Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art Commune Reading Circle

Comments

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    Hey guys. So my health has gotten worse and I'll be needing surgery. More details here.

I'll be irregular in writing and being around while I get through this so I don't know if you want to replace me in the group.

Think of it like marriage: in sickness and in health. ;) We'll keep your seat warm.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @MedleyMisty I have been swamped with schoolwork this week and regular work. This was my first full week back to school and I'm spending on average 3 hours a day doing homework in addition to my normal work hours. When I get some free time, I will try and reply to your questions and comments. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    CathyTea wrote: »
    **work, work work** I'm in busy-mode, @MedleyMisty

I've been thinking about the genius-stereotype-Sherlock thing. We just finished watching Season 4 of Sherlock (BBC, Cumberbatch) and this whole trope really ties in with that. When my free-time and my focused thinking align, I'll share thoughts and ideas! :)

i only have netflix for 10 more days. mom said when i cancelled netflix and hulu and kept amazon which is the most expensive. lol. she said it was a smart finacial descision.

@friendsfan367 I recently discovered I can get Amazon Prime for free for 6 months as a college student. And then half-off for a year. So I signed up for Prime because not only do I get access to videos, but I can order all my books with free shipping. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @MedleyMisty I have been swamped with schoolwork this week and regular work. This was my first full week back to school and I'm spending on average 3 hours a day doing homework in addition to my normal work hours. When I get some free time, I will try and reply to your questions and comments. :)

Same here! I'm noticing a lot of my "thinking time" is going towards both your recent posts, @MedleyMisty , and I'll reply when time opens up for me! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
    @AdamsEve1231 I just read your Darkness May Dream and it's SOOOO GOOOOOOD! I especially loved the I Dream of a City -chapter, but the whole story is full of beautiful and clever language and the atmosphere is great. And I really like the intriguingly spiteful and haughty yet somehow wistful voice of the narrator. Also it's always a treat to learn more of your well-done, rich lore.

@RipuAncestor *blushes* I don't know what to say. Thank you. It's a short that I started awhile ago, but I decided to resume since I'm trying to connect threads between my stories. I'm glad you enjoyed DMD. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member

Is okay. And you don't have to reply to me. You can talk about whatever you want when you have time. :)

I just get worried that I have done something wrong and made everyone mad at me.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited January 2017

Is okay. And you don't have to reply to me. You can talk about whatever you want when you have time. :)

I just get worried that I have done something wrong and made everyone mad at me.

i wan't here this morning because i knocked one of my favorite things to the ground. no not Brian. my coffee. grounds everywhere.

I feel that way too sometimes, or that I got over-enthusiastic about a topic no one cares about, and I've scared them away. :/ It's not a happy feeling, but most of the time, in my case, I tell myself it's okay. I know we are supportive of one another in this particular thread, and I understand we're all busy here and I know that we aren't always able to make time for the forums. Some of us like to think longer and more contemplatively about certain subjects. In other words, @MedleyMisty, you encourage us to think deep. I can't speak for everyone else but I can say that I like to take time to give you an adequate response, something more than I agree with you or I disagree with the article, etc.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited January 2017

I feel that way too sometimes, or that I got over-enthusiastic about a topic no one cares about, and I've scared them away. :/ It's not a happy feeling, but most of the time, in my case, I tell myself it's okay. I know we are supportive of one another in this particular thread, and I understand we're all busy here and I know that we aren't always able to make time for the forums. Some of us like to think longer and more contemplatively about certain subjects. In other words, @MedleyMisty, you encourage us to think deep. I can't speak for everyone else but I can say that I like to take time to give you an adequate response, something more than I agree with you or I disagree with the article, etc.

*hugs*

I have issues about assuming my friends are mad at me. Yay social anxiety!

On my end, if I don't reply to you guys, it's probably because the anxiety isn't letting me read your post.

LOL, I don't know if I know how to think any other way. And it's cool. I don't have time to write out all my thoughts, between trying to write a bit, raiding in WoW, chilling with the spousal person, work, sleep, and trying to be social with my online friends.

Which is actually relevant to the bit about the gendering of intelligence, because a lot of the essays I'm finding make the point that women don't have as much time to dedicate to artistic pursuits as men do. I know I'm lucky to have a supportive spousal person who does all the cooking and housework and who is very encouraging about my writing.

Also part of it is that I'm all into my new Seth story, and when I'm really into a story and feeling the creativity, I'm more extroverted and social and I need more input and I get restless and needy. I'll try to control that. ;)
    Post edited by MedleyMisty on
    i had to start again my game glitched. i think one of my mods did it but i get to play ayden again i peeked at laurens pregnancy. lol
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
    So my WordPress turned nine years old today.

