Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have I completely lost all my enthusiasm and hope for The Sims 4?

Comments

• brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I felt like this about sims 3 when it first came out, I missed swimming in the sea, restaurants, seasons, hated the way if I left one family they changed jobs or had a baby when I returned, and rabbit holes, still can't stand them. I could nt bring myself to play it for a long time. It was only nraas mods that allowed me to start enjoy playing sims 3 the way I like to play the sims and maybe in time the same thing will happen for you op, who knows what content is yet to come for sims 4. Do you remember when sims 3 first came out and it was nt possible to edit or create worlds? I m not even sure we could add lots at first, correct me if I m wrong.

Personally, I love sims 4, it suits my style of play, sims 3 did nt at first but i enjoyed it eventually it just took a while. Maybe the same will happen for you.
  • DevinaleDevinale Posts: 209 Member
    I think that when people say sims are generic and not unique they aren't talking about looks. Sure they don't all look the same, but they all have the same wishes and whims. They even sometimes have weird wishes that supposedly is because of some trait(can't think of an example now). But to me sims in earlier games seemed to have a personality, they're all the same mostly in TS4. The only sims who act unique in my mind is toddlers, I just wished the other sims would be like that too
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    As bad as you want to like this series, maybe you just don't. You could wait for something to come out that you would really like and just take a break for now but how will you know if you don't actually play the game? Often times I wonder if people who say the game isn't that fun, if they have all the things out for it. It took me until Dine Out to play a little more and then City Life to really get back into the game. Maybe wait till the game has more of what you would like in it.
  • Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited January 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    ibaeshaC wrote: »
    There is so much more to do in the sims 3 the sims 4 can't even compare.

And I got blasted for bringing Sims 3 into this. Yet it seems to be used for both sides of the debate. I wonder how much of this statement is colored by the number of EPs you have for Sims 3 in comparison to what's available for Sims 4.
    Yeah, I see this happening a lot. Statements being made by Sims 4 groupies about predecessors (on or off topic, that doesn't seem to matter) and when you react ("the best game in the world" - "well not for me, I prefer the old games") it's: "You're comparing, see what you're doing, you're comparing!!" Yeah, no, we're not comparing, we're counterposing. What do you expect, that you can make bold statements and everyone will read it and disapproves silently? This is a forum, people are debating. And when you make bold statements you can expect bold statements back. If you don't like that, stop making the bold statements. It's really that simple. See that first line of the post you quoted in such a crippled, taken out of context way? It starts with "I have to disagree with you."

I am not quite sure I understand your post. If you are saying what I quoted is out of context then you are wrong. The sims game is a series of games. 1 2 3 and 4. They are all related. You can't really talk about one series without comparing that series to the other series. Take toddlers for example. They have added them to the sims 4 because they were in the sims 2 and 3 so they are all of the same context. This is a forum for debates about the sims. I happen to think the sims 2 and 3 are the best of the series. They are trying hard to improve the sims 4 by adding things that should have been in the game from the very beginning. Why because the sims 2 and 3 have more substance and are really the better games.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It's a real shame that you can't reconnect with the game and I hope you will find the way to do it or the patience to wait for a potential TS5.

I have been very critical of the game too but as of late, I have reconnected with it tremendously. I still see all the flaws of course, but I made some sort of peace with it since they patched in toddlers. I find myself enjoying the game a great deal now and I can't wait to play around with vampires when I come back from my vacation.
    I never cared for vampires in previous games but these ones seem so detailed and customizable!

It doesn't mean I'm not going to complain about the flaws from now on but I softened up a bit (toddlers are GREAT!!!).
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    edited January 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    There is so much more to do in the sims 3 the sims 4 can't even compare.

