Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have I completely lost all my enthusiasm and hope for The Sims 4?

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    OEII1001-

Then you actually agree to post what you desire in the game apparently. In that case you are the same as most of us and why we post.

Yes I know the history - I have many games - Ice Wind Dale was a favorite of mine long ago - among others - I have been a long - long time gamer that goes back before there was even a windows operating system when I had to hand type in machine basic to make games run in a computer.

We owned and played the first ever consoles like VOX and others. I built, programmed and played on an H8 Heathkit pc back in the 80's - so gaming is not new to me. Long before those thing came into being I enjoy arcade pinball - had several in our game room when I was growing up - games have really been a large part of my life and still are. Many family members in programming, pc technicians, and web building - you name it. MY hubby is a pc tech. But I also love the histories of all the games, technology of all kinds and I am not a stranger to most games histories... or forums either.

If I leave the sims forum it is probably an indication I am gone period. LOL. I have been a forum member and always active since Sims 1 - so I would never leave. That said I do not frequent all the forum for all the games I play - many are way too rowdy and I admit it - I honestly do not care for down and dirty kind of confrontations for sure. I enjoy the discussion on Sims forums - helping if I can - and keeping up to date when thing suddenly are here. LOL. I was not intending for that question to make you feel offensive or even wish you'd leave at all. I was simply asking a question if the place annoys you.... etc, etc. As that is why I do not hang around the Bethesda forums - they just seem way beyond angry all the time and just wanting to spar and not improve anything. If you get my drift? But no - truthfully if you give the simmers half a chance - even those you may disagree with - most are actually amazing people and really worth getting to know. I cannot think of a single Simmer here that I don't enjoy reading their posts - even if we disagree.

So if I offended you with that question - I am sorry -didn't mean it to come out directly at you - it is more or less directed at anyone who claims to be so highly annoyed by the forums. Does that make sense?

Then I shall keep my remarks to myself from now on.

Writin_Reg throws her hands up in despair.... Ok... what ever. I give up.... I tried. And failed. Good luck with that attitude... you obviously don't want friends.

That I do not list you or others among them is not indicative of not having friends, or not being interested in friends. The internet is a very poor place to make friends. Of course I am interested in friendship, just like anyone is. I'm simply not interested in your friendship. No offense intended.

My, you're a piece of work. No offense intended.

You can feel that way. You can tell me that I am a piece of work, or scum of the Earth, or use insult-memes if you so desire. I'm not going to return them. I don't know you or care about you enough to be upset by them. Like I said, I'm not interested in your friendship. You might be a decent person away from the internet, and so I won't impugn your character as you attempted to do with my own. I'm not here to move mountains or see past the nasty internet rhetoric or make a statement on the global gaming industry. My interest in the forum is narrow, and friendship is outside of that narrow focus. There is no offense about it, I simply am not interested in relationships here.

Relationships are formed with people when you respond to them whether you like it or not. We now have a relationship, of sorts, as we are responding to each other.

People set out to include you in the discussion, initially about the game, but it seems to me you are more interested in broadcasting how you don't need these lowly internet relationships and making some other cryptic point.

You say, you only come here to catch up with the news, so why did you bother posting at all?

As I told your friend, I find your demand that I silence my views on this forum to be acceptable. As I previously indicated to you, I am also comfortable with your disdain.

I have wasted enough time here. More pressing matters demand my attention. I'm sure there are enough internet combatants to keep you entertained in my absence.

????

No one tried to silence you! Folk tried to include you!

By gum teks all sorts to make up this world doesn't it?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think people forget when they say they want The Sims to be more realistic, is that if The SIms 4 was completely realistic, it would also be extremely DULL.

I play Sims 4 to collect everything and build the perfect house, not because my Sims have any kind of personality.

When people are grouped together at, say, a party, you'll shortly notice that EVERYBODY gets up and dances to the music. Nobody's an individual in a crowd.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I will leave you all, however, with the reality that if you believe something is fundamentally flawed then no amount of effort or dressing is going to remove that intrinsic inadequacy. And so if you feel that The Sims 4 is at its foundation flawed then you are probably wasting your time in attempting to "push" the game in a direction. It then quickly devolves into daily reminders of "I hate this" and little more.

Giving feedback gives some Simmers hope for the future of the franchise. Many hope that there is life in this franchise beyond TS4.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    LadyJester wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    TDU90 wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »
    TDU90 wrote: »
    MorriSan wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Hm. I've seen a lot of posts from the OP and they tend to offer the same arguments. I was curious what H was angry about NOW. What I took away is that they, before 4 went live, wanted an apple. We got a banana. Both fruit, but B not to the OPs taste and just because the banana got extra flavor with time ( a little ice cream, some chocolate...) it will NEVER be an apple.

