Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I finally understand why everyone wanted toddlers so badly!

Up until a few days ago, I was that person who, amongst all the frustrated, toddler desiring players, was just "meh" about toddlers. I played with toddlers in S3 but it's also been a long time since I played S3 so maybe I didn't remember how great it can be. When the toddler patch debuted I had a family in progress with one baby. When the baby aged up I was introduced to the awesome world of toddlers. I felt most pleased with watching their progression in learning. I will admit I was a little annoyed with them at first because ya know, they're needy! But that's standard. I really enjoyed seeing that relationship between the child and the parents grow, and how much they desired interaction with each other. I maxed out my toddlers skills before aging him up again it was bittersweet to not have a little toddler running around! May have to have another baby in the near future. What features of the toddler patch made you most pleased? Or displeased?

Comments

• JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Just like you I was 'meh' like i really didn't care but they are so adorable and i dont mind them.. They give extra work and more to do in the game
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • ElimarnaElimarna Posts: 1,484 Member
    I was very meh about toddlers, too. I liked having them because they represent a stage between being an infant and being 9 years old. That jump just seemed ridiculous to me, but otherwise I was pretty indifferent about actually having them. I feel like the team did an excellent job on redoing toddlers, though, giving them more to do with better family interactions. They feel more like an actual life stage rather than a hindrance before reaching childhood.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    They're far greater than they were in 3 that's why you don't remember them being this great. But yes, they're great. No question about it :)
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    Before ,when my infant jumped from his crib to a child I would always hop onto the nope train. Sims 4 couldn't keep my interest very long . I never understood why though. But since toddlers patched in I can play for hours .

I have most content except for a couple stuff packs .while not everything is to my liking , I find the experience a lot more enjoyable because this adorable life stage was added.

I had aging set to long for my first toddler so I could have most time with him .while still having that sense of aging .this first month of this year is very promising. Hoping the rest of the year will be just as good if not better !
    Happy Simming!♥
  • purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I wouldn't say I was "meh" about toddlers as I did want to see them patched in but it wasn't going to be a game changer for me if they didn't. I was quite indifferent towards them really. When I got back home after a trip on Monday and checked the Sims 4 News and saw that toddlers had been patched in, I am not going to lie, I screamed and fist pumped. I have yet to play with toddlers as I recently started a new save and I don't want babies until my couple are established, but I have got another save where there is a newborn baby so I might have a little tinker with toddlers later. They do look amazing and it looks like the devs have done a fantastic job.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Told you. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    I didn't really care about the no toddlers thing either but I love them!!

They are far far better in sims 4 than any other sims game - i can't get over how realistic they are, they really remind me of my niece and nephew, like i took my eyes of my little boy sim, to control his parents for a few minutes and when i returned to him, he had taken his clothes off and was in a playful mood :lol:
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • ChristinabeeChristinabee Posts: 22 Member
    This was me too! I'm amazed at all the work that the Sims team did under wraps. Toddlers definitely do add so much to the game!
  • FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    I agree that are much better than toddlers in previous iterations. The realism is gob-smacking. It is many years since my kids were toddlers but I find myself laughing and smiling when things about them bring back memories. Just watching one climb on a chair or suddenly running everywhere with his arms out for balance and the slurry toddler-speak before they have built up their communication skills. It's magic :)

I love how they have a good dash of autonomy as well so, although they are hard work, they can also do things themselves and this is how they should be. Real life toddlers can be smart little creatures who love learning and doing things independently. I think EA has got it exactly right this time around.
  • amanda88mamanda88m Posts: 39 Member
    They really did a great job on toddlers, I can't wait until they get more objects into the game for them ^^
    I'm glad you've come to like toddlers! One of my favorite things about them is how they can play inside objects, such as a kitchen counter or bookcase.
  • NiniNini Posts: 309 Member
    I'm with you, I wanted them to be introduced for the sake of those who wanted them but didn't care about it for my own game. Then they came out and I was SO excited. I love my toddlers now <3
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I love the toddlers. I wasn't sure at first, either, because they are needy. But the fact that you can do more with them now and that they aren't solely dependent on the parents, is a nice feature.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Up until a few days ago, I was that person who, amongst all the frustrated, toddler desiring players, was just "meh" about toddlers. I played with toddlers in S3 but it's also been a long time since I played S3 so maybe I didn't remember how great it can be. When the toddler patch debuted I had a family in progress with one baby. When the baby aged up I was introduced to the awesome world of toddlers. I felt most pleased with watching their progression in learning. I will admit I was a little annoyed with them at first because ya know, they're needy! But that's standard. I really enjoyed seeing that relationship between the child and the parents grow, and how much they desired interaction with each other. I maxed out my toddlers skills before aging him up again it was bittersweet to not have a little toddler running around! May have to have another baby in the near future. What features of the toddler patch made you most pleased? Or displeased?
    I know what you mean. They did them so well.