And I got blasted for bringing Sims 3 into this. Yet it seems to be used for both sides of the debate. I wonder how much of this statement is colored by the number of EPs you have for Sims 3 in comparison to what's available for Sims 4.
    Yeah, I see this happening a lot. Statements being made by Sims 4 groupies about predecessors (on or off topic, that doesn't seem to matter) and when you react ("the best game in the world" - "well not for me, I prefer the old games") it's: "You're comparing, see what you're doing, you're comparing!!" Yeah, no, we're not comparing, we're counterposing. What do you expect, that you can make bold statements and everyone will read it and disapproves silently? This is a forum, people are debating. And when you make bold statements you can expect bold statements back. If you don't like that, stop making the bold statements. It's really that simple. See that first line of the post you quoted in such a crippled, taken out of context way? It starts with "I have to disagree with you."

I am not quite sure I understand your post. If you are saying what I quoted is out of context then you are wrong. The sims game is a series of games. 1 2 3 and 4. They are all related. You can't really talk about one series without comparing that series to the other series. Take toddlers for example. They have added them to the sims 4 because they were in the sims 2 and 3 so they are all of the same context. This is a forum for debates about the sims. I happen to think the sims 2 and 3 are the best of the series. They are trying hard to improve the sims 4 by adding things that should have been in the game from the very beginning. Why because the sims 2 and 3 have more substance and are really the better games.

They were talking about me. I'm actually fine with anyone on either side of the debate bringing up past iterations of the Sims. I was merely pointing out that everyone does it. Earlier in the thread, I was told that discussion of Sims 3 was inappropriate in this thread because I had problems with it. Yes, I trimmed your original quote so that I could address a specific thing within the statement. Apparently JoAnne didn't like that.
    Post edited by ibaeshaC on
    Gallery: ibaeshaC
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Well toddlers are finally here and they surpassed most fans expectations, and vampires are the most detailed we have ever had. Those two updates show that Maxis can produce content that is rich and has depth. I feel more optimistic about the game than I have ever done. I am waiting to see what they do next.

I do agree with you that the game as severe flaws. Of course non of us know what was going on behind the scenes, but I think it is safe to assume that the creation of toddlers was a large task and that it needed extensive development time. Now they are complete, one would hope that that frees up developers to work on other projects and to perhaps tweak the areas of the game that need changing.

This. Short and sweet.

--T
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    The Sims 4 had a bad start, probably from it's beginning days in development if what we've heard about it being the remnants of a completely different concept. I have been keeping it up to date, buying all the content they've offered, but I don't actually have any idea how they work, since I've hardly played at all. My grand kids play when they come up, but it has lost me for the most part.

I think the toddlers and vampires are done pretty well. I have played the toddlers and I enjoyed it. I have only tried the vamps in CAS, but became frustrated and didn't play them. From what LGR said, it looks like they might have done them much better than ts3, but alas alack, I just can't muster up the enthusiasm to bother actually playing them.

I think once there's a "bad taste in your mouth" it's hard to try a second bite. For me, I got so bored with the base game, that I can't get myself to try out the new stuff added by sp, gp and ep's. Essentially, the basic game play is just too shallow for my tastes. I always seem to go back to the Sims 2. For me, that game is the bar for which all sims games should try to surpass. Of course none have come close in my estimation. Except the toddlers in 4. I do believe they did do a much better job than even ts2. For that they should get a standing ovation. Maybe I'll find it in me to give it another go at some point. But there comes a time where you just have to accept that is what it is, and move on or accept it.

maybe 5 will be more in line with your hopes and dreams. maybe not.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2017
    You have to face it - the Base Game wasn't complete and that's the past.

It astonishes me as to how people can be so oblivious. Who's making this game? EA/Maxis. Why? MONEY. Releasing a Sims game that's complete at the start won't be happening EVER because there's no money in it. Count yourselves lucky that Toddlers was free. The real money is clearly in the Expansion packs. EA knows this and they haven't finished milking Sims 4 (as you can tell by the Vampires coming out only now). Why spend all that money making Sims 5 when Sims 4 packs can be made cheaply?

And why does ANYBODY think Sims 5 would automatically solve all problems that Sims 4 was released with? What makes them think it'll be released in a state of perfection? It's a whole new game, not an update. And how much of an improvement would it be? Only as much as you can reasonably run on a home computer. Heck, what makes people think Sims 5 will be any better at all?

