Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Checking in - confused

So I stopped playing TS just before TS4 was released (sorry - I take breaks to adventure in other worlds). I googled The Sims 4 today and it appears that the "official site" is non-existent. It also appears that I can't buy TS4 unless it get it from a 3rd party. So what happened? Was TS4 a bomb?

One question I asked before TS4 was released was how the neighborhoods were going to be handled. I loved the way it was done in TS2. I hated the lack of control over my Sims when I wasn't playing them in TS3. I never did get a straight answer which is one reason I took a long break. So is TS4 like TS3 in how it handles the neighborhoods in that they do their own thing when I'm not managing them?

Comments

• Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    If you don't have it you have to download origin and you buy it off of there, or you should be able to get it from Amazon directly.

That being said it is like TS 2 more than ts 3 as far as story progression. Your family is the only one which will progress unless you download a mod called mc command center from mod the sims. You can walk around the neighborhood as it is open somewhat, but if you want to go to a neighbors house or a venue you have a loading screen.

I hope this helps.

• Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    It does indeed help, Colorist40. I appreciate the answer. I find it interesting that thesims.com website appears to be dead. I know you buy through Origin now. Reading various articles, it appears that TS4 has had a lot of technical glitches. It would be awesome if it included some of the amazing features that TS3 had, like progressive pregnancies, the very extensive gardening system, the ability to run around the neighborhood (although I would totally give that up if I had more control over my Sim families), registering home businesses and then let me manage my families like TS2. I LOVED creating a neighborhood with 5-6 families and organically grow my Sims.
  • Options
    dancenow13dancenow13 Posts: 160 Member
    Are you looking at the right website because thesims.com isn't dead at all, it's where they post all of their updates... Also you always had to buy Sims games from a third party; I don't ever remember buying them from anywhere apart from Origin or a game store/website
  • Options
    AmaraStormAmaraStorm Posts: 80 Member
    It appears the website is down for me. It was fine yesterday and last night however. Possibly just having an issue?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    It does indeed help, Colorist40. I appreciate the answer. I find it interesting that thesims.com website appears to be dead. I know you buy through Origin now. Reading various articles, it appears that TS4 has had a lot of technical glitches. It would be awesome if it included some of the amazing features that TS3 had, like progressive pregnancies, the very extensive gardening system, the ability to run around the neighborhood (although I would totally give that up if I had more control over my Sim families), registering home businesses and then let me manage my families like TS2. I LOVED creating a neighborhood with 5-6 families and organically grow my Sims.

Here's a direct link to https://www.thesims.com. To buy the game, download the Origin app from https://www.origin.com/. You can check out the overviews of how the game is set up and what's possible at Carl's: http://carls-sims-4-guide.com/. The game is not a giant technical mess - it's not glitch-free - it's too complex to ever be glitch-free, realistically (qualification: married to a high-level QA guy who I talk to about QA issues a lot with) - but gamebreaking glitches are generally dealt with quickly (we've been getting monthly updates) and the game is pretty stable on recommended specs on a desktop, higher on on a laptop (qualifications: I hang out in Bugs and Tech here). If you don't try to play on low specs and don't stuff your game with not-carefully-managed CC and mods, you're generally going to be fine.

By progressive pregnancies, do you mean Sims 3 style story progression? That's available via a well maintained mod suite. Sim family control is excellent (qualifications: am a control freak, for the whole neighbourhood). Home business is not a thing (yet?); restaurant and retail ownership are available via a pack, and there are some partly home-based careers in another pack.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    If you enjoy your sims going through pregnancy, you will be pleased to know that any clothing can be worn when pregnant.
  • Options
    Yes Luthienrising. I was talking about how pregnancy was done in TS3 instead of TS2 where you get 3 sudden baby bumps. It was more progressive in TS3 which was nice.

For my "serious" gaming, I do play and beta test leading edge games and am well aware of no-such-word as glitch free. But a player should be able to anticipate mostly stable when they dish out $40 for a base game. I'm an anti-CC and mod person so I don't anticipate any issues with that.