Fighting about taste is pretty pointless. Peole like what they like. Some like both bananas and apples....

What annoys me is that some people who don't like the core concept of Sims4 are very free with calling it shallow and other not so nice adjectives, which strongly implies that people who like it might be shallow too. I've played since Sims1 (yes, I am that old) and every iteration had a unique feel. I loved 1, was meh about 2, liked 3 and love 4. Does that make me easy or easily satisfied? Please keep in mind that I play two franchises regularly: Sims and World of Warcraft, nothing else because it doesn't interest me enough. I'm very picky about what I play. Some Eps in both games don't interest me, ergo I don't play them, it's that easy. Calling me shallow will get me annoyed very fast.

@Mchap353 those fantastic gaming laptops are, for me (and the majority of people), like glittering jewels behind a shopping window where I might press my nose to but never be able to buy in time for it to be top of the art. The industry is fast, but it will be years until they get affordable and until then the 'competition games' will require the new next gen of gaming machines. It's a viscious circle.

One reason why Sims (and WoW, come to think of it) are so successfull and have a huge player base (millions, not hundred thoussands) is that they don't require a high end machine. If Sims5 came out within the year, with the content of 3's basic, the new building and CAS options of 4, open world, more intelligent NPCs, more detailed world.... I know my computer would explode.

Morrisan

Some people just take other's dislike for the sims four far too personally.
    Are you for real lol?
    So if I think city living plum. I think people who love it also suck?
    How the plum did you work that out?
    So you can't handle the negitive stuff and then twist it to sound like if somebody think its swallow thinks your swallow
    We are taking about the game dear not you :#
    Get a grip.
    Yes its annoying to you seeing that not everybody thinks the game rocks. That's how it is but don't try to twist it into something else.

Strongly implies your shallow to lol

Maybe it might be best for you it ignore negative feedback comments and stop trying to twist them in to some kind of personal hate.to simmers who love the games.

I'm not going to fight with you but going by your very rude and very aggressive response I hit a spot, eh? And try to apply a little bit of reading comprehension, pay attention to words like 'some players' for example and that I never said they intended to be so insulting. I've got a thick skin but there's a reason people avoid this section of the forums. There's big difference between expressing dislike for a game or a feature of a game as a personal reason and making statements like: "could never like it because it is so shallow". Or, a variation I've also seen in the past: "I can't understand how anyone can like this shallow plum. EA is milking people with an unfinished game." How is that not heavily implying that people who don't agree are plum? I' neither blind nor is my memory spotty and I remember names and the lines tally up.

Repeating myself: Fighting about taste is pretty pointless. Peole like what they like. Some like both bananas and apples

But when you apply VALUE to TASTE...

Skyrim is a universally, critically acclaimed game. I bought it and hated it, yet I was objective enough to notice that it is a fantastic, high quality game. It was just not to my taste.

That cannot be said of The Sims 4 base game. It's a game that's supposed to be based on real life and its purpose is to allow the player to control a simulated life of a human. Yet it has babies that are only allowed to be interacted with at a bassinet, no toddlers, children that go to bars, teenagers that look like adults, and virtually no unique abilities or differences between the life states.

There are no usable vehicles because sims teleport everywhere and there is no in-game explanation. Even MMORPGs have lore appropriate explanations to explain teleporting/fast travel because they know it is immersion breaking. Yet a game that is based on real life doesn't bother.

Then you have the fact that you cannot specify family relationships in CAS other than immediate, and the sims in live mode of the game do not recognise relatives as being related. Sims didn't react to sims for over a year until it was patched. There is no way for a sim to be informed when a relative or friend dies off the loaded lot. Sims do not remember anything. Have a fight and two seconds later they will be grinning at each other. Yet this is supposed to be game about the relationships between sims!

The above alone objectively points out this is not a high quality game; it is a poor game. Yes, people might find it fun, but that does not make it high quality.

Add in the tablet game map, traits that do not make sims unique and are overridden by the binary emotion system, the closed world nature of the game (unacceptable for a game of this era), NPCs that perform their job poorly and a routing system that lets sims just walk through each other and you have one poor quality, mess of a game.

Yes, toddlers are here so that mistake has been rectified. Yes vampires are fantastic and the quality of that pack is high, but everything else in game is lacklustre and poor. Sim A.I. needs attention asap.

You may like the game and there is nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend this is a high quality game when it quite clearly isn't.

This is just a sill childish opinion. To say something is not high quality because you dont like it. Still not getting why you and others are still attacking this game rather than moving on and enjoying something you do like. I never talk about sims 3 outside of these anti sims 4 rants.

