Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sound off?

ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
Do you play with the sound on in your game? I did for TS1 and TS3, but for TS4 I don't like it as much... I don't know why. I usually play with my feet up on the sofa with the TV on in the background, but I don't feel like the sounds are as necessary to gameplay as they once were...
Origin ID: ExxCee

Comments

• joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Sound always on. :) Mostly through speakers, but sometimes through headphones if people around me are being too noisy. I like to hear everything.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    I always play with the sound on although I don't like it turned up really loud or anything. The audio is a big part of the game for me.
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I never used to play with sound on. I would always have it off and then plug my headphones into my phone or PC and listen to music whilst I played. Now I'm back to the sound on.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Sound on but I mute in-game music.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Sound on, but I'm usually listening to music or watching a movie or something while I play. I keep the volume high enough to hear while I'm listening to music/watching something, but low enough to where it's not interrupting what I'm listening to/watching.
  • Marmalade27Marmalade27 Posts: 625 Member
    I always play with the sound on. I like hearing what my Sims are doing.
  • RevanRevan Posts: 127 Member
    Whenever I build/furnish a house or create Sims, I prefer to either listen to music or watch YouTube videos - it can be quite inspiring while creating a Sim or designing a house, especially listening to music. :)
    But when I'm in Live Mode, I definitely want to hear my Sims talking, the surrounding ambient noise, etc.
    "Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    You're missing a lot of details playing with the sound off in TS4. Just saying.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I have the sounds on in my games because I could miss something with it off.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Like what? Genuinely curious because I don't feel like I am... but then, maybe I AM missing something...
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited February 2017
    Depends what mood I'm in! For every Sims game, I either mute the game completely and play music in the background, or I leave the full game sound on! ;)
    ExxCee wrote: »

Like what? Genuinely curious because I don't feel like I am... but then, maybe I AM missing something...
    Personally, I wouldn't say that you're missing details, but TS4's Vampire Pack music is absolutely brilliant! :D
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited February 2017
    ^Agreed.

It's the little things like angry sims slamming the fridge door or feet hitting the yoga mat. Plenty of other small detailed sounds that I'm failing to mention.

My monitor speakers don't pick up on small sounds very well so I have to turn off my music and use headphones if I really want to enjoy the sounds... but it's something I enjoy personally.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member

Well, everyone is different. I don't know what you mean by how the sounds don't affect your gameplay as much. But I don't know what your definition of gameplay is.

I love hearing my sims with bad singing skill try to karaoke. The environment sounds are nice as well. This to you might not be about gameplay but for me, it makes it very immersive. Like for example, my sims live in the city and I can hear the honking cars in the morning (sims going to work maybe?) and in the noon, possibly sims going for lunch, etc.

And the different emotions make the sims sound different. A bored sim will tell a joke with a much different tone than a playful sim, etc.

My fav is probably when your sims walk on a surface. High heels make a different sound on a wooden floor than on a metal floor. Again, this might not be gameplay stuff but I just love all these little details and thought put to it. It's a shame some people don't actually play with the sound. You totally should! You'll be surprised by the things you'll hear but you gotta do it with headphones. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member

Well, everyone is different. I don't know what you mean by how the sounds don't affect your gameplay as much. But I don't know what your definition of gameplay is.

I love hearing my sims with bad singing skill try to karaoke. The environment sounds are nice as well. This to you might not be about gameplay but for me, it makes it very immersive. Like for example, my sims live in the city and I can hear the honking cars in the morning (sims going to work maybe?) and in the noon, possibly sims going for lunch, etc.

And the different emotions make the sims sound different. A bored sim will tell a joke with a much different tone than a playful sim, etc.

My fav is probably when your sims walk on a surface. High heels make a different sound on a wooden floor than on a metal floor. Again, this might not be gameplay stuff but I just love all these little details and thought put to it. It's a shame some people don't actually play with the sound. You totally should! You'll be surprised by the things you'll hear but you gotta do it with headphones. :)

Hmmm thank you... I will give it a go this weekend and my boyfriend will just have to put up with me not speaking to him all day! (I'm sure he'll be thrilled :lol: ) I tend to spend more time building I guess so that's probably why I don't feel like it's a great loss to my game, but then I do also of course enjoy playing with my sims and moving them through life stages etc. - I'm just used to doing it without ever hearing any of it!
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sound on definitely. I love most of the in game music and the environmental sounds are really nice. I love hearing the wind chimes. Or in one spot in Willow Creek you can hear the frogs chirping in the nearby water. In City Living, the horns honking and the sirens in the distance really add to the experience.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png