I think the fact that they are a little annoying is part of what makes them work, tbh. It keeps them from seeming too independent and therefore too easy to ignore. The cuteness and helplessness of them balances it out though. You can't be mad at them for too long; they're too vulnerable. (Which, I imagine, is not far off from parenting toddlers in RL. Granted, in RL, you're going to have the added factor of loving your kid to death, not just finding it cute.)
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    i felt the same way. while i wanted toddlers i was turned off from the discussion due to the community's way of handling the topic.

but honestly, this is the best toddlers have ever been. the skills are fun, they're cute as heck, and it really gives more life the the family play experience. they aren't as much of a chore as they were in 2 and 3 either which makes you able to just enjoy them being there.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    They're a lot better than they were in previous games if they had been the same boring little things they were in TS2/TS3 then I probably wouldn't have cared lol.
  • HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    Well I was surprised, I randomly decided to visit the site 2day, and I almost gagged when I read the banner at the top......I literally started rubbing my eyes to see if it was true what I was reading. I have not been playing for awhile (been playing FF15), but after reading the patch notes, I logged into origin and updated. Been playing for an hour or so....and I'm pretty impressed. I'm not an avid toddler player but I always played my sims from cradle to the grave, the exclusion of the little tykes at launch, kinda broke the life cycle I was used to. Thankfully its finally back to normal.

and.....finally some peace on the forums too :)
  • TalamothTalamoth Posts: 91 Member
    Yes, they are a class act. Way to go EA - toddlers were obviously a labor of love and and true caring for the entire Sims, toddler-loving nation! I just love the little sweethearts. <3
  • jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    Before ,when my infant jumped from his crib to a child I would always hop onto the nope train. Sims 4 couldn't keep my interest very long . I never understood why though. But since toddlers patched in I can play for hours .

I have most content except for a couple stuff packs .while not everything is to my liking , I find the experience a lot more enjoyable because this adorable life stage was added.

I had aging set to long for my first toddler so I could have most time with him .while still having that sense of aging .this first month of this year is very promising. Hoping the rest of the year will be just as good if not better !

Exactly.
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

For me it was a throwback to the days when managing a families needs was a thing,
    I found myself combing through the catalogues looking for objects that would be a perfect fit for certain scenarios like the good old days.

For example in the seven toddler challenge I put the "Nanocan no touch dispenser" to spectacular use, whereas before it was just an object that produced unneccesary funds

The tablets in the game are perfect to give a quick boost of fun right there on the spot, whether on the loo or standing by the mailbox, before it's off to give the toddler a bath.

That type of strategic gameplay has long been absent from the Sims, and I'm very glad to know that if I want to revisit it, all I have to do is have a bunch of toddlers.
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I have always liked playing toddlers (in Sims 2 and 3) but not all the time as it could really become a chore to have to teach them all they needed to progress into a well developed child. So I wasn't really missing them all that much in Sims 4 except I didn't find game play very challenging (mostly tedious and boring) until City Living came out.

Now that they are here, the game has really become a hoot! I love the way all of them are different depending on specific traits, so I am enjoying it immensely. I also love the fact they came out before the Vampire pack. So much at once! It's definitely keeping me interested more so than ever before.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm still meh about toddlers but I am truly happy that the were added finally for those who do wanted them. I can just age them up when I'm ready so it's all good for me :)
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • suenami3suenami3 Posts: 1 New Member
    How do you actually age them up? I can't figure it out. Also, I did find the sudden jump rather annoying, but I could cope. Now, I'm 100% in love with the toddlers.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    suenami3 wrote: »
    How do you actually age them up? I can't figure it out. Also, I did find the sudden jump rather annoying, but I could cope. Now, I'm 100% in love with the toddlers.

Have someone cook a cake and then put birthday candles on it. If you click on the cake, I think you get "age up..." as an option as well as "blow out candles" if you have a toddler in the house.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    I know what you mean. They did them so well.

I think the fact that they are a little annoying is part of what makes them work, tbh. It keeps them from seeming too independent and therefore too easy to ignore. The cuteness and helplessness of them balances it out though. You can't be mad at them for too long; they're too vulnerable. (Which, I imagine, is not far off from parenting toddlers in RL. Granted, in RL, you're going to have the added factor of loving your kid to death, not just finding it cute.)

The minute I saw each of my babies born - you know the very minute they take that first breath, you whisper -"Little one I would die for you right this moment if I had to". That is a fact - at least it was for me. In the game I feel my sims thinking the same thing. LOL Maybe it is just me - and when they become toddlers in real life they just constantly amazed me and the fact the Devs were able to capture this so amazingly well just swells my heart - it is so beautiful.

I have never felt a baby or toddler as being annoying - they were my life. I loved them in all the sims games - but in Sims 4 they have captured them so well - it is truly wonderful.

I - of course was one of the players who could not enjoy Sims 4 at all without the toddlers. To me it was just not the Sims. Now it is the Sims and I love it. By the way for people who think of infants and toddlers as annoying - or needy - keep in mind they are new beings and know nothing and cannot do things for their little selves. That is not being needy - that is being necessary in order to eventually become a complete human being. Needy is people who can do for themselves and who know what lifes all about and who can take care of themself but instead of doing all those things they sit and whine and want every one else to do things for them like they were a little baby or toddler. That is a big difference and the true annoyance - not little babies and toddlers.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• tammer400tammer400 Posts: 647 Member
    Tbh they are better done in the sims 4 than the sims 3 it feels like toddlers are alot more alive and have some personalty. Like one i dread with 4 was that you had to teach those skills all over again, while it was still you had to teach them it didn't feel as much as a chore.unlike three where all you had to do teach them pop walk and talk and wait for them to age up which was a chore more than fun tbh. So cudos to team for doing an awsome job