Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is CAW still overheating GPUs?

Since 1.69, we can't use FPS Limiter for CAW any more. The new CAW runs at ~3k FPS. That's going to melt my card. Sims 3 melted two GTX275s before I discovered FPS Limiter. Now I've got a GTX660 & I don't want to melt it.

Since 1.69, I've figured out how to run TS3 with VSync as long as it's at full screen. However, CAW won't run fullscreen, so I can't use the same solution on it.

The last time I tried to install & run CAW was several months ago. Does anyone know if they have found a fix yet?

Comments

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited November 2016
    Your "melting" problem sounds more like an issue caused by lack of ventilation or some other hardware problem. How many case fans do you have in your system? Whenever you add a GPU, it's always important to have enough fans to prevent it from getting overheated.
    EiFlric.png
  • kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    While ventilation is obviously important and something to consider, you've clearly identified that 3000 FPS is not appropriate for CAW. Even if your card doesn't melt, I'd expect that much action to wear it out much sooner than you would otherwise expect—definitely, you need to find a limiter of some kind.

I'm on 1.67 and use an external tool to throttle my FPS on both CAW and Sims 3, so I'm not going to be much help myself. EA certainly hasn't fixed the problem, but I vaguely recall that some utilities have been found to work in windowed mode for the normal game; I honestly can't remember which ones, so this is probably false hope, but it might be useful to look for a solution regarding the game itself.

I just quickly searched for solutions about capping the frame rate of Sims 3 (not CAW) in windowed mode and found this post:
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    If you have an Nvidia card you can use Nvidia Inspector to set Nvidia's built in FPS Limiter. That will work in windowed mode. If you don't have an Nvidia card then I've read that MSI Afterburner can do something similar.

Maybe that will help or at least point you in the right direction. Good luck!
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • SovazSovaz Posts: 51 Member
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Your "melting" problem sounds more like an issue caused by lack of ventilation or some other hardware problem. How many case fans do you have in your system? Whenever you add a GPU, it's always important to have enough fans to prevent it from getting overheated.
    I have no problems playing Overwatch, Aion, WoW, GW2, or pretty much anything except Sims 3 products. If you search these forums for "FPS overheating" you'll see that there are YEARS of complaints about S3 melting hardware due to high FPS. The better your GPU, the higher your FPS, the hotter you burn. I lost two GTX750tis on S3 before I found out about a 3rd party app called FPS Limiter, but patch 1.69 rendered it unusable, so I found a solution in my nVidia Control Panel. This solution won't work with CAW, so I am looking for any other possibilities or the silly pipe dream that EA might actually fix something.
    kellycot1 wrote: »

I just quickly searched for solutions about capping the frame rate of Sims 3 (not CAW) in windowed mode and found this post:
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    If you have an Nvidia card you can use Nvidia Inspector to set Nvidia's built in FPS Limiter. That will work in windowed mode. If you don't have an Nvidia card then I've read that MSI Afterburner can do something similar.
    Thank you for your response! I'll have to go look for that. I managed to fix S3 via nVidia Control Panel VSync configuration, but it will only work in Fullscreen so I am unable to use it on CAW which only runs windowed. I will look into this nVidia Inspector, though, & see if it will work for me. Thank you very much!