Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Mods Legal?

I'm very confused about this I looked at the terms of service and it seems that nrass mods aren't legal but I'm not so sure. I'm confused about mods in general likes sliders and hacks are those legal??

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    This question does come up from time to time. The entire structure that allows for Mods/Packages and Resource.cfg was made possible by EA developers when the Ambitions patch came out in 2010 although there was a more complicated way to install them before that. We aren't some sort of secret underground society hiding in the shadows.

Mods are not supported by EA, which means that if you contact them directly for tech support they are likely to ask you to remove them before continuing so as to not confuse their support process such as it is. That is all, mods such as those from NRaas, among many others, and package based custom content in general are not "illegal."

(Puts clever disguise of glasses with the big nose and funny mustache back on and runs away)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    edited February 2017
    Well I'm not in jail yet
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited February 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    pU7VUCQ3SLGFY.JPG

ARREST THAT MAN!!!

B)

Haven't seen him. Only saw a strange man with glasses and a big nose with a funny moustache running from here.
    Post edited by 06Bon06 on
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited February 2017
    There are some MODs that look like they ought to be (IYKWIM). :wink:
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Simanite wrote: »

I don't know if there are sims 3 mods similar to the Sims 4 mods that are *clears throat* questionable, but I never even knew they existed! I was watching a Youtube of Sims 4 gameplay and a certain part come up and I've never scrambled so much in my life. Thank goodness my young daughter was in the other room. :D:D I'd have hated to try to explain that one to her. :D
    p8L4V6v.png
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    I know what mods he/she are talking about they're really gross I don't get why people want well THOSE mods yuck.
  • stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    No they are not illegal, think of it as a free third party add-on to the original product that improves the product to just the way you like it. Yikes I am horrible at explaining. :#
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've never had any trouble with using Mods to fix my game and that's why I've got hundreds of them in there.All of the ones I use are just to fix game issues I kept running into while playing like saves getting corrupted by social workers taking children away and schools overcrowding which causes routing fails on attempts to enter the building which is solved by removing automatic enrollement.That stops it from ever becoming an issue by allowing you to keep some kids out of school and it makes the game more realistic with children and kids having to enroll in school manually.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    If mods are illegal, it's the first time I'm seeing a forum with an entire section dedicated to illegal stuff and the gurus helping members breaking the law LOL !
    It reminds me when I moderated another forum and occasionally, there was a new member going totally hysterical every time they heard of hacks, and saying that we should get denounced to the cops for promoting game hacks :D
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    What's that?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Goldilocks eh....? :D
    5JZ57S6.png
    KatNip wrote: »
    What's that?

Woohoo MODs. :lol:
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I don't know if there are sims 3 mods similar to the Sims 4 mods that are *clears throat* questionable, but I never even knew they existed! I was watching a Youtube of Sims 4 gameplay and a certain part come up and I've never scrambled so much in my life. Thank goodness my young daughter was in the other room. :D:D I'd have hated to try to explain that one to her. :D

Eep lol. And yes there is. :flushed:
  • anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    ahahah I cracked up about the questionable mods xD
    I myself have never used mods in my game and probably never will, but I do enjoy to watch what people make and use in their games :D
  • sweetbluekiana1sweetbluekiana1 Posts: 167 Member
    If they were I would of been jailed a long time ago. I've been using mods since sims 2. But on a serious note they're not. If anything it makes it so the the game doesn't have to be improved aesthetics wise or with general gameplay, because companies rely on modders for their creativity.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Thinking about it, it's a luck for companies because without modding, there wouldn't be many video game developer vocations. Think about the number of future developers who started this way and knew this was the job for them. And it shows employers that you know what you're doing and practice it with love and passion.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited February 2017
    Mods also add appeal for a game which can add to word-of-mouth marketing and sales. Just look at all the Sims fan sites that have appeared over the years based on mods and cc for the game.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • TragicClownTragicClown Posts: 58 Member
    I'll admit I use nraas mod and master controller but you're OK if you use them just e.a dosent support them as others have said so it's best to make a backup of your family and save
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Without NRaas mods I would have stopped playing Sims 3 a long time ago, and would have thrown a lot less money at EA. I guess, I´m not alone in that aspect and EA is well aware of that fact. Otherwise, why would they have made so easy to add them to the game?
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    I have cc , mods and I am not in jail yet and none of the modders are. if so Modthesims, Nrass and co will be in jail and the site closed down with DMCA.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)