It sounds like it's taking a while for the content to come, which is fine. My concern with buying it before coming here and asking was that I would be throwing away $40 for a game that's dead (because as you found out the website seems to be temporarily down for some reason - perhaps because the new release today).

I am downloading the free 48-hour trial which should give me enough time to make a decision. Thank you all for your input!
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Also there are progressive pregnancies in Sims 4 they just naturally get bigger as each trimester happens no more stopping everything to pop every night (at least I'm guessing that's what you mean by progressive pregnancies?). Also you can choose to find out right away via taking a pregnancy test or not know at all (via magic lullabye) until your Sim starts showing signs. Plus they automatically go and tell their partner the big news after finding out which is a nice little touch.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Sounds adorable, 3KNPen. Thanks for the info! And pregancies aren't my #1 thing with TS, but it's important as that's how you grow your families. Well, the trial has downloaded. Let's see what's up with Rosewood (My usual neighborhood name). :)
  • Options
    jessienebulousjessienebulous Posts: 108 Member
    TS4 borrows elements from all previous versions to some degree (initially even skipping the toddler stage entirely as in TS1, which fortunately was recently fixed!) There's probably going to be elements you'll miss, but if you're open to the changes, there's a lot to enjoy. Happy simming! :)
  • Options
    HBK19HBK19 Posts: 14 New Member
    So TS4 is like the first sims where you can't have your sim leave your lot unless they load up another lot?
  • Options
    tayloremxxtayloremxx Posts: 543 Member
    Website works for me just fine. Just checked again to be sure. This forum runs directly through the sims website as well and is VERY active so that should be another sure sign that The Sims in itself is not dead.
  • Options
    HBK19 wrote: »
    So TS4 is like the first sims where you can't have your sim leave your lot unless they load up another lot?

Sims 1 & Sims 2 both had loading screens just like Sims 4. Sims 3 is the only one that was open world.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Does your neighborhood progress as your lot progresses or they are all isolated in their own time?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Time passes throughout the world. There is no story progression so other families won't get married or have children on their without the help of the player through manage world a mod that adds story progression but they will grow old and die just like your own family does.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Can you pause aging like in TS3?
  • Options
    Yes there are two different settings. You can either stop aging altogether throughout the world or you can specifically turn of aging for the rest of the world but leave it on in your household.

If you want to know more about the game there's a very good guide HERE that can give you more information on the game.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Thank you so much.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    @Rienna Telemnar You're going to be excited to witness the pregnancies in this game. I never played The Sims, but began my Sims journey with The Sims2. I played Sims3, but was disappointed by the Sims, themselves. I don't have qualms with the loading screens. I'd rather face that than to have my Sims not as lively as they were in Sims2. I was hesitant to purchase this game. I made statements that I would give it a try, but if it didn't wow me, I wasn't spending another cent on it. To date, I have everything but the latest GP. My patience in waiting for toddlers has paid me back, in spades. They are the best toddlers I could ever hope for. More in line with the ones in Sims2! Plus, several new additions. It's no longer a grind to 'train' them. We are actually helping to teach them in many more areas. I don't know if you'll get that patch on the 48 hour trial or not. But, I no longer lament the fact that baby is tethered to the bassinet. Happy Simming, and I hope you find yourself charmed.

Oh, and Welcome Back! I'm glad you found us. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »
    Yes there are two different settings. You can either stop aging altogether throughout the world or you can specifically turn of aging for the rest of the world but leave it on in your household.

If you want to know more about the game there's a very good guide HERE that can give you more information on the game.

That's exactly what I had hoped for! That lack of control turned me off to TS3. I bought only one expansion pack. The only enjoyment I got was trying a legacy family. But even that lost my interest. I have all of the expansions and all but one of the stuff packs for TS2. The ONLY reason I'm still not playing it is you have to make and keep So. Many. Friends. for everything.

I have book marked Carl's guide and will be using it to get the most out of it. Yes thesims.com is back. It was just a glitch.

Thanks everyone for your input! My trial has ended but I think I will go ahead and pop for the base game.