Really if sims 3 is such a perfectly fun game why arent you playing more than you are trashing sims 4? Why are sims 3 fanatics waiting for sims 5? I thought sims 3 was already perfect? What is sims 3 missing that youre looking for another game?

I've never seen any say that TS3 is a perfect game. I've seen people say it's a better game. I've seen people say TS2 is a better game. But that by no means makes any of them perfect.

I see a lot of Simmers able to talk about iterations with objectivity, which is great, but I also see a lot of people feeling personally threatened when someone doesn't like the iteration they don't. I don't understand why that is.

I prefer TS3, I think it's a better game than the current one but by no means is it perfect. Why am I waiting for TS5? Because I'm hoping for a game that progresses forward. A game that combines all the good from TS1 - TS4. I have hope so I wait for something better and while I wait, I give feedback in hopes that things will be improved for the future. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

Sims 3 fans take it personally when you question their motives for attacking the sims 4 all of the time too. For me its not a matter of being offended because someone doesnt prefer sims 4. Thats a line thats sims 3 fans always fall back on. Theres just literally nothing to gain from posting " i hate this game..It plum" over and over again.

Why cant sims 3 fans just be happy in the meanwhile and play their favorite game and wait on a new version they do like rather than continue to create negative threads just to say "this game iz terrible."
    No, it's Sims 4 fans that take everything personally. "You think the game is shallow? Then you're implying I'm shallow!!" People are talking about a game lacking, nobody is taking anything personal. Seems to me you are though.

Or you know it could be both sides that do this...
    No. At least, I never saw anyone screaming: "What, you hate open world? Then you must hate me because I love it." Even when people state players aren't creative enough to appreciate Sims 4 nobody gets angry. So no, just no. All I see is people trying to point out issues with a game and everytime others are taking it to a personal level. And sorry but it's always the Sims 4 groupies that do it (mind you, not Sims 4 fans per se, but the Sims 4 groupies).
    I love how so many people have taken up "the game is flawed at it's core" as their next complaint after toddlers were added. I knew it would be like this, I predicted it almost 2 years ago in this same forums. It's not helpful though. With toddlers, the devs heard the community and made the game better for everyone. But now "the game is flawed at it's core", as if it hadn't improved at all since launch. You can't point to the elusive flawed core and say what it is, and if you do so, it's a handful of features that are not in TS4 yet, even though there are even more TS4 exclusive features that are missing from the other games. There is a lot of time left for TS4. Fan favorite EPs will come, missing features will be patched along with brand new ones, and once it's complete and TS5 comes, that one will be incomplete even though it can be an advancement in the series. It's always how it goes.

:confused: People were saying that long before toddler came though... Some people realized toddlers just weren't going to fix everything two weeks into The Sims 4. When I played it for the first time I realized toddlers weren't going to fix it's issues and that was in the first five months. I thought toddlers, pets, and seasons would change everything for me and then I sat down and played the game and realized that all of that wouldn't fix things for me.

Toddlers are here, and that's great. That has been an issue right out the gate, but as some people played TS4 they started noticing that issues go beyond toddlers before there were toddlers in the game. Check out the feedback section. Go back to 2014 even. Core issues have been mentioned for a while now. Those of us commonly considered the "complainers" (some of whom like the game) give the devs props for what they've done, especially what's been done lately, but those few changes or additions don't change everything.
    Quite right, there even have been topics where people were asked if toddlers would fix everything and many said no, it wouldn't fix everything. If people were under the impression toddlers were the only problem, they haven't been reading properly.
    That being said, though they don't fix the whole game for me, it is the toddlers that have me hopeful again, because they behave exactly how I want sims to behave. And their parents react to them in ways I've never seen them reacting to other life stages in TS 4 before. They even - gasp - look at them!! They are making eye contact. Now, if they can find a way - and take the effort to find that way - to broaden this to the other life stages, that would mean a great deal to me and change everything.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I think people forget when they say they want The Sims to be more realistic, is that if The SIms 4 was completely realistic, it would also be extremely DULL.

I play Sims 4 to collect everything and build the perfect house, not because my Sims have any kind of personality.

When people are grouped together at, say, a party, you'll shortly notice that EVERYBODY gets up and dances to the music. Nobody's an individual in a crowd.

It depends on the party. I have been to parties with one person trying to dance and everyone else is slumped out on the floor but then again the type of parties I wen to where a bit more 'different' to those glamour parties that they expect our Sims to go to :no_mouth:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I'd just like to point out that I do find it interesting that it has been announced that t-shirts for all ages, an Origin sale, a chance at giveaways, and a patch is being released for the Sims' 17th anniversary and the majority of Simmers that have posted at the moment are more interested in bug fixes than anything else. That should say something right there!
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Every time I see this sort of thing from the usual suspects I think about how awful it would be if I were to spend years on the Bethesda forums ranting about those games that I do not enjoy. It is a good thing that I do not subject myself to that sort of misery, and rather choose to concentrate on the games that I enjoy.

