Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Same Face Syndrome Help

Alright, so I'm not sure if anyone else seems to have this issue, but I have a serious problem with giving pretty much all my sims the same face (or at least very similar). I will usually give a different hairstyle, but all and all they are pretty much the exact same sim. Here are 6 of my girls, all who feature a very similar face (sorry, had to):

Katie:
2zg6739.png

Mariana:
qys5e0.png

Anya:
2v0zckg.png

Delphine-Marie:
2el5tp5.jpg

Charlotte:
345iruv.png

Kaiine:
2w67685.png

I just don't know how to get out of this rut. I know part of the issue is that I tend to use the same 2 presets, but whenever I try to use a different one I'm unhappy with the results. I try to do different things with the same preset hoping that will help, but in the end I tweak them in a similar fashion. And I wouldn't really care except right now I'm trying to create a town of people and I'd rather not have a bunch of nearly identical people walking around.

Comments

• WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    Your sims are very pretty!

I like to use the randomize button until I get something I can work with. Then I might tweak them a little, but mostly leave the features they came with. :)
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    You just like playing girls with sweet faces like that, I think there are worse things you could do ;) They look really pretty and you added variety in a lot of other ways. I can perfectly tell them apart.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Don't worry, every simmer has their face staple. Try randomising the sims first or editing a part of the face you normally wouldn't. I must say I find some very attractive townies sometimes when i'm making them over.
  • CillianLoverCillianLover Posts: 405 Member
    Your ladies are super cute. :smile: I have troubles with making the same nose and eyes for most of my sims. One easy way for me to change them up a little bit is to try to create a sim based off a celebrity and then tweak from there. I don't usually mind most of them looking similar though; brings a bit of familiarity to each new save.
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    Your sims look nice and easily able to tell them apart but I do see what you mean- you use the same lip shape , same turned up nose , and the eyes aren't exact but very similar. I'd start with a different nose and lips too , not as turned up , not as full. Just an idea.
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited January 2017
    Bruh, I'm FAR WORSE! I managed to make a really cute female face at one point, so half the time I just nick that sim's face and edit everything else! When I do make a new face, it's so unintentionally similar to the original that it's pretty ridiculous! Same goes for male sims! xD

Funnily enough, besides the nose (which is less turned up), my female sims look strikingly similar to yours (except they're generally more tomboyish)! :P
  • mariah6194mariah6194 Posts: 1,002 Member
    I have the exact same problem, it's so annoying! I like to download from the gallery, and then tweak to my liking. That usually gives me some variety in my game. Your sims are very beautiful, btw!
    tumblr_olomnw8E5c1ug9tk9o2_500.gif
  • CillianLoverCillianLover Posts: 405 Member
    Bruh, I'm FAR WORSE! I managed to make a really cute female face at one point, so half the time I just nick that sim's face and edit everything else! When I do make a new face, it's so unintentionally similar to the original that it's pretty ridiculous! Same goes for male sims! xD

Funnily enough, besides the nose (which is less turned up), my female sims look strikingly similar to yours (except they're generally more tomboyish)! :P

I totally do this too! My favorite sim I've made in TS4 has probably had about twenty different names and lives across my save files. Sometimes in the back of my head, I play around with the idea that he just keeps getting reincarnated. Or he's an immortal incubus that can't decide on a career path or style.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    cyncla wrote: »
    Your sims look nice and easily able to tell them apart but I do see what you mean- you use the same lip shape , same turned up nose , and the eyes aren't exact but very similar. I'd start with a different nose and lips too , not as turned up , not as full. Just an idea.

And use different cheeks! The cheeks alone can make a Sim look older or younger, and they generally make a ton of a difference. Just click through the presets until you find one that looks good but different. That, together with nose, lips and eyes can make them look extremely diverse.
  • taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    What I like to do is take the sim I'm working with
    find a sim with a decent/not too common looking face on the gallery
    combine their genetics and...there you go. I just keep combining his/her genes with another sim's until I get the results I desire. This also helps if you don't like the way your sim's eyes/jaw/body etc look. Find a sim on the gallery that does have the eyes/jaw/body/whatever -- you like and combine them with your sim and hopefully it'll fix whatever issue you were having before.

