Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC in subfolders?

Just a quick question: can you put CC in sub folders like you can for TS2?

example: Mods > my_subfolder > files

Comments

• LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Yup. Do that with my CC all the time. If I didn't it would utter chaos in there! Just note that if you move a file, it could make you have to reset say an outfit or hairstyle. Eg. when I first organized my CC, the CC hair I had for two of my sims disappeared on their heads. I just needed to give them back their hair was all. No harm no foul.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Thanks for the info and the heads up. I guess this means I need to get organised before I go on a CC spree as I'm infamous for reorganising my downloads :lol: Starting with mods and cc careers! And looking for body freckles :love:
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Glad to help and glad to see you being happy. :) Happy simming and happy shopping spree. Found a new MM CC toddler hair on modthesims that will be nice for a female toddler with long hair (The braid one).
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    edited January 2017
    You can like someone else said, but be careful not to have too many sub-sub folders xD I know you can have a sub folder, but sometimes when you have too many sub folders inside a sub folder the cc doesn't show in your game...I hope that makes sense
    Post edited by Callum2000 on
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    You may want to keep script mods outside of sub-folders as well. I've found that they don't like to work if they're in sub-folders.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    You may want to keep script mods outside of sub-folders as well. I've found that they don't like to work if they're in sub-folders.

This. It's only CC that you want in subfolders. Leave the rest in the main folder. But you can go about 4 or 5 folders deep.

Another CC tip! Rename files so there's only numbers and letters, maybe the underscore. It speeds game performance noticeably.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

This. It's only CC that you want in subfolders. Leave the rest in the main folder. But you can go about 4 or 5 folders deep.

Another CC tip! Rename files so there's only numbers and letters, maybe the underscore. It speeds game performance noticeably.

Thanks you guys, I had scripts in subfolders :confounded: moving them out now! But not sure, I see .py and .ts4script and .package for mods, can I keep the mods with .package in subfolders and should the .py and .ts4scripts be moved to the main folder?

@luthienrising - this is so true! The special chars and spaces affects TS2 game performance as well.
    I'll stick to 2 subfolders max: Category (s1) > CreatorName-PackageName (s2) > Files

example: cas > mts_kisafayd-darker_freckles > *.package

From what I'm hearing this won't be an issue, yes?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Nope, from what I've heard, using subfolders doesn't cause any lag or anything, and you're way above the max nesting there :)

I'm not sure which .package files can get nested, so I just go by what a mod does. I do CC = subfolder, everything else = not. Saves thinking harder :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

• [...]

I didn't know that! :open_mouth: Good to know. Thank you very much, @luthienrising!
    Happy Simming! <3
    Is it possible to change the name of the scripts so that they can be organised?

For example, I have a script date_and_time.py. In a week from now I will have no idea what this means or who the creator is :confounded: Would it be possible to rename this script to mod_creatorName_slowTime.py?
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Also another tip, don't rename scripts, you can freely rename packeage files, but leave the scripts alone and place them in the main folder.
    Also don't make too many sub-folder, heard its not a particular good idea.
    Thanks. Won't rename them. I reckon if I go crazy with CC the way I do with TS4 I'm going to need a database to keep track of my content.
    Yeah it can be hard to sort. I would suggest keeping the pictures that comes with some of the hair and name them the same, then you can easily see what's what. Or download SimStudio in there you can open up the hair and see how it looks and then delete it from there.
    edited January 2017
    For CC, I'm using only one subfolder.
    Mods > category_creatorName_content > *.package
    example: Mods > cas_mtskisafayd_darkerFreckles > *.package

For scripts, I'm not renaming them at all and keeping them directly under Mods > *.py/ts4script/package
    example: Mods > Neia_nomorerelationshipculling.ts4script

Wish me luck! Off to play again. :smile:
    Good luck!

Just remember it doesn't always say what the CC is named in the game. So filtering can be hard! But have fun!
  • SVTSimmerSVTSimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    What about when a mod already has it's own folder? Lets say i downloaded hair cc. The cc downloaded in a folder, including the *actual file, an image and maybe instructions. What am i supposed to do then? I have a lot of cc and a lot of subfolders so it would be a pain going through everything so that the folders are only 4-5 subfolders in. So does the example i gave before count as a subfolder as well?
    -My example was: Mods File>SUBFOLDER>Hair CC Folder>Actual CC File, an image, instructions.
    And of course as i have a lot of cc most of them are in that format: folder>contents (cc file, image, occasionally instructions). Would that be an issue? I would really appreciate if anyone replied! Sorry, if i haven't made myself clear..
  • SVTSimmerSVTSimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    Also i am currently trying to put all my cc under the actual mods file (that comes with the game) and then arrange them into subfolders. Although it may seem contradictory to what i said about it being a pain- lol it most definitely will but hopefully it will also be worth it! But even if i do so, some cc will remain (as it did when i downloaded it) having its own folder so that would be the *actual* pain (having to remove the actual file from the folder and then delete the folder- you see what i mean?). Well this has been a lesson lol, will definitely be more careful with subfolders and cc in the future.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I leave my scripts in the main folder, but make sub-folders for everything else. I had several folders in TS3 as well.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @luthienrising - Are you sure that you're able to have that many subfolders for CC on a Mac? I had it like this:

Mods --> Hair --> [CC download folder of many hairs at once] --> individual hairs

And the hairs were no longer accessible in my game. But then I changed it to this:

Mods --> Hair --> individual hairs

And the hairs reappeared in my game on all the Sims they'd been on previously.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited August 2017
    lasummerb wrote: »
    I leave my scripts in the main folder, but make sub-folders for everything else. I had several folders in TS3 as well.

Same here, mostly. I also leave my script mods in zip files in the main folder. In fact, the game will automatically detect any .zip files it finds as script mods, whether they are intended to be or not. Other kind of archive files however, like .7z or .rar the game doesn't detect at all.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Ivaine18Ivaine18 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey you guys :)
    I am a player for 8 years and still have issues with that subfolder thing.
    I know I can create them, but can I create a subfolder in a subfolder?
    Like this : Mods->CAS->Hair->.package
    At the moment it looks like this : Mods->CAS->.package
    It would be easier to organize all my CC, if it would be possible to create a subfolder in my subfolders :D
  • Darkshadow73Darkshadow73 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Ivaine18 said:
    > Hey you guys :)
    > I am a player for 8 years and still have issues with that subfolder thing.
    > I know I can create them, but can I create a subfolder in a subfolder?
    > Like this : Mods->CAS->Hair->.package
    > At the moment it looks like this : Mods->CAS->.package
    > It would be easier to organize all my CC, if it would be possible to create a subfolder in my subfolders :D

If you want to have Sub-folders in you mods folder make sure you have the file Resource.cfg.
    And if you don't you can create one using Notepad++
    And you would type everything like this
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package

and save the file name as this Resource.cfg
    And make sure the file extension is .cfg and not .txt
    > @Darkshadow73 said:
    > > @Ivaine18 said:
    > > Hey you guys :)
    > > I am a player for 8 years and still have issues with that subfolder thing.
    > > I know I can create them, but can I create a subfolder in a subfolder?
    > > Like this : Mods->CAS->Hair->.package
    > > At the moment it looks like this : Mods->CAS->.package
    > > It would be easier to organize all my CC, if it would be possible to create a subfolder in my subfolders :D
    >
    > If you want to have Sub-folders in you mods folder make sure you have the file Resource.cfg.
    > And if you don't you can create one using Notepad++
    > And you would type everything like this
    > Priority 500
    > PackedFile *.package
    > PackedFile */*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package
    >
    > and save the file name as this Resource.cfg
    > And make sure the file extension is .cfg and not .txt

or instead you can copy your mods folder to your desk top to make a copy and then delete the mods folder that is in your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. Do not delete the copy you put on your desktop or you will lose all of your mods and custom content.
    > @Darkshadow73 said:
    > > @Darkshadow73 said:
    > > > @Ivaine18 said:
    > > > Hey you guys :)
    > > > I am a player for 8 years and still have issues with that subfolder thing.
    > > > I know I can create them, but can I create a subfolder in a subfolder?
    > > > Like this : Mods->CAS->Hair->.package
    > > > At the moment it looks like this : Mods->CAS->.package
    > > > It would be easier to organize all my CC, if it would be possible to create a subfolder in my subfolders :D
    > >
    > > If you want to have Sub-folders in you mods folder make sure you have the file Resource.cfg.
    > > And if you don't you can create one using Notepad++
    > > And you would type everything like this
    > > Priority 500
    > > PackedFile *.package
    > > PackedFile */*.package
    > > PackedFile */*/*.package
    > > PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    > > PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    > > PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package
    > >
    > > and save the file name as this Resource.cfg
    > > And make sure the file extension is .cfg and not .txt
    >
    > or instead you can copy your mods folder to your desk top to make a copy and then delete the mods folder that is in your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. Do not delete the copy you put on your desktop or you will lose all of your mods and custom content.

Forgot to mention after you delete the mods folder then run your game as normal and it will create the Resource.cfg. and then you can exit the game and copy all your custom content and mods back into the mods folder.. Before you do that you can create folders to keep things organized. But keep scripts and mods in the main folder and just put the custom content into folders