You can't really compare Skyrim, Fallout, etc. to the Sims franchise though. They are different types of games with different fans. The Sims is very close to many people's hearts, it's been around for 17 years, many people grew up playing the sims. It's a game that you get heavily attached to because of the sims themselves and the families you create. When people post on these forums saying how sad and disappointed they are with TS4 it's not because they choose to feel that way and like to say bad things about the game. It's because they hate to see what has become of their beloved game. Some people get angry, others get sad, different people have different reactions to disappointment, but it's always the same in the end: they would not be here if they didn't care. It's not that easy to simple give up on a game that is so special to you and "concentrate on the games you enjoy". It's like giving up on a friend or family member just because they are going through a dark time. No, you don't give up. You try to make them listen to you, again and again, and eventually they will come through. That is literally what happened with TS4 and toddlers. Don't forget what Graham said "Your feedback, your persistence, and your passion for Sims helped make today possible."
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Every time I see this sort of thing from the usual suspects I think about how awful it would be if I were to spend years on the Bethesda forums ranting about those games that I do not enjoy. It is a good thing that I do not subject myself to that sort of misery, and rather choose to concentrate on the games that I enjoy.

You can't really compare Skyrim, Fallout, etc. to the Sims franchise though. They are different types of games with different fans. The Sims is very close to many people's hearts, it's been around for 17 years, many people grew up playing the sims. It's a game that you get heavily attached to because of the sims themselves and the families you create. When people post on these forums saying how sad and disappointed they are with TS4 it's not because they choose to feel that way and like to say bad things about the game. It's because they hate to see what has become of their beloved game. Some people get angry, others get sad, different people have different reactions to disappointment, but it's always the same in the end: they would not be here if they didn't care. It's not that easy to simple give up on a game that is so special to you and "concentrate on the games you enjoy". It's like giving up on a friend or family member just because they are going through a dark time. No, you don't give up. You try to make them listen to you, again and again, and eventually they will come through. That is literally what happened with TS4 and toddlers. Don't forget what Graham said "Your feedback, your persistence, and your passion for Sims helped make today possible."

Violating my banishment clause to inform you of some things of which you seem to be unaware.

Fallout has been around for 20 years. Counting the precursor game, Wasteland, puts that total at 29 years. The Elder Scrolls has been around for 23 years. Both of those series have seen significant changes from their roots, and roleplaying games in general have seen dramatic changes. People are just as passionate about those changes as you are about changes for The Sims series. Do not be so quick to dismiss them.
    Post edited by OEII1001 on
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Loanet wrote: »

Well said.

Realism should exist but in the proper areas.

However, my sims DO have personality, wich is why unless i intetionally make them with similar traits it can be a hell to control but a fun kind of hell in my opinion , the system could be better but i like it well enough. That said, it does not stop me from building a perfect house either.
    jr73Y.gif

• candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I don't know what people want I didn't like the game in the beginning but I do now. There are some things missing that Sims 3 had but there are a lot of different things about SIMs 4 I like that fact that they interact better even if they talk to much. If you don't like the game then find a different one. The Sims is the Sims it is about Family and Life.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Well.... I do declare.
    WhaPop_zps4jinudl0.png

I really love those plumbobs you make :joy:
    giphy_1.gif
  • TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    I love how so many people have taken up "the game is flawed at it's core" as their next complaint after toddlers were added. I knew it would be like this, I predicted it almost 2 years ago in this same forums. It's not helpful though. With toddlers, the devs heard the community and made the game better for everyone. But now "the game is flawed at it's core", as if it hadn't improved at all since launch. You can't point to the elusive flawed core and say what it is, and if you do so, it's a handful of features that are not in TS4 yet, even though there are even more TS4 exclusive features that are missing from the other games. There is a lot of time left for TS4. Fan favorite EPs will come, missing features will be patched along with brand new ones, and once it's complete and TS5 comes, that one will be incomplete even though it can be an advancement in the series. It's always how it goes.

Perhaps 'flawed at is core' is a bit strong, I agree, but there are no doubt there are basic flaws.

The flaws are in the behaviour of the sims,many of which have been around in one way or another since launch.

The criticism of non reactions of surrounding sims is perfectly valid. Only last night, I had a sim sleeping at his girlfriends house. A vampire broke in and started sucking blood from the sim and the other two were stood right next to the event. One just stood there grinning like an plum, the other sat down and played blicblock. I am sure others could provide a pretty substantial list of other examples.

