Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Essentials

I want to make a YouTube video about which packs are essential when getting into the game along with some tips. Kind of a sims 3 starter pack. Anyway, i thought a best way to do the packs part is to ask what other people would say are the essentials and why and all that. Get a range of opinions. So this is where I need help. Which expansions and stuff packs would you say are essential and why?

Comments

• plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I would say Seasons because weather happens in the real world and Sims 3 doesn't feel as real without weather. It's a very good expansion; the weather is realistic and varied. Also, you can set the length of the seasons and even turn some of them off, if you want to.

I'd also say Pets because literally everybody I know has pet/s. A house is not a home without a pet :)
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I would agree that Seasons is essential. Besides it's my favorite EP and within the last year was voted here as the best EP.

After that it is hard because there are so many ways to play this game that effect which EPs and SPs are essential. What the initial household's age(s) are and what life span and age cycle lengths are used also effects how people play their game and determines which EPs are essential.

I like to have my sims acquire skills, acquaintances and lifetime happiness points by traveling since I play on a "normal" life span so World Adventures and/or University Life are essential to me.

I like self employed professions so Ambitions is essential to me.

I like household members jamming together and going out to bars and vampires so Late Night is essential to me.

If I Iiked to play a lot of supernaturals then Supernatural would be essential to me. Even though I don't like to play that many kinds of supernaturals in one game I wouldn't do without the Supernatural EP.

When I want to play horses and/or ranches and/or farms then Pets is necessary.

When I want to play beach/island life, diving and boating then Island Paradise is necessary.

Even when I concentrate on family life I don't find Generations necessary while others do. And it is nice to have.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Seasons because it makes every day different and just gives a whole new level to the game. Also generations because it makes the sims feel like family.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I would say Seasons is essential. Beyond that it's personal preference as to play style. If you love families and interactions with children, Generations. Pets and Supernatural if you love (duh) pets and supernaturals. World Adventures if you like to travel, and so forth.

I finally bought all the expansion packs yet could live without University and Showtime. I mean, I'm glad I have them but in no way find them essential.
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Seasons. I got a lot of use out of World Adventures too. Even if you don't travel, WA has some good stuff in it you can use. If you're one of those people that run families then Generations is probably a must. Ambitions as someone mentioned is also essential for expanded careers, sculpting, inventing, self-employed.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Seasons and pets, for obvious reasons. University for the extra traits, social groups and modern young adult life.
    I'd also have added generations but only if it didn't have so many annoying actions such as pillow fights for adults and creepy imaginary friends, so it's supposed to be essential but I personally have mixed feelings about this EP. It's just my personal opinion of course.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Essential...... Mmm , definitely Seasons I agree with the others. And Generations (even when it's not my favourite one). I couldn't miss Showtime because of genies, can't live without genies anymore, but to call them essential in general, no. World Adventures is also essential for me, even when there are entire generations I don't use that expansion. Pets... They're all essential to me I think :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    I think there are some mods that are essential for playing Sims 3! Overwatch and Errortrap definitely help the game run smoother and helps with lag. They are both Nraas mods. So is StoryProgression! That helps with making your game feel more alive and active. For expansion packs, I would say Seasons, because no matter how you play the game or what your play style is, it will always be affecting your game in some way, much like in real life. Weather is just absolutely necessary for a life simulation game!
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    Ambitions for me. I love creating artistic sims, its my favourite thing, so the extra skills and self-employment options there are essential to me.

Also world adventures, Sims need a break from work sometimes don't they?!

And late night, i like my sims going out and partying, plus the apartments and it's nice to have an option of a City instead of towns all the time.

I think i'd have to include University Life too, i adored all the clothes that came in that one, plus i love the option of my Sims getting a degree, i never let my sims become a doctor before they've been to university for example. Also the social groups are fun.

....i would have included Island Paradise, as it is actually my favourite sim EP ever, if it weren't for all the problems that come with it.
    Like @Candyd i too have mixed feelings about Generations, I love the added schools and some other features but I don't always want my Sims to have an imaginary friend, they were fun the first time but when every child has one it gets too much of the same in my opinion :smile:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    for me get the following expansion packs ambitions,late night,pets,seasons,university life these 5 expansion packs are the best for the buck and are soo good! and i reccomend you to install nrass mods like overwatch and traffic etc.. which trust me you cant live without them and get your self a simpoints bundle the sims 3 store offers alot of stuff! and be sure to take time to check some vids to keep your game smooth and check that your graphics card is recognized and thats what i have to offer GL and happy simming and caution the sims 3 can get addicting espicially with these packs i mentioned :D
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    All of them.
    No seriously, they all offer something - wether it be a simply object or a whole occult type.
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    All of them.
    No seriously, they all offer something - wether it be a simply object or a whole occult type.

