Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is on Buzzfeed

https://youtu.be/mnGssfL1N38

Here is a link for the video that buzzfeed has made about Sims 4 if you're interested!

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Just watched it. Smells of placement by the company to me.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Hmm seems like they would have put something like this out when the base game was getting ready to be released to add to the hype. What's the point now? I don't get it.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I love buzzfeed, but it's so hard to really have an opinion if you play like for 20 minutes.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    edited January 2017
    Seems this has come a tad too late. So glad the game appears to be doing well, at least. But, then again, you can pick up the Base game on sale for around $40.00. :open_mouth: Say, what? I paid $70.00 for the Limited Edition. May I please have my change back? :p
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Seems this has come a tad too late. So glad the game appears to be doing well, at least. But, then again, you can pick up the Base game on sale for around $40.00. :open_mouth: Say, what? I paid $70.00 for the Limited Edition. May I please have my change back? :p
    I think you can get it for 25 sometimes. I paid 40 for mine two years back.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2017
    Well, actually, I'd missed quite a few years of sims throughout TS3's time because I was ... idk .. doing other things lol. And when I got TS4 (cause well, idk, I thought let's just go with the newest iteration, that makes sense right?) I didn't feel so different from how they're feeling in the video. Like, it felt pretty TS2ish to me as well. It takes time to discover everything a game has or doesn't have to offer, so I think these reactions are probably quite genuine. What the point is? Idk. It's buzzfeed.
  • KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    I don't think any of them really had much experience with Sims.. they seem like less than casual gamers. I think they just guessed for the most part when they fabricated some past experiences. 20 minutes is definitely not enough time with the game, and I could tell the gameplay was choppy so it wasn't that great of a first impression to play it on a laptop.
  • dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited February 2017
    I saw this yesterday, and watched it with raised eyebrows. These people are wayyy behind when it comes the Sims content.
    Post edited by dorendia122 on
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    The reactions of the people in this video honestly sound/look too forced... lol Just saying. I mean, the black guy referred to an expansion for Sims 2 as "Sims 2: Date Night"... and that never even existed. The fact that he refers to himself as a "hardcore Sims 1 fan" is honestly laughable at best. These people have clearly never actually played The Sims before... or they aren't "former Sims players" (as the video suggested) and only played the game like once or twice in their life. And yes, that would be very possible because a lot of people like to think that if they do something once or twice that it suddenly makes them a fanatic about whatever they did.

I'm assuming these people were given scripts to follow. The video just seems too forced. Especially since quite a few of them made some claim that The Sims 4 has "too many options"... LMAO! That was definitely the part that made me laugh the most. Nice try, EA (there's no doubt they were involved with this video).

Give these people Sims 2 or Sims 3 to play with. I'm willing to bet that their praising of this game would be minimized greatly.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited January 2017
    People are so cynical.

Buzzfeed is a pretty terrible website though. I really dislike how current and trendy they think they are.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited January 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Well, actually, I'd missed quite a few years of sims throughout TS3's time because I was ... idk .. doing other things lol. And when I got TS4 (cause well, idk, I thought let's just go with the newest iteration, that makes sense right?) I didn't feel so different from how they're feeling in the video. Like, it felt pretty TS2ish to me as well. It takes time to discover everything a game has or doesn't have to offer, so I think these reactions are probably quite genuine. What the point is? Idk. It's buzzfeed.
    As a returning fan myself it didn't seem that far fetched to me. I skipped sims 3 completely, but got back playing with the UC. I can kind of relate to the lady in a denim jacket. It's just a video clip anyway.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    "Do somethin' strange, for a piece of change" :wink:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    Guys ... you do realize that if they haven't played since TS1 or 2, they may not have played for an entire decade, right? I don't find it at all weird that after 10 years you don't remember the exact name of an EP, or that you don't remember all the options you had. You don't even know if these people played with all the EPs (I didn't either). So ... I agree with @aaronjc123 some people are just a little too cynical / suspicious. I mean, seriously, ... "propaganda" ... . People really have to ease up a little.
  • jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    "Do somethin' strange, for a piece of change" :wink:

*aggressive winking*
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    edited January 2017
    Yes @ModerateOsprey and I'm relatively certain it is just marketing*. However, that doesn't mean these people never ever played the sims, or that these reactions are necessarily false. Again: playing TS4 if you've missed most of TS3 and were really, really young when you played it does kind of make you think: oh yeah, looks like a normal sim game to me. So even if these people never played the sims (which literally none of us can prove), some people do genuinely react like this under the aforementioned circumstances ^^