There are a lot of other examples that eventually just grind you down (well, they do me) - musical chairs, dropped items from queues, sim suddenly running across the map to do an enchanting introduction on some random sim across the other side of the map, to name just a handful of examples.

Don't misunderstand me, the Sims 4 is easily the most addictive game I play. Unlike the OP, I enjoy playing it immensely, but eventually these small little problems add up and I end up leaving the game for long periods of time. When I came back to playing in this last week, I had only been playing for 10 minutes, before I started to see these flaws and knew that they, in time, they would drive me off again.

I just don't see these as a reason to be so strong against the game. The other ones had their flaws, bugs and weird behavior too. And in TS4 the issues you mention can still be improved or fixed.

Right. Ts3 sims had plenty of aloof, unaware, nonsensical behavior. But ohhh well....
    edited January 2017

Violating my banishment clause to inform you of some things of which you seem to be unaware.

Fallout has been around for 20 years. Counting the precursor game, Wasteland, puts that total at 29 years. The Elder Scrolls has been around for 23 years. Both of those series have seen significant changes from their roots, and roleplaying games in general have seen dramatic changes. People are just as passionate about those changes as you are about changes for The Sims series. Do not be so quick to dismiss them.

Yeah, I knew that and somehow I knew that was the only thing you were going to pick up from my comment. My point was that those who "rant about games they don't enjoy" are actually passionate fans trying to voice their disappointment on a game that is part of a franchise they love and that it's not as simple as give up on said game and "choose to concentrate on the games that they enjoy". Specially when there's hope that our feedback will be heard (like the toddler situation). I honestly don't see why so many people get annoyed by this. You aren't losing anything from our "ranting". If anything, it will only improve the game in the long run.

Yeah, I knew that and somehow I knew that was the only thing you were going to pick up from my comment. My point was that those who "rant about games they don't enjoy" are actually passionate fans trying to voice their disappointment on a game that is part of a franchise they love and that it's not as simple as giving up on said game and "choose to concentrate on the games that they enjoy". Specially when there's hope that our feedback will be heard (like the toddler situation). I honestly don't see why so many people get annoyed by this. You aren't losing anything from our "ranting". If anything, it will only improve the game in the long run.

If you had bothered to read the final two sentences of my remarks you would have seen that I equated their passion as no less than your own. You are more similar than you realize, the difference being they do not hold to the pretense that their arguing on the internet is somehow productive. You reject this, of course. I knew you would.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member

@NeonHighways - This is an interesting observation. I think you'll find a lot of Simmers that have thought the game was flawed at it's core from the beginning. But I think you'll find with that as well that some Simmers, even if they don't like or play the game, can applaud the devs for their hard work on the toddlers; however, as well as they're done, it doesn't cover up the overall problems with the core of the game. As some other Simmer has put it; it's like toddlers were a band-aid, just a temporary fix. You will even find Simmers that do play the game saying, yes, toddlers are great, but once they grow up, they're back to the same problems with the core.

What do you see as the handful of features that are not in the game yet, that you think are coming? Exclusive features that are missing from other games? I'd hope so; with that 4 on the end of The Sims, it's meant to progress, so there should be features that weren't in previous iterations; although, I'm curious as to what you think the exclusive features are (yes, some of the build tools and CAS tools are exclusive, good, and progressive).

What missing features to you think will be patched in? CASt, CAW, open world?

I do believe open neighborhood might be a thing, and terrain tools and smaller features like curved pools and firefighters might come, but there are still new things they can add that are new to the series, like the new indoor lighting coming through windows, new types of water in the pool, and the new cas gender customization options. I noticed you mentioned people were still unsatisfied with the core of TS4, but didn't say what that flaw was. Some people won't like the game, and that's okay. People have different preferences, and maybe the mix of characteristics just don't appeal to them. Some people didn't like 2 or 3 and play the others. It's nice that we have so many complete Sims games, there's always something for people to like!

@NeonHighways - Apologies I didn't answer about the flaws as @blueturtleotter did a pretty good job of it on page 12.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding when you say 'flawed at its core' - as I take it to be base game. The base game was released over 2 years ago, so it should have been finished before release with terrain tools, curved pools, firefighters. It's flawed because it was released unfinished. Yes, they may correct it in the future, but that still makes it flawed at its core when it was released.

Like I said in my previous post, I should hope that they add new things to a Sims game and progressing on from previous iterations; I think that's what Simmers in general hope for when a new iteration comes out; progression. So the fact that you're talking about the new features that were added to Sims 4 (which are great!) still doesn't compensate for the fact that the game was released unfinished ('flawed at its core'), it cut out major major features, and still 2 years later, devs are trying to fix features that should have been done at release.