I am very old.

I am very old.

Happy Blogaversary! This is a mature WordPress! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

I am very old.

happy blogaversary. i never got past 1 with the glitches i had.
    edited January 2017
    yeah i still hold the most startovers record. lol. started again today. i was going to do a compltly new family but after 5 minutes i missed the benders.
    yeah i still hold the most startovers record. lol. started again today. i was going to do a compltly new family but after 5 minutes i missed the benders.

So did you start over with Noel and Lauren?

CathyTea wrote: »

So did you start over with Noel and Lauren?

yes they look a little differnt because i lost my library .

*hugs*

On my end, if I don't reply to you guys, it's probably because the anxiety isn't letting me read your post.

LOL, I don't know if I know how to think any other way. And it's cool. I don't have time to write out all my thoughts, between trying to write a bit, raiding in WoW, chilling with the spousal person, work, sleep, and trying to be social with my online friends.

Which is actually relevant to the bit about the gendering of intelligence, because a lot of the essays I'm finding make the point that women don't have as much time to dedicate to artistic pursuits as men do. I know I'm lucky to have a supportive spousal person who does all the cooking and housework and who is very encouraging about my writing.

Also part of it is that I'm all into my new Seth story, and when I'm really into a story and feeling the creativity, I'm more extroverted and social and I need more input and I get restless and needy. I'll try to control that. ;)[/quote]

Oh boy! Social anxiety. Yes, I know the feeling. I am actually introverted... an external processing introvert... hence lots of writing and lots of conversation, but I'm still introverted. I need my down time. My alone time. When I feel like my schedule is encroached or changes, I struggle with feeling anxious because I need my writing as a way to recharge whether it be journaling or story writing. I like being around people, but I hit a people threshold, and I need space and time to be away and alone with my thoughts and writing.

I am not surprised about the gendered intelligence connection to women have less time for artistic pursuits. It's a gender stereotype that women care for the home, cook, clean, and care for children, though stereotypes have some truth to them. I am a grad student, I work part-time, I write, I volunteer, I cook and care for my home, and sometimes one of these things does suffer, and more often than not my artistic pursuits. Actually, this relates to my new class where we've been talking about boundaries. I am learning how to set boundaries so I make sure I have time for my art and other areas of my life. I have been more vocal about asking for help, making sure I take breaks during my work/school, and insisting my husband does more around the house (which he has been more than happy to do).

This has not always been the case. I have struggled to speak up when I need space, help, and time for art/relaxation. I haven't always known how to tell others I need help, nor have I been good about setting boundaries. Again, a stereotype, but this is more common among women than men. Men are more likely to speak up for themselves, defend themselves and take the downtime. I take time to play games for a few hours, and I'm sometimes viewed by certain groups of people as lazy and wasting my time or making frivolous pursuits. But if my husband tells people he loves gaming and spends hours playing, people just shrug and move on from the topic because it's just accepted, or they pat him on the back because they are men that game too. It's a double standard, and it's frustrating.

I mentioned in passing that I am a gamer in a class last spring. I am a gamer. I'm not ashamed of it. I am not trying to hide it. I don't want to. I brought a cup of coffee to my night class. It's a four hour night class, primarily lecture, so I wanted the coffee to help me stay alert and focused. I had one classmate ask me how I can drink coffee so late at night. Another classmate laughed and said, "she," (not even addressing me by name), "probably is going home to game for hours and hours." Then this comment was followed up by a statement about how great it was that my husband was working and supportive of my gaming habits. I was totally floored. The assumptions made ticked me off. My husband, at the time, was working, and I wasn't, but he was working to support me in graduate school, not my off-time pursuits. And even if he was, why was that any of my male classmate's business?

I guess this is all fresh because I'm going through this class on forgiveness and reconciliation, and talking about boundaries. We were asked to reflect on situations where we felt wronged and we need forgiveness. It's digging up some things I thought were minor wounds that are actually more serious than I thought.

We are reading a book about forgiveness for this class and one of the things the book talks about is "redemptive remembering" - essentially forgiveness is not forgetting what was done to you, and we remember through a lens of grace, mercy, or compassion. At first, I was opposed to the idea but as I kept reading and reflecting I realized it makes a lot of sense. The authors talk about how
    "reflecting on harmful experiences offer insight into people and situations... recalling details of a harmful experience may show you how to avoid being victimized again… steering clear of people who make you feel vulnerable can prevent you from falling into harmful patterns."

