Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

STILL Getting Error Code 12

13...Next

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member

By purging RAM on Windows, I believe you are able to do it through Task Manager (I believe that is purging, if I am not mistaken) to close unwanted programs hogging up all your RAM.

No, that's not purging RAM. The Mac equivalent of Task Manager is Force Quit and Activity Monitor I believe. Purging RAM is clearing RAM, freeing up as much as possible which is why any open apps may be a little slower temporarily as they have had the RAM cleared/reset. It is done through a Terminal command but some people choose to download 3rd party apps to do it for them. It doesn't close any apps or processes.

Ohh... I always thought that was what purging basically meant. :D

Thanks for correcting me. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @Colton147147

That's why Mac users have to do it so often when playing TS3, because of the 2Gb limit :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    edited May 2016
    That's why Mac users have to do it so often when playing TS3, because of the 2Gb limit :)

Will keep that in mind. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • BluegirlsBluegirls Posts: 2 New Member
    I've tried all methods from all sites. Nothing is worked. Now as a result i lost my precious family -.-
    This is so annoying. Ive been playing the sims since the sims 1 came out. I am a big fan of the sims, but this problem really breaks my heart. Thats funny if i need to keep making new family over and over again to skip this problem. Truly unbelieveable. I never had this problem in my entire life since i played the sims. So disappointed. Ive spent a lot of money to buy the sims 3 with the expansion packs and stuffs, but this error code 12 ruined everything.....
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    First of all welcome to the Forums. Error Code 12 occurs when the game runs for a long time and accumulates a lot of data. If you read the Mac User's Best Friend thread stickied at the top of this section, you will see that you need to purge RAM often and save about every hour or so. If you run Time Machine, you still have your saves although you will have lost any recent progress.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • dazs25154dazs25154 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello

I was having this problem on a computer with a low amount of memory (4gb) and the 4gb patch seemed to help from here, well I dont get the error anymore so it must have been this: ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

ps. sorry for bumping an old thread, I thought it might be useful to someone
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    dazs25154 wrote: »
    Hello

I was having this problem on a computer with a low amount of memory (4gb) and the 4gb patch seemed to help from here, well I dont get the error anymore so it must have been this: ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

ps. sorry for bumping an old thread, I thought it might be useful to someone
    I'm sure you are trying to be helpful, but I'm afraid your energy is a bit misplaced.

On Windows, TS3 is already Large Address Aware (LAA) and has been ever since Patch 1.17 many, many years ago. There is no need for a 4 GB externally made patch, the game will reach for more memory when it needs it. But if you only have 4 GB total to work with, you aren't going to get very far because Windows will be taking up a huge portion of it for itself.

I would strongly recommend not trying to force things with the external patch, that information is way out of date.

But, once again, this post is on the Mac Discussions board of TS3 and absolutely none of this applies to the Mac version of the game. There is no Large Address Aware and there is no 4 GB patch for Mac users. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I have this trouble to and I have a new computer with 16 ram
    I don't even have a saved game in my sims 3 yet on this computer
    still keep getting error code 12 please help
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited January 2017
    This is on a Mac? Nothing has changed since the beginning of this thread, or in years more for that matter. The Mac version of the game can only utilize 2 GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed. If/when it tries to reach for more, it will crash or Error 12. An integrated graphics chip vs. a dedicated card will put more demand on RAM. The solutions are to lessen the load on the game so as to stay under that limit by turning down the graphics options and purge RAM frequently, constantly even.
    http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay

Or...don't play the Mac version. The Windows version works very well under Bootcamp running on Windows if that is an option within reach for you and the 2 GB restriction would be no longer there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    This is on a Mac? Nothing has changed since the beginning of this thread, or in years more for that matter. The Mac version of the game can only utilize 2 GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed. If/when it tries to reach for more, it will crash or Error 12. An integrated graphics chip vs. a dedicated card will put more demand on RAM. The solutions are to lessen the load on the game so as to stay under that limit by turning down the graphics options and purge RAM frequently, constantly even.
    http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay

Or...don't play the Mac version. The Windows version works very well under Bootcamp running on Windows if that is an option within reach for you and the 2 GB restriction would be no longer there.

I am using windows pc
    edited January 2017
    I am using windows pc
    This thread is about Error 12s on the Mac version of the game. It is on the TS3 Mac Discussions message board.