That's the thing. It's not release anymore. That time is long gone. We're talking in 2017 about Sims 4 in 2017! Lots of stuff have changed, so I thing it's insane to talk about its flaws at launch when we can't play the game at that state for more than 2 years! Can this not be a thing anymore? The same way the game is improved now, it will keep on being improved, because it's not finished yet. The state it was released in doesn't matter in current talks because it's not the reality of the game anymore!

Yeah, I knew that and somehow I knew that was the only thing you were going to pick up from my comment. My point was that those who "rant about games they don't enjoy" are actually passionate fans trying to voice their disappointment on a game that is part of a franchise they love and that it's not as simple as giving up on said game and "choose to concentrate on the games that they enjoy". Specially when there's hope that our feedback will be heard (like the toddler situation). I honestly don't see why so many people get annoyed by this. You aren't losing anything from our "ranting". If anything, it will only improve the game in the long run.

If you had bothered to read the final two sentences of my remarks you would have seen that I equated their passion as no less than your own. You are more similar than you realize, the difference being they do not hold to the pretense that their arguing on the internet is somehow productive. You reject this, of course. I knew you would.

And you are the judge of this? Deciding who is pretending or not. I am guessing that at the lofty height of your insight, knowledge and intelligence, we should all bow to your greater wisdom.

So please do enlighten us. Tell us, your flock, what productive things we should be doing. I guess general banter is out...no productivity there.

I am listening and waiting to be uplifted.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    edited January 2017

Thing is, your initial comment to which I first reply to, didn't seem to imply that you know these are just fans voicing their opinions in the hopes the game will get better (at least in TS4's case). You made it sound like they are on the forums wasting their time on a game they don't like instead of playing games they like and it's just not that simple, which was my initial point. If you agree with that, then good, we agree. I do not agree that it's not productive because, I'll repeat, the free update with toddlers showed that our persistence and feedback helped made it possible. So yes, it's productive in the sense that, leaving constructive criticism can help make TS4 a better game in the future. It's not productive when you simply say "I am not happy with TS4" and don't list your reasons and what you would like to see improved. The forums are about fans talking about their experiences with the game just as is a place to leave feedback and ideas, that's why there are two sections with those names.

And you are the judge of this? Deciding who is pretending or not. I am guessing that at the lofty height of your insight, knowledge and intelligence, we should all bow to your greater wisdom.

So please do enlighten us. Tell us, your flock, what productive things we should be doing. I guess general banter is out...no productivity there.

You are not my anything, let alone a flock. But you expect me to convince you that you are wrong on the internet. This is not something that anyone will be able to do.

Thing is, your initial comment to which I first reply to, didn't seem to imply that you know these are just fans voicing their opinions in the hopes the game will get better (at least in TS4's case). You made it sound like they are on the forums wasting their time on a game they don't like instead of playing games they like and it's just not that simple, which was my initial point. If you agree with that, then good, we agree. I do not agree that it's not productive because, I'll repeat, the free update with toddlers showed that our persistence and feedback helped made it possible. So yes, it's productive in the sense that, leaving constructive criticism can help make TS4 a better game in the future. It's not productive when you simply say "I am not happy with TS4" and don't list your reasons and what you would like to see improved. The forums are about fans talking about their experiences with the game just as is a place to leave feedback and ideas, that's why there are two sections with those names.

Then we do not agree. To be fair, I did not expect to reach consensus.

And so, if the two of you are through berating me for the crime of disagreeing with your views I would like to be re-banished back to the lower regions of the unwelcome.
    edited January 2017

You are not my anything, let alone a flock. But you expect me to convince you that you are wrong on the internet. This is not something that anyone will be able to do.

And so, if the two of you are through berating me for the crime of disagreeing with your views I would like to be re-banished back to the lower regions of the unwelcome.

I gave up on expectations about 3 decades ago. That was pure sarcasm
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....

I gave up on expectations about 3 decades ago.

I'll take your non sequitur as sign that our discourse has indeed reached an end and will get my coat. I will show myself out.
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    OEII1001-

Then you actually agree to post what you desire in the game apparently. In that case you are the same as most of us and why we post.

Yes I know the history - I have many games - Ice Wind Dale was a favorite of mine long ago - among others - I have been a long - long time gamer that goes back before there was even a windows operating system when I had to hand type in machine basic to make games run in a computer.

We owned and played the first ever consoles like VOX and others. I built, programmed and played on an H8 Heathkit pc back in the 80's - so gaming is not new to me. Long before those thing came into being I enjoy arcade pinball - had several in our game room when I was growing up - games have really been a large part of my life and still are. Many family members in programming, pc technicians, and web building - you name it. MY hubby is a pc tech. But I also love the histories of all the games, technology of all kinds and I am not a stranger to most games histories... or forums either.