The more profitable Sims 4, the more likely Sims 5 will be made, but as long as cash can be pumped out of Sims 4, packs will still be released.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    You have to face it - the Base Game wasn't complete and that's the past.

It astonishes me as to how people can be so oblivious. Who's making this game? EA/Maxis. Why? MONEY. Releasing a Sims game that's complete at the start won't be happening EVER because there's no money in it. Count yourselves lucky that Toddlers was free. The real money is clearly in the Expansion packs. EA knows this and they haven't finished milking Sims 4 (as you can tell by the Vampires coming out only now). Why spend all that money making Sims 5 when Sims 4 packs can be made cheaply?

And why does ANYBODY think Sims 5 would automatically solve all problems that Sims 4 was released with? What makes them think it'll be released in a state of perfection? It's a whole new game, not an update. And how much of an improvement would it be? Only as much as you can reasonably run on a home computer. Heck, what makes people think Sims 5 will be any better at all?

The more profitable Sims 4, the more likely Sims 5 will be made, but as long as cash can be pumped out of Sims 4, packs will still be released.

I agree. Why should EA spend money making sims 5 when fans are happy to pay for content being added back like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle?

And I also don't know why there is a notion that the sims 5 when it appears, (if it appears) will be the polar opposite of the sims 4 and be everything it wasn't. I just don't see it.
    I agree. Why should EA spend money making sims 5 when fans are happy to pay for content being added back like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle?

And I also don't know why there is a notion that the sims 5 when it appears, (if it appears) will be the polar opposite of the sims 4 and be everything it wasn't. I just don't see it.

Yep, this is really how the gaming industry functions anymore. And EA is spectacularly fond of EPs, DLC, or whatever they can do to squeeze more out of their consumers. If/when Sims 5 is released, you bet your bottom dollar that the base game will infuriate people when they compare it to their full compliment of any previous iteration they loved. Those waiting expectantly for the Sims game of their dreams will likely be the most disappointed.
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Maxis really pigeonholed themselves in with Sims 4 due to the fact that the game originally was supposed to be a MMO. The small world spaces, small lots, lack of terrain or world editing, no CASt or open-world, that can't be changed. However they can start fresh with a better design that isn't so limited and isn't focused on emotions. Let's face it, emotions are a gimmick, they were introduced so that the Sims 4, which lacked a whole bunch of features upon release, could have a selling point. With the Sims 5, they could get rid of them or have them just be a modified form of moodlets.

I don't automatically assume that Sims 5 would be better, but I'm hopeful that it will be because companies generally tend to learn from their mistakes, except the terrible ones that eventually go bankrupt. If they listen to their fan base, they can keep the good features of Sims 5, like multitasking and the ease of CAS, and add the good stuff from Sims 2 and Sims 3 to boot. Products usually improve. Look at how much more powerful computers are today than they were 10 years ago. Maxis has a lot more to work with and people have a lot more computing power.

I wasn't very optimistic before, but the toddlers release at least showed that they can still execute well on a feature if they have enough time and resources. Plus that they have listened to feedback, that makes me hopeful that they won't repeat the same mistakes again.

What we need is a fresh start. No the Sims 4 can never be the Sims game I want because of poor initial design choices due to its MMO origins as Olympus. With the Sims 5, they can build a real foundation that can hold up. Open world with dozens of households and lots if not hundreds of Sims all interacting on their own with their own time schedule and AI that is based off of their traits, recent events, and their work/employment. That's the Sims game I'm looking for and it's definitely possible because other games, like Fallout 4, already do this to a certain extent. Fallout 4's AI is aware of objects and surroundings and acts accordingly, whether it is to sit at the table to eat food or to go into combat mode when enemies are nearby. I can give other examples, but there isn't a reason why we can't have a more complex and deep Sims game that returns to the revolutionary standard this series has always had until Sim 4.

That's also why I don't get the people who seem to be against a better version. It's like being given a bag of flour and these people are making fried dough. Fine, but don't you know you could do so much more? You could bake a cake, you could make pasta, you could make fresh breads...why be so happy over your fried flour? So yes, it's time to throw away that fried flour and make a 5-layered wedding cake, that's what I expect for Sims 5.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Welcome back to the forums, @halimali1980 :smiley:

Sorry to see that you are still disappointed with TS4 and I doubt that you are alone even after the release of toddlers.

