Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Yay - I am proud to say all 31 of my family members who had given up playing Sims 4 has not only asked for Sims 4 to be back on their gifting lists, they have all downloaded the update and have been playing the Sims 4 all weekend so far. It was funny that only about ten of them said they stopped Sims 4 because of no toddlers - but yet suddenly all 31 are again playing Sims 4 and doing nothing but talk about their games.

Yay - my real life family is "normal" again. Even more amazing instead of sitting around with their eyes glued to their cell phone - they are putting down the cell phones and playing their pcs. Mothers every where in my family are shocked. LOL.

And I still only know one (1) person IRL who plays The Sims 4. And it sure isn't me!

Well it's like this - I am the head of a very big family, and when I like something a lot - my family sort of follows. Sometimes it is rather weird - I know - but it is just the way it has always been. I tested the very first Sims game for Will Wright and have loved the Sims since the day I first tried them so much I shared much of that joy - often. I made Sims games as Christmas, Birthday, or what ever gifts. Made sure the giftee had a good pc that would play the game - hubby is a pc tech so was not a hard thing to do. You could say I have been a pretty good customer for EA - Like a walking/talking Sims advertisement where ever I go I was always promoting the Sims game as let's face it - in a world of tons of kill, kill,kill games is the wholesome Sims and the ability to even create ones own self. To experience life yet at the same time to indulge in fantasy's no where else available. Is also a good teaching tool for young players - I could go on, but you get the drift -

So naturally - I guess when I no longer liked the Sims well it sort of colored how many in my family felt about the game I so previously loved. It was I who made sure everyone knew the toddlers were back and that I immediately tried them and love them already. In less than 24 hours I had all the family back on track and back loving the Sims 4 too.

It is fun to have a lot of family that loves the game - and it always brings awareness of the Sims to new people too, as when my family is Simming and we gather together for a family thing well talk often drifts to the Sims which in turn gets newbies coureous and often a new customer for Maxis. LOL.

The number of 31 I count are just actual family that I know for a fact play the Sims besides me - I have no idea the numbers of people my own family members have persuaded to try the Sims who they have also brought into the fold though - LOL. I do think it could be said we have a Sim Dynasty though on the East Coast for sure.

I suppose if I was not the head of the family - and had not made sure they had the games and had not conjoled hubby into helping out with their pcs and such the numbers may have been lower, I can't say seeing that is not the way it is in my family. I do know my grand kids think I am just about the coolest grandmother ever or so they say a lot - so it is a very good thing in my book.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Interesting to see that this thread has been moved to GD. I couldn't see it in feedback but a few other toddlers threads have been moved there instead lol

I wonder why they moved it.

Yeah, while I'm happy to see it back on the general discussion forum, I'm a bit ambivalent because it kinda reinforces my argument that our posts are censored to heavily-handed force a positive tone in the forums. Now that the toddler issue has been resolved, let's allow players to gush on this insanely long and active thread (that was kept buried under feedback for two years). The positive praise for a successful implementation of toddlers does not negate the two years of silence that players had to endure. If they are restoring this thread now, there is no reason why it should have been moved in the first place. Meh. It's almost as if they view constructive feedback as a threat :unamused:
    It's possible whoever moved it reasoned something like this: Toddlers are in the game now (the main subject of the thread.. yes, I know family play is more than toddlers, but that's the main thing been asked for) filling a huge gap in family play, so now the family players don't necessarily need a "contained" thread where they can feel safe having their extended discussions about family play. They can now step into general and have discussions about toddlers with anybody and the conversations will flow freely and happily, cause toddlers are actually in the game.

It's also a bit outdated of a thread in its premise, as there is now some distinctly family play in the game, and we know that the devs have heard the feedback and they were wanting to do tots since launch.

My recommendation would be that if you guys have other aspects of family play you want to focus on asking for, to make a fresh thread in feedback (or the ideas section) and talk about features, ideas, and whatnot. That way it will be easier to find and read through for the devs. If you just want a space that's about sharing in family play, this thread hasn't gone anywhere (it's not like they closed it), but you could make a thread specifically about sharing family moments, kind of like the happy play mega thread.