* (although @papersuitcase there is a difference between marketing and propaganda - I know you're a fan of men who think that all the media ever do is 'being dishonest for remembering all the things I / we actually did', but that doesn't mean marketing a product is akin to the kind of lying & harm people commonly associate with real propaganda).
  • GeeJawGeeJaw Posts: 45 Member
    "Too many options" Lmao, I don't think that there are enough!
    2a4wpqp.jpg
    edited January 2017
    Yes @ModerateOsprey and I'm relatively certain it is just marketing*. However, that doesn't mean these people never ever played the sims, or that these reactions are necessarily false. Again: playing TS4 if you've missed most of TS3 and were really, really young when you played it does kind of make you think: oh yeah, looks like a normal sim game to me. So even if these people never played the sims (which literally none of us can prove), some people do genuinely react like this under the aforementioned circumstances ^^

* (although @papersuitcase there is a difference between marketing and propaganda - I know you're a fan of men who think that all the media ever do is 'being dishonest for remembering all the things I / we actually did', but that doesn't mean marketing a product is akin to the kind of lying & harm people commonly associate with real propaganda).

Just marketing when it isn't labelled as such doesn't sit right with me.

OK, this particular video is relatively harmless, but this type of promotion (if it is that, I don't actually know for sure, but my spidey sense was tingling!) is the thin of the wedge, IMO.

Companies like the Social Chain are one of many that owns millions of accounts across all social media that are directly used by larger companies/organisations to set trends on a huge range of products and ideologies, so yes in some instances, propaganda would be the right word.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited January 2017
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    People are so cynical.

Buzzfeed is a pretty terrible website though. I really dislike how current and trendy they think they are.

What do you mean ? I love classics like "New Years resolutions for white people" and their series of "a certain group of people stereotypes another group of people" or "overly obese women think their unhealthiness is sexy"

Don't forget '17 funny times we laughed at st*pid men even though laughing at women is always wrong unless she's a comedian then in which case she's funnier than any man in the world'.
    edited January 2017

OK, this particular video is relatively harmless, but this type of promotion (if it is that, I don't actually know for sure, but my spidey sense was tingling!) the thin of the wedge, IMO.

Companies like the Social Chain are one of many that owns millions of accounts across all social media that are directly used by larger companies/organisations to set trends on a huge range of products and ideologies, so yes in some instances, propaganda would be the right word.

So are facebook, twitter, instagram, and even just Google. The internet functions the way it does primarily because of marketing lol. So, yes .. idk, for me that's not propaganda. It's unfortunately just the way of the world these days. You don't even have to try to see hundreds of ads a day, and they tend to work best when they don't look like ads. Propaganda, for me anyway, is often used not only to manipulate / convince, but to form some kind of cohesion / force consensus. Which is why it's such a beloved political tool for dictators. Now, one can certainly argue over that definition and you're right that marketing may share certain features of more "classic" propaganda ... however, maybe I was a little hasty to respond to papersuitcase's point because of his/her frequent spreading of words / ideas related to a certain orange man, and somehow that pushes my buttons & I guess my associations may've gotten the better of me haha. I apologize for that ;)
  • TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    edited January 2017
    The reactions of the people in this video honestly sound/look too forced... lol Just saying. I mean, the black guy referred to an expansion for Sims 2 as "Sims 2: Date Night"... and that never even existed. The fact that he refers to himself as a "hardcore Sims 1 fan" is honestly laughable at best. These people have clearly never actually played The Sims before... or they aren't "former Sims players" (as the video suggested) and only played the game like once or twice in their life. And yes, that would be very possible because a lot of people like to think that if they do something once or twice that it suddenly makes them a fanatic about whatever they did.

I'm assuming these people were given scripts to follow. The video just seems too forced. Especially since quite a few of them made some claim that The Sims 4 has "too many options"... LMAO! That was definitely the part that made me laugh the most. Nice try, EA (there's no doubt they were involved with this video).

Give these people Sims 2 or Sims 3 to play with. I'm willing to bet that their praising of this game would be minimized greatly.

Ummm lol ok. If someone likes the sims 4 it doesnt mean their positive feelings/thoughts will be minimized if they have played the others.

Not really even just talking about the buzzfeed video but the options in sims 2 were definitely limited. Shoes came attached to pants and whatnot. There was no create a style then either. Not about to get into another debate but i have played all the sims games and i very much prefer sims 4.