Getting Error12s out of the starting gate on a fresh instance of the game on Windows where the player has more than sufficient total RAM to work with is not typical. If you repost on the TS3 Tech Discussions board, which is for players on Windows, we can try to help you with that. It's kind of off-topic here.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    ok thanks
  • holly55555holly55555 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi guys, I know this is an older post but I have had Error 12 many times and I even lost a legacy because I could not get my game to stop crashing. I finally fixed it and I haven't seen this solution anywhere so I thought I'd share it in all the places I had previously looked for a solution!

My current legacy had the same problem, crashing and Error 12, even after only 10 min of game play, plus it was incredibly laggy. I'm 5th generation in so the neighborhood is very populated but I really didn't want to start over again. I noticed the issue got much worse after returning home from travel. I tried everything, especially because my computer has more than enough memory for the game. I even rewrote the game files to use more memory with no luck.

So I tried to figure out what about travel was making the game such a problem. Meanwhile, in other worlds, my Sims were fine so it didn't seem to be them. Then I realized: after completing adventures, my Sim had thousands of things in their inventory.

Upon returning home to a world where I had a legacy, it just got completely out of hand because I had so many other Sims and things going on.

Then I realized that my Sims had quite the garden and had hundreds of every fruit/vegetable in their inventories too!

I sold all of their relics and things from travel and their fruits, and GUESS WHAT? Hours of game play with no lags, no crashes, and NO ERROR 12!

So for anyone with these errors - those inventories apparently take up too much memory. Clean everything out and it should resolve the problem!
    edited October 2017
    holly55555 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I know this is an older post but I have had Error 12 many times and I even lost a legacy because I could not get my game to stop crashing. I finally fixed it and I haven't seen this solution anywhere so I thought I'd share it in all the places I had previously looked for a solution!

My current legacy had the same problem, crashing and Error 12, even after only 10 min of game play, plus it was incredibly laggy. I'm 5th generation in so the neighborhood is very populated but I really didn't want to start over again. I noticed the issue got much worse after returning home from travel. I tried everything, especially because my computer has more than enough memory for the game. I even rewrote the game files to use more memory with no luck.

So I tried to figure out what about travel was making the game such a problem. Meanwhile, in other worlds, my Sims were fine so it didn't seem to be them. Then I realized: after completing adventures, my Sim had thousands of things in their inventory.

Upon returning home to a world where I had a legacy, it just got completely out of hand because I had so many other Sims and things going on.

Then I realized that my Sims had quite the garden and had hundreds of every fruit/vegetable in their inventories too!

I sold all of their relics and things from travel and their fruits, and GUESS WHAT? Hours of game play with no lags, no crashes, and NO ERROR 12!

So for anyone with these errors - those inventories apparently take up too much memory. Clean everything out and it should resolve the problem!
    Not quite, at least not usually. I strongly suggest that you check to see which forum board you are posting on before offering help. It's always great to get a fresh perspective and new ideas, but it's even better if we restrict such help to the versions of the game for which it applies.

This is the TS3 for Mac forum board; are you playing on a Mac? Yes, overloaded in the thousands of items inventories will stress out the game on any version and should be tended to immediately, but again (I'm really sorry to sound so cranky but no one seems to be paying attention to this), players of the Mac version have different issues to worry about. Their version of the game can use 2 GB of RAM before crashing or delivering Error 12s. There is no way to improve on that limit, one can only advise them on how to stay under it hence the Terminal command RAM purging techniques.

I'm also afraid that "I even rewrote the game files to use more memory" doesn't make any sense on Mac or Windows. The game is what it is. On Macs, 2 GB is the limit. On Windows it's closer to 4 GB (practically speaking it's about 3.7 GB due to some overhead) and the game will reach for that much if/when it needs to all on its own provided that the player is on Patch 1.17 or higher which I certainly hope everyone is by now -- current patch levels are 1.67/1.69 -- and provided that they have enough RAM installed to work with. The game is 32-bit and can do no better than that on Windows. It can't do any better than 2 GB on Mac because of the improper way in which EA arranged the port into OS X by way of Cider, so the Patch 1.17 memory fix just isn't there for them.

If a player on a Mac can Bootcamp and run the Windows version of the game, that is for many going to be much more pleasant experience. But again, my never-ending admiration for those who continue to play the Mac version and manage to stay under the RAM limit consistently. After a point years ago, I never could unless I wanted to change my play style radically or keep starting over with brand new games.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!