I think that sometimes it is just best to accept that TS4 is 'not the game for you' as despite some obvious improvements, it is still TS4. Indeed their should be more focus on larger and ground breaking EPs as opposed to cheaper but more medium GPs and occasional SPs and patches.

Two and a half years after launch I am yet to see anything from TS4 that makes me think 'wow' although I do think that some stuff now does look 'cool' there is nothing that is going to divert me from TS3, a game that after all these years still holds up and did not require patches to complete a base game
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • kerplukeekerplukee Posts: 180 Member
    First of all: what does OP mean? ahah

Second: I just want to say my honest opinion, I apologize if someone already had written this. Once I was always judging TS4 with negative thoughts "Why in earth does this hair do exist? Why they look so strange? Why my sim doesn't behave like that etc." but it was months after its first release. And I know myself, at first I never appreciate changes, for example it happened even with TS3: at first I disliked it because sims' face was too round and they looked so chubby.
    But then I changed my point of view. I realized that it didn't make sense to keep on comparing TS4 with 1,2,3, it's like a mother that keeps on comparing her last child with the older ones. Let me explain myself, I often read feedback of players saying "It's boring. We want vampires, toddlers, pets and season just like TS2 and TS3, but way better" To me, it sounds like a mother saying "I want my little one to play basketball like his brother, but he will have to play on the NBA". So I started seeing The Sims 4 as The Sims 4, not as The Sims 4- the game after TS3-2-1.
    Ps: I'm not a mother, but I'm the younger one out of 4 sons ahah

And may I add, when I was playing TS2 it was 2005 (so I was 11yo), with TS3 it was 2009 (so I was 15 yo) and now I'm playing at 22. Many of you may have it been older when playing the games, but what I mean to say is that we grow up, we change, and so our tastes in games! Many others may have a strong "bond" with a previous game because it's like they grew fond with it and nothing will be better than that.
    Moreover, things have developed pretty fast in this millenium: TS2 in 2004 may was (I can't remember honestly) a super tech developed game by the time, that maybe few games were abel to be compared to it. Now on 2017 we have almost anything available, we can get whatever we want in no time -and we're technology dependent, let me say- so we expect more, we pretend more and more, we are so used to see everything that we want something new and innovative, and for this reason TS4 is condamned to be seen always lacking. It will never be enough if we continue with this mindset.
    That's how I see it, I changed my mind and I enjoy playing it without binge-playing (I have a real life outside that lol). If I offended someone, I apologive.

Ps: I'm not English mothertongue so excuse my mistakes ahah
    @azxcvbnm321

I'm not against Sims 5 at all, just merely warning that high expectations tend to lead to disappointment. And when it comes to an EA base-game of anything, it's a terrible idea to set your sights too high.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited January 2017
    @azxcvbnm321

I'm not against Sims 5 at all, just merely warning that high expectations tend to lead to disappointment. And when it comes to an EA base-game of anything, it's a terrible idea to set your sights too high.

I don't think that anyone is setting their expectations too high for TS5. I think what Simmers are asking for a complete and solid foundation to start with at release. There's no denying that TS4 wasn't completely upon release. Frankly I don't see asking for a complete base game as having high expectations, it should be standard.

Edit: I shouldn't have said 'anyone.' I think some might be but I think the majority just want a solid starting point.

