makes the game actively difficult for them to play, I'm cool with it.

When somebody complains about something being BETTER than something else, they need to take into consideration whether it's just an opinion, because if so then somebody, somewhere will disagree with them. Additionally preferring one does not make the other unplayable.

There's a difference between comparing Windows 7 to Windows 8, and Sims 3 to Sims 4.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top