If I leave the sims forum it is probably an indication I am gone period. LOL. I have been a forum member and always active since Sims 1 - so I would never leave. That said I do not frequent all the forum for all the games I play - many are way too rowdy and I admit it - I honestly do not care for down and dirty kind of confrontations for sure. I enjoy the discussion on Sims forums - helping if I can - and keeping up to date when thing suddenly are here. LOL. I was not intending for that question to make you feel offensive or even wish you'd leave at all. I was simply asking a question if the place annoys you.... etc, etc. As that is why I do not hang around the Bethesda forums - they just seem way beyond angry all the time and just wanting to spar and not improve anything. If you get my drift? But no - truthfully if you give the simmers half a chance - even those you may disagree with - most are actually amazing people and really worth getting to know. I cannot think of a single Simmer here that I don't enjoy reading their posts - even if we disagree.

So if I offended you with that question - I am sorry -didn't mean it to come out directly at you - it is more or less directed at anyone who claims to be so highly annoyed by the forums. Does that make sense?

Then I shall keep my remarks to myself from now on.

Writin_Reg throws her hands up in despair.... Ok... what ever. I give up.... I tried. And failed. Good luck with that attitude... you obviously don't want friends.

No they just want to feel sorry for themselves for no reason at all. :D
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited January 2017
    ibaeshaC wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    ibaeshaC wrote: »
    - sims are generic and not unique
    - Missing create a style.
    -missing open World and terrain elevation.

Well, those are the three points I can readily repeat.

Thanks! For me, I disagree with point 1. Vehemently. My game is filled with unique looking/acting characters! From Shrek and Fiona to the Addams Family.

Create-a-style and open world caused TS3 to run like plum, even on my gaming pc. Still trying to figure out how people tolerate that game. Perhaps they don't play other games and don't notice it. Terrain elevation sounds like something that still might happen. Pools happened, afterall.

Not everybody has those problems ;)

So I've come to understand. I only had 3 EPs and 1 stuff pack. According to a post of mine from 2009, I initially did not have performance issues with the basegame. I did keep my PC up to date, as I am a gamer first. In August of 2014, I bought the Supernatural EP and gave TS3 another go. The PC had definitely been upgraded over the years and I had played everything from GW2 to Dragonage: Inquisition (although that came out in Nov 2014) on that build of my rig. TS3 had the usual performance issues with a fresh install, no cc, no mods. I made it 6 hours before the frustration of the lag/hangups/etc set in and I decided to wait for TS4. And when TS4 came out in September 2014, I bought it and to my amazement, it ran beautifully. This also reinforced in my mind that it was not my PC, but the game that was the problem.

After reading how magical TS3 was for so many people in this thread, I am saddened I didn't get to have that same experience. I also know that I will never relate to the people who had a full compliment of content or close to it because I never bothered due to the issues I had. I've never owned Seasons in any iteration of The Sims and people seem to be obsessed about it.

I am so sorry for you . the only problem I had were things Like,

Store content

If I installed too much my game would become slow and even crash or just take for ever to load items

CC content and mods

CC would have the same problems as store content above.

The mods as long as not too many ran well

I was contently having launcher errors when uploading to my sims 3 page

I have save errors at times

That's about it

Sorry for you again.
    Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I somewhat agree with the OP, but my thing about sims 4 is teens, I can deal with babies in a bassinet and the toddlers are so cute, I love the kids and even playing the game, but as soon as the kid turns into a teen, I am so devastated that I cannot enjoy the game after that. My heart drops in my stomach and I cannot make myself even believe this is a teen. My whole game becomes lost. I can't think. Jumping from a kid to a collage age teen is devastating to me. Some how it just throws my game play off. Teen, YA and A all look, act and where the same clothes. That is the one thing that keeps me from coming back to play for weeks. I am right now playing Sims 3 much, much more. I am finding it more fun. I would love to like playig the sims 4, but I just feel so let down when they turn to a teen.[/quoten

Is the start of your post ment
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    LadyJester wrote: »
    I have liked the sims 4 from the beginning. Even now I still like it. What I don't understand is when people get the things that they want...like toddlers and then say "OH well EA is just trying to cover things up..." Like that really makes no sense at all... Toddlers were something that a lot of people apparently wanted and they added them in. Also when people say "Well they should of been in the base game from the beginning." Ok well we have them now...so whats the problem? Don't get me wrong. The sims 4 still needs a lot of stuff added to it. I just wonder you know after all the SP's, and GP's, and even EP's come out will people still hate it? Im pretty sure people disliked the sims 3 when it first came out but now its just the best game ever. I will probably be riding out this bumpy ride to the end. Right now since the addition of Toddlers and Vampires it seems people are starting to play the sims 4 again and even buying the packs they didn't buy before.