The book is Forgiving Others, Forgiving Ourselves: Understanding and Healing Emotional Wounds, written by Dr. Myra Warren Isenhart and Dr. Michael Spangle in case anyone is interested. I acknowledge this type of redemptive remembering and forgiveness can only happen at a certain stage of forgiveness or of a person's processing of painful circumstances. When wounds are too fresh, this might not work, or be helpful. However, as I reflect back on my classmate's careless comment, it had less to do with his ignorance and more to do with my inability to speak up for myself, though granted, his ignorance still smarted. What I am most upset about is that I didn't say anything. I just laughed like it was totally okay to be spoken to like this. Part of me thinks what would I have said? However, I could've at least tell him I didn't appreciate his disrespect.

I view my gaming as a game, yes, and as a fun pasttime, but my gaming, especially with the Sims, is more than just a hobby. It is an artistic pursuit. It is something that fuels my writing. I try and explain to others, but this doesn't always work. As a woman, as a gamer, as an artist, as a writer, and as a human being, I deserve respect. I don't expect everyone to understand, but I do expect to be respected.

This class has helped me realize that I need to ask for respect. I need to have healthy boundaries, because boundaries are respect. I am learning, and have been learning, before this class started, to be more assertive, to stand up for myself, and defend myself not from a defensive position but from the position that I am a woman, and more importantly, human being and I deserve respect. As I reflect on this particular experience, I realize I was feeling attacked as a gamer, an artist, a writer, a woman, and a human. I wouldn't ever correlate a classmate's personal choice to bring a cup of coffee to a night class with their hobbies and correlate that to their marital decisions. It seems like an extreme and inappropriate connection. However, this reflection has led me to be more vocal and assertive when I feel like someone says something that's out of line and to speak up when I feel disrespected. In this specific case, redemptive remembering has helped me.

I do think that my personal painful circumstances and past wrongdoings toward myself have influenced how I write, and what situations I put my Sims characters in because I believe attention needs to be drawn to harmful situations or negative thought patterns or bad social ills (and I believe this relates to something @MedleyMisty said earlier about seeing stuff like this in our games and stories). Some issues hit me harder than others, and somehow, processing some of these things, especially things that may have escaped real-life justice in my own life, doesn't in the Sims because I write them in such a way. Forgiveness of those who have done ill to me, even if I've never said so to said people or people groups directly, has helped me take some of the power of their actions back, and to take back control of a situation that may have left me feeling disappointed, angry, ashamed, or powerless. Writing Sims stories has been therapeutic for me in this regard, and healthy, and I dare anyone to tell me otherwise.

What about you all? How do you define healthy boundaries in your life? How do you respond when you feel "attacked" or questioned for your choice to play the Sims for example or write serious Sims stories? How would something like "redemptive remembering" help you in some circumstances perhaps? Something I have wrestled with is what does it mean to be a woman in higher education, in the nonprofit world, in the realm of artists and writers and gamers, and more specifically, Simmers? And how can my personal choices and attitudes and reactions to others come from a place of strength rather than defensiveness? I know these don't all apply to all of you, but any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited January 2017
    The pic won't share. I'll do it ok on my desktop later. :(

Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    JLBDreamer wrote: »

Also part of it is that I'm all into my new Seth story, and when I'm really into a story and feeling the creativity, I'm more extroverted and social and I need more input and I get restless and needy. I'll try to control that. ;)

All of us are dealing with self-doubt in some form and I know I have had to struggle with low-self esteem my whole life so never feel badly. That was my point above. Most of what "activists" now focus on is finding ways they think people are being oppressed and by focusing on that you compound anxiety over things you have no control over. What I mean is if and man and a woman with kids are on a bus and he gave his seat to her some feminists would actually say he is "opressing" her by saying women are weak and need a man to give them comfort. I would just say he's being nice. You can stress yourself out trying to figure out if someone's motives are good or bad with that kind of mindset. I hope you aren't adding to your anxiety. Try not to worry so much.

I think sometimes people just read into things way too much. *sigh*

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

I am very old.

Hapay belated WordPress birthday, @MedleyMisty .

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited January 2017
    @AdamsEve1231 I had to learn a lot about boundaries after the Bad Times. These days, I just drop people as soon as I feel anything off. Say anything gossipy about anyone else in the community, show any sign of reading the secrets, express a harsh judgemental opinion, and you're gone. Unfollowed, ignored, blocked, whatever. I don't have any patience anymore.

I've never met any resistance IRL to my gaming or writing. Even coworkers. They all think it's cool and interesting and that I'm good at writing. I've only ever had other Sims people be negative about it.

Also thanks about the WordPress thing. :)
    Post edited by MedleyMisty on