Really there is loads of whole family ideas and a display. This thread has never just been about toddlers @Triplis. This thread is a goldmine of information of the whole family experience. I'm reluctant for that to be abandoned just because we got one of the requests fulfilled. That wouldn't be fair to the amount of people who spent their time creating really good articulate feedback about the kind of family play that speaks to them and who for whatever reason can no longer be here.

I've volunteered plenty of times to collate those posts for the Sim Gurus because I know their time is precious and I know where to look. That is always open for them. I did it with the ideas for toddler thread ;)
    Hmm. Maybe it'd be good to collate the posts and then use them as the starting point for a new thread in feedback. That way all of the info is compiled together and it's all about feedback/insight on the family play experience. With toddlers being out, it might attract a lot of interesting additions to the conversation as well.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    I agree on the collecting together some more family feedback and putting it in a separate thread, and then having a happy Family Pic thread as a separate thing. We need to keep providing more constructive feedback for the family play, for sure!

So, what's next on the awesome family agenda? :smiley:
    -More teen Generations-like content like prom, graduation, etc? Curfews, discipline/rewards system?
    -#Free the Crib Object Babies??? (If it's possible?)
    -More elderly content?
    -More home activities for adults?
    -More content for the tots and allowing them to be officially let in restaurants, etc?
    -University?

-Any more things anyone can think of to add? Any more details to add? :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    I also found it quite amusing that they moved this thread back to the General discussion. It's like they tried to put this thread on"mute" while they worked on toddlers for 2 years. Lol, in a sense, I guess this thread was treated like a nagging wife. The husband is trying so hard to accomplish what the wife is nagging about, but she just keeps going on, and on, and on so he eventually tunes her out. Lol horrible metaphor but that's how I feel.

Nevertheless, Simmers can continue to happily share family play, feedback, ideas, and stories.
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Time zones and all that, sorry I didn't get back to respond to your replies about my question re: teaching toddlers to walk immediately on aging.

I also like it. It does solve the locomotion issues and allows so much more toddler autonomy. I think it was well thought out and a great decision on part of the development team.

If your sim goes and ages up an NPC baby your sim will also auto teach that toddler to walk so the whole system is really good. Have to say I have 'infested' all my NPC households with toddlers. lol
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    edited January 2017
    Off topic question, and it may be a silly one.

Question answered.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    missmani09 wrote: »
    Off topic question, and it may be a silly one.
    I plan on buying the Sims Dine Out here soon.
    Can a sim still open and run a restaurant business with only Dine Out installed?
    Or would that require the Get to Work EP?

GTW isn't required, just DO. :)
    I'm all about sales.
    Had I had an inkling of knowing that TS4 would bring toddlers, I would have racked up on TS4 games.
    Like I said I am about to purchase Dine Out for the reasonable price of $20.
    I think I am also going to purchase either Kid's room or Movie Hangout stuff pack.
    I'm also big on CC content. That's why I hardly ever buy stuff packs.
    What Stuff pack has been the most useful for you guys in regards to gameplay and/or CC content?
    When do you all suspect the next big TS4/Origin sales?
    The next holiday is Valentine's day. I'm thinking they may patch something in, but not so sure about a Sale.

Any known discount codes floating around?
    I don't mind spending roughly $40 today, but I have to get a BANG from my bucks. I'm just so indecisive.
    I've played every EP, SP, and GP essentially, but I'm trying to pin point exactly what (a rotational family player) would best benefit me.
    When I played CL, I liked the highrise living feeling in apartments, but that's about it. Got bored after a while
    GTW; I could never finish playing an acitive career b/c it was all too repetitive. Owning a business was boring.
    GT; The idea of clubs were pretty nice.

TS4 items I am NOT interested in: Outdoor retreat, vintage glamour, Spooky stuff
    @missmani09 I'd advise you search google for the titles you are interested in and click on the shopping tab to see the cheapest in your area :) just make sure the place you buy from has good reviews :)

I was shopping around the other night to see what I could get for TS4.