Nicolas_Time_Line15_17.png

As you can see it took me like 5 tries til I actually started combining genetics + using the sliders. I've been playing TS4 since late 2015 and finally perfected his face (to my liking) in image 6 mid 2016. It takes some practice and lot's of patience. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in CAS compared to Live Mode lol. Anyways, good luck! You have some pretty cute sims. Don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone and experiment a little. The "undo" button is there for a reason or exit CAS without saving and try again. :)
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    Theyre all beautiful!! Theyre just the facee yiu have. I like choosing two presets and having them have a child.. Thats how I ended up with Blair Scattini, my blasian beauty in almost every of my legacys as a spouse. :)
  • Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    Just smash that random button till you get something you can work with, or just download some nice looking sims from the gallery. The maxis sims shown in the trailers are always good to populate a world with. You can download some from maxisicreator_01
  • herdarkpassengerherdarkpassenger Posts: 105 Member
    I do the same thing! I force myself to change at least one feature drastically if I catch myself. I agree it is challenging when you just love the look of a certain face.
  • brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    Your sims are freaking adorable so it's no wonder they all look the same! Haha but it may help to consider making different face shapes like round oval square etc, all yours have the heart shaped face.

Same idea with the nose they all have the same round retrousse button nose (so cute though haha) but you should try different shapes on purpose!

I hope this is helpful haha.
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Yes, it's a problem...and wanting the sims to look like runway models. Changing body shape might help too. You don't see many people playing sims with a little extra weight on them.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Some recommendations, speaking from experience of falling into the trap a lot myself:

- Pick different parts of the face and click on different presets for them, i.e. Mouth, Cheeks, Jaw, Nose, Eyes, etc. Then resize them as you normally do, but within that preset. It'll help with differentiation. If you cling to the exact same presets for each part of the face and tweak in the same way, you're going to end up with the same result a lot. I get the appeal of it though, believe me.
    - Eyes. I've been experimenting with eyes more recently. If you play with their rotation and move them around a bit in detail mode, you can get some eyes that look downright outrageous and definitely distinctive. It's crazy how much of an impact eye shape can make. It's one of the reasons I hit a brick wall so many times when I'm trying to do likeness... some peoples' eye shapes are nigh impossible to get right with the limitations CAS has. That or I'm just not using it properly.

Some of your experiments may result in faces that look like a cartoon at first (mine did :tongue:). Just let yourself go crazy and then when you're done going crazy, you can pull the exaggerated parts back a bit and make the differences more subtle.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    They do look similar, but it's your game so I can't judge. My sims don't generally look that samey (IMO - others may disagree), but I tend to use similar head shapes, jawlines and noses for my sims. When I start feeling like my sims are looking too similar, I'll go on the gallery and download a household or two. I won't tweak their faces or bodies, maybe their clothes, and add them to the game.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    When I create a new sim I tend to use 2 Sims from the gallery and have them make a new sim
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • BatmanSimmerBatmanSimmer Posts: 248 Member
    A tip is to focus on certain features. If you can get three different lip shapes, three different eye shapes, and three different nose shapes you like, you already have a lot of different combinations to play with.

Also, while I find this much harder to play with, changing the head shape changes sims a lot. Try making longer and more defined faces. It can be very frustrating at first, but it creates unique sims.

Last tip is just try creating different races. I would recommend trying to create an Asian sim, because it requires you to change more then just the skin tone. But just trying to go for a look that you can't just re-use is very helpful in creating unique sims.
    Happy Simming!
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Take a look at pictures of different races of people and see if you can try to recreate those faces.
  • Cherrybug90Cherrybug90 Posts: 75 Member
    I do the exact same thing. I find there are certain features I just prefer. One thing that helps is using the random button. Find a face you like. Change the skin color, hair color. Usually ends up with very interesting sims.
  • Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    I run into this problem alot. Simple fix is to look up random people or movie stars and try to mimic their faces into game.
    4a5fc2e9fb954268801d658e29817bfd.png
    042c3679c9b8446aabaccc89991b1831.png
    6e4d99926e1f4f7195b3bd2125a2cfda.png

These are for the most part my unique ones.
    Another suggestion is to find some sims in the Gallery and then try and recreate ones you like but then adding a little twist of your own style to them.
    IRJsECv.png
  • FrejaFreja Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2017
    I guess this means you have style , like drawing people, like Hayden Williams draws at the same style. my sims look somewhat the same too, but it's ok, taste changes in time anyways
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Aww, I love the upturned noses you give them!
    For sims, I usually google their last names to see their origin, then vigorously change their face to match a random picture of a person I find under that search LOL. That way I won't end up making the same person over whenever I'm left to my own devices.
  • monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    I tend to fall into same face syndrome myself, so what I do to stop that is find reference photos of real people and try to model my sims after them. When trying to recreate real people, you tend to push yourself out of the creative box that you're in. It also helps you learn how to use much more of the CAS sliders and options - 90% of which I ignored until I started doing this.