No, it's not. And never will be. But that's subjective too. ( have to say that)

I didn't bother with 3 until 2012 and I kept buying content wondering when it was going to get good like 2. It never did. Not for me. So glad 4 is here!
    This isn't about liking or not liking an iteration, it's about a basegame lacking body. And this can only be judged by people who basically like the game. I see tons of Sims 3 fans declaring they loved the basegame, I also see tons of Sims 4 fans declaring they considered its basegame boring and empty (topics like 'I finally start to feel Sims 4 is becoming a full game'). The fact Sims 4 does become better for me now proves this: they have added things to the game that make it playable/enjoyable for me now. Buying additions for Sims 3 never made you like it, because apparently you don't like the basic concept of the game (which I in fact can understand because I know why I do like it, it's that's kind of game, it suits you or it doesn't) and nothing they added could change that.

The sims 4 can only be judged my basically people you like the sims 4 :o:D

Sorry that's not how it works. what do you think reviews are here for?
    Reviewers ain't gonna say the games amazing if its not.
    Keep dreaming
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

@NeonHighways - This is an interesting observation. I think you'll find a lot of Simmers that have thought the game was flawed at it's core from the beginning. But I think you'll find with that as well that some Simmers, even if they don't like or play the game, can applaud the devs for their hard work on the toddlers; however, as well as they're done, it doesn't cover up the overall problems with the core of the game. As some other Simmer has put it; it's like toddlers were a band-aid, just a temporary fix. You will even find Simmers that do play the game saying, yes, toddlers are great, but once they grow up, they're back to the same problems with the core.

What do you see as the handful of features that are not in the game yet, that you think are coming? Exclusive features that are missing from other games? I'd hope so; with that 4 on the end of The Sims, it's meant to progress, so there should be features that weren't in previous iterations; although, I'm curious as to what you think the exclusive features are (yes, some of the build tools and CAS tools are exclusive, good, and progressive).

What missing features to you think will be patched in? CASt, CAW, open world?

I do believe open neighborhood might be a thing, and terrain tools and smaller features like curved pools and firefighters might come, but there are still new things they can add that are new to the series, like the new indoor lighting coming through windows, new types of water in the pool, and the new cas gender customization options. I noticed you mentioned people were still unsatisfied with the core of TS4, but didn't say what that flaw was. Some people won't like the game, and that's okay. People have different preferences, and maybe the mix of characteristics just don't appeal to them. Some people didn't like 2 or 3 and play the others. It's nice that we have so many complete Sims games, there's always something for people to like!

@NeonHighways - Apologies I didn't answer about the flaws as @blueturtleotter did a pretty good job of it on page 12.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding when you say 'flawed at its core' - as I take it to be base game. The base game was released over 2 years ago, so it should have been finished before release with terrain tools, curved pools, firefighters. It's flawed because it was released unfinished. Yes, they may correct it in the future, but that still makes it flawed at its core when it was released.

Like I said in my previous post, I should hope that they add new things to a Sims game and progressing on from previous iterations; I think that's what Simmers in general hope for when a new iteration comes out; progression. So the fact that you're talking about the new features that were added to Sims 4 (which are great!) still doesn't compensate for the fact that the game was released unfinished ('flawed at its core'), it cut out major major features, and still 2 years later, devs are trying to fix features that should have been done at release.

That's the thing. It's not release anymore. That time is long gone. We're talking in 2017 about Sims 4 in 2017! Lots of stuff have changed, so I thing it's insane to talk about its flaws at launch when we can't play the game at that state for more than 2 years! Can this not be a thing anymore? The same way the game is improved now, it will keep on being improved, because it's not finished yet. The state it was released in doesn't matter in current talks because it's not the reality of the game anymore!

Wait. Are you saying you don't think that the base game, the foundation on which every pack is built upon, matters in current talks of the game?

It doesn't matter what they add, that base game will always be that, the base game. It's the foundation. The basics. No matter what people have to have the base game if they're going to have even one pack and if the base game has flaws, unless they fix the base game, it doesn't matter what all they add. It's still flawed and those flaws are going to shine through.

If I went out and built a foundation for a house but there are dents in some places, cracks in others, and left side falls off at a ten degree angle for no reason; just because I build a bunch of new stuff over it doesn't make the base of the house less relevant. Some people may say it has character but others are going to wonder why my house is slanted and the floor is sinking in the living room, and the bathroom's a little shaky.

The base game matters. Just because they added new things doesn't mean it's changed.
    KqGXVAC.jpg