And I'll add my name to the 'I would've bought if I knew toddlers were coming' thing. I bought the base when I trusted the team to make them. I only gave up hope because of the constant ignoring of the issue, or worse, when things were said to undermine that hope.

Thanks sparkfairy. Never thought of that!
    & I'm happy to say Maxis is now giving me a glimmer of hope for TS4.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I agree on the collecting together some more family feedback and putting it in a separate thread, and then having a happy Family Pic thread as a separate thing. We need to keep providing more constructive feedback for the family play, for sure!

So, what's next on the awesome family agenda? :smiley:
    -More teen Generations-like content like prom, graduation, etc? Curfews, discipline/rewards system?
    -#Free the Crib Object Babies??? (If it's possible?)
    -More elderly content?
    -More home activities for adults?
    -More content for the tots and allowing them to be officially let in restaurants, etc?
    -University?

-Any more things anyone can think of to add? Any more details to add? :smile:

Curfews would be nice if they were player-option -- you could have one family that's super-strict and another one where anything goes. Something that's never been done that I know of would be joint hobbies -- hobbies/activities where two Sims work together on a project. Could be something like a mom and daughter fixing up a car together, or dad and son making a mechanical sculpture. Definitely more toddler content is needed, both CASsets (hair, clothing) and objects; outside play equipment like a toddler slide, a sandbox, swings, or those spring rides like we had in Sims 3 (sandbox could build Imagination while the others could build Movement). If we ever got a Pool Fun pack a wading pool and toddler swimsuits would be awesome (with baggy bottoms to cover the diaper).

Since people found Pets coding in the patch, that may be on the horizon; I hope they'll remember a lot of cute interactions between toddlers and pets. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    I haven't got a toddler yet (although I have a baby on the way), but I'm planning to pick up three of the stuff packs (Kids, garden and vintage, because I love art deco). I'm going to wait a bit for the expansions; I'm undecided on GTW, but the other two seem promising. I was never a huge fan of 'follow your sim to work' jobs, as opposed to skill-based self-employment (writer, painter, horsewoman). As far as the Game packs, I may get Spa day - I already had OR and I'm not so interested in vampires. Dine Out is the up-in-the-air one. I'll probably end up with all the stuff packs eventually, just because I'm an inherent collector.

At any rate, I've placed a new room for the new baby and discovered some far better walls and floors for the older sister's bed- and bathrooms than I had. They were way too mature-looking. Of course, there are so many drawings on the walls it's hard to tell what the wallpaper looks like! :p And dad went to a rather bizarre birthday 'party'. I tried to take mom as well, but for some reason only dad went, and the 'party' consisted of him and the birthday girl, who caused further confusion by looking rather like mom so at first I though the only attendees were my two family sims. For lack of anything else 'birthday' or 'party', I had dad bake a chocolate cake (which at least didn't get him scolded for being inappropriate, like in Sims 3) and it was a good cake but a lousy party. And at the end, dad just hung around at the other house until I broke up the group and sent him home.
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    I'm actually pretty shocked we're not getting a toddlers/kids themed stuff pack this quarter. They would have made a fortune if they had released one this week.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I'm actually pretty shocked we're not getting a toddlers/kids themed stuff pack this quarter. They would have made a fortune if they had released one this week.

I think that as they had a 'Kids Room SP' last year you don't need to make one at the moment. Maybe later this year or next year once they have picked up on some new ideas they could have something that includes toddler stuff as well
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I imagine that packs will now include a little something for toddlers.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Yep...Instead we will stock up on CC for them.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    this thread must be closed, as Maxis made Toddlers update
  • emperorq52emperorq52 Posts: 98 Member
    I'm all about sales.
    Had I had an inkling of knowing that TS4 would bring toddlers, I would have racked up on TS4 games.
    I think I am also going to purchase either Kid's room or Movie Hangout stuff pack.
    What Stuff pack has been the most useful for you guys in regards to gameplay and/or CC content?
    The next holiday is Valentine's day. I'm thinking they may patch something in, but not so sure about a Sale.