OK, this particular video is relatively harmless, but this type of promotion (if it is that, I don't actually know for sure, but my spidey sense was tingling!) the thin of the wedge, IMO.

So are facebook, twitter, instagram, and even just Google. The internet functions the way it does primarily because of marketing lol. So, yes .. idk, for me that's not propaganda. It's unfortunately just the way of the world these days. You don't even have to try to see hundreds of ads a day, and that is unfortunately one of the ways they work best: when they don't look like ads. Propaganda, for me anyway, is often used not just to manipulate per so, but to form cohesion. Which is why it's such a beloved political tool for dictators. Now, one can certainly argue over that definition and you're right that marketing may share certain features of more "classic" propaganda ... however, maybe I was a little hasty to respond to papersuitcase's point because of his/her frequent spreading of words / ideas related to a certain orange man, and somehow that pushes my buttons & I guess my associations may've gotten the better of me haha. I apologize for that ;)

All those companies you have mentioned are large commercially orientated organisations where the user is the product.

Interestingly, if you look at internet history it is those companies that have used marketing and trend setting to make themselves the de facto internet standard for essential services that were once provided by protocols that were (and still are) in the public domain.

Look at how Google kindly took over USENET, reinvented it as Google Groups, then quietly let it choke to be replaced by One Account, All of Google that tracks and logs everything which is then shared via third party cookies from our friends at Instagram, Snapchat et al. and merged with data captured at physical locations as well the data captured from our little embedded bit of code up top. Those who were logged into any number of services when viewing that video will now have added that you are interested in the sims to that data.

I think it is important that we products understand that we are just that and that information from these sources are highly likely to be suspect. Yes, you can call that cynicism, but I think it is just having your eyes wide open.

Yes, propaganda as a concept can be morally neutral, but that changes once the outcome has become apparent. The same can be said about these little innocuous adverts - the outcome is - Oh, that is just how it is, no need to question it....

As an aside, I am currently playing a sim that is in the social media career and it makes me chuckle that when given the task of inserting a small advertisment can result in a drop of the number of followers.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Just watched it. Smells of placement by the company to me.

If it is, it legally has to be labelled as such. It would have to say EA sponsored the video or that it was an Ad.
    Hmm seems like they would have put something like this out when the base game was getting ready to be released to add to the hype. What's the point now? I don't get it.

This is just a random Buzzfeed video, most likely Buzzfeed getting views after they got a whiff of the Anniversary. This isn't EA trying to Promo.

TBH, they are playing on such a crappy laptop that's so laggy, it probably makes the game look worse.
    @Kolby wrote: »
    I don't think any of them really had much experience with Sims.. they seem like less than casual gamers. I think they just guessed for the most part when they fabricated some past experiences. 20 minutes is definitely not enough time with the game, and I could tell the gameplay was choppy so it wasn't that great of a first impression to play it on a laptop.

The guy who referenced "Date Night" was the only one who seemed off, but then again the pack he was referring to is "NightLife" and it's a Dating Pack.

The rest all knew about things in 1/2.
    "Too many options."

Confirmed: Buzzfeed is fake news propaganda.

To be fair, coming from Sims 1 (which most are) it's true. They should play Sims 3 with all EPs and Store Content if they wanna feel overwhelmed :joy:
    I saw this yesterday, and watched it with raised eyebrows. These people are wayyy behind when it comes ti Sims content.

Tbh, they're just old school players who played The Sims when they were young. It's just nostalgia for them.

If EA were involved they legally have to call it an ad or sponsored, which Buzzfeed don't.
    Also, EA wouldn't have allowed them to show the game running that slow on that laptop.

The girl that said there was "too many options" played the Sims 1, and she's now playing The Sims 4 with all the packs so far. I would feel overwhelemed too. She didn't know where to start.

OK, this particular video is relatively harmless, but this type of promotion (if it is that, I don't actually know for sure, but my spidey sense was tingling!) is the thin of the wedge, IMO.

It would still be needed to be labelled as an Ad. Even if they try and set trends or whatever. If EA approach them, they have to label it as such. That's why when they got celebs to promote the game they tweeted "#ad"

If EA was behind this video, they would have;

a) Given them a laptop that could actually run the game. The gameplay in this video is laggy and awful.
    b) Shown off some actual gameplay. What we saw doesn't sell the game at all.
    c) Made sure all the information mentioned was correct

This doesn't scream EA at all, simply because they also complain it's "too hard" and the chick who played the Sims 1 was pointing out camera issues in the game. Hardly good promotion, lmao.