And that's why EA has all my money :lol: i've bought EPs before just for a "bonus" feature. Like my favourite part of Pets is the snakes and turtles....

It was so hard to limit myself to answering this question with just 4, but they're the one's i'd never uninstall :smile:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Generations and Ambitions would be my absolute essential ep's, though I love them all.
    But from being self employed,the professions and Twinbrook to kiddies in strollers and driving lessons, prom and not forgetting Daycare, those are the 2 I'd never uninstall.
    Late Night and Supernatural really flesh out the game too, in fact for me they're pretty essential too.

Don't forget a host of Nrass mods!
  • TheDarkRoseTheDarkRose Posts: 230 Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm noticing a lot of people saying seasons is the best or an essential actually. I should probably buy it one day, I've wanted it since it came out. I will mention the mods, I hear a lot of good things about nraas. I'm a little torn on Generations myself. I love certain parts of it, do not love others.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I would hesitate to make a YouTube video claiming Pets was essential, just because that EP (and Seasons) is considered to be the most computer intensive of all the EPs. Then again, I'm probably one of the few players that has done without Pets for most of my Sims 3 experience and don't feel I'm missing out on anything. If you are going to recommend Pets, I'd do so with a heavy qualification regarding computer specs.

I would probably go with Generations and Ambitions as "essential." They add a lot of little things to the game which really fill it out. Late Night is probably the next most "essential" EP to me due to the bars and clubs it brings to the open world experience.

If you have the computer specs, then yes, I'd say Seasons is right up there too on the "essential' list.

All the other EPs seem to me to be fairly focused on different types of gameplay and would not all appeal to everyone.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    I agree with @pandabear1836; the NRAAS suite of Mods are an absolute essential if you want your game to run properly - especially if you play Legacy-style, like I do. At the minimum everyone should use Overwatch, Master Controller and Story Progression (Story Progression keeps your neighborhood from dying out). The NRAAS mods are very well tested and work great.

As for EA/ Maxis stuff, I agree that Seasons is one of the best EPs available. I would list Generations as a 'Must Have', too - most of the content *should* have been in the base game, but since it wasn't, get Generations to fully flesh out all ages. Frankly, the directed play of World Adventures and Ambitions really turned me off - I actually stopped playing TS3 for a while because of them (I am a proud sand-box-style player). Late Night adds some much needed activities for community lots, and it has Bridgeport, the only 'City' neighborhood - but celebrities and vampires were completely broken, so you must update the game with later patches to make that EP playable. I loved Island Paradise because of the houseboats, etc., but I wouldn't call it a necessity. University, Pets and Showtime are the same - great if you like those features, but not necessary to have a fun game (I thought TS2's University was much better than TS3's). I still haven't bothered to buy "Into The Future", it just doesn't appeal to me - I would have preferred an "into The Past" EP instead.

Which leaves Supernatural - this is actually a great EP, even if you aren't into vampires, werewolves, witches or faeries. It has some amazing objects and the furniture styles are really attractive. Not a 'Must Have', but I highly recommend it anyway.

As for the Stuff Packs - none of them are necessary to enjoy the game. If you are going to get them, buy them on sale or through eBay because they are overpriced and really lack content. That said, I do have three: "Town Life Stuff" (which I got as a free give away), "Master Suite Stuff" and "Fast Lane Stuff" - Master Suite probably has the best objects, but Fast Lane adds some nice new cars.

Instead of Stuff Packs, I would recommend getting things from the Store. If you like Supernatural you really have to get Midnight Hollow - it is much better than Moonlight Falls. Monte Vista, Dragon Valley and Roaring Heights are all well designed and really attractive, too. You can buy some of them online, others are only available through the Store (get free Sim Points by watching Ads or just beg for gifts on the boards). Riverview, of course, is free - and it has some really great houses.

As for Premium Content - Grandma's Canning Station is my personal favorite, with the Wood-fired Oven and the Multitab 6000 coming in a very close second place (they are tied). The Savvy Seller's Set and the Industrial Oven are sad attempts to make open businesses and restaurants - if you get them (and I do NOT recommend that you do), get the appropriate NRAAS Mods so that they actually work as promised. The Dragons are fun, and the walker and playpen are useful, but the rest of the Premium Content is just 'meh' in my opinion.

And then there are the sets - these are great for filling out and diversifying your decorating options - but only if you are using points to get them. And if you pick up one of the neighborhoods, the associated decorating sets are really nice to have.