I don't mind spending roughly $40 today, but I have to get a BANG from my bucks. I'm just so indecisive.
    I've played every EP, SP, and GP essentially, but I'm trying to pin point exactly what (a rotational family player) would best benefit me.
    When I played CL, I liked the highrise living feeling in apartments, but that's about it. Got bored after a while
    GTW; I could never finish playing an acitive career b/c it was all too repetitive. Owning a business was boring.

TS4 items I am NOT interested in: Outdoor retreat, vintage glamour, Spooky stuff

I just discovered this website that has certain packs for sell at a discount, I just purchased CL from them so it's legit. I think you just have to pay using PayPal though. They also have the Dine Out bundle, that comes with DO, Movie Hangout and Romantic Garden for $19 gamesdeal.com/the-sims-4-bundle-pack-3.html. I would buy it myself to get DO, but I already have MH and RG. Hope this helps you out!
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @bythedreadwolf, I just so happened to find your thread before coming over here and I added a bit to it. Just a few ideas off the top of my head.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

blewis823 wrote: »
    My sim parents immediately taught the toddler to walk right after aging, never thought about crawling. So that must be missing. Hmm.

I am loving the ideas for the other age stages and wholeheartedly welcome those changes, especially for teens. I suspect a Generations EP is coming and we have to buy the changes, although I don't think teen height will ever change. :)

Do anyone feel like someone got some play in the offices and waited until Rachel's gone to get the ball rolling? Wasn't some of the toddler's files already in the game, just needed to be finished and maybe Rachel blocked it? Do you think the sims team are going to implement more stuff that makes Sims 4 more like a sims game? Just some thoughts running through my mind.

I was thinking along similar lines. They have someone in charge who understands and knows just what The Sims game is, and are happily guiding it back in that direction (I hope so).
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

I think that as they had a 'Kids Room SP' last year you don't need to make one at the moment. Maybe later this year or next year once they have picked up on some new ideas they could have something that includes toddler stuff as well

Could you imagine if they released a SP just focused on toddlers!?!?! People would flip their tops! :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm all about sales.

I like sales too, but I don't think toddlers alone would have enabled me to enjoy my game and I didn't want to wait to play as it takes me a long time to play my sims (I play with ageing off). From what I heard family play has been added incrementally and the AI has improved with the EPs. I think lot traits from City Life are essential (or is this a patch? I never patched my game past April last year) and while I don't use the club system now (and won't until my kids become teens) I think GT also strengthen community and family interactions. Dine Out is for family outings (with tots included). And even though you say that you're not keen on Outdoor Retreat, if the GT world doesn't suffice for a family vacation--I think you should reconsider that pack :smile:
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm still wow'ed and amazed at how good the toddler update is. I have to say this is Maxis best work yet. The level of depth to these little guys is just awesome. I'm not just saying this because toddlers are the content I was waiting on...Moving forward with whatever content we get in the future seems a lot more promising and hopefully has more depth as well.

Since toddlers I purchased City Living and Vintage Glamour. I bought Dine Out the night before toddlers arrived. I will try to purchase more missing content in the near future. I have my eye on Spa Day, Kids Room Stuff, and the Back Yard SP.

I'm hoping for a Generations style GP at some point but I can now patiently wait for it. They surprised me so much with toddlers that I'm no longer wishing for everything to be just like Sims 2 and 3 anymore. I'm more open to waiting for something better if that makes sense.

Anyway, good on you Maxis and EA!

ETA: Can't you just see these little munchkins playing with paint and making a huge mess? I would love to see some improvement for builders soon.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2017
    leo3487 wrote: »
    this thread must be closed, as Maxis made Toddlers update
    It's not just a toddler thread if you read it so no it will not be closed. @sparkfairy1 and the rest of the family players are welcome to have a thread to bond in just as much as the happy play thread. Both are safe zones in the forum community along with the favorite screenshots thread. Gurus have posted in it too which has been nice like @SimGuruBChick, @SimGuruLyndsay, and @SimGuruDrake. Please be respectful that all Simmers deserve to have an area to feel welcome to post in.

On that note #freeBabies, #attentiontoelders, #giveteensacne, #familyinteractionswithpets. ;)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top