I, personally, don't think it's unreasonable to ask for weather or even gradual aging in the base game, especially since those two ideas are something devs looked at trying out for TS3 base game.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    kerplukee wrote: »
    First of all: what does OP mean? ahah

Second: I just want to say my honest opinion, I apologize if someone already had written this. Once I was always judging TS4 with negative thoughts "Why in earth does this hair do exist? Why they look so strange? Why my sim doesn't behave like that etc." but it was months after its first release. And I know myself, at first I never appreciate changes, for example it happened even with TS3: at first I disliked it because sims' face was too round and they looked so chubby.
    But then I changed my point of view. I realized that it didn't make sense to keep on comparing TS4 with 1,2,3, it's like a mother that keeps on comparing her last child with the older ones. Let me explain myself, I often read feedback of players saying "It's boring. We want vampires, toddlers, pets and season just like TS2 and TS3, but way better" To me, it sounds like a mother saying "I want my little one to play basketball like his brother, but he will have to play on the NBA". So I started seeing The Sims 4 as The Sims 4, not as The Sims 4- the game after TS3-2-1.
    Ps: I'm not a mother, but I'm the younger one out of 4 sons ahah

And may I add, when I was playing TS2 it was 2005 (so I was 11yo), with TS3 it was 2009 (so I was 15 yo) and now I'm playing at 22. Many of you may have it been older when playing the games, but what I mean to say is that we grow up, we change, and so our tastes in games! Many others may have a strong "bond" with a previous game because it's like they grew fond with it and nothing will be better than that.
    Moreover, things have developed pretty fast in this millenium: TS2 in 2004 may was (I can't remember honestly) a super tech developed game by the time, that maybe few games were abel to be compared to it. Now on 2017 we have almost anything available, we can get whatever we want in no time -and we're technology dependent, let me say- so we expect more, we pretend more and more, we are so used to see everything that we want something new and innovative, and for this reason TS4 is condamned to be seen always lacking. It will never be enough if we continue with this mindset.
    That's how I see it, I changed my mind and I enjoy playing it without binge-playing (I have a real life outside that lol). If I offended someone, I apologive.

Ps: I'm not English mothertongue so excuse my mistakes ahah

OP means the Original Poster that started this thread.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Well here's how I see it. A base game should feel complete without expansions. TS1 achieved it. TS2 achieved it. TS3 achieved it. TS4 did not, whats the excuse? Definitely not lack of money, the "vision" for Sims 4 was very questionable. Good thing that vision is being modified now. We should be grateful toddlers were added for free? No, EA should be grateful that TS1-TS3 was such a roaring success else fans would have shown the finger a long time ago. The game sells because of a loyal fan base, not because it was good at the start. Its getting there now :)

Oh and I like Sims 4. It has a lot of potential that I hope the devs will utilize. But I can acknowledge that its still not a complete game.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I think that everything in this discussion is very well deserved. I'm sorry that there are so many immature people that have nothing else to do other than insult those who like to play the game, reply with ridiculous posts, force their opinion on you and only say "I don't like it, so please tell me what to do, because I won't stop complaining, and don't tell me, I should stop playing it, and find another game I find better and/or more interesting". Just saying, it is so well deserved.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I'm really sorry it's not working for you.

But I gotta be honest, um, I was like you one of those people who wanted toddlers so bad...you say...you just opened CAS and looked at them? I am telling you it is HONESTLY worth playing with toddlers, this is why I am back and playing right now...there is SO much more...these toddlers honestly blow TS2 & TS3 toddlers out of the water, they can do so much more NEW THINGS...mixed with the classic toddlers...

Honestly, give toddlers a try...I promise you won't regret it!!!!
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I understand how you feel. I love toddlers. they were something I really wanted in my game, and my game felt empty without them. I'm so in love with them, but like others have said when they grow up the game goes back to being dull. The other age groups don't feel unique at all, and the game gets repetitive. I'm hoping that a generation type pack will fix some of this and fill in the missing voids. I was also disappointed by the fact that you can't build your own apartments in the sims 4. I loved building apartments in the sims 2. I haven't even bought city living because of it. Although after the toddler addition I do have some hope back. I mean if they can make toddlers this great then they have the potential to make other great packs. :)
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited January 2017
    This is pretty much why this game bothers me, etcetera.

01-11-17_11-51-53AM_zpspooru7zx.png

IMG_0321_zpsx3hscjmr.jpg

Maybe because the kids in Sims 4 are just shrunken down adults? Maybe they carry some of the adult coding? Maybe that's why they're outside at 3 am or in the bars. I found that really strange when I played. I haven't tried toddlers but hope they aren't just more shrunken adults.