Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favorite sim spin off?

ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
I was wondering what was everyone's favorite sim spin off? :)

I loved The Sims Medieval never played Castaway but the gameplay I've seen looked really fun.

Comments

• LillaGrisenLillaGrisen Posts: 510 Member
    Hm... That's a hard question. The one's I've played are: the Sims FreePlay, the Sims Medieval, the Sims Castaway Stories, the Sims 2: Castaway (PS2) and the Sims 2: Castaway (DS) (why, yes, three out of five spin offs I've played are apparently castaway-related :mrgreen:)

Since this is a bit of a long one, a TL;DR can be found at the bottom.

The one I definitely wouldn't say is my favourite is the Sims FreePlay, because... well, it's a quote-on-quote "Free-to-play" mobile game.

Then it gets a bit harder. It's hard to pick a favourite, since I think most of these games have some features that make them fun to play in their own way. I

I really liked the Sims Medieval because a lot of its gameplay felt a bit like a "choose your own adventure"-type of game with the quests and there were clear goals for me as a player to complete in order to develop my kingdom and gain access to more sims and - in doing so - more quests (and some of those quests I thought were really entertaining). What did kind of bum me out, though, was the "Sims" label in itself. I'm the type of simmer who likes making a sim and see them get married, have kids and (as cruel as it sounds) die so I can play as their children. Sure, you can have children in TSM, and if your sim dies one of their children will fill their parent's role in your kingdom, but I do miss the aging mechanic in this game. I think as far as my experience with TSM goes, I think it would've been better off if TSM were not labelled a Sims-spin off.

I thought the castaway-themed games were fun in their own right, too. Castaway Stories is more like a story-driven Sims game while both versions of TS2:Castaway focus more on resource management and getting off the island you're trapped on at the start of the game.
    Castaway Stories has a nice and sometimes quite funny (you know how Sims-games can be sometimes :lol:) plot with quirky charcters, not to mention you get to start of your game with old, venomous Spaulding as your only company :blush:.
    TS2:Castaway can be tedious in that sense that you have to go around gathering stuff in order to make any type of progress, but all in all it's really fun to get that feeling of accomplishment when you finally manage to get somewhere (or make new clothes. I don't know why, I just really like making my sim(s) clothes in those games). Other than that, I really like the mini-games (bug-squashing, the spearfishing) in the DS-version and for some peculiar reason I don't know myself I really like watching the hair grow on my sim(s) in the PC-version.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I honestly don't think I can choose a favourite. They're all quite good (well, with the exception of FreePlay) and do not disappoint in my opinion.

TL;DR: I don't like FreePlay. I like the rest of the spin offs in their own way and can therefore not choose a favourite.
    Don't worry about it ;)
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Outside of the sims 1-4, I would definitely say the castaway stories. I have it on my pc and ds and another platform but don't really remember which. Mysims on the Wii was pretty fun too, I know own it on the pc too but don't really play it. Medieval and the expansion wasn't too bad. I've played everything sims on one platform or another and for sure castaway stories is my favorite spin-off :-)
  • LillaGrisenLillaGrisen Posts: 510 Member
    edited January 2017
    I would definitely say the castaway stories. I have it on my pc and ds and another platform but don't really remember which.

:open_mouth: I think you're confusing "Castaway Stories" with "The Sims 2: Castaway". Castaway Stories was only released on PC and Mac, whereas the Sims 2: Castaway was released on Wii, Nintendo DS, PS2 and PSP. Not that I blame you if that was the case. The titles are plummingly similar :lol:
    Don't worry about it ;)
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    I would definitely say the castaway stories. I have it on my pc and ds and another platform but don't really remember which.

:open_mouth: I think you're confusing "Castaway Stories" with "The Sims 2: Castaway". Castaway Stories was only released on PC and Mac, whereas the Sims 2: Castaway was released on Wii, Nintendo DS, PS2 and PSP. Not that I blame you if that was the case. The titles are plummingly similar :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if I was lol, so long ago.
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited January 2017
    It's so hard to choose. i think I have played them all from Most of the My sims games to Medieval and I played the sims 2 castaway on the ps2.

Edit: I remember when I played castaway there were earthquakes that would happen if you stayed in one location for too long and they kind of terrified me as a child.
  • ZexamyrZexamyr Posts: 3 New Member
    MySims Kingdoms and Agents. Both for writing, Kingdom for introduction to the MySims and simple Building mechanics. Agents for Character interactions and story development.
  • TragicClownTragicClown Posts: 58 Member
    Im not sure if this counts but id say Sims Urbz For Gamecube Oh its quite addicting
  • TragicClownTragicClown Posts: 58 Member
    I meant for Gameboy Advance
  • NewbieSimmerNewbieSimmer Posts: 32 Member
    The Sims: Bustin' Out is my favorite Sims spin-off game, and it has been for the past 14 years. So much fun. If EA actually came out with a Bustin' Out DLC pack (with the items from that game too) for The Sims 4, I would play it a lot more.
    Tired, hungry, or bored? Wave at the sky and yell "Foogitsnat!"
    Pic%2B15.PNG

YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/SariaFan93/about
  • insane123insane123 Posts: 3 New Member
    I loved the Sims bustin out, played it so much back when it came out on ps2, Even now i can go back to it and still have fun.
